County urged to cut benefits, not ser...

County urged to cut benefits, not services

There are 18 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jan 18, 2010, titled County urged to cut benefits, not services. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Staff at the Union Rescue Mission downtown and Hope Gardens near Sylmar had a tough choice to make recently: Cut services to the poor and homeless, or take a salary cut and end their 401 matches.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Lornaj

United States

#1 Jan 18, 2010
Our leaders need a 20,% cut in their pay, and they need to pay for their benefits as well. With the money, they are receiving from their friends they can make it. Our so called leaders are putting on the tax burden of us because Big Businesses are paying them to do so.
Shocking

Long Beach, CA

#2 Jan 19, 2010
"TRICKS AND TREACHERY ARE THE PRACTICE OF FOOLS, THAT DON'T HAVE BRAINS ENOUGH TO BE HONEST." Benjamin Franklin

The poor have no clout?? You'd be surprised at the number of poor that DO vote!! Yet the rich keep getting richer while the people get poorer. The middle-class is now considered the "working-poor." And they don't have clout??

The Legislature better watch out because the ire of voters will be known at the next elections, ousting the crooks and their greedy pork lobbyist monies they gladly take to stay in office.

Do you really think the govt cares about the people? No, it only cares about corporations. There is another way to solve the deficit. Don't allow businesses who remain in their locations for years paying buttkiss in property taxes use prop 13.

The prop 13 was supposed to only help homeowners from losing their houses to greedy govt who kept raising property taxes until a homeowner couldn't afford to pay the high taxes and lost their homes to that very corrupt and greedy govt. Yet those very businesses/corporations make big profits at the people's expense.

There are a lot of gutless, clueless, educated/uneducated citizen bozos that don't give a damn, and now, we that vote, have to pay for that. The rich and corporations can get their people to vote for them and get many things passed because the average CA doesn't give a d*mn!

The tech toys the corporations dangling in front of people to keep them distracted is why CA is in dire straits. But the people have the power if they open their eyes and see what's really going on around them and fight back!!

"WE ARE ALL BORN IGNORANT, BUT ONE MUST WORK HARD TO REMAIN STUPID."
Benjamin Franklin

Even Franklin knew over 200 yrs ago what a corrupt govt could do to future generations. But one voice cannot win unless the rest raise their voices too.

Fight for CA, get rid of our bozo lawmakers and put some fresh new blood back into our veins. Mama says it's time to clean house!!
bjh

Alton, IL

#3 Jan 19, 2010
One step in the right direction in getting our mess straightened out is at the November elections,
do not vote for any of the incumbents, no matter what political party. Of course all of them are not corrupt but they obviously cannot overcome the ones who are. Start with new people in November and let them know that in the next election after November they will not be in office if they have not done the job the people want them to do.
Joe Peters

Surfside, CA

#4 Jan 19, 2010
Over a million citizens left our State over the last three years.

Isn't it too late for California citizens? Wasn't our complete failure to elect rational politicians in the City, County, and State who even CARE about doing anything positive for the citizens while managing our States revenues an admission that we couldn't care less about our State?

What else could explain Richardson, and the Lowenthals?
resident of Long Beach

Long Beach, CA

#5 Jan 19, 2010
Yes, this is the right solution!

Government workers USED to get lots of benefits and job security in return for a bit less pay than the private sector but NOW they get EVERYTHING and then some.

They get higher than average salaries sometimes extravagantly so, cadillac health benefits, full retirement, all the holidays off AND job security.

All while those who are paying for their extravagant salaries are barely making ends meet.

It is government salarie/pensions/benefits that is the cause of 80% of our deficit. We need to cut them down...ALOT to make it more fair and reasonable to the taxpayer.

The taxpayer is truly being ripped off, being forced to pay extravagant salaries without imput because the unions control our legislature.

Get involved and say "NO"!!!
bob lewis

Surfside, CA

#6 Jan 19, 2010
resident of Long Beach wrote:
Yes, this is the right solution!
Government workers USED to get lots of benefits and job security in return for a bit less pay than the private sector but NOW they get EVERYTHING and then some.
They get higher than average salaries sometimes extravagantly so, cadillac health benefits, full retirement, all the holidays off AND job security.
All while those who are paying for their extravagant salaries are barely making ends meet.
It is government salarie/pensions/benefits that is the cause of 80% of our deficit. We need to cut them down...ALOT to make it more fair and reasonable to the taxpayer.
The taxpayer is truly being ripped off, being forced to pay extravagant salaries without imput because the unions control our legislature.
Get involved and say "NO"!!!
You seem to think Democrats care about the future of our State. We vote to be an ever less functional third world pit. And, our "representatives" in City Hall and Sacramento continue to meet or exceed our decreasing abysmally low standards and expectations.
Big B

Long Beach, CA

#7 Jan 19, 2010
All of you disgruntled Democrats and Republicans need to rethink about voting for or creating a strong 3rd party. It is quite obvious that a bi-party system is no longer effective. All we hear is quarreling between the two parties and nothing gets done unless they are bribed. Did I say bribed? Thats illeagle! If it is then why are politicians getting special privileges so a bill gets passed. My opinion, We need a new government so that our needs can be met. I say fire and impeace all of them and start fresh!
Big B

