Shelter Dilemma

There are 13 comments on the The Press-Enterprise story from Apr 25, 2008, titled Shelter Dilemma. In it, The Press-Enterprise reports that:

“He was approximately 30 inches long and well fed, about 1½ inches in diameter through the midsection”

Riverside County officials' proposal to build a regional center for the homeless, possibly in Homeland or Romoland, might not doom Valley Restart Shelter, which provides the same, sometimes controversial ... via The Press-Enterprise

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Press-Enterprise.

Ann

Santa Ana, CA

#1 Apr 28, 2008
When did Romoland become the dumping place for all of Riverside County's ills? What is our elected politician (Marion Ashley) doing to keep our town's best interest at the forefront of the matter? We do not have the resources to support something of this scale, and it is “GREAT” that Riverside County cities advised they would be "RESPONSIBLE" for their homeless in Romoland, but that is neither practical nor believable. Again, our politicians are stating they will feed us Fillet Mignon, when they are plopping dog food on our plates. If they are not willing to support their homeless in their own cities, why would I expect them to support them in a separate area/ Romoland? We do not need our peace and quiet interrupted with all that comes along with homeless shelters (drug, alcohol use, etc...) This shelter needs to be placed in a CITY where it can be best utilized and managed. Not a small town with limited resources. Any city that has it’s own police force to address the aforementioned issues would work and be the most practical choice. I consider this proposal and other "Romoland" inspired proposals by the Riverside County Council to be and attack on the Romoland residents' way of life. If these attacks on Romoland residents continue to occur, we need to seriously consider who is representing us and elect someone quickly who WILL represent us. It appears we have no representation currently, or the representation we have has other vested interests contrary to our best interests.
More Hemet Shelters

United States

#3 Sep 21, 2010
isn't there enough shelters there? how long are you Hemetians going to put up with this nonsense?
Charles Fitzberg

La Mirada, CA

#4 Oct 19, 2012
How about the Salton Sea?
Ben

Hemet, CA

#5 Oct 19, 2012
Actually, Salton Sea sounds like a great idea, but I think the shelter has to be in Riverside County. And do Romoland and Homeland still exist? I know it's an old post but I thought they were annexed to Menifee.
Lisa

Moreno Valley, CA

#6 Oct 21, 2012
Ben wrote:
Actually, Salton Sea sounds like a great idea, but I think the shelter has to be in Riverside County. And do Romoland and Homeland still exist? I know it's an old post but I thought they were annexed to Menifee.
Yes. Romoland and Homeland still exist. Menifee was only able to take half of Romoland north of Mapes. If they want to build a shelter, it should be built near city centers not the outskirts of "new" cities, or near small towns where there are no services, industry/jobs, tranportation, or police force to support that population.
Curious

San Bernardino, CA

#7 Oct 21, 2012
The RTA services that area. There are no jobs "in town" either, and the available police are busy with the section 8'ers, so yeah, we need to spread them around a little bit.
in the salton sea

La Mirada, CA

#8 Oct 22, 2012
How about inside the Salton Sea so they can float like they float their big checks they get from churches who need write offs.
Kat

Rowland Heights, CA

#9 Oct 22, 2012
how about Mexico?
but Kat

La Mirada, CA

#10 Oct 22, 2012
but Kat that is so un PC? and how can these freebie places with officers who depend on donations to justify being on the corporate boards if there's no needy to solicit funds for like some place in HEMET....

you mean that the U.S.A. should have stricter border securtiy like SOUTHERN MEXICO where they kill central Americans who cross, but WE give them free food, shelter, drivers licenses, HUD, section 8, food stamps....

my my my maybe America will grow a pair one day....YEAH, HOW ABOUT MEXICO? GOOD IDEA
Serious

San Bernardino, CA

#11 Oct 22, 2012
With so-called leaders such as L.A.'s mayor Villa Ragosa wanting to give I.D.'s, you just might as well give up on closing the border. You should not spend one cent in L.A. He makes the problem bigger, and then it just spreads.
Kat

Rowland Heights, CA

#12 Oct 24, 2012
Serious wrote:
With so-called leaders such as L.A.'s mayor Villa Ragosa wanting to give I.D.'s, you just might as well give up on closing the border. You should not spend one cent in L.A. He makes the problem bigger, and then it just spreads.
your so right.
Meg

United States

#13 Sep 16, 2015
Ann wrote:
When did Romoland become the dumping place for all of Riverside County's ills? What is our elected politician (Marion Ashley) doing to keep our town's best interest at the forefront of the matter? We do not have the resources to support something of this scale, and it is “GREAT” that Riverside County cities advised they would be "RESPONSIBLE" for their homeless in Romoland, but that is neither practical nor believable. Again, our politicians are stating they will feed us Fillet Mignon, when they are plopping dog food on our plates. If they are not willing to support their homeless in their own cities, why would I expect them to support them in a separate area/ Romoland? We do not need our peace and quiet interrupted with all that comes along with homeless shelters (drug, alcohol use, etc...) This shelter needs to be placed in a CITY where it can be best utilized and managed. Not a small town with limited resources. Any city that has it’s own police force to address the aforementioned issues would work and be the most practical choice. I consider this proposal and other "Romoland" inspired proposals by the Riverside County Council to be and attack on the Romoland residents' way of life. If these attacks on Romoland residents continue to occur, we need to seriously consider who is representing us and elect someone quickly who WILL represent us. It appears we have no representation currently, or the representation we have has other vested interests contrary to our best interests.
I agree . I can't believe the negative changes inour little town, its not safe at nite any more nor is it safe in the day time . Our little town would rather have a burger joint then a homeless shelter.
marcy k

Hemet, CA

#15 Sep 29, 2015
ROMOLAND IS TOO FAR
AWAY TO MAKE
A BIG DIFFERENCE ANYWAY

i think so

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Jacinto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hemet - The worst city to live in california (Dec '14) Tue Homelander 37
Hemet-San Jacinto gang sweep nets 22 arrests (Nov '14) Tue Homelander 4
News Border Patrol agent arrested in sexual battery ... (May '11) May 23 Doyle McCurley 12
Lookin for jesse May 17 Donna 1
The Californian MHP managers making a change May 14 trouble196088 1
the californian mobile home park managed by drugie (Sep '10) May 14 trouble196088 22
Dirt Bag Gardener May 13 rajancajan 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Jacinto Mortgages