Pedestrian struck, killed by big rig

A 47-year-old West Covina man died Thursday after being struck by a big rig on the 210 Freeway, authorities said. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
What the

Duarte, CA

#1 Jan 24, 2009
Everyone drives like azzholez nowadays, it's amazing to me how oblivious people are to their surroundings....
DESERT RAT

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Jan 24, 2009
Yeah, and a lot of people are just standing around on the shoulders of freeways just minding their own business.
What the wrote:
Everyone drives like azzholez nowadays, it's amazing to me how oblivious people are to their surroundings....
Retired SMFD Fireman

Chino, CA

#3 Jan 26, 2009
In this case, I was there!!!
Unfortunately, I did not accually see the accident happen, I did drive by it within 1 minute or so of it happening. Trafic was rush hour and heavy, and it was raining. There was a small fender bender, and for some reason the guy got out of his car and was struck by the truck!!
Immediately, many other drivers stopped to help, they were not just standing around, being a pain in the you know what. I saw at least 3-4 using their Cell Phones, trying to call for help, while others ran to try and help the poor guy at the time that he needed it te most. They were not just standing around!!
Unfortunately, I was in the carpool lane and the moving traffic would not allow me stop right away. I tried to get over, but it just was not possable. When I finally did exit, I returned to the scene, and the CHP was already there and doing what they do best.
GREAT JOB CHP!!!!!!
I also have congratualtions to everyone who stopped and try to help. It was a difficult situation and they did what they could to help.
Yes, sometimes it is unfortuate that there are rubber neckers and the like, and they usally make it difficult for those who can help in an emergency situation.
I wish that I could have pulled over sooner to help. Who knows, mayby with the years training that I had and my over 20 years in the Fire Service, I could have helped. I will never know..
But what I do know is that I did see many people taking time out of their lives and trying to save a fellow human being that needed help when he needed it the most.
There should be more people like those who did stop to help. Again, Cratualtions to them.
As a minor point, everyone should take the time to enroll in a Certified First Aid class, if you have not already been thru one. You never know, but the life that you may save, could be someone close to you.
RIP Charles

Leesburg, VA

#4 Jan 26, 2009
This man was the sweetest, kindest, most generous man ever! He was a good friend of my ex-husbands and whom I became close to as well. I know the CHP and You, firefighter did all you could. We will never know why some people do what they do and why.

RIP Charles, WE love you!
Retired Fireman

San Bernardino, CA

#5 Jan 26, 2009
You have helped our family in ways words can not express. Charles "Chuck" was killed on Thursday and the family learned about it from a simple call from the LA County Coroners office on Saturday Morning. Chuck is still in the LA County Morgue waiting release. No one in the family knew what happen until we read this this blog. If you or anyone else has anymore details, please blog here so we can contact you. The hearts of his family ache today of a death we only learned about yesterday! We do not know what has taken so long for the family to be contacted. Everyone thought Chuck was "just out" No one knew he was gone expect the people on the 210 freeway who and the CHP. Thank you to everyone who tried to save Chuck. You are all heros!
Family of Chuck

San Bernardino, CA

#6 Jan 26, 2009
To the Retired Fireman! The family of Chuck has sent the above blog to you. Thank you again!
Gym Friend

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jan 27, 2009
I've known Charles for a few years now. I met him while working out at the gym one day. He was a great guy who always tried making new friends. He would always introduce his friends to each other so that everyone new each other. He was always there to make you feel comfortable. Seeing Charles every night working out on the same machine and talking to everyone around him would always put a smile on my face. He was always so sweet and sincere. He will be greatly missed by everyone. RIP Charles. You are in a better place now.
RIP

Leesburg, VA

#8 Jan 27, 2009
Gym Friend wrote:
I've known Charles for a few years now. I met him while working out at the gym one day. He was a great guy who always tried making new friends. He would always introduce his friends to each other so that everyone new each other. He was always there to make you feel comfortable. Seeing Charles every night working out on the same machine and talking to everyone around him would always put a smile on my face. He was always so sweet and sincere. He will be greatly missed by everyone. RIP Charles. You are in a better place now.
That is how I met him, at gym! He said I inspired him to work out! I told him that HE was the one who inspired me. He will be missed!
Khanjo and Solmaz Hakeem

Somersworth, NH

#9 Jan 27, 2009
To Charles family:
We are truly sorry for your loss. We just heard about his accident yesterday and were heartbroken. We have known Charles for a few years now and were truly blessed for knowing such a kind and generous man.
He will be greatly missed.
God bless you.
sandra west covina

