Thinking of moving to SW FLA, like Cape Coral, are there any "bad" parts?

Posted in the San Carlos Park Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BTZ5150

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

I'm seriously thinking of relocating to SW FLA and I'm amazed at how low some of the home prices are for what look like decent places. I've been down there several times to Ft Myers and Naples. I'm looking to spend under $100,000 for a home and I see a lot for sale in Cape Coral under $100,000, some way under that. When I was there, Cape Coral seemed pretty decent, I didn't see any "rough" areas where you'd be nervous about your safety. I know there's always some crime anywhere you go, but Cape Coral looked pretty OK to me. I did see some parts of Ft Myers that looked more on the "rough" side, but not in Cape Coral. So, my question for you is are there any parts of Cape Coral to stay away from? Part of why I ask is the prices just seem too good to be true, I live in Milwaukee now and while our real estate prices have come down some in the past few years, the only areas you can get a home for cheap are the parts of town where you'll hear gunshots on a regular basis!
Cape Coral Florida

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Southwest is very nice,However if you but check if the water utilities are PAID ~~If not threr could be up to an additional 20 Thousand so always check if it is paid !By the way I'm talking Water assessments.
Johnny5

Punta Gorda, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

The entire area is a cesspool on top of a landfill filled with feces.
FLABound

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

I bought a waterfront home in CC in 2007. We love the area and will move there permanently from PA as soon as we can retire. There are lots of nice things about the area, shopping, restaurants, and beaches that you'll enjoy. As long as you buy a home already connected to city water/sewer and verify all the assessments are paid you should be fine. The undeveloped parts of the city in the NE & NW you should avoid only because of the impending costs to homeowners to connect to public water and sewer expansion that are inevitable. Iwth the low prices nowadays, its a great time to buy in CC.
unnamed

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

There are many bad parts of Lee County. Cape Coral is pretty nice all the way around if you ask me compaired to other parts of Lee County. Id try to stay away from the Se part but that just me. I live in Nw Cape. I enjoy the quietness and no neighbors. Then agian ive met some Cape cops that call the NW Cape the "Wild west". In general though Cape is a wonderful place to live. Minus the 20$ grand water main city hookup ordeal or the alarming number of grow houses popping up its not so bad. I wouldnt ever recommend buying here. However if you intended to do so you might wanna think about buying in the north part of Cape rather than where its already built up. This city is only going to get bigger. There are many rough parts of Ft.Myers but just the opposite is true for Cape coral. I dont recommend buying right off any major road such as Cape coral Parkway or Veterans. The traffic noise might just drive you bannanas.
yernogood

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

You should NEVER take advice from someone that doesn't live here. They NEVER know what the hell they're talking about. Everyone seems to be an expert on Cape Coral now a day. It's a developing city and it doesn't matter where you buy. Everyone is always so quick to say SW cape. I’ve lived in the SW and its really no more special than anywhere else in the city but people seem to believe it’s the “exclusive” part of the cape, hence you pay big and there are more OLD stick homes there than anywhere else in the city, enjoy that when we get a cat 5 with the eye focused on that part of town. The biggest question is when people talk about assessments in the other areas; even going on the high end of 20k you’re probably still paying less than to buy in the SW. Do yourself a favor and invest some time in really looking at ALL the areas of the city and justify what YOU think will be the best investment. Good luck. Forget the cat 5 comment I just put that in to poke fun. Wait till you see how your future neighbors handle an impending storm. WOW!
Concerned

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Judged:

Dont do it....Buy in Sarasota!
unnamed

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Id have to agree with Yernogood, the best thing you can do is take the time to decide for yourself. I mean its your money so you wanna be happy with your investment. Though all advice helps its surely doesnt help with someone whom doesnt live in Cape Coral to begin with. I do like however he mentions the cat 5 hurricane cause that would be enough to drive anyone away from this city...good idea watch out for them hurricanes! haha...or at the very least buy a house that isnt stick built and has a good protection level atleast from bullets. Shutters are never a bad idea also.

