BREAKING NEWS: Man jumps to his death off Vincent Thomas Bridge

A man, about 40 years old, jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge while police officers stood by this morning. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
crazy

Pasadena, CA

#71 Mar 10, 2009
Why can't the city provide more services for this kind of thing? For example, they should have a "fast track" line at the DMV, so that those who want to commit suicide could give their car to qualified people on a signup list who need transportation.
what the

Pasadena, CA

#72 Mar 10, 2009
crazy wrote:
Why can't the city provide more services for this kind of thing? For example, they should have a "fast track" line at the DMV, so that those who want to commit suicide could give their car to qualified people on a signup list who need transportation.
You know, what irks me about these suicider's is they have a lot of resources. I mean, they don't have to worry about maxxing out their credit card, so why can't they at least commit suicide in such a way that one of our poor city worker's doesn't have to clean up the mess? Rent a skydiver plane, and jump out without a parachute over Seal Island, if there is such an island. The seals would take care of the cleanup.
I mean, maybe there isn't a Seal Island around, but you know what I mean.
You suicider's need to start thinking about someone besides yourselves. How would you like to clean up after someone who swallowed an M-80, or whatever is popular with you suicider's these days???
I guess I'm just saying, if you're going to commit suicide, at least be considerate.
Greg Louganis

Pasadena, CA

#73 Mar 10, 2009
vida en abundancia wrote:
<quoted text> you are so st#$@$
thier is nothing funny about this !
Yes, it is funny, death is always funny. Everybody dies sooner or later, but this dude had a choice on checking out. It's better to go out on your feet than on your knees. Or with a bunch of tubes running up your nose from Cancer or some other ailment. Just seems like a lot of people are making the leap off bridges these days. Besides how do we know he wasn't trying to break some diving record or something.
crazy world

Santa Barbara, CA

#75 Mar 10, 2009
no pitty for anyone who wants to end their life. that's the choice they make then let them go. he seems to think that this life is not for him and i guest it wasn't and so he end it the way he wanted to. good for him on going out on his own term.
Syn Holliday

United States

#76 Mar 10, 2009
This is the second suicide topic where people assume it had to do with the economy, even though there was nothing mentioned as such. Same thing with the teen who jumped from Pt. Fermin, the posts started referring to the economy. Interesting.
---
LB Citizen wrote:
May he rest in peace. Lord knows folks feel like ending it these days.
I think we might see more of this if the economy continues to spiral downward.
Syn Holliday

United States

#77 Mar 10, 2009
Yes, I think it is one of the basic rights that should never be taken away. As sad as it may seem (my friend who I worked with at the Long Beach Navy Exchange committed suicide), life goes on for the rest of the world.

My only criticism is with those who endanger others in the process, such as someone jumping off a bridge into freeway traffic.
---
crazy world wrote:
no pitty for anyone who wants to end their life. that's the choice they make then let them go. he seems to think that this life is not for him and i guest it wasn't and so he end it the way he wanted to. good for him on going out on his own term.
soylent green

Pasadena, CA

#78 Mar 10, 2009
For most people over 45, they're just marking time watching themselves decay, anyway. Might as well go out with the horizon. What is most alarming, however, is the outright waste in the suicide sector. Boomer's are hitting retirement, and there's no money to support them. There must be a more "green" way to facilitate this growing concern, as well as people committed to suicide.
If the Boeing facility is still available, I'm willing to bet that some young entrepreneur with a little get up and go, could establish and build a thriving alternative food industry.

Since: May 08

Long Beach, California

#79 Mar 10, 2009
Syn Holliday wrote:
This is the second suicide topic where people assume it had to do with the economy, even though there was nothing mentioned as such. Same thing with the teen who jumped from Pt. Fermin, the posts started referring to the economy. Interesting.
---
<quoted text>
How do you know it wasn't?

Besides, my point was that it may not be his reason, but rest assured, if the economy continues to spiral downward, then yes, you will see alot of suicides. There were many in the great depresion as well as in the 80's.
Syn Holliday

United States

#80 Mar 10, 2009
I don't know, which is why I don't connect it with the economy. Yes, a bad economy will cause more suicides, that's a given. Money, love, health, responsibility, legal repercussions, chemical imbalance, anger, boredom, shame, effects of drugs/alcohol, they're all causes.

