Man gets probation in hit-and-run cra...

Man gets probation in hit-and-run crash that killed homeless do...

There are 23 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Sep 24, 2009, titled Man gets probation in hit-and-run crash that killed homeless do.... In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

A 64-year-old San Pedro man was sentenced to probation after pleading no contest to a charge that he left the scene of a crash after hitting and killing a homeless man in a wheelchair, authorities said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Interesting Conflict

Glendora, CA

#1 Sep 25, 2009
Sure thing, blame it on the homeless guy. It appears there was more concern for his dog than for his life.
RAE

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Sep 25, 2009
probation? that's all? what a country!
B Obama

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Sep 25, 2009
Had Richard Oviedo Leon run over and killed the mayor of Long Beach, he'd be in for life.

Typicaly, our legal system favors the elite and isn't hear to help the poor.
bjh

Alton, IL

#4 Sep 25, 2009
I think the point is that Joe was in the street illegally. I see people in motorized chairs in the street a lot and it always concerns me. Sometimes even when there is a sidewalk there are problems with tree roots etc that make it difficult for them. I still think that hit and run when a death is involved should bring jail time whether the victim was in the wrong or not.

Since: Sep 09

Torrance, CA

#5 Sep 25, 2009
Probation? You have got to be kidding me. I know Joe is a homeless person, but still you can't just let this guy get away with probation.

Since: Sep 09

Torrance, CA

#6 Sep 25, 2009
B Obama wrote:
Had Richard Oviedo Leon run over and killed the mayor of Long Beach, he'd be in for life.
Typicaly, our legal system favors the elite and isn't hear to help the poor.
Runnig over stupid politicians should be saving tax payer money, no crime.
bjh

Alton, IL

#7 Sep 25, 2009
guilty till proven not wrote:
Probation? You have got to be kidding me. I know Joe is a homeless person, but still you can't just let this guy get away with probation.
You have to stop and think, if this guy would leave a man in a wheel chair in the street to die, what kind of person is he? Certainly no one I would want to know. He knew that a disabled person would not have been able to help himself and he still left him. Prison time. Plain and simple.
LBJJ

United States

#8 Sep 25, 2009
Funny how hit-and-run felons are reviled in other cities, but revered in San Pedro...
HowThisWorks

Hesperia, CA

#9 Sep 25, 2009
Motorized chairs and motorized wheelchairs are dangerous. Its the low height that gets you.

If the state can force motorcycle riders (motorcycles have a much bigger & taller presence), the state should force Motorized chair and motorized wheelchair owners to have a EIGHT FOOT TALL FIBERGLASS MAST WITH A FOUR FOOT SQUARE BRIGHT ORANGE PLASTIC FLAG.

That would prevent A LOT of accidents.
bjh

Alton, IL

#10 Sep 25, 2009
I see many of those flags on motorized wheel chairs and mobility scooters and you are right.
They should be a requirement that is put on by the dealer who sells the chair or scooter. The flags arent four foot square but they are easily seen because they are flourescent. We really need to get the pathways alongside the streets smoothed out so these people do not have to be in the street at all.
Danny Wilcox

Long Beach, CA

#11 Sep 25, 2009
Just a thought: the wheelchair guy had just left the emergency room. I suggest he's probably on medicare/medical and goes to the emergency room for everthing. That expense you and I pay for. No more expensive trips to the emergency room for minor problems.

Second: where does the dog go when he's in the e.r.? Where does the dog go when it rains, or it's cold? Did this guy or can this guy even take care of a dog properly, i.e. bath, fleas, other ailments. The dog is wayyyyy better off, and so are the taxpayers.

Too bad some innocent chump had to be the one who took this guy off the street. Why should his life be ruined because come guy wants to pretend his wheelchair is a registered vehicle?
bjh

Alton, IL

#12 Sep 25, 2009
Danny Wilcox wrote:
Just a thought: the wheelchair guy had just left the emergency room. I suggest he's probably on medicare/medical and goes to the emergency room for everthing. That expense you and I pay for. No more expensive trips to the emergency room for minor problems.
Second: where does the dog go when he's in the e.r.? Where does the dog go when it rains, or it's cold? Did this guy or can this guy even take care of a dog properly, i.e. bath, fleas, other ailments. The dog is wayyyyy better off, and so are the taxpayers.
Too bad some innocent chump had to be the one who took this guy off the street. Why should his life be ruined because come guy wants to pretend his wheelchair is a registered vehicle?
First, yes we probably were paying for his medical care. Our responsibility as fellow citizens is to help people who need help. And he had seizures, not minor problems.

