Traffic-clogged Socorro Road: TxDOT t...

Traffic-clogged Socorro Road: TxDOT to re-stripe busy street, making three lanes instead of just two

There are 17 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jun 13, 2011, titled Traffic-clogged Socorro Road: TxDOT to re-stripe busy street, making three lanes instead of just two. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

A vehicle waits to turn onto Socorro Road from Jericho as cars pass. At times it can be almost impossible to cross, residents say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Citizen

United States

#1 Jun 14, 2011
If they really wanted to help reduce traffic, they should have never put the traffic lights at the entrance of the Tigua homes. It is ridiculous and unnecessary, they just wanted to make sure they waste all the budget, so it won't be cut down.
FOCUS

El Paso, TX

#2 Jun 14, 2011
Be sure you get the air quality boys to sign off on this one before you have to un-do those stripes.
Socorro Tx Transplant

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2011
What they need is more traffic enforcement and complience checks. I bet over 50% of the vehicle owners do not have valid insurance, registration or operators license. I have family nad friends who brag about this and have paper plates on their vehicles. And they have been stopped by local police, to include EPPD, SPD and Sheriff's Dept and nothing was done. Only the Texas DPS Cops do not take any B/S and tow the vehicles. And the ones who complain about the traffic are these same persons.
NOW

United States

#4 Jun 14, 2011
There absolutely has to be more Socorro PD presence between the times of 6am and 8am between the streets of TIWA rd. and BOVEE rd. drivers there use Socorro rd. in this area like a speed zone,I am not exaggerating when I state that vehicle will pass other vehicles in that area going up to 70mph, Someone is going to get killed I hate to say, Three years driving this route,not once have I seen a patrol car in this particular are!
Crazies will be crazy

Stoneham, MA

#5 Jun 14, 2011
This is what happens when the "city" of Socorro allows developers to go in and build a crap load of tiny houses in one small area without thinking about the ramifications. Every time I have gone to visit Socorro I see more houses but no improvement in the roads.
Crazies will be crazy

Stoneham, MA

#6 Jun 14, 2011
Socorro Tx Transplant wrote:
What they need is more traffic enforcement and complience checks. I bet over 50% of the vehicle owners do not have valid insurance, registration or operators license. I have family nad friends who brag about this and have paper plates on their vehicles. And they have been stopped by local police, to include EPPD, SPD and Sheriff's Dept and nothing was done. Only the Texas DPS Cops do not take any B/S and tow the vehicles. And the ones who complain about the traffic are these same persons.
I bet that 100% of your statistics are made up.

How do compliance checks solve the problem of too many cars on the road? Those people won't simply stop driving. They will just pay for the proper documentation since you cannot live in El Paso without a car. If the problem was funding, your solution would work. The problem is that the roads are simply not equipped to handle all the new residents.
Socorro Tx Transplant

United States

#7 Jun 14, 2011
When I lived in Socorro Viejo, EP City Limit to Cougar Park the speed through Socorro was 30 mph, and now it's 45 mph. Whoever is the traffice engineer and set this speed zones, has never been to any traffic courses offered by the TX DOT.
Puro Soco Loco

New Orleans, LA

#8 Jun 14, 2011
Any new adjustment to a road will only open a whole new way for the state or county to raise the taxs for this area. I agree something needs to done so the traffic can flow much more faster. Citizens of Soco needs to see that this is seen through with state and local grants, ese.
Socorro Tx Transplant

United States

#9 Jun 14, 2011
Believe me, safer roads and traffic enforcement will lead to smoother traffic flow. Enforce compliance laws and less vehicles on the road. It has been proven and works.
Mr-D ElPaso

United States

#10 Jun 14, 2011
Crazies will be crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet that 100% of your statistics are made up.
How do compliance checks solve the problem of too many cars on the road? Those people won't simply stop driving. They will just pay for the proper documentation since you cannot live in El Paso without a car. If the problem was funding, your solution would work. The problem is that the roads are simply not equipped to handle all the new residents.
I beg to differ sir I think if they were to tow impound and sell these at a auto or public auction or to the scrap yard to be crushed since most are junk anyhow this would help ease some of the traffic. Forget this fine crap they aren't going to pay them any how.
Crazies will be crazy

Stoneham, MA

#11 Jun 14, 2011
Mr-D ElPaso wrote:
<quoted text> I beg to differ sir I think if they were to tow impound and sell these at a auto or public auction or to the scrap yard to be crushed since most are junk anyhow this would help ease some of the traffic. Forget this fine crap they aren't going to pay them any how.
The simple fact is that you cannot live in EP without a car. Therefore more people in an area means more cars in that area. If you don't update the road system, traffic is going to increase.

