Leaders call for cutting public emplo...

Leaders call for cutting public employee benefits rather than s...

There are 11 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Jan 18, 2010, titled Leaders call for cutting public employee benefits rather than s.... In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Staff at the Union Rescue Mission downtown and Hope Gardens near Sylmar had a tough choice to make recently: Cut services to the poor and homeless, or take salary cuts and end their 401 matches.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

Caltrans worker

San Bernardino, CA

#1 Jan 18, 2010
I wonder where you people get your numbers from. I have taken a 15% pay cut already and I am barely keeping my head above water. There have been no COLA raise's since Gray Davis was in office. I chose a job with the state because I could retire with a pension, I knew that my salary would not be very much. That's the trade off that you make. Those that make the six figure salaries are the suits that can't balance the budget. Pick on them and leave us rank and file workers alone. How would you like it if some a-hole with a petition could mess with your pay and future.
Caltrans worker

San Bernardino, CA

#2 Jan 18, 2010
P.S. Sorry your homeless, but is that really my fault?
WOW

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Jan 18, 2010
I'm impressed. Even CHARITIES are recognizing that state employees are raping the taxpayer. Geeeez. I'm impressed!
WOW

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jan 18, 2010
Caltrans worker wrote:
I wonder where you people get your numbers from. I have taken a 15% pay cut already and I am barely keeping my head above water. There have been no COLA raise's since Gray Davis was in office. I chose a job with the state because I could retire with a pension, I knew that my salary would not be very much. That's the trade off that you make. Those that make the six figure salaries are the suits that can't balance the budget. Pick on them and leave us rank and file workers alone. How would you like it if some **** with a petition could mess with your pay and future.
At the end of 2007, the State of California had nearly 15,000 full-time employees with annual base pay over $100,000. That means we pay these pigs 90% of 100K for the rest of their lives if they work 20 years. That's NUTS!
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

#5 Jan 19, 2010
they choose to cut something they NEVER should have been given. Ca. is going under partly due to their over giving to themselves and we should think good of them for cutting back? i think NOT!

Cut the pensions next!
Visiting Cowboy

Helena, MT

#6 Jan 19, 2010
Caltrans worker wrote:
I wonder where you people get your numbers from. I have taken a 15% pay cut already and I am barely keeping my head above water. There have been no COLA raise's since Gray Davis was in office. I chose a job with the state because I could retire with a pension, I knew that my salary would not be very much. That's the trade off that you make. Those that make the six figure salaries are the suits that can't balance the budget. Pick on them and leave us rank and file workers alone. How would you like it if some **** with a petition could mess with your pay and future.
The wages of sin....

America, particularly Kalifornia, has established a state religion run by a priest class. The religion is "the law" and the unionized bureaucrats are the priests. Like all theocracies, the priests are parasites who live off of everyone else.

Your elections are rigged. They have been for decades. You have fools like Ted Lieu or crooks like Laura Richardson "representing" you. The only thing that is going up are your taxes, while everthing else is spiraling into the toilet.

You have not freedom, everything you do, from raising your children to earning a living is controlled by the appointed "priests" of the bureaucracy.

You can quietly defund them and get rid of them, or you can wait until your kids are lying in the mud shooting at them.(I'd suggest sooner is better.)

Faith baised or private charities are the way to provide "services" for those who can't take care of themselves. There is massive amounts of money available, especially if the trusts who spend it on politics, start spending their wealth on doing good.

It's time to really start thinking about "change" and the first part of that change is a massive reduction in the size and scope of goverhment.(And a reduction in size and scope of corporations.)
Steve

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#7 Jan 19, 2010
They always talk about children losing their benefits but many of these children are passed around to be used by more than one family to increase their income. Might save us money in the long-run to put a system in place to start identifying these kids. I'm sure we have the technology but not sure if (ridiculous as this sounds) it wouldn't end up in court. Before we start decreasing benefits to deserving children, maybe we should rid the system of fraud.
common sense solutions

Fontana, CA

#8 Jan 19, 2010
While the tone and overall premise of this article is correct, the reporter should have noted that some public employees have already been sacrificing.

For example, many state employees have been furloughed 3 days a month, and some non-SEIU City of LA employees have experienced a 10% cut in pay (political cronyism and influence has shielded the SEIU)

And as far as I can tell, LA County employees have not been furloughed, nor have any city of Torrance employees for example.

The state should obviously first eliminate the thousands of state employees who make 6 figures; the huge increase in the number of employees making this amount is obscene.

Public agnecies should also eliminate double dipping, such as what allows Bernard Parks to make the obscene amount that he makes.

Finally, as illegal immigration costs Calfornia taxpayers at least $10 billion annually, cities and the state must end sanctuary policies that encourage illegal aliens to come to the state.
these too

Irvine, CA

#9 Jan 19, 2010
The IBEW and state prison guard union members have also been raping state taxpayers for years. These unions have to finally pay their fair share.
BWF

United States

#10 Jan 19, 2010
Give all our money to Goldman Sachs & AIG - yay!!
Dr Al

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#11 Jan 20, 2010
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
At the end of 2007, the State of California had nearly 15,000 full-time employees with annual base pay over $100,000. That means we pay these pigs 90% of 100K for the rest of their lives if they work 20 years. That's NUTS!
Your numbers are not even close to accurate. You are either a liar or a fool. Or jealous. You tell me which.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Mission Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News ???????San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus presents ... Dec 1 Imprtnrd 2
News Renewing DACA Once More Offers a Small Sliver o... Oct '17 David 1
News Corporate Pimp Mayor Ed Lee's Ford Nazi Bikes I... Aug '17 SFJazzer 1
News People dance against hate in San Francisco ahea... Aug '17 Ioe 7
News 'Patriot Prayer' organizer says he's willing to... Aug '17 Christsharian Dee... 1
News Presidio Terrace: A brief guide to San Francisc... Aug '17 SFJazzer 1
News Televised Comey testimony billed as a Super Bow... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Comey vs Comb Over 1

The Mission Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

The Mission Mortgages