Judge overturns California's ban on s...

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201878 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#189098 Apr 17, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Dear SSMers
I am puzzled by your attitudes regarding legal polygamy/plural marriage. They seem to range from outright hostility to tepid support. "Marriage equality" is the mantra of the movement, yet there is a strong reluctance to include polygamy. Why? A seldom mentioned yet obvious objective within the movement is to shatter the monogamous conjugal (husband and wife) marital standard forever. To fundamental alter the very legal concept as a unique privileged union of one man and one woman as husband and wife. It stands to reason once that's changed, ssm is not the only logical path.
Polygamy is a valid form of marriage throughout time and place, far, far older than SSM, and more widely practiced. Why shouldn't it be considered? Is there a fear that to embrace it would undermine the SSM movement? A reluctance to share the spotlight? A sense of superiority?
Speaking only for myself, I am not the kind of person who could ever see himself in a plural relationship or marriage.

However I am very interested in a monogamous marriage.

So I don't see plural marriage as being a fight that I wish to undertake.

This is a personal decision.

And I think you're going to find that the "SSMers" aren't going to speak in a unified voice on plural marriage.

By the very definition of the term "SSMers", we are all in favor of SSM.

But to ask our opinion on plural marriage--to ask for a unified opinion--would be like asking us, "As SSMers, how do you feel about vanilla ice cream versus chocolate ice cream?"

There is no relationship between Same-Sex Marriage and Plural marriage.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189099 Apr 17, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
In this country, the "law" is the entity that determines if someone is married or not. The law defines marriage--not you.
The LGBT Community couldn't give a damn how you, personally, want to define marriage. If you wish to live in the land of make-believe, that's perfectly fine with us. Be our guests!
Your continued mental deterioration, while sad, is of no consequence to the rest of the world. We will continue to live our lives; and many of us will marry, in spite of your fantasies.
Society has defined marriage. The "law" is being used to chisel it open to all, thus reducing the integrity and honor of said institution.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189100 Apr 17, 2013
Across The Pond wrote:
<quoted text>
TOPIX needs to ban this type of hostile,marginal characters,especially now in light of recent events! Pot meet kettle! STOP stalking me LIAR! Reported again for harassing me and others and for repeated violations of the TOPIX T.O.S.!
That's twice that you have approached him, out of the blue. You are stalking him. Reported!
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#189101 Apr 17, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Let me guess. The plains that hit the WTC and Pentagon, where controlled by the government. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where all about big oil companies. Kennedy was killed by the CIA and Elvis is not dead.
The "plains" that hit the WTC? WOW! Like the Great Plains?

No plains hit the WTC, Jizzy. Calm down.

Too funny!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189102 Apr 17, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you rely on the law to create your reality every day.
In fact, it's the law that binds you to your wife.
Without the law you'd be just another couple who has shacked up.
See how that works?
No, we don't, you big boofoo. Why don't you explain it, to us? Without tears?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189103 Apr 17, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
No gashes allowed in my household. Although we do eat lots of pasta, you noodle head.
That is a sexist, anti-feminist remark that you've made there, and you've just been reported.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189104 Apr 17, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
The same is true of Gay Americans.
Not without legislation to make us accept your type of arrangement, to which you have no claim, unlike men and women who "shack up" together.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#189105 Apr 17, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking only for myself, I am not the kind of person who could ever see himself in a plural relationship or marriage.
And I think you're going to find that the "SSMers" aren't going to speak in a unified voice on plural marriage.
But to ask our opinion on plural marriage--to ask for a unified opinion--would be like asking us, "As SSMers, how do you feel about vanilla ice cream versus chocolate ice cream?"
Thanks for that answer...I think.....it didn't adequately address the questions I raised. Another try?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189106 Apr 17, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"You've be reported yet again"? Sounds KGB, or Gestapo, like.
"Gay marriage equality"? Is that Orwellian newspeak for wife, or husband, not desired?
Correct. Again.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189107 Apr 17, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
What?! Is English you're first language? If it is you should be ashamed of your inability to construct a complete sentence.
"If you have to attack typo's, then you've already lost.". Your side uses that, a lot...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189108 Apr 17, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
I love linguine and clams. Only an ignorant hater like you would make such a reference like that. It not only marginalizes Gay Americans, but, it also marginalizes women with the inference that their vaginas smell like sea food. Not funny.
Not at all like when you refer to them as "gashes", which includes your mammy?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189109 Apr 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!
They keep trying to slip these gay twirl lies by. Talk about sick, perverted denial!
Why do they always want to eradicate the children???
Snicker.
Because, children are the true validation that they can never duplicate, except through appropriation, or laboratory processes.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189110 Apr 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was hilarious.
What do you know about how vagina's smell?
Snicker.
He had his mommy wrapped up, all around his neck one time, remember? He said "Damn".
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189111 Apr 17, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy. Now Big D's gonna go all Superman on you!
He will fight you for "Truth! Justice! and the American Way!"
And pole dancer will cut your throat!
And X-Box will quote some dopey ad hominem on you!
And Rose_NoNo will ask if you should have been aborted.
And Jizzy will say "Oh snap! Cool beans!"
And Old SniffsButt will prescribe thorazine. An anal drip.
Did I miss anyone?
Yes. Dan. He'll "meet him the Home Depot parking lot, behind the dumpster,, at 3:00, as soon as he returns from Japan"..
:-D

