San Francisco gaining computer workers

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Yahoo employees board the Yahoo Shuttle from San Francisco, to the company headquarters in Sunnyvale.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Nov 8, 2010
Public Option Supporter

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

Judged:

It's interesting to contrast this lifestyle with that of the workers who make many of our electronic gadgets in Shenzhen, China, including iPhones and TVs. The manufacturer Foxconn has about 420,000 assembly workers, half of whom walk to company dorms on the factory campus. They sleep in a dorm room about the size of a 2-car tandem garage, 8 to the room, in 4 bunks, men in one dorm, women in another. The facilities are minimalist. http://gizmodo.com/5678732/exclusive-look-whe...

I guess that as the factory workers have migrated from rural China to the cities for entry-level work, the Foxconn company had to provide housing. One notable feature recently added was suicide-prevention netting suspended on horizontal poles outside the building so workers wouldn't jump off balconies and out windows to end their lives. You can see the netting the the photos at that web site.

There was a time in the early evolution of Silicon Valley, when we had lots of immigrant workers (I recall lots of Vietnamese) on assembly lines. Those jobs have evaporated, now done in China, Taiwan, and other Asian manufacturing centers. When you see the difference in life styles, there's no doubt that jobs like this are not coming back to the US, no matter what our government does.

Since: Aug 08

Santa Cruz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2010

Judged:

There's an interesting article on Foxconn in Business Week:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/...

You are right that factory jobs like this are not coming back to the US. But this is also becoming true of high tech engineering jobs as well. The US needs to keep investing in education and R&D and keep capital investment thriving, or we will be left in the dust.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

SoMa News Video

•••
San Francisco Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

SoMa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••