Pedestrian struck, killed by big rig

Pedestrian struck, killed by big rig

There are 73 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Pedestrian struck, killed by big rig. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

A 47-year-old West Covina man died Thursday after being struck by a big rig on the 210 Freeway, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

Chucks Family

Glendale, CA

#21 Jan 28, 2009
Thank you to everyone for sharing your memories of Chuck. Please continue to share your comments. Each comment will be printed and given to Chucks mom in a memory book the family is putting together. We are also still looking for comments from anyone who was on the 210 eastbound freeway on Thursday, January 22, 2009 between 6:30 p.m. - 6:45 p.m. who may have witnessed this tragic event.
Ellen Glendora Ca

Whittier, CA

#22 Jan 28, 2009
This is my second try to get this onto the site. Hope it works. I was a trainer and instructor at Bally's in WestCovina, and talked many, many times to Charles. He was such a nice guy,always friendly and helping everyone out. My heart goes out to his family, and I wish we could find out all the details of the accident. Knowing Charles, he was probably helping out someone else in distress. He was certainly dedicated to his family, and to all the people who knew him he was always upbeat. Charles, I hope they have a precor for you in heaven! You will be so missed. Rest in peace and God bless you and your family.
Jess Gilman

Yorba Linda, CA

#23 Jan 29, 2009
I just heard about Chuck. We played basketball against each other in Jr. High and fortunately for me he was a wonderful teammate in High School. His competitive intensity was amazing. I am glad he was on OUR side!

I am truly saddened by this news.

My condolences to his family.

Ted Donnelly

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Jan 29, 2009
Yesterday was a sad day when I received the news; my thoughts go out to the family.
I knew Chuck since Kindergarten and he was always a great friend to all.
Chuck was dedicated to his family and all his friends, we could all learn from Chuck and how he lived his life.
Retired SMFD Fireman

United States

#25 Jan 29, 2009
Here I am again. For some reason I went back to the blog, I guess just see if anyone else looked at what I said the other day. I was pleasantly surprised.

As a retired first responder, over the years I have been to many similar accidents. It is always sad to see it when someone is badly injured or God forbid passes on. Yes, regardless of how we are raised and even with all of he training that we receive in the fire department, there are some situations that do stick in the back of our minds. This is one accident that does for me.

Although I have never met Chuck personally, I am comforted to see that he had many dear friends that loved him and that his life touched so many in so many positive ways. There are special people out there and although I never met him, Chuck apparently was one of these people.

It is comforting when we hear that so many loved and respected this man, and will remember him for the good that he did.

Again, my family’s prayers are with Chuck and his family in this trying time.

One final thought, Thank you Chuck for being Chuck!

P.S. To Chuck’s family: If there is anything that I can do to help, let me know.
E-mail: [email protected]
Scott Galetti

AOL

#26 Jan 29, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I never thought I'd be posting on a non-work related subject on this board, especially since I left the company in July to come out here. I just got word on Tuesday when his family got in touch with me. The only other times I've felt so much sadness was following the passing of my parents. Chuck was my brother and meant the world to me and we kept in close contact over the years right up to the day prior to his passing. Having worked at the Tribune and Star-News covering prep sports, Chuck was a great basketball player in high school before moving onto Gonzaga and Tulsa, and was the kind of player I wish I could've covered. He meant a lot to me and my family.

Since: Jan 09

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Jan 29, 2009
Chuck's family knows how to reach me, but my E-mail is [email protected]
Marcie Biggers-Worster

United States

#28 Jan 30, 2009
To Chuck's Mom:
I have been blessed to know Chuck since 7th grade and throughout high school. We had a wonderful conversation at our 20th reunion and he asked me if I had time, would I go by and visit you. To know Chuck was to know how much he cared and loved you. I don't know if you remember our visit,however, I remember walking away in admiration of the strong bond between mother and son. How lucky I have been to have had him as a friend in my life. My parents and I send our most heartfelt condolences to you and your family, Marcie
Trojan Lady

La Habra, CA

#29 Jan 30, 2009
I meet Charles at the gym were a was employeed. He was just so full of life.. My prayers and best thoughts to the family. If anyone has information on the funeral services please let us know..
Shelly

Laguna Niguel, CA

#30 Jan 31, 2009
It's so nice to see all the incredible comments about Charles. My heartfelt prayers and thoughts go out to all of his family and friends who are feeling the pain of losing someone so very special. It's a challenging time for me, as a close friend, and all the great comments are comforting. A special thanks to the retired fireman!

I checked with the Charles family and they gave me the following information to post:

Funeral services:
Saturday, February 7th
11:30am
Forest Lawn, Covina Hills
(off the 10 fwy near San Dimas)
Heritage Church (on the premises)

Also, for anyone who wants to send a flower arrangement, here's the phone number to contact Forest Lawn directly:

(800) 204-3131
Ask for the flower shop for the Covina Hills location.
Bally Member MP

Covina, CA

#31 Jan 31, 2009
Charles aka "Carlos" just lit up the gym. I went to the Ballys this morning and did not see him on his usual spot on the Treadmill. Then I got the bad news of his passing......

