1 teen killed, 1 wounded in birthday ...

1 teen killed, 1 wounded in birthday party shooting

There are 161 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Apr 4, 2009, titled 1 teen killed, 1 wounded in birthday party shooting. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

A teenage boy was killed and another wounded Friday when an armed robber opened fire at a birthday party in an unincorporated county area near Whittier, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“I live vicariously through me”

Since: Dec 08

San Marino CA.

#3 Apr 4, 2009
I just saw the mother of the girl who had the party. She said her daughter is grounded.
211 Guy

Monrovia, CA

#4 Apr 4, 2009
Uncle_vito wrote:
I really feel bad, but when will these latinos realize you cannot have an 'open' party with 200-300 teenagers. The wrong 'dog' is going to come in the front door.
Not even folks in Beverly Hills do such a thing. You need to send out invites, then hire armed security and be sure that no one can crash the party by jumping a fence, for example.
Vito
I agree 100%!, what in the world were the parents thinking 200-300 kids at the same time-same place!!, some needs to go to jail for being STUPID. Like to hear from Police on this matter.
211 Guy

Monrovia, CA

#5 Apr 4, 2009
ChiliHead wrote:
I just saw the mother of the girl who had the party. She said her daughter is grounded.
How in world can a "girl" have party??, sure hope mother has good homeowners insurance and they have a sense of humor.

“Born in the USA”

Since: Feb 09

Pelican Bay

#6 Apr 4, 2009
That is a lot of people at one residential place, why weren't the police called earlier? What were they trying to take from the kid?

We live in a sick world.

By the way the T-Mobile G1 is a real great phone and web browser, I love it!
whittierite

Pico Rivera, CA

#7 Apr 4, 2009
I just hope people would just stop the blame game. Regardless who is at fault, what if this was a family gathering, like the grandmother was having her 80th b-day and all the grandkids, cousins, etc wer there. And let's say there were 200-300 people there, would your tone be any different..This is a sad situation, a boy's life was snatched early in life, the family is suffering, and the killer is still out there. Are you aware that in the city of whittier, it is becoming common that there is a thing called pocket check going on, innocent kids are being confronted even in broad daylight and are being beat up, plus. Please, keep the family and friends in your thoughts and prayers, hope they find the selfish idiot that commited this horrific crime. That is all these people need is for people to be saying, "what were the parents thinking." What are you thinking by being so insensative.
man bear pig

La Habra, CA

#9 Apr 4, 2009
200-300 teens at a birthday party? In unincorporated South Whittier? Very unfortunate, but hardly a surprise. Obviously not enough supervision and too many invitations.
man bear pig

La Habra, CA

#10 Apr 4, 2009
whittierite wrote:
I just hope people would just stop the blame game. Regardless who is at fault, what if this was a family gathering, like the grandmother was having her 80th b-day and all the grandkids, cousins, etc wer there. And let's say there were 200-300 people there, would your tone be any different..This is a sad situation, a boy's life was snatched early in life, the family is suffering, and the killer is still out there. Are you aware that in the city of whittier, it is becoming common that there is a thing called pocket check going on, innocent kids are being confronted even in broad daylight and are being beat up, plus. Please, keep the family and friends in your thoughts and prayers, hope they find the selfish idiot that commited this horrific crime. That is all these people need is for people to be saying, "what were the parents thinking." What are you thinking by being so insensative.
Well, this was not in the City of Whittier, but in an area of unincorporated Los Angeles County with a Whittier PO. If this were a party for a grandmother, I seriously doubt that 200-300 TEENS would have shown up. Having a pary of any sort, for any occasion, in a residential area and having over 200 people in attendance requires special parking, portable toilets, etc. Most residences are not set up to handle that big of a crowd. The family is suffering because they should feel guilty for allowing this pary to get out of control, which led to this boy's death. You are right, when a young life ends so early, there is usually some one at fault. Sadly it is often partly the fault of the deceased, but no one wants to say it. Go ahead and be pissed at me, it will make you feel better to hate some one other than the people who caused this..
whittier gurl

La Habra, CA

#11 Apr 4, 2009
ChiliHead wrote:
I hope they take her cell phone, too!
Theresa

West Covina, CA

#12 Apr 4, 2009
I agree that there were too many people at the party. That was just asking for trouble. They should have rented a banquet room at a restaurant or something. Too bad they don't have a better description of the shooter. I really hope they catch him anyway.
blah

United States

#14 Apr 4, 2009
parties like this arent uncommon. the birthday party was probably for one of the kids. people send out massive texts. letting people know about it. and stuff like this happens. as for renting a banquet and what not. reasons they wouldnt do that is becuase they are underage kids who have the intention of drinking. you have to think like they do. its pretty unfortunate that this happened especially to Paul. i had him for a class back when i was a senior and he was a sophomore. my prayers go out to his family. but if you guys wanna play the blame game as you call it. it starts with the kids for making this party open to everyone. and also the parents for allowing their kids to have this party. ridiculous. well i hope the kids of whittier begin to make smarter decisions about what they do on their friday nights and saturday nights. and i pray that this guy who shot paul and the other boy just turns himself in. and has a change of heart. dont pray that he suffers pray that he changes.
angelina

La Mirada, CA

#15 Apr 4, 2009
RIP Paul :/
you'll be missed
Marleen Gonzlaes

Whittier, CA

#16 Apr 4, 2009
angelina wrote:
RIP Paul :/
you'll be missed
WOW THAT IS DEEP BUT YET SO TRUE!!!
MAY THEE LORD BE WITH HIS LOVE ONES!!!
Marleen Gonzlaes

