Late fee rises for parking tickets in...

Late fee rises for parking tickets in El Monte

There are 4 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Dec 5, 2008, titled Late fee rises for parking tickets in El Monte. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

Drivers who don't pay their parking tickets on time will be stuck with an additional fine equal to 35 percent of the original parking ticket amount.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

poison clan

Calabasas, CA

#1 Dec 5, 2008
the city just want more revenue because of a tight budget next year like all governments. this is outrageous. a 35% increase for unpaid tickets. alot of people cannot afford a parking ticket thus an increase. how about trying to save money for next years budget. all these local cities are doomed for next year.
Sarolite

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Dec 6, 2008
poison clan wrote:
the city just want more revenue because of a tight budget next year like all governments. this is outrageous. a 35% increase for unpaid tickets. alot of people cannot afford a parking ticket thus an increase. how about trying to save money for next years budget. all these local cities are doomed for next year.
If you had bothered to read the story, you'd note that the city won't be obtaining anything extra from this decision. They are simply passing on the cost of collections to the debtor. If the people made small payments toward the debt in the 0-6 years since receiving the ticket, the city wouldn't have to put the accounts into collections at 35% charge.

What confuses me is that the charges were left to stand for so long. When I have an unpaid parking ticket, it shows up as a charge on my car registration the following year. I was under the impression that you couldn't get your sticker without paying the previous year's tickets if they were still oustanding.
Mark

West Covina, CA

#3 Dec 6, 2008
Sarolite wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had bothered to read the story, you'd note that the city won't be obtaining anything extra from this decision. They are simply passing on the cost of collections to the debtor. If the people made small payments toward the debt in the 0-6 years since receiving the ticket, the city wouldn't have to put the accounts into collections at 35% charge.
What confuses me is that the charges were left to stand for so long. When I have an unpaid parking ticket, it shows up as a charge on my car registration the following year. I was under the impression that you couldn't get your sticker without paying the previous year's tickets if they were still oustanding.
Do you really believe them when they say that they won't collect anything extra from this? West Covina just passed a law banning over-night parking as a "safety measure" and that none of the funds will go into the city budget. Also good luck trying to find who the real owners of the cars are. It's always been a pain to try to find parking on my friend's street because no one can ever figure out who's cars are parked on the street.
Betrayed

Pomona, CA

#4 Dec 6, 2008
Sarolite wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, most public agencies are willing to pay the charges from the collection of fines without adding hardship to cash strapped families. They reason that getting 65% of a large chunk is better than nothing. I understand that the El Monte fines from these camera equipped signals are over $400, how inhumane is this? How can some residents pay these large fees?
This equipment is also calibrated by the private contractor who additionally takes a cut from fines generated by these money machines. We should worry about the incentives and profits from this. There are many collection businesses that would charge less. How about going out to bid on this service?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Murderer out and about (Dec '16) 4 hr heartbroken10302011 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Will phartts 33,192
Toilet charity gets Indian village to take on T... 7 hr Jan 1
Who are these that protest the protesters? 7 hr actorvet 1
missing armo kid 10 hr Kinder and Gentle... 14
Review: Collectable Diecast Inc (Aug '08) 15 hr NEVER AGAIN 15
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 16 hr True That 20,946

San Gabriel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Gabriel Mortgages