First Thanksgiving: 1598 Onate arriva...

First Thanksgiving: 1598 Onate arrival celebrated

There are 18 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 30, 2011, titled First Thanksgiving: 1598 Onate arrival celebrated. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Music filled the air Saturday at the 20th annual First Thanksgiving Celebration in the historic district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Doctor Good

United States

#1 Apr 30, 2011
Let's face it. No one really showed up at this festiable.
I was there. Empty, Empty, Empty. If you plan a festiable than plan it with intentions. I am sorry, this was worthless and a waste of time.

IT TRULY S - UCKED!
Doctor Good

United States

#2 Apr 30, 2011
And no I meant it (Not festival, it was festiable)!
US CITIZEN

United States

#3 May 1, 2011
MexiCAN'S hate Onate. First thanksgiving or not mexiCan's will never celebrate anything to do with the conquest of the Americas. MexiCan's will never accept the truth about the history as it really happened. For example, what happened to nearly half-a-million slaves from the north of Africa who were brought over as slaves?MexiCan's refuse to accept that seventy percent of the population has the African gene in them. There is a another leg in the make up of the people of Mexico. Only five hundred went to the celebration, goes to show you that mexiCan's are not educated. Onate IS YOUR DADDDY MexiCan's
depict it not revere it

El Paso, TX

#4 May 1, 2011
Depicting factual historical events doesn't mean you have to "revere" it or agree with it.
Tell the story and what people can learn from it in a realistic way. Same thing with other historical events. Some of the native Americans also had a harsh reality with how the white man's exploited the land to build America by displacing Indians,. What about the Slave Era, and how women were beat because the white land owners didn't want them to vote, etc.
There are still issues today that keep recurring because people don't learn from history.
That is not a pretty story but it is how America was founded. It goes true today.
depictor

United States

#5 May 1, 2011
onate and pancho villa were twins seperated at birth.
james russell ret

El Paso, TX

#6 May 1, 2011
WE do not need a second Thanksgiving celebration, especially with Onate as the head butcher in charge. Too bad the area indians here did not massacre the hole lot before he got to Santa Fe and butcher the pueblo indios there.
NMSU grad

Midland, TX

#7 May 1, 2011
US CITIZEN wrote:
MexiCAN'S hate Onate. First thanksgiving or not mexiCan's will never celebrate anything to do with the conquest of the Americas. MexiCan's will never accept the truth about the history as it really happened. For example, what happened to nearly half-a-million slaves from the north of Africa who were brought over as slaves?MexiCan's refuse to accept that seventy percent of the population has the African gene in them. There is a another leg in the make up of the people of Mexico. Only five hundred went to the celebration, goes to show you that mexiCan's are not educated. Onate IS YOUR DADDDY MexiCan's
Majority of slaves were dropped off in the islands, Cuba, Jamaica, etc, by Spaniards, sold by Dutch and again, etc. Spaniards were the majority of people brought over according to old books and diaries. Many Spaniards and their families were sent with the explorers to settle up the Mesilla Valley northward...calm down and enjoy the contributions made by these people, doesn't mean you have to like everything that was done.
Rey

AOL

#8 May 1, 2011
This a good example of how to entice tourists into the area. ADVERTISE. I NEVER heard of this historical event until I moved to EP.

This area has a lot of history and reasons to tour, but the only thing other regions hear about is the corruption, sleaze tours, legalization of drugs, fiction spread by the local politicians, etc. The only PR, we are getting is negative. Dont believe ask people in other rregions, most believe EP is in mid-Texas or Mexico. Thanks for the image EP pols.
SAlt

El Paso, TX

#9 May 1, 2011
"Missionaries settled here to begin their work converting the natives to Catholicism. "

Shouldn't this read: "Missionaries settled here to begin their work forcing the natives to convert to Catholicism against their will. "
Petro