Whittier, CA

#17 Apr 4, 2009
blah wrote:
parties like this arent uncommon. the birthday party was probably for one of the kids. people send out massive texts. letting people know about it. and stuff like this happens. as for renting a banquet and what not. reasons they wouldnt do that is becuase they are underage kids who have the intention of drinking. you have to think like they do. its pretty unfortunate that this happened especially to Paul. i had him for a class back when i was a senior and he was a sophomore. my prayers go out to his family. but if you guys wanna play the blame game as you call it. it starts with the kids for making this party open to everyone. and also the parents for allowing their kids to have this party. ridiculous. well i hope the kids of whittier begin to make smarter decisions about what they do on their friday nights and saturday nights. and i pray that this guy who shot paul and the other boy just turns himself in. and has a change of heart. dont pray that he suffers pray that he changes.
WOW THAT IS DEEP BUT YET SO TRUE!!!
MAY THEE LORD BE WITH HIS LOVE ONES!!!
Escape CA

AOL

#18 Apr 5, 2009
200-300? What kind of parents would allow such a thing? Negligent ones. It is horrible that the young boy was killed by the latino bandito, though, and I feel horrible about it.

But what kind of BS is a 300 teen "birthday party" and I'd bet $1000 that it was a boozy one at that, maybe even provided by a parent, though that's just speculation, admittedly.
dontgetit

United States

#19 Apr 5, 2009
If only the police actually "cruised their beat" instead of hiding out somewhere exchanging war stories...maybe this killing would of been prevented. They always seem to react after the fact...oh well, life and killings go on in the SGV.
Party Neighbor

La Mirada, CA

#20 Apr 5, 2009
Everyone is so quick to judge this sixteen year old female party promotor / organizer that aparently has 200+ close friends that she sent invites too...all RSVP'd and showed up! This 1ss6 yr olds parties seem to be quite the attraction! especially since it was her first one, so great that the party attracted those from several schools miles away.. who care about your age! I seriously dont think the fact that the kids being on vacation had anything to do with the attendance. Arent most teenage parties this size? SHe's ucky too, my parents not only worked the door at my parties when i grew up but they were able to hire security and valet parking!

This is nothing to take likely, knowledge is power! We need to teach common sense and educate our children teaching that there is a limit to everything! Sadly a life was taken.

Im simply trying to make a point here, I am deeply sadened for the families loss and send condolences to his friends and family.... it iust so sad how a teen party can suddenly turn so tragic!

As for the trigger person... please turn yourself in... i promise, you will be safer in there!
Doc Brown

Costa Mesa, CA

#21 Apr 5, 2009
Whittier is pretty ghetto these days, unfortunately it won't be getting any better. People are moving from Whittier to South Central L.A. these days because it's safer!
El Chorizo

United States

#22 Apr 5, 2009
Those who have nothing but negative comments are total jackholes, especially you doc brown. In a perfect world parties over spring break and when the parents are out of town and halls and portapotties and security and NO BEER SALES TO MINORS would be reality but this outcome was far from perfect. People remember, you don't have to wait until 10:00 PM to call for a loud party. The kid up the street with the car thumping the radio at 1:00 in the afternoon will get the cop's response too. If you saw 100 people in a small backyard like that, it's ok to call county fire too and the captain will come out and make an assessment it's a safety hazzard and have the police shut it down. Get involved people, and not just by making stupid comments on posts like this...
Mike

Monrovia, CA

#25 Apr 5, 2009
Party Neighbor wrote:
Everyone is so quick to judge this sixteen year old female party promotor / organizer that aparently has 200+ close friends that she sent invites too...all RSVP'd and showed up! This 1ss6 yr olds parties seem to be quite the attraction! especially since it was her first one, so great that the party attracted those from several schools miles away.. who care about your age! I seriously dont think the fact that the kids being on vacation had anything to do with the attendance. Arent most teenage parties this size? SHe's ucky too, my parents not only worked the door at my parties when i grew up but they were able to hire security and valet parking!
This is nothing to take likely, knowledge is power! We need to teach common sense and educate our children teaching that there is a limit to everything! Sadly a life was taken.
Im simply trying to make a point here, I am deeply sadened for the families loss and send condolences to his friends and family.... it iust so sad how a teen party can suddenly turn so tragic!
As for the trigger person... please turn yourself in... i promise, you will be safer in there!
Hire SECURITY and VALET PARKING !?, we have trouble paying the credit card bill for her enormous expenses for her everyday "Stuff", love her very much but when she gets married she better elope.
Party Place?.... Try Chucky-Cheese, dutch!
Vacation in Hawaii?, I just want to fill my gas tank!
Travis Bickle

Downey, CA

#26 Apr 5, 2009
It's Bush's fault!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Montebello housing project still on, despite sale (Jan '17) 1 hr Protect our health 14
Montebello CC Meeting On Livestream 2 hr Property Tax Payer 63
Review: Metrolink Train Ride from Los Angeles U... 3 hr TRAIN RIDE METROL... 19
Why Are People Leaving Your State? 5 hr Shyit whole Hawaii 9
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Like your package 35,359
National Hugging Day 7 hr National Hugging ... 1
Masked Vigilantes 9 hr Saywhat6605 1

San Gabriel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Gabriel Mortgages