Second, according to his friends his dog was very well taken care of and never left Joe's side. He even stayed with him in the emergency room.

Third, if this guy were innocent he would not have driven off and left a disabled man to die in the street.

Second
glovit

Surfside, CA

#13 Sep 25, 2009
It figures that they would lay the blame on the victim, wheelchairs are low to the ground and hard to see no matter what the traffic conditions, just like strollers........yet they are willing to tag a felony manslaughter/murder on the stroller related deaths regardless of the parental culpability and it is always the fault of the crippled adult when these things happens. One more proof of a biased system that will favor one group over another.
Danny Wilcox

Long Beach, CA

#14 Sep 25, 2009
Can I bring my pet into the E.R. next time I go? Or do I have to cultivate sympathy first by being homeless and in a wheelchair?

This guy probably qualifies for GR, SS payments, etc...
why be homeless?
bjh

Alton, IL

#15 Sep 25, 2009
I wish they had given the name of the judge so I could be sure not to vote for him if he comes up for re election.
The REAL LeRoy

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Sep 25, 2009
I hate to be the one who brings it up, Richard Oviedo Leon born in the US? Got papers to be hear legaly?

Even if it is an accident, why do these people always run from the scene of an accident?
Bonnie

Whittier, CA

#17 Sep 25, 2009
I disagree with the sentencing of only probabtion for a hit & run. That's like a slap on the hand. Whether or not the victim was at fault this person left the scene and that makes him wrong any way you look at it. If he had stopped he would have found out he was not at fault but since he decided not to wait, he should get much more than probation. A man was killed and had they not found him he would not have turned himself in. He would have just gone on with his life like nothing had happened. I hope he has trouble sleeping nights and the judge too.
bjh

Alton, IL

#18 Sep 25, 2009
Danny Wilcox wrote:
Can I bring my pet into the E.R. next time I go? Or do I have to cultivate sympathy first by being homeless and in a wheelchair?
This guy probably qualifies for GR, SS payments, etc...
why be homeless?
If you are disabled and have a service dog the dog can go with you wherever you go. That is the law. I think surgery would probably be an exception but he never needed that. He had places to stay on and off but sometimes prefered the streets.
When he died he was living on the church grounds.
Danny Wilcox

Long Beach, CA

#19 Sep 25, 2009
bjh wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are disabled and have a service dog the dog can go with you wherever you go. That is the law. I think surgery would probably be an exception but he never needed that. He had places to stay on and off but sometimes prefered the streets.
When he died he was living on the church grounds.
There should be a new term: Preferred-homeless. If he had places to live but preferred the streets, then why should I feel sorry for him?

Secondly, there is no indication this was a service dog.
No more a service dog than if I slapped dark sunglasses and a poncho on my dog and called her a "service-dog".

Way too much hand-ringing going on here!
Danny Wilcox

Long Beach, CA

#20 Sep 26, 2009
One more thing: If it were your husband, son, or brother who was unluckey enough to have this preferred-homeless person steer his chair into oncoming traffic, would you be crying for a jail-sentence?

It's easy to be a liberal when you don't have all the facts!

Ps, the dog lived, you should all be overjoyed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Activists Led by Al Sharpton Brave Cold, Rain f... 4 min Harrisson 22
Review: Channel 71 Los Angeles (Feb '16) 5 min TV Producer 147
Drain Hollywood 1 hr Well Well 3
News Charter Oak takes charge (Dec '08) Jan 12 Wiseguy 26
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jan 12 Chosen Traveler 32,710
News Frank Girardot: Gang power struggle leads to vi... (Jun '09) Jan 10 NEED HELP 79
L.p. Sheriff why is EVIL from valinda flats out... Jan 10 evil-boxer 3

San Gabriel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Gabriel Mortgages