Andover, MA

#10 Jan 27, 2009
I just heard about your death yesterday. Ionly spoke to you a couple of times, but you were always friendly. You spent hours at the gym. You had one of the finest physiques I have ever seen. I'm sorry now I never got to know you better. I never thought such a thing could ever happen you you. It makes me realise that we should always treausure our friends and family, as we will never know, whats our fate going to be.
R.I.P dear friend. Sandra
Aya

Fujieda, Japan

#11 Jan 27, 2009
im writing from japan(i moved here in last May). I used live in Covina and go to the gym he always worked out at. I remember him being very friendly to people around him and he always looked very outgoing and fun. I was very shocked to hear the news from my friend there and still can't believe that such thing could ever happen to him. He still had long life to go. He will be missed greatly and Im sure that the gym wont look the same without him. im so sorry.
Chucks Family

Bryan, TX

#12 Jan 28, 2009
Your comments are comforting. It is wonderful to see how many lives Chuck touched!
Chucks Family

Bryan, TX

#13 Jan 28, 2009
If anyone witnessed the accident, please respond. We have little detail as to what actually happen. Our hearts are sad for our loss and for the burden the truck driver will always carry. We ask that you pray for both.
RIP

Leesburg, VA

#14 Jan 28, 2009
Dear Chucks family,

My heart and prayers to you. He truly was an amazing human being! Did his car break down or involved in an accident by chance? I am thinking that maybe, being the kind man he was, he got out of his vehicle to help another that had been in this "fender bender" that is mentioned?

Again, I am sorry for your loss of this loving, great guy!
Young

United States

#15 Jan 28, 2009
rip
Councilman Steve Herfert

West Covina, CA

#16 Jan 28, 2009
I just heard the news today, I'm saddened that my friend passed so young. I've know Chuck since he was in 7th grade. I coached him in basketball at Cameron Jr. High. He was a great athlete. He was a remarkable man and always positive about life. After many years apart, we met again at Bally's gym in West Covina. He worked out for hours and was friendly with everyone. We would always talk about City issues and he always wanted to volunteer time to the City. He was one of our hometown youth who grew up to be a role model in the city. God bless Chuck and his family and friends.
Shelly

Irvine, CA

#17 Jan 28, 2009
I've known Chuck since High School. I, and so many classmates, are in shock and disbelief. I just spoke to Chuck a few weeks ago and he brightened my day - as always! He was an incredible person, a gentleman, a great friend, supportive son and a spiritual inspiration. And, as his mother told me,"he was a dynamic person." How true!!
I'm sure Chuck is in heaven catching up with some family members, strategically planning his good deeds, and looking for the gym. I am grateful to have known him and be his friend for so many years. Chuck...I will miss you more than you will ever know!
Gil Alderete

Azusa, CA

#18 Jan 28, 2009
I am so sorry to hear this news. My wife and I saw Chuck and his aunt a couple of months ago at target, and had a few laughs. Chuck
you will be missed ! God bless you and my sympathy goes out to your family !
Kristi

Redlands, CA

#19 Jan 28, 2009
To Chucks Family, My prayers are with you at this terrible time. I went to school with Chuck and my dad was the basketball coach who organized the the basketball tour in Europe in 1979 which I was fortunate to go on. He had such a gentle soul. He will be missed.
Tony Cimmarrusti from MI

AOL

#20 Jan 28, 2009
thanks Shelly for passing on the info...Chuck was a great guy, and I really loved the times I saw him and got a chance to know him after high school...he was a string bean in high school, but turned into a beheamoth guy with an even bigger heart. I want his family to know how much I enjoyed my interactions with, Chuck, immensely. He was fun loving, and sincere, and I really enjoyed speaking with him about Jesus. Chuck was a gifted individual, with a great personal touch, and tremendous strength and heart....And we had alot of great interactions in the mid to late 80s and early 90s before I moved back to the midwest...he was just a joy, and I look forward to seeing him in heaven...my heart aches for your loss...much love and condolences, TonyC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Dimas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Glendora can expect another Darkness Award 28 min CA laws 1
Take douglas T weapons away from him 1 hr nerve hits 3
D Tessitor supports Communist China 1 hr all in 13
Glendora Blood alley an murders row 1 hr law an order 8
NRA and the SG mountains 14 hr entrance fee incr... 2
Isis needs to be eraticated like cockroaches 14 hr over seas 5
Man dies after assault at West Covina shopping ... (Sep '12) Thu BIGCUCUY VKHA 20

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at October 24 at 8:52PM PDT

San Dimas News Video

San Dimas Dating
Find my Match

San Dimas Jobs

San Dimas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

San Dimas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in San Dimas

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]