One dead, two suffer major injuries i...

One dead, two suffer major injuries in Novato wreck

There are 55 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Sep 17, 2010, titled One dead, two suffer major injuries in Novato wreck. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

One person died just before noon Friday when a car was struck on Novato Boulevard by a big rig carrying cattle, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Being There

Novato, CA

#3 Sep 17, 2010
The Novato Advance has a real story on this if you want info. As usual the IJ's reporting is pathetic.
Sadly No Surprise

Novato, CA

#4 Sep 17, 2010
How sad. So many lives are impacted by this loss.

I walk this route every morning and see SMH School kids speeding along Novato Blvd all the time. They use this area as a drag strip and joy ride road. I have seen two cars speeding side-by-side in the straight area on the Novato side of the bridge - even one time, there were three!

Those kids who have cars speed out there to smoke dope. Those who don't drive hide in the bushes near Morning Star Horse Stables and the PG&E Sub Station.

I have spoken to Novato PD, begging them to put a patrolman off to the side off the road by this very spot. They would catch someone every day. Word would get around SMH very quickly.

They have told me this is not their jurisdiction and it has to be the CHP or Sheriff's job to do this. Whenever I've seen either in Tag's Deli, I have pleaded with them to put together a concerted effort to create a regular presence there.

A sad "what if" is that county pavers were working just up the road towards the lake today with signmen who were stopping traffic just past the golf course. If only they had been closer to Bowman Creek Bridge. Who knows?

The poor family of kid who died will never find peace. So sad.
eli

San Rafael, CA

#8 Sep 17, 2010
wow this driver was my friend.. and i know some people in the car this is so sad !!!!!
Christian P

Novato, CA

#9 Sep 17, 2010
Just another reason why high school campus should not have allow students off campus for lunch. Tragic...
jesse

Novato, CA

#11 Sep 17, 2010
in response to some of these post's

The bmw was a late 80's 525, thats not an expensive car...heck they can go for as cheap as $1500 for an ok one...

too much car?...just about any car will do 75-80 as per the truck drivers estimate...

and just about anyones foot can apply enough presurre to make a car 80 mph...

however, not enough people have the skill to manage a loss of control and even less have the level of responsibility to ensure that it does not happen on public roads by their own doing.

too fast too furious...this horrible movie has had a lasting impact on the racer boy youth of the last sevral years, from side shows to racing backroads, the media glorification of illegal racing around has had its....impact

fact is, the youth have got dumber and the population has increased thus upping the statistical possibilities of such things...

back when we were crazy kids, we would get up and go at 5:30 am and go race way out west near pt reyes where the line of vision shows the road so you can see way ahead of time if anyone was coming, and no one, I mean no one was out there in those days...atleast if you were gonna kill yourself, you would'nt take anybody else out...and we where aware of what we were doing...we were trying to minimize risk...intellegent youthful insanity....now days iq 2 is racing around everywhere all the time
ktg

Reno, NV

#12 Sep 17, 2010
The BMW was obviously very old since it didn't have air bags. I think the driver of the truck is the one who should get empathy- he will never forget this. RIP to the young person whose whole life was ahead of them. It is easy to cast a stone on the "youth" but I ran those roads ragged as a kid and it could have been any of us.
Dani

San Rafael, CA

#14 Sep 17, 2010
Being There wrote:
The Novato Advance has a real story on this if you want info. As usual the IJ's reporting is pathetic.
Thanks for the link to the REAL article... I have to agree this article is absolutely PATHETIC... MARIN IJ NEEDS TO STEP IT UP
Just a Thought

San Rafael, CA

#15 Sep 17, 2010
I was there.

Parents please talk with your kids about drinking and the dangers of getting into a car with a driver under the influence.

Sit down tonight with them and start the conversation.
DUH

San Rafael, CA

#16 Sep 17, 2010
Driver was DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!
belvborn

Goleta, CA

#17 Sep 17, 2010
Isn't there also a law that young/teen drivers cannot carry more than a certain number of passengers...like just one extra person or something? The law, if it's true, is a good one because too many people means partying, and distraction.
We all feel for the parents loss, but the driver of the car and the other kids who encouraged him to get behind the wheel deserve the life-long guilt they will feel. Same old story, Novato teens being irresponsible. Live with the consequences and make something better of your life.)Oh, and it does not matter how old the BMW was' it has more status and cache than a boring economy car, and even if it's 30 years old, it will tempt them. And, what kind of parent does not make sure their kids drive cars with air bags? Lawyer vultures are circling the parents of the kid at fault.
Miranda

Novato, CA

#18 Sep 17, 2010
@ Day Hiker this is a tragic loss! Not some excuse for you to complain about the car they drove or anything money related. Get a life you obviously don't care about the core issue here. Focus on change
saywhat