I get that you are trying to make a sweeping judgment about the people of Socorro (poor, lazy, law evaders), but it does not address the actual issue of roads that cannot handle the number of cars.
Crazies will be crazy

Stoneham, MA

#12 Jun 14, 2011
Mr-D ElPaso wrote:
<quoted text> I beg to differ sir I think if they were to tow impound and sell these at a auto or public auction or to the scrap yard to be crushed since most are junk anyhow this would help ease some of the traffic. Forget this fine crap they aren't going to pay them any how.
And it's ma'am if you want to be fancy about it.
ggm

Spring, TX

#13 Jun 14, 2011
Puro Soco Loco wrote:
Any new adjustment to a road will only open a whole new way for the state or county to raise the taxs for this area. I agree something needs to done so the traffic can flow much more faster. Citizens of Soco needs to see that this is seen through with state and local grants, ese.
By all means, make sure that taxpayers who don't even live in the area are the ones to pay the bills. I'm sure you would be just as delighted to have your taxes go to building roads in Dallas right?

Part of growth is infrastructure. There is no reason your county cannot require the developers to make needed road improvements as a requirement for permitting new development as many other counties in the state do.
Puro Soco Loco

New Orleans, LA

#14 Jun 14, 2011
ggm wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means, make sure that taxpayers who don't even live in the area are the ones to pay the bills. I'm sure you would be just as delighted to have your taxes go to building roads in Dallas right?
Part of growth is infrastructure. There is no reason your county cannot require the developers to make needed road improvements as a requirement for permitting new development as many other counties in the state do.
All is well in a perfct world, ggm. But we are talking about El Paso county. I do not know if you are familiar with the way El Paso, and El Paso County is treated by the rest of the state of Texas. Well lets just put it this way we are at the bottom of the food chain. We might qualify for all kinds of other peoples monies but for some reason or another something will fall through and we will have to substain the bill ourselves.
ggm

Spring, TX

#15 Jun 15, 2011
Puro Soco Loco wrote:
<quoted text>
All is well in a perfct world, ggm. But we are talking about El Paso county. I do not know if you are familiar with the way El Paso, and El Paso County is treated by the rest of the state of Texas. Well lets just put it this way we are at the bottom of the food chain. We might qualify for all kinds of other peoples monies but for some reason or another something will fall through and we will have to substain the bill ourselves.
You should look to your school district. They receive way more than 1/2 of their money from the state. That is not true for most school districts. In fact several have to provide up to 70% of their funding through local taxes and only get 30% from the state. That would be one thing if El Paso were a rural district because farmers get exemptions on property taxes. Someone needs to take a look at the Tax Board in El Paso. By the way all of this is public information available on the Texas State website. Maybe you aren't the stepchild you believe?
Puro Soco Loco

New Orleans, LA

#16 Jun 16, 2011
ggm wrote:
<quoted text>
You should look to your school district. They receive way more than 1/2 of their money from the state. That is not true for most school districts. In fact several have to provide up to 70% of their funding through local taxes and only get 30% from the state. That would be one thing if El Paso were a rural district because farmers get exemptions on property taxes. Someone needs to take a look at the Tax Board in El Paso. By the way all of this is public information available on the Texas State website. Maybe you aren't the stepchild you believe?
Thanks for the tip. I will have to look further into this before the next time I indulge what little information I have. Socorro neighbors El Paso. Socorro is a farming community, although Socorro has been growing over the years at a fast rate. You can still see through out our small community farmers working the land from one side of Socorro, to the other side of Socorro. I know our taxes are not as high as other parts of El Paso county, but we also know they are not the lowest as other parts of El Paso county. With this said the record will show the people in El Paso county will have to produce what ever monies that are supposably available from any other form or entity, being local, state or federal, for projects of this manner.
Nun Ya

Washington, DC

#17 Jun 22, 2011
Fix Montana Avenue Already TXDOT! Fire the idiot that didnt do his homework properly and caused this whole mess in the first place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Elizario Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Command and Control Bunker for City Leadership 32 min Roundup starts 1_... 12
News The 'Location' of Khalid's Breakout Hit? The To... 2 hr Roundup starts 1_... 12
KC Chiefs Super Bowl Champs 2017 2 hr Roundup starts 1_... 7
News Cubans sold everything to reach US, now hundred... 10 hr Petro 29
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 11 hr Defiant1 23,954
Cowpoops Loose Agin 11 hr Petro 2
News EditorialsEditorial: Archbishop Flores' legacyE... 12 hr New Resident 4

San Elizario Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Elizario Mortgages