Pasadena school board applauds studen...

Pasadena school board applauds student's effort to save her tea...

There are 17 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Apr 28, 2010, titled Pasadena school board applauds student's effort to save her tea.... In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

The Pasadena Unified School District board, Tuesday, applauded Emily Abadjian's effort to save her music teacher's job.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

PUBLIC TREASURY IS EMPTY

United States

#1 Apr 28, 2010
PUSD being devastated by budget cuts?
40% of PUSD schools failing to meet 2009 Academic Performance Index goals?
PUSD failing to meet 2009 California Yearly Progress goals in Language and Mathematics?
There can be only one solution!
MORE SINGING AND DANCING CLASSES!
fall of rome

United States

#2 Apr 28, 2010
out with those pesky math and english classes...everyone wants GLEE!
Loretta Silverado

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Apr 28, 2010
Lavone Barnett Seetal does not have a permanent teacher credential. See for yourself: https://teachercred.ctc.ca.gov

Another reason to vote NO on Measure CC. PUSD hires this teacher who has not completed her college education! This is where our taxpayer money goes! PUSD glorifies the teacher in their board meeting! HUH???

And after all that, PUSD has the NERVE to cry for more money?

NO NO NO on Measure CC.
drama class saved my life

Corona, CA

#4 Apr 28, 2010
why would a music teacher need to be certified?
Glee ful

Temple City, CA

#5 Apr 28, 2010
drama class saved my life wrote:
why would a music teacher need to be certified?
Because of No Child Left Behind, ALL teachers need to be certified and be working in their major field of study, with the exception of at most one period per day. This prevents having PE teachers who spend most of their day teaching English and Social Studies teachers who spend most of their day teaching French.
Not high school musical

United States

#6 Apr 28, 2010
This shows how generation debt has absolutely no idea what's going on. Instead of watching Glee they should be watching the CBS evening news and the Senate hearings on Goldman Sachs. I voted NO on Measure CC and I hope this music teacher gets fired like a lot of other people living under the freeway.

Corona, CA

#7 Apr 28, 2010
but how does that impact someone being able to teach music? You can be Juilliard trained and have a master's degree and not be certified. IMHO certification is a roadblock from a lot of very qualified people becoming teachers. If you've already spent tens of thousands of dollars to get your master's degree, why would you want to go back to school to get a certification? Private school teachers aren't certified, but they often times are qualified to teach college level courses because of their advanced degrees.

Corona, CA

#8 Apr 29, 2010
also, IMHO requiring all teacher to be certified regardless of their educational background (Master's degrees) is one of the stupidest aspects of NCLB, and one that prohibits a lot of very qualified teachers out of teaching in public school. Instead, they go to the private schools.

Do you want a teacher who has a degree in teaching, or do you want a teacher with a master's degree in English?
Angel

Monrovia, CA

#9 Apr 29, 2010
but how does that impact someone being able to teach music? You can be Juilliard trained and have a master's degree and not be certified. IMHO certification is a roadblock from a lot of very qualified people becoming teachers. If you've already spent tens of thousands of dollars to get your master's degree, why would you want to go back to school to get a certification? Private school teachers aren't certified, but they often times are qualified to teach college level courses because of their advanced degrees.
Julliard? Seriously? Mrs. B-S (pun intended) could/would/should never be confused with a Julliard trained musician!!

Corona, CA

#10 Apr 29, 2010
there are plenty of Juilliard-trained musicians out of work, and applying for jobs at community colleges like PCC... if there wasn't the hurdle of having to get *additional* certification to teach in the public schools, they would apply there as well.
Masters or PhD

San Bernardino, CA

#11 Apr 29, 2010
there are plenty of Juilliard-trained musicians out of work, and applying for jobs at community colleges like PCC... if there wasn't the hurdle of having to get *additional* certification to teach in the public schools, they would apply there as well.
teaching credential is not necessary to teach at JC

Corona, CA

#12 Apr 29, 2010
that's my point...
Suzy Alvarado

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Apr 29, 2010
Masters or PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
teaching credential is not necessary to teach at JC
Just a high school diploma.
Lavone Barnett-Seetal

Altadena, CA

#14 Oct 28, 2013
All of you can kiss my ass! I had a BA & a MA degree while working at PHS. Because of Emily's hard work & dedication, she not only saved my job but 11 other credentialed secondary music teachers who were about to lose their jobs as well. Since then, I have finished that damn credential & I'm working towards another Masters degree so I can teach at a higher level as opposed to teaching/babysitting your little heathens! You bunch of helicopter parents who don't know what it is to be on the front lines trying to educate your disobedient, disrespectful brats! I was glad I got pink slipped! PUSD had done me nothing but a favor. I stayed from 2010-2011 for the sake of those 1000 students who felt that I was doing an effective job teaching them music, with or without that fucked up Bush NCLB shit! Who's vouching for your sorry ass, Ms. Loretta Silverado?
Lavone Barnett-Seetal

Altadena, CA

#15 Oct 28, 2013
@not high school musical..."I hope this teacher gets fired like a lot of other people living under the freeway" REALLY? Well I'll make sure I say hello to your mama while I'm there.
Lavone Barnett-Seetal

Altadena, CA

#16 Oct 28, 2013
Not high school musical wrote:
This shows how generation debt has absolutely no idea what's going on. Instead of watching Glee they should be watching the CBS evening news and the Senate hearings on Goldman Sachs. I voted NO on Measure CC and I hope this music teacher gets fired like a lot of other people living under the freeway.
REALLY dude? Ok, well I'll make sure to say hell to your mama as well as the rest of your relatives while I'm there.
Lavone Barnett-Seetal

Altadena, CA

#17 Oct 29, 2013
Loretta Silverado wrote:
Lavone Barnett Seetal does not have a permanent teacher credential. See for yourself: https://teachercred.ctc.ca.gov
Another reason to vote NO on Measure CC. PUSD hires this teacher who has not completed her college education! This is where our taxpayer money goes! PUSD glorifies the teacher in their board meeting! HUH???
And after all that, PUSD has the NERVE to cry for more money?
NO NO NO on Measure CC.
I got my credential now, bitches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 32,613
The signs are done and going up again 3 hr Eee Haw 1
Baldwin park council meeting a joke 3 hr Eee Haw 1
A career in Federal law enforcement 3 hr Ellison ISIS Muslim 2
Alec Baldwin Is A Disgusting Human Being!! (Sep '11) 9 hr But But But 10
Montebello not transparent 16 hr The REAL Truth Be... 3
were his all the og sgv taggers at (Dec '07) 17 hr Sssssatan 1,038

San Gabriel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Gabriel Mortgages