El Paso, TX

#10 May 1, 2011
The hell with this euro crap, The Cinco de Mayo celebrations are ready to start.
thefunnies

Mesa, AZ

#11 May 1, 2011
US CITIZEN wrote:
what a pathetic little worm you are, what do you do all day look around where to print your same lame sad personality. It is actually really quite amusing reading your silly cowardly hidden xenophobic personality , hahahaha you are such a comical cartoon character that is is almost like reading the funnies when you write.
AWESOME

Novato, CA

#12 May 2, 2011
Rey wrote:
This a good example of how to entice tourists into the area. ADVERTISE. I NEVER heard of this historical event until I moved to EP.
This area has a lot of history and reasons to tour, but the only thing other regions hear about is the corruption, sleaze tours, legalization of drugs, fiction spread by the local politicians, etc. The only PR, we are getting is negative. Dont believe ask people in other rregions, most believe EP is in mid-Texas or Mexico. Thanks for the image EP pols.
I was on a flight from Chicago on Wednesday. I saw an ad for the Festival in the Southwest Airlines magazine in the pocket. I was impressed!
james russell ret

El Paso, TX

#13 May 2, 2011
Cinco DE mayo is a Mexican holiday and should have stayed there. There is a reason the state of Texas, County of El PAso and City of El PAso do not have it as a legal holiday,.... it's mexican inspired. So if Petro (or whatever his name today or tomorrow is) wishes to celebrate this holiday and spew his hatred of everything American, then he can go to Mexico and become one of their citizens and spew his communistic ways.
Yahinger

El Paso, TX

#14 May 2, 2011
depictor wrote:
onate and pancho villa were twins seperated at birth.
Hahaha

I've read some real ignorant comments but this one bites the cake. In 1599, Oņate and his soldiers killed 800 villagers. They enslaved the remaining 500 women and children, and by Don Juan’s decree,[2] they amputated the left foot of every Acoma man over the age of twenty-five. Eighty men had their left foot amputated. Other commentators put the figure of those mutilated at 24.

So, why is this such a celebration?? What am I missing here?
Oh, and by way, Pancho Villa was born in 1878. Juan de Onate was born in 1552. Sorry, they weren't brother. Read your books.
Mantonio

El Paso, TX

#15 May 3, 2011
By Any Means Necesary
Petro

El Paso, TX

#16 May 5, 2011
james russell ret wrote:
Cinco DE mayo is a Mexican holiday and should have stayed there. There is a reason the state of Texas, County of El PAso and City of El PAso do not have it as a legal holiday,.... it's mexican inspired. So if Petro (or whatever his name today or tomorrow is) wishes to celebrate this holiday and spew his hatred of everything American, then he can go to Mexico and become one of their citizens and spew his communistic ways.
Hey Jack A55 Mexico doesn't Celebrate Cinco de Mayo you dumbA55, I went down there for nothing could have been killed dumba55. Thank God I made back in time to Party Harty, Viva Mexico! next time keep your stupid mouth shut.
TrueHistory

El Paso, TX

#17 May 5, 2011
How many one legged Indians attended the event?
Jeffery D

United States

#18 May 5, 2011
US CITIZEN wrote:
And I am your daddy whitey,
Love your daddy who's your daddy?
SIGN JEFFERY DAHMER

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Elizario Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence is in, FARTS ARE GOOD! 8 hr Fart Evident 31
Caca and farts (Jul '17) 8 hr Fart Swamp 60
News Trump Tells The Story Of A Fallen Border Patrol... 8 hr TrumpFarts 8
I Hardly Ever Fart Here Anymore 11 hr Fart Lung 8
The White Fart House (Jul '17) 11 hr Fart Clouds 111
The Big Fart Debate 2 11 hr Use Fartsoaps 48
News Beware of cosmetic surgery practitioners who ar... (Feb '09) 11 hr Use Fartsoaps 51

San Elizario Jobs

Personal Finance

San Elizario Mortgages