San Francisco, CA

#19 Sep 17, 2010
Oh no! Not again....
RIP

Novato, CA

#23 Sep 17, 2010
Please go to the novato Advance and read the real tragic story. We have one young man who lost his life and others hurt here. This is no time to put stupid comments on here. It is so sad to hear about this and some people want to make false statements and need to think twice before you follow their stupidity . God bless all who were in that car
jesse

Novato, CA

#26 Sep 17, 2010
Just a Thought wrote:
I was there.
Parents please talk with your kids about drinking and the dangers of getting into a car with a driver under the influence.
Sit down tonight with them and start the conversation.
What are you nancy regan?....look its this nancy pants "your depressed you need therapy" mentality that has got us where we are today...the driver of this car was well aware that drinking and driving are not a good idea, he has probably heard it since first grade....talking to them about it is psychobabble....the qeustion that need to be addressed is why would he decide to drink and drive during school hours?...I'm quite sure he was aware that it is illegal and maybe even dangerous...this proliferation of the "therapy" "talk it out" "be educated on the facts" mentality has not only helped 4 to 6 year olds be the #1 new diagnosed cases for psychotropic drugs that they do not need, but it has helped further the disconnect between your adolescent children and yourselves...no this young man was well aware from first grade that what he was doing was wrong, telling him or any other young person to "not do it" does not cut it....the qeustion you want to ask is ...why did he do it when he knew it was wrong...for when we ask that question we start seeing many more layers to the answer, answers steeped in societal social engineering that created his destiny form the cradle.

when we start asking why people who do wrong do it, we often find deep levels of apathy pre-programmed in by a parents allowing a child to participate actively in a corrupt societal environment. This child could be 4 or 40, it does not matter, like a dog, if you are not trained properly at a very young age, by the time you are an adolescent it may be too late for you.

I feel very bad for all involved, I wish the child nor the parents any ill will, I am not speaking to then directly, as much as I am speaking to the problem, one that goes much deeper than telling them not to drink...I do not wish to chastise you for you intentions, which I know are good, but you must realize that when one says..."well, there I told him"...it is almost as if that is good enough and you will be absolved in your mind if something goes wrong, you did what you were supposed to right?, you talked to him about it...but he still did it anyway?

a child by the age of 10 should not be told how to do anything related to behavior...they should know how to properly conduct themselves...

By being engineered via cleaver media manipulation in to "group coddling" of you "precious babies" you have, generation after generation put out more and more dysfunctional children and families based on the "everyone else is doing it"...ever notice how the people who built this great land were spanked when they did wrong,punished for bad behavior, worked for what they were given and they turned out great, built what we are and were not on prescription drugs when they did it...

and now, spanking is bad, you will go to jail, your children are in charge ,even though they are on ritalin and you will pay for them to go see movies full of sex, fast cars and violence...

as a society if we do not take pause and look at what the real problems are, we will be doomed to fail, the real problems are caused by those who are manipulating you in order to control you...

this case is a symptom of the cause....

by allowing your children to participate in a created carnival of corruption called "modern society" parents in the long run will have no one to blame but themselves for falling prey to brainwashing...the type of manipulation that allowed them to not see what is real and what is fake...to not be told what is right or wrong...but to know it....
Batman

San Rafael, CA

#29 Sep 17, 2010
Given the DUI the driver's charges will be increased to vehicular manslaughter
He is going to prison for 2-5 years at least
The time to start thinking about the consequences of your actions don't start when you turn 18
air bags

San Anselmo, CA

#31 Sep 17, 2010
Air bags never would have gone off. If you look at the Novato Advance (much better paper than IJ btw) you will see that the car slid backwards into the truck, the truck's bumper was higher than the bumper of the bmw. As such, the bmw's bumper was never impacted by the truck. The truck essentially peeled the car off of the chasis. The deceased was in the back seat. He wouldn't have had an air bag unless it was a side curtain bag which whouldn't have helped anyways.
not so quick

San Anselmo, CA

#32 Sep 17, 2010
Batman wrote:
Given the DUI the driver's charges will be increased to vehicular manslaughter
He is going to prison for 2-5 years at least
The time to start thinking about the consequences of your actions don't start when you turn 18
Wrong, there was a case in Marin 8-9 years ago where 2 people died on 101 in centeral san rafael. The driver never saw a day in jail. He had just smoked pot before getting in his car to drag race another car.

Remember, Marin is a very liberal place. Hell, we have a sancturary city with literally thousands of illegals driving around without drivers licenses. Marin does nothing about this and people die all the time as a result. This kid will not see a day in jail. The parents will be bankrupt when this is over in 2-3 years. The kids life is essentially over. He will go on to be a nothing from the pressure and stress. Family most likely will be torn apart as well.