Long Beach, CA

#8 Jan 19, 2010
Let's face it, we need to cut off benifits to the illeagals and let the Roman Catholic church deal with it. It is NOT the taxpayers responsibility nor should it ever be. Harboring illeagles should be a charitable function and since most illeagals go to church, the church should pick up the lions share. Mexico is also at fault for making these people so miserable that they do not want to stay in their Spanish speaking homeland.
watcher

Hermosa Beach, CA

#9 Jan 19, 2010
Big B wrote:
Let's face it, we need to cut off benifits to the illeagals and let the Roman Catholic church deal with it. It is NOT the taxpayers responsibility nor should it ever be. Harboring illeagles should be a charitable function and since most illeagals go to church, the church should pick up the lions share. Mexico is also at fault for making these people so miserable that they do not want to stay in their Spanish speaking homeland.
Wow, even sick birds collect welfare in California. No wonder the state is broke.
zane salazar

Surfside, CA

#10 Jan 19, 2010
I'm sorry that hard working Public Emp. Union members must suffer but they OWN the State Democratic Legislators who strangled California in massive social programs which exceed any in back in the proud American States.

The Unions used such poor judgment in WHO they purchased that our Legislature over spent the State's huge revenues by three times the total deficits amassed in ALL of the other 49 States combined.
Pam Rogers

Surfside, CA

#12 Jan 20, 2010
Amazingly, some who refer to themselves as PARENTS vote for our City and State Democratic Dictatorship in spite of the constant stream of mind boggling acts of treason against our families. Those who vote for these cretins are really nothing but Sperm or Egg donors. Not Parents by American standards.
Craig Wilson

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Jan 20, 2010
Don't blame the lowly DWP worker or city worker or State worker. Blame the legislators and the council members who make astronomical pay and get huge money from MY union dues to support measures and candidates I DO NOT support! Developers shove $$$ up every lawmaker and council member's A##. For a YES vote on developments the constituents do NOT want. Corruption is ther , every council dist and every legislative body. God will smite you for this! I don't have to lift a finger!
Rick Rogers

Surfside, CA

#14 Jan 20, 2010
Craig Wilson wrote:
Don't blame the lowly DWP worker or city worker or State worker. Blame the legislators and the council members who make astronomical pay and get huge money from MY union dues to support measures and candidates I DO NOT support! Developers shove $$$ up every lawmaker and council member's A##. For a YES vote on developments the constituents do NOT want. Corruption is ther , every council dist and every legislative body. God will smite you for this! I don't have to lift a finger!
I don't understand why you don't demand that your Union Leaders purchase pols who aren't running off the hard working tax payers who could be counted on to fund your pensions.

Their bought and paid for Legislators waste so much tax revenue on extravagent social programs that UNION MEMBERS will lost in the long run. It just doens't make sense.
Big B

Long Beach, CA

#16 Jan 21, 2010
Screw the Dems and Republicans! It's time to vote for a 3rd party! Anything with an animal symbol like a slow fat elephant and a jackass must tell you something.
Rick Rogers

Surfside, CA

#17 Jan 21, 2010
RW Crum wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you this- if anyone knows about not making sense, it's you.
It makes a great deal of sense if you are among those who didn't ride to school in the "little bus".

Disagree, but don't dismiss valid questions from those of us who are attempting to understand what got Calif. to the point where we may be the State that is least able to even PROSPER again.

Again, How safe is YOUR Pension when the POLS your Union backs do so much irreversible damage to the State that the NON Union families have to MOVE out of State? Aren't the Unions killing the goose that lays the golden egg?
Fred

United States

#19 Jan 21, 2010
Big B wrote:
Screw the Dems and Republicans! It's time to vote for a 3rd party! Anything with an animal symbol like a slow fat elephant and a jackass must tell you something.
I've been hoping since I was 19 for a strong 3rd party and voting mostly 3rd party since I could vote. I'm now retired. And the outcome is obvious, no strong 3rd party. Please do NOT get discouraged by my statement, but talk to everone you can about this and please know your facts. Good luck.
oscar jenkins

Surfside, CA

#20 Jan 21, 2010
ONLY lowering benefits and social programs without lowering pension obligations won't save us.

The Pols already crushed the taxpayers under over $300 Billion in unfunded pensions. Voters own the shame of electing such destructive politicians.
Yea Great

United States

#21 Jan 21, 2010
oscar jenkins wrote:
ONLY lowering benefits and social programs without lowering pension obligations won't save us.
So bottom line is you want to punish success and take away things that people worked for under contract. I really do hate using this word, but, that sounds really Un-American.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Mission Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Renewing DACA Once More Offers a Small Sliver o... Oct '17 David 1
News Corporate Pimp Mayor Ed Lee's Ford Nazi Bikes I... Aug '17 SFJazzer 1
News People dance against hate in San Francisco ahea... Aug '17 Ioe 7
News 'Patriot Prayer' organizer says he's willing to... Aug '17 Christsharian Dee... 1
News Presidio Terrace: A brief guide to San Francisc... Aug '17 SFJazzer 1
News Televised Comey testimony billed as a Super Bow... Jun '17 Comey vs Comb Over 1
News Bernal Heights artists, targeted after Ghost Sh... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Bernal Man 1

The Mission Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

The Mission Mortgages