I will miss you and the positive energy you brought to all of us who had the oppurtunity to meet you........You were the epitome of the term "Class Act".......God Bless.....
Nancy

Covina, CA

#32 Feb 1, 2009
Do you have any follow-up information on this gentlemen or the incident. Charles was well known and loved by many at a Bally's gym he frequented two or three times a day. He was known by all patrons there and friends among many. He was well loved by the staff and known literally by hundreds. Everyone has been wondering the specifics of this accident and if there has been a fund set up in his name. Do you have any further details as to what happened and why and the hundreds that knew him at Ballys Health Spa can contribute to his family or a fund? Thank You
1595_maricela

Baldwin Park, CA

#33 Feb 2, 2009
He definately was a great man, he was bally's icon, or the bally's GODFATHER. We all came to him. I met Charles (chucky) about 16 years ago, at ballys, full of energy and enthusiasm. My daughter and I are heartbroken that our wonderful friend is gone. Is still hard for me to look over is he's no longer at his favorite machine working out. I will miss you always and thank you so much for all the good advise and for being there for me when i needed it the most.
1595_maricela

Baldwin Park, CA

#34 Feb 2, 2009
Services for Charles North funeral:
February 7, 2009 @ 11:00 am
Forest Lawn- Covina Hills
Church of Our Heritage
21300 Via Verde Drive
Covina Ca 91724

10 east, exit Via Verde
ballysph

Baldwin Park, CA

#35 Feb 2, 2009
Charles was a beautiful gorgeous man,extremely smart, tall, muscular... in shape but most important with a heart of gold, we (puente hills) are very saddened to hear that he's passed. I can only speak for myself but i looked up to him. you will be missed, i hope you can find a gym up in heaven, i cannot imagine you doing anything else but working out and always doing things for other people. RIP. members and employees at bally's
PATTY AND LIZ

Covina, CA

#36 Feb 2, 2009
WE MET CHARLES ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO, HE CAME OVER AND INTRODUCED HIMSELF AS HE DID WITH ANYONE. WE DIDNT THINK MUCH OF IT BUT HE BECAME A DEAR FRIEND, ALMOST LIKE AN OLDER BROTHER. HE ALWAYS MADE SURE WE WERE OK AND WALKED US TO OUR CARS ALMOST EVERY NIGHT.... WE ARE SHOCKED AND SADDENED BY HIS DEATH AND WE CANT BELIEVE THAT HE IS REALLY GONE. OUR HEARTS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY, ESPECIALLY HIS MOTHER. I KNOW YOU DONT KNOW US MRS. NORTH, BUT WE WERE THE GIRLS THAT WOULD HONK PAST YOUR HOUSE WHENEVER CHARLES WAS THERE. WE ALWAYS LOOKED FORWARD TO GOING TO THE GYM WHEN WE WERE DOWN BECAUSE WE KNEW HE WOULD BE THERE WITH A SMILE ON HIS FACE AND HE ALWAYS KNEW THE RIGHT THINGS TO SAY. WE WILL MISS YOU CHARLES AND WE ARE TRULY SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO SUCH A KIND, CARING, FUNNY AND LOVEABLE HUMAN BEING.
REST IN PEACE, WE KNOW YOU'RE IN A BETTER PLACE
<3<3<3<3<3
THE LUNA SISTERS
Cynthia

Concord, CA

#37 Feb 3, 2009
Well, where do I start.. I met Charles about 5 years ago and of course at Bally's. Right from the start he was friendly, kind and we connected right away. We would usually workout on the same machines and have long chats, and I knew he was listening and he really did cared. He would even tell people I was his "daughter". When I heard the news last Saturday, I couldn't even walk inside the gym knowing that he wasn't going to be there.
I will truly miss our long chats, laughs and everything else. You were a great guy Charles! I won’t say good bye but see ya later!

I sent my heartfelt condolences to his mom and family. RIP Charles.
evelyn luna

United States

#38 Feb 3, 2009
Charles you'll always be in my heart!
Eddie H

United States

#39 Feb 3, 2009
I couldnt believe the knews when I heard,I'll never forget you!You were a truly amazing inspiring person that will always be in my heart p.s. I made it into law enforcement like you always said i would..My heart goes out to your family.
DESERT RAT

Scottsdale, AZ

#40 Feb 3, 2009
He sounds like he was a very good inidiviual and I express my deepest regrets. I also withdraw my statement made in haste, with no knowledge of the circumstances involved.

May God bless him and his fgamily.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Dimas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man injured in Pomona shooting (Oct '07) 18 hr neSiO lOcO PSO GANG 63
News Angela-Chanselor neighborhood in Pomona sees re... (Apr '13) 18 hr neSiO lOcO PSO GANG 25
News 1 Dead, 1 Wounded In Pomona Restaurant Stabbing (Apr '07) 19 hr neSiO lOcO PSO GANG 50
News Teens protest legislation (Mar '06) 19 hr Red Foreman 237
News 18 La Puente gang members arrested (Jan '08) Sat Joe escandon 1,802
News Suspects Arraigned in Connection With Glendora ... (Jan '12) Dec '16 swain shooters 6
Is anybody care? Sep '16 Eva 2

San Dimas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Dimas Mortgages