Messages incite shooting rumors on Los Osos High School campus

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Officials on Wednesday determined that an anonymous message sent to Los Osos High School students indicating a potential on-campus shooting that day was not credible.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Concerned

West Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Wow this is really serious! Last year there was a chemical bomb set off and now this! I read a few of the the facebook comments and there is so much more to this story!
Resident

Brea, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

It was probably kids just trying to stay home from school.
montclair

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

MAYBE THE KIDS ARE TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO DITCH SCHOOL????
Resident Evil

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Judged:

White Kids are "f"ing phsyco!!!!!

“Ya'll be killin me.”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Kids are really phfucked up in the head nowadays. Their trigger happy when life makes them sad.:-(
Concerned

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Here is the message on the LOHS website from the principal:

This is Chris Hollister, principal of Los Osos High School and I want to take a moment to update you regarding some threats that have been made on campus. Last week, a freshman student made some serious threats and we immediately investigated with the help of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. A search warrant was served at the boys' house and he was arrested for making threats and remains in custody even though he said that his comments were not serious. All of the involved parties have been interviewed by deputies and their parents have been notified.

The Sheriff's Department and I believe that these threats are being handled appropriately and that the people who have been involved have all been addressed, but I wanted all of our parents, students, and staff to be aware of what transpired because rumors are beginning to circulate. To date, the Sheriff's Department believes that the boy who made the threats was acting alone, there have been no weapons on campus, and there is no evidence to substantiate any potential violence on campus.

I appreciate the help and support of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department who responded to this matter quickly and efficiently and have sent additional deputies to our campus; they have committed to continue to do so and I will keep you apprised of further developments. People who have additional pertinent information are encouraged to speak with the deputy on campus. Please help us by encouraging your students to not spread rumors. Students and staff have been terrific and remain focused on learning.

This message will be posted on our school's website. Thank you.

I have been informed by a parent who has an inside source that bombs and multiple weapons were found inside the young man's home. When the source was asked why parents had not been informed sooner, the source simply responded more absences equal less money....

NOW WHAT?!?
Pat

North Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

These kids are so desensitized to violence of any kind, it's pathetic.
Generation twitter is comprised of too many twits. This kind of thing is going to continue and get worse.
It's a sign of the times in this once great nation.
Pat

North Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Resident Evil wrote:
white people in general are "f"ing phsyco...damn cheese fell off their **** headz!!!
People who make statements like this are generally ignorant...Stay in school mijo.
LOHS Teacher

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

It's terribly unfortunate when incidents like these happen in our schools. Even though the students may seem "desensitized", I saw alot of scared faces and concerned students this week. On Tuesday, I asked our principal why more information wasn't given to the staff and he gave me a very good explanation. If too much information gets "out there", and keep in mind that much of it is speculation until the full investigation is complete, then even more rumors are generated. Then, when law enforcement tries to get information, students will have trouble decifering what they heard from what they actually know and therefore, the investigation gets compromised. Also, it takes time to get all the facts together before parents are notified. The last thing we want to do is act too quickly and start mass hysteria.

I am deeply saddened that anyone would think that this has anything at all to do with money. Our resources have been severly cut and we face even more cuts next year, but our staff has been working extremely hard to maintain the quality of education that our students deserve. I am exhausted and frustrated and I try not to let my studets see it, but when they do, I am amazed at their understanding and compassion. Don't judge our entire student population by the actions of one and remember that a disaster was avoided because of the excellent communication and relationship our school has with its students and the community.
painful truth

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
People who make statements like this are generally ignorant...Stay in school mijo.
Why "mijo" ??,you assume that person is hispanic when he could be black or asian or even a white reader F'n around...plus reality is reality white people commit the most school shootings BOTTOM LINE !
Ben Y Franklin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

painful truth wrote:
<quoted text>Why "mijo" ??,you assume that person is hispanic when he could be black or asian or even a white reader ****'n around...plus reality is reality white people commit the most school shootings BOTTOM LINE !
You obviously don't read the paper regularly, and dont have me bring up facts, I'm tired of doing that.
JSB

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Just home school it is safer and better for the kids any how. The bigger the school the more chances of some stuff happening. For every idiot they catch how many are not caught? Makes you wonder. Parents today lack control and do not spend time with the kids. They expect schools to fix them.
NotReally

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

LOHS Teacher wrote:
It's terribly unfortunate when incidents like these happen in our schools. Even though the students may seem "desensitized", I saw alot of scared faces and concerned students this week. On Tuesday, I asked our principal why more information wasn't given to the staff and he gave me a very good explanation. If too much information gets "out there", and keep in mind that much of it is speculation until the full investigation is complete, then even more rumors are generated. Then, when law enforcement tries to get information, students will have trouble decifering what they heard from what they actually know and therefore, the investigation gets compromised. Also, it takes time to get all the facts together before parents are notified. The last thing we want to do is act too quickly and start mass hysteria.
I am deeply saddened that anyone would think that this has anything at all to do with money. Our resources have been severly cut and we face even more cuts next year, but our staff has been working extremely hard to maintain the quality of education that our students deserve. I am exhausted and frustrated and I try not to let my studets see it, but when they do, I am amazed at their understanding and compassion. Don't judge our entire student population by the actions of one and remember that a disaster was avoided because of the excellent communication and relationship our school has with its students and the community.
I agree with most of your post but not the part about "excellent communication". I, as a parent of 2 LO students, haven't felt the communication is there on a lot of issues by the school management. I do however, feel that most of the teachers there are caring and supportive.
Back to the rumor issue... If the facts were brought out by a credible source to the parents and the students as soon as they were known, wouldn't that stop at least some of the rumors?
anonymous writer

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

the kid who wanted to commit this act *IS WHITE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

San Gabriel News Video

•••
•••

San Gabriel Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

San Gabriel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE