Project Looks to Survey SF's LGBT Past

Oct 26, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Kezar Stadium provided the backdrop for this 2006 photo of local athletes preparing to head to Chicago for Gay Games VII A new project aims to map the history of the LGBT community in San Francisco as the first step toward remembering and preserving the people and places that played critical roles in cementing the city as a gay mecca.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Oct 29, 2013
Dennis

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 26, 2013
 

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 27, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

I thought this was already being covered by the LGBT museum in the Castro. Odd that the was no mantion of this.

Typical "EDGE" shallow reporting.

GADS! I hope they don't declare a bathhouse as an historical monument!

NSFW ... http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Tomas

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 27, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I can't think of a more fitting monument to gay history than a bathhouse. Other than maybe t public toilet. What could gays possibly be remembered for other than sexual perversion?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 27, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Tomas wrote:
I can't think of a more fitting monument to gay history than a bathhouse. Other than maybe t public toilet. What could gays possibly be remembered for other than sexual perversion
I can't think of a bigger liar on Topix than you, little liar. Why aren't you signing in from Paris or Mongolia today, little liar?

do you really honestly THINK that ANYONE thinks you are logging on from all the points of the world? As if your lies are not enough, you have to insult everyone's intelligence at making believe you are in countries that you most probably could not find on a map?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

snyper wrote:
I thought this was already being covered by the LGBT museum in the Castro. Odd that the was no mantion of this.
Typical "EDGE" shallow reporting.
GADS! I hope they don't declare a bathhouse as an historical monument!
NSFW ... http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Oh, don't be so cynical. I recall a very much younger Curteese sitting in the Twin Peaks bar at Castro and Market, amazed at how it had huge windows, instead of hiding dark cave bar feel. Twin Peaks is across the street from a real busy MUNI subway station. Your much younger, and not quite out, Curteese sat there and stared in further amazement as hundreds of gay men filed in and out of the subway. I had never seen such a sight and was more than delighted to see so many others out and proud.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, don't be so cynical. I recall a very much younger Curteese sitting in the Twin Peaks bar at Castro and Market, amazed at how it had huge windows, instead of hiding dark cave bar feel. Twin Peaks is across the street from a real busy MUNI subway station. Your much younger, and not quite out, Curteese sat there and stared in further amazement as hundreds of gay men filed in and out of the subway. I had never seen such a sight and was more than delighted to see so many others out and proud.
I enjoyed the after-work Elephant Walk crowd.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed the after-work Elephant Walk crowd.
Oh, memories. I so recall that crowd, my favorites were the Wells Fargo bank loan officers or the Macy's clerks or guys from Williams Sonoma, still in suit and tie, bending an elbow in Elephant Walk, at 6 PM or so, along with their pals in flannel and denim.

Elephant Walk was another place of seeing a male parade outside its big front windows.

You just induced a 30 year old slide show of memories in my head, Snyper. Good times, good times....

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, memories. I so recall that crowd, my favorites were the Wells Fargo bank loan officers or the Macy's clerks or guys from Williams Sonoma, still in suit and tie, bending an elbow in Elephant Walk, at 6 PM or so, along with their pals in flannel and denim.
Elephant Walk was another place of seeing a male parade outside its big front windows.
You just induced a 30 year old slide show of memories in my head, Snyper. Good times, good times....
Remember the name of the coffee shop just down from the Toad?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the name of the coffee shop just down from the Toad?
Huh, not sure, there's a bagel sort of place on the east side of Castro, right near 18th. I've gotten coffee there, but don't even recall the Toad.

My favorite coffee shop in the world is Peet's Coffee on Market, right near Noe, about 3 blocks down from Castro. On a cold windy day there is nothing finer than to sit in one of its bay windows and watch the trees whip back and forth and folks in their fashionable coats stroll by.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Huh, not sure, there's a bagel sort of place on the east side of Castro, right near 18th. I've gotten coffee there, but don't even recall the Toad.
My favorite coffee shop in the world is Peet's Coffee on Market, right near Noe, about 3 blocks down from Castro. On a cold windy day there is nothing finer than to sit in one of its bay windows and watch the trees whip back and forth and folks in their fashionable coats stroll by.
Toad Hall ?!?!?!
Byron

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Tomas wrote:
I can't think of a more fitting monument to gay history than a bathhouse. Other than maybe t public toilet. What could gays possibly be remembered for other than sexual perversion?
Well said and 100% spot on!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Toad Hall ?!?!?!
No, I have heard of it, but never been. I never lived in the Bay Area, alas, but in my day, air fares were idiotically cheap. I mean sometimes PSA or United would offer a fare of like $25 each way. For a while, in the later 70's, Pan Am would do repositioning flights, planes from Tokyo that had to be in LA or San Francisco, that day. If you went stand by, and there was always room for they were 747's, you could take that Pan Am flight for THIRTEEN dollars each way. Even as cheap as gas was in those days, that was cheaper. I was running up north twice a month for years. I knew those days were Halcyon, but had no idea how much they were until now.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Byron wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said and 100% spot on!
And for you, little cowardly name changing liar, 100% SPIT on.
Hershel

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Tomas wrote:
I can't think of a more fitting monument to gay history than a bathhouse. Other than maybe t public toilet. What could gays possibly be remembered for other than sexual perversion?
I agree.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hershel wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
You agree that he is a filthy cowardly little liar, just like you?

Little chicken. cluck cluck cluck, little cowardly chicken. Too afraid to register and use one name, little lying coward. Afraid of gays. Wow. I knew it. I knew you were afraid of us big mean old homos. Coward.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 29, 2013
 
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>No, I have heard of it, but never been. I never lived in the Bay Area, alas, but in my day, air fares were idiotically cheap. I mean sometimes PSA or United would offer a fare of like $25 each way. For a while, in the later 70's, Pan Am would do repositioning flights, planes from Tokyo that had to be in LA or San Francisco, that day. If you went stand by, and there was always room for they were 747's, you could take that Pan Am flight for THIRTEEN dollars each way. Even as cheap as gas was in those days, that was cheaper. I was running up north twice a month for years. I knew those days were Halcyon, but had no idea how much they were until now.
Toad Hall was 3 doors down from the camera shop. Same side of the street.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Mission Discussions

Search the The Mission Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 15 hr seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 15 hr Pole swap 7,855
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 21 hr Orange Cove cow licker 200,366
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 22 hr rain or snow to slow 15,928
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
California man posed as cop to rape Central Ame... Jul 26 RIP 6
San Fran's 'Flagging in the Park' Jul 21 Jumper The wise 21
•••
•••

The Mission News Video

•••
San Francisco Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

The Mission Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

The Mission People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

The Mission News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in The Mission
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••