For want of water: Another dry winter...

For want of water: Another dry winter could push Trinity River ...

There are 17 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Apr 12, 2009, titled For want of water: Another dry winter could push Trinity River .... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

California's drought may push the Trinity River close to crisis this year, and it will take a lot of rain next winter to prevent that plight from getting far worse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

thanks for all the fish

Mckinleyville, CA

#1 Apr 12, 2009
What a bunch of morons. If there is going to be a projected shortfall in storage in the late summer, then it would be prudent to forestall the spring release for just this one year and rely on watersheds below the dam to contribute to the spring flow. In that way the water behind Trinity Dam can be "banked" to be released into the river over the late summer/early fall months. But you can bet on our government know-how to do everything feasible to destroy the fisheries resource.
Middle-o-the-str ea m

Arcata, CA

#2 Apr 12, 2009
stop diversion now.
Middle-o-the-str ea m

Arcata, CA

#3 Apr 12, 2009
Go to the Tea Party

HumCo courthouse

April 15
mjd

Martinez, CA

#4 Apr 12, 2009
trinity reservoir is not a "lake", never has been, never will be. cut the central valley off as well as the russian river from the eel.
Kuzinski

San Pablo, CA

#5 Apr 12, 2009
Interesting article. I'd like to see a map of all those connections. The complexities of each give-and-take of water can be overwhelming. Cut back on water flow and the temperatures rise and the fish die. Increase water flow to maintain temperatures and perhaps not have enough for a later time. Didn't I read in "Cadillac Desert" an idea of a canal coming down from Canada into the southwest U.S. Wouldn't that be interesting. Add a little tunnel to send some of that water to Lake Shasta to relieve pressure on the Trinity. Fantasies are cheap and plentiful.8342
Kuzinski

San Pablo, CA

#6 Apr 12, 2009
Two fascinating books dealing with water resources: "Cadillac Desert" and "King of California." Very well written and interesting reads. Not dull at all.
Kuzinski

San Pablo, CA

#7 Apr 12, 2009
I'm sitting in Berkeley and my location says "Los Angeles, CA" Anyone have an idea why?
Eurekan

Eureka, CA

#8 Apr 12, 2009
I have an idea - stop the diversions to the central valley so we can have a healthy river again.
Daddy

United States

#9 Apr 12, 2009
Forget the fish the indians can eat spam.
Nick

United States

#10 Apr 12, 2009
Trinity Lake? WTF Lake is there?
What areas should be concerned about having enough water?
Eel man

Oakland, CA

#11 Apr 13, 2009
STOP diversions of the Eel and the Trinty rivers. My grankids will have a creek to visit on these rivers. STOP the flow to the Russian river for grapes. Are Congressman has grape growers money lining his pocket. When june comes the Eel will look like the end of summer.
Eel man

Oakland, CA

#12 Apr 13, 2009
Take the money from the fisherman building and fund the money to the restoration of the Eel. the bussiness on the river will hire more people and have something better than grow pot.
common sence

San Rafael, CA

#13 May 6, 2009
Bureau of Reclamation,
Create jobs by adding 30feet to the top of Shasta & Trinity and when the heavy winter returns and it will according to history we will have millions more of acre feet of water. In the meantime, tell southern Ca. to spend thier like we did and over ride the enviromentalists and build some dams! When the population increases like it has and will continue, reservoirs are the answer. Jobs, recreation like fishing, skiing,camping & the state can charge to use the areas. Good family fun!
tree huggers FFFFF them

Firebaugh, CA

#14 May 12, 2009
Why is everyone so damn concerned with these fish?? Maybe everyone should pull their heads out of their asses and give us water. We grow the cotton that clothes their backs. We grow the strawberries, tomatoes, well evrything they eat! Give us water. Screw the fish. Keeping the money in the central valley and state of california instead of outsourcing for our foods would deffinately help californias economy!
trinity lake

United States

#15 May 26, 2009
I know, we should split the state in two, cut it off in redding then we will not have to worry about all the people in the central valley taking all of our water! We have everything we need to survive in Northern California. Let them get their water somewhere else.
move

Oakland, CA

#16 May 26, 2009
tree huggers FFFFF them wrote:
Why is everyone so damn concerned with these fish?? Maybe everyone should pull their heads out of their asses and give us water. We grow the cotton that clothes their backs. We grow the strawberries, tomatoes, well evrything they eat! Give us water. Screw the fish. Keeping the money in the central valley and state of california instead of outsourcing for our foods would deffinately help californias economy!
f*** the so cal fruits u live in desert if u want water move
mike dicarlo

Livermore, CA

#17 Apr 28, 2010
I still don't understand why Shasta and whiskey have mucho water and Trinity is 100 vert. ft. low.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Joaquin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homicide in Mendota (Feb '08) Apr '17 Rigo 6
News Orange Cove spent lavishly on a BMX park that i... (May '09) Feb '17 Peter 83
Kerman Ca, Girl and two sons are missing. (Jan '15) Dec '16 Bowiemantx 4
News This judge says toddlers can defend themselves ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Truthfull 2
News REACHing everyone is goal of Stockton activist (Sep '14) Sep '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
News Episcopal dispute at a glance (May '14) Jun '14 Joe DeCaro 76
Michelle Hyde (May '14) May '14 Virginia 1

San Joaquin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Joaquin Mortgages