Nothing to it, I just thought it interesting that twice when the topic of suicide was brought up, the economy comes up. If I see it a third time, it will be even more intriguing. Kind of like if every time a drive-by shooting in Long Beach is brought up, the topic of Iraq makes its appearance. Yes, they both relate to people being shot, but I'm sure there's something more telling.
---
LB Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know it wasn't?
Besides, my point was that it may not be his reason, but rest assured, if the economy continues to spiral downward, then yes, you will see alot of suicides. There were many in the great depresion as well as in the 80's.
downsize this

Pasadena, CA

#81 Mar 10, 2009
LB Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know it wasn't?
Besides, my point was that it may not be his reason, but rest assured, if the economy continues to spiral downward, then yes, you will see alot of suicides. There were many in the great depresion as well as in the 80's.
As well there should have been. It's the "my way or the highway" doctrine so popular in America. It's simply turned inward in these cases.
I also wonder if our current way of life, living culture on top of contradicting culture, in close living quarter's, is even healthy. I suspect not. I suspect it puts people under a lot of stress who have to live under it. After a while, the stress hits a point where suicide is actually a reasonable alternative.
Syn Holliday

United States

#83 Mar 10, 2009
Yes, for some, suicide could be a reasonable alternative, of course unless the person is Christian.
---
downsize this wrote:
<quoted text>
As well there should have been. It's the "my way or the highway" doctrine so popular in America. It's simply turned inward in these cases.
I also wonder if our current way of life, living culture on top of contradicting culture, in close living quarter's, is even healthy. I suspect not. I suspect it puts people under a lot of stress who have to live under it. After a while, the stress hits a point where suicide is actually a reasonable alternative.
mooney

South Gate, CA

#84 Mar 10, 2009
most of you people are really heartless, you will never know the problems this man had... may he find his peace now......
Syn Holliday

United States

#87 Mar 11, 2009
Yes, many religions, at least indirectly, point to suicide as "sinful."
---
Cliff Dweller wrote:
<quoted text>
Donít most religions teach us that suicide is a one way ticket to hell??? I think that I would rather face a life of living hell then an afterlife of eternal hellÖMy request to anyone contemplating suicide, is that you do it in such a way that it doesnít inconvenience the rest of us, and please make it in such a way that we donít have to clean up after you.
Syn Holliday

United States

#88 Mar 11, 2009
Obviously you're not a Christian. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe he's anywhere near at peace now.
---
mooney wrote:
most of you people are really heartless, you will never know the problems this man had... may he find his peace now......
JustFriends

Whittier, CA

#89 Mar 11, 2009
Thanks John. This stuff has gotten way out of control.
jfutch wrote:
Take things down a big notch. If you have something useful to offer, please do so. Stop the nastiness. Violaters will be banned without warning.
John Futch
Executive City Editor
JeffHardyFan1

Winnipeg, Canada

#90 Apr 12, 2009
R.I.P
agreed

United States

#91 Apr 12, 2009
what the wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, what irks me about these suicider's is they have a lot of resources. I mean, they don't have to worry about maxxing out their credit card, so why can't they at least commit suicide in such a way that one of our poor city worker's doesn't have to clean up the mess? Rent a skydiver plane, and jump out without a parachute over Seal Island, if there is such an island. The seals would take care of the cleanup.
I mean, maybe there isn't a Seal Island around, but you know what I mean.
You suicider's need to start thinking about someone besides yourselves. How would you like to clean up after someone who swallowed an M-80, or whatever is popular with you suicider's these days???
I guess I'm just saying, if you're going to commit suicide, at least be considerate.
Well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Bruin For Life 28,716
Vagos motorcycle club president faces murder ch... (Dec '09) 20 hr Green Eye MexXxican 110
Campaign contributions in Azusa give insight in... (Nov '10) Tue Saul Greenberg 197
Chino Hills teacher suspected of having sex wit... (Jun '10) Mon RalfMalf 124
Montclair police told to make cuts or face layoffs (Jun '09) Jan 26 decade resident 16
Inland Valley schools show slight gains in stat... (Aug '10) Jan 22 MaltaMon 10
Montebello officers file claim over alleged enf... (Jul '10) Jan 21 watchful eye 53

San Gabriel News Video

San Gabriel Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

San Gabriel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:26 pm PST