Covina city manager fired

Covina city manager fired

There are 20 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Aug 12, 2008, titled Covina city manager fired. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

City Manager Paul Philips has been terminated from his post due to philosophical differences, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

hostile17

Beverly Hills, CA

#1 Aug 12, 2008
that is an unflattering photo of him.
Jimbo Jones

Houston, TX

#2 Aug 12, 2008
Temple City take note! End the sham of a city attorney finding himself the only candidate qualified to be city manager.

Since: May 08

Covina

#3 Aug 12, 2008
hostile17 wrote:
that is an unflattering photo of him.
Agreed! What do they mean exactly by "philosophical differences", I wonder? Odd choice of words.
Pretty brief article, so anyone know how long he was in that position?
Amanda

Walnut, CA

#4 Aug 12, 2008
So, basically he would not go with the majority, so the majority threw him out?!! How's that for getting your way?!! What a bunch of spoiled brats! The Covina City Council should be ashamed of themselves!
Amanda

Walnut, CA

#5 Aug 12, 2008
Shreks Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! What do they mean exactly by "philosophical differences", I wonder? Odd choice of words.
Pretty brief article, so anyone know how long he was in that position?
The article stated 8 years, since 2000.
Amen sister

United States

#6 Aug 12, 2008
Paul Phillips has worked for Covina for 8 years. Council appears to have to have "someone" to blame for what is happening in the city even though council should be fully aware if they ever did their homework. I'm sure this will pacify the whiners and complainers for about 30 seconds. Good luck to you, Paul. I'm disappointed that Covina council would treat you so shabbily. "Philosophical differences", Hah!
allison

Norwalk, CA

#7 Aug 12, 2008
Amanda wrote:
So, basically he would not go with the majority, so the majority threw him out?!! How's that for getting your way?!! What a bunch of spoiled brats! The Covina City Council should be ashamed of themselves!
Actually, if you knew the history of the issues and the difficulty encountered when working with philosophical differences, you'd be ashamed of youself for writing this comment.
Anonymous

United States

#8 Aug 12, 2008
If you ever worked for the City of Covina, you would know that this guy was a complete prick!
Amen sister

United States

#9 Aug 12, 2008
And there you have it!
MOTHER OF 2

United States

#10 Aug 12, 2008
Ohh how wonderful....I love to see what type of trash we have working for us here in our City. Makes you feel soo proud of the people working for the people...
John

Upland, CA

#11 Aug 13, 2008
Philisophical differences=He didn't cave in to their over the top idea of how the city should run. Basically, they just didn't like him. I swear! Small town politics!
John

Upland, CA

#12 Aug 13, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
If you ever worked for the City of Covina, you would know that this guy was a complete prick!
Go on. How so?
Question

United States

#13 Aug 13, 2008
The city cries money woes but there is enough money to pay off the severance package? Did the council really think things through?
Lauren

AOL

#14 Aug 13, 2008
hey, that guy used to sign my paychecks!

the one thing i hate about covina is that everything is so hush-hush. if you're doing something wrong, people would rather whisper about it behind your back and let it all build up until that person's reputation is destroyed instead of confronting you in a sensical/constructive criticism kind of way (somehow in the course of a month, i ended up going from being a slacker who was "hiding from my job" to a loose cannoned whistleblower).

people are just people complete with positive and negative quirks and the ability to change for the better, even city employees(!!!). i wish this article would explain more of what those "philosophical differences" were. if he was really a jerk, what did he do that made him such a jerk? i don't fully doubt the accusations that he was a jerk (by the covinian definitions of "jerk"), but what did he do wrong? or think wrong? maybe if the tribune digs up some honesty on that, the guy can use the article to help him get a new job in a city where people don't disagree with his philosophies.(or maybe at least the rest of us can agree that he really was a jerk)

Since: Aug 08

United States

#15 Aug 16, 2008
John wrote:
Philisophical differences=He didn't cave in to their over the top idea of how the city should run. Basically, they just didn't like him. I swear! Small town politics!
Not just small town. Anytime you have 5 individuals (with independent thoughts, ideas and agendas) you will have politics. Throw in a community, that without the facts, comments on your every step. If you don't like the way Target is run, don't shop at Target. Same with government. Either get the facts and be part of the solution or maybe some should look for another city for their housing.

United States

#16 Aug 16, 2008
Lauren wrote:
hey, that guy used to sign my paychecks!
the one thing i hate about covina is that everything is so hush-hush. if you're doing something wrong, people would rather whisper about it behind your back and let it all build up until that person's reputation is destroyed instead of confronting you in a sensical/constructive criticism kind of way (somehow in the course of a month, i ended up going from being a slacker who was "hiding from my job" to a loose cannoned whistleblower).
people are just people complete with positive and negative quirks and the ability to change for the better, even city employees(!!!). i wish this article would explain more of what those "philosophical differences" were. if he was really a jerk, what did he do that made him such a jerk? i don't fully doubt the accusations that he was a jerk (by the covinian definitions of "jerk"), but what did he do wrong? or think wrong? maybe if the tribune digs up some honesty on that, the guy can use the article to help him get a new job in a city where people don't disagree with his philosophies.(or maybe at least the rest of us can agree that he really was a jerk)
Next time you are disciplined at work, would you like it as front page of the newspaper - remember, you may not be guilty of discipline. Something to think about!

United States

#17 Aug 16, 2008
MOTHER OF 2 wrote:
Ohh how wonderful....I love to see what type of trash we have working for us here in our City. Makes you feel soo proud of the people working for the people...
So what do you do to make Covina a better place to live? It's a bunch of name callers like you, who without the facts, jump in to critize but do nothing to help the community.

United States

#18 Aug 16, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
And throwing stones with this type of language makes you a classy guy?

United States

#19 Aug 16, 2008
allison wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if you knew the history of the issues and the difficulty encountered when working with philosophical differences, you'd be ashamed of youself for writing this comment.
Agreed!
Lisa B

Garden Grove, CA

#20 Sep 10, 2008
Well, I might have used different language but my sentiments would have been the same. This is the same guy, after all, who masterminded the "lay-off" of the police captain citing "budget issues". And yet, that was the only disguised lay-off/firing in the city. What was never made public was the legal action taken by the captain and the subsequent big payoff given him from a cash strapped city. He didn't care. It wasn't his money. He and Chief Raney could then run the P.D. without interference and conscience. This is only one example of his dirty dealings but one must also keep in mind the city council backed Phillips "brilliant" plan. His firing couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Gabriel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Interpol Agents illegally harass writers with S... 2 hr Christie Taylor 2
recall jack 2 hr Wonder Why 16
were his all the og sgv taggers at (Dec '07) 3 hr PRENT ONER KRH 1,054
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Trojan 34,850
News Multiple Victims Reported Shot In San Bernardin... (Dec '15) 4 hr Christie Taylor 14
News Mongols motorcycle gang members arrested (Oct '08) 4 hr Mongirls 94
News Pair Of Armed Robberies Target Customers In Par... (Sep '15) 4 hr Christie Taylor 2

San Gabriel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Gabriel Mortgages