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#189112 Apr 17, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
"Marriage equality" is the mantra of the movement, yet there is a strong reluctance to include polygamy. Why? A seldom mentioned yet obvious objective within the movement is to shatter the monogamous conjugal (husband and wife) marital standard forever. To fundamental alter the very legal concept as a unique privileged union of one man and one woman as husband and wife. It stands to reason once that's changed, ssm is not the only logical path.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#189113 Apr 17, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's twice that you have approached him, out of the blue. You are stalking him. Reported!
Yes. Bill has been cyber-stalking me for over 2 years. If he wasn't such a dopey goofball, I'd be worried.

You can see how crazy angry he is at me. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm not gay.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189114 Apr 17, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you would. Even though you have stated that poly people use poly to commit their crimes of child rape, welfare fraud and are all fundie scum lion feed of the type that were tortured for fun throughout history? WOW!
You see, I changed your mind. You now support poly more even than I do! And you say I do nothing for poly.
Beautiful.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#189115 Apr 17, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Dan. He'll "meet him the Home Depot parking lot, behind the dumpster,, at 3:00, as soon as he returns from Japan"..
:-D
YUK!YUK!YUK! How could I forget Dan! He once got so mad at me he threatened to "beat me into a greasy stain".

Always wants to meet me in The Home Depot parking lot in Sacramento so he can "kick my ass".

Like I'm gonna drive to Sacramento and meet the silly jackass, climb out of my truck into my wheelchair, wheel over to him and kick his ass. But I just might someday for fun.

Dan is so silly like that. He wants to beat tolerance and diversity into people.

Jizzy hangs on Dan's every word though. Says Dan's wife is hot! Of course she isn't. Dan posted pictures, the dummy. Would you post pics of your wife here? Geez. I don't even talk about my g.f. with these psychos.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189116 Apr 17, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Re-educating is a very scary word. And concept. I knew X-Box was a radical but thought a little better of you. I hope I never see any "re-educating" going on in this free country.
It's here, old man. Our kids are going to be "collected' by the "collective" and sent away, to re-education camps. Hell, Google "National Security Defense Force" if you think that I am making this shit up. I swear to God, it's happening, right now!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#189117 Apr 17, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no I take each person one at a time
You are not the same as your friends that are open about their opposition to same sex marriage, Pietro is for example honest about his opposition to same sex marriage and hence his questions about Poly.
You are inherently dishonest about it so I treat you totally differently
You are not at all the same, no one is.
What about me? "Thanks fah nuthin'"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Mission Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bernal Heights artists, targeted after Ghost Sh... Apr 27 Bernal Man 1
News Comparisons: What $4,300 rents in San Francisco... Feb '17 The rent is too high 1
News In First Post-Election Interview, Hillary Ronen... Dec '16 Bernal Heights Re... 1
News California cities ban pot sales ahead of state ... Nov '16 Rose_NoHo 1
News Vallejo City Council to decide on new MMD regul... (Oct '16) Nov '16 Jelly 12
News S.F. Orthodox leaders plan new school to replac... (Jul '16) Sep '16 Barnsweb 2
News a Zero energya vision for California homes (May '16) May '16 Solarman 1

The Mission Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

The Mission Mortgages