I think it is time to make the driving age 18. This protects parents from losing all of their life savings. I know many parents that have investments in other countries in case their child is involved in something like this.
Whatever

Novato, CA

#34 Sep 17, 2010
jesse wrote:
<quoted text>What are you nancy regan?....look its this nancy pants "your depressed you need therapy" mentality that has got us where we are today...the driver of this car was well aware that drinking and driving are not a good idea, he has probably heard it since first grade....talking to them about it is psychobabble....the qeustion that need to be addressed is why would he decide to drink and drive during school hours?...I'm quite sure he was aware that it is illegal and maybe even dangerous...this proliferation of the "therapy" "talk it out" "be educated on the facts" mentality has not only helped 4 to 6 year olds be the #1 new diagnosed cases for psychotropic drugs that they do not need, but it has helped further the disconnect between your adolescent children and yourselves...no this young man was well aware from first grade that what he was doing was wrong, telling him or any other young person to "not do it" does not cut it....the qeustion you want to ask is ...why did he do it when he knew it was wrong...for when we ask that question we start seeing many more layers to the answer, answers steeped in societal social engineering that created his destiny form the cradle.
when we start asking why people who do wrong do it, we often find deep levels of apathy pre-programmed in by a parents allowing a child to participate actively in a corrupt societal environment. This child could be 4 or 40, it does not matter, like a dog, if you are not trained properly at a very young age, by the time you are an adolescent it may be too late for you.
I feel very bad for all involved, I wish the child nor the parents any ill will, I am not speaking to then directly, as much as I am speaking to the problem, one that goes much deeper than telling them not to drink...I do not wish to chastise you for you intentions, which I know are good, but you must realize that when one says..."well, there I told him"...it is almost as if that is good enough and you will be absolved in your mind if something goes wrong, you did what you were supposed to right?, you talked to him about it...but he still did it anyway?
a child by the age of 10 should not be told how to do anything related to behavior...they should know how to properly conduct themselves...
By being engineered via cleaver media manipulation in to "group coddling" of you "precious babies" you have, generation after generation put out more and more dysfunctional children and families based on the "everyone else is doing it"...ever notice how the people who built this great land were spanked when they did wrong,punished for bad behavior, worked for what they were given and they turned out great, built what we are and were not on prescription drugs when they did it...
and now, spanking is bad, you will go to jail, your children are in charge ,even though they are on ritalin and you will pay for them to go see movies full of sex, fast cars and violence...
as a society if we do not take pause and look at what the real problems are, we will be doomed to fail, the real problems are caused by those who are manipulating you in order to control you...
by allowing your children to participate in a created carnival of corruption called "modern society" parents in the long run will have no one to blame but themselves for falling prey to brainwashing...the type of manipulation that allowed them to not see what is real and what is fake...to not be told what is right or wrong...but to know it....
Soooo....this would never have happended if the teen's parents had spanked him as a child?

Ridiculous nonsense.

These guys simply acted on a poorly thought out decision (as they are known to do) and it ended up costing them dearly.

Everyone one of us made stupid, dangerous choices as a teen.

However, few dumb decisions end in such tragedy.
KENNY WOODARD

Sonora, CA

#38 Sep 17, 2010
MAN RIP TO KID THAT DIDNT MAKE IT IN THE CRASH MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY ...AND AS WELL AS THE OTHERS INJURED IN THE ACCIDENT..
i agree

San Anselmo, CA

#39 Sep 17, 2010
jesse wrote:
<quoted text>What are you nancy regan?....look its this nancy pants "your depressed you need therapy" mentality that has got us where we are today...the driver of this car was well aware that drinking and driving are not a good idea, he has probably heard it since first grade....talking to them about it is psychobabble....the qeustion that need to be addressed is why still did it anyway?
I totally agree with you. It is the coddling, the constant pamering, no spanking, no soap in the mouth, schools teaching kids they can do no wrong, kids being indoctrinated that the government will bail them out, and on and on it goes. These kids cannot make decisions on their own anymore because of all this. This is not an excuse for what happened but all the aformentioned does make a situation like this more likely. It is ridiculous these days. Go to Novato high when school is let out, there are hundreds of parents there to pick up their kids. Jesus, have your kid walk or figure out the bus schedule. That takes cognitive thinking. Perfect example of coddling kids. And when a kid has responsibility of a car, the kid has nothing to draw from because of all the aformentioned.

The principal should be quized on what the hell is going on at his high school that kids are leaving at noon to go drink and do drugs. Novato High has a very, very long history of this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is putting the News media in their place! 8 min Well Well 2
Poor Pacheco another Lawsuit 35 min The scoop 2
1000s of Vigilantees on way to destroy Los Ange... 4 hr Eduardo 7
Trump Supporters are all Anti-USA 4 hr Eduardo 11
Review: MI Windows and Doors (Apr '09) 4 hr Rex23 118
Los Angeles Metro Brown Line light rail phase tour 4 hr LA METRO BROWN LINE 3
News Cudahy Case Recalls Bell Corruption Scandal (Jun '12) 9 hr tellinitlikeitis 5

San Gabriel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Gabriel Mortgages