Make sure you do some more research as mentioned above,its your money and you should be happy with your decesion.
yernogood

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Concerned wrote:
Dont do it....Buy in Sarasota!
I completely agree with this. In fact I’ll go as far as to say below Sarasota is pointless. At least on the West coast of the state.
Alex

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

I took 4 months to pick out a nice water front lot up in the NW. I looked all over Cape Coral. The North is very quiet. For me thats what I was looking for. Here in NJ I pay just over $13,000 a year in property tax. Cape Coral looks better and better. Take the time to Fly down once a month and drive around, and watch the news at night.
yernogood

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Alex wrote:
I took 4 months to pick out a nice water front lot up in the NW. I looked all over Cape Coral. The North is very quiet. For me thats what I was looking for. Here in NJ I pay just over $13,000 a year in property tax. Cape Coral looks better and better. Take the time to Fly down once a month and drive around, and watch the news at night.
Cool, but why if I can ask did you purchase a canal lot?

Since: Jun 10

Pt. Pleasant NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

yernogood wrote:
<quoted text>Cool, but why if I can ask did you purchase a canal lot?
I kinda did. Its up on the quick silver lake, you go down a canal, than under 1 bridge and your on the spreader. The lake is small, but where I live now in NJ on a canal it has condos right across and people come down for the summer and shoot off fire works and play music all hours of the night July and Aug. I like the lake because I don't have someone right across from me.
Resourceful

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Judged:

I have lived in the Cape for almost 10 years.
It is a very interesting place, people are generally friendlier here than some other areas.
I am also a Real Estate agent and would be glad to help you/
Please feel free yo contact me

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Johnny5 wrote:
The entire area is a cesspool on top of a landfill filled with feces.
That's quite an assessment.
Cape Coral Florida

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Resourceful wrote:
It is a very interesting place, people are generally friendlier here than some other areas.
GREAT Place to USE as a buisness link !!!!!!!!!!
yernogood

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

F-NJ wrote:
<quoted text> I kinda did. Its up on the quick silver lake, you go down a canal, than under 1 bridge and your on the spreader. The lake is small, but where I live now in NJ on a canal it has condos right across and people come down for the summer and shoot off fire works and play music all hours of the night July and Aug. I like the lake because I don't have someone right across from me.
Sounds cool Alex. Hope you take your time and get the right design and builder. Just remember, nothing at all is as it is up North. Virtually EVERYTHING you do is different. If you leave for any period of time no matter what anyone says to you do not set you’re A/C to 80 to 82 degrees, that is a real popular myth with many of realtors that home watch and believe me choosing a home watch is at least as hard as finding the right builder. Mold starts to grow at around 59 percent humidity, setting you’re A/C to 80 will pretty much guarantee a humidity of 60 to 62 percent, as soon as mold starts to grow you can count on that percentage to increase to near 100 percent. Home…destroyed
yernogood

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Resourceful wrote:
I love how you state people are friendlier here than “OTHER” places..Are we talking hell maybe? No but seriously I find that people are extremely rude.
Resourceful

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Maybe that because your name says it all!

Since: Jun 10

Pt. Pleasant NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

yernogood wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds cool Alex. Hope you take your time and get the right design and builder. Just remember, nothing at all is as it is up North. Virtually EVERYTHING you do is different. If you leave for any period of time no matter what anyone says to you do not set you’re A/C to 80 to 82 degrees, that is a real popular myth with many of realtors that home watch and believe me choosing a home watch is at least as hard as finding the right builder. Mold starts to grow at around 59 percent humidity, setting you’re A/C to 80 will pretty much guarantee a humidity of 60 to 62 percent, as soon as mold starts to grow you can count on that percentage to increase to near 100 percent. Home…destroyed
So true. I read and hear so much its hard to get fact from fiction. I hope to get back down next month. In Dec DQ is closed down so my wife and I can both go down and start to look over model homes. I don't think we can build for another 5 years because my youngest daughter is only 11, so we woulden't be able to spend the winter there yet. Thats a good thing so we have a lot of time to look for a good builder. The next thing I need to do is to put in a Sea Wall. When I went down to look for a lot I wanted to find 3 things. QUIET, water front, and nice homes around. When I saw this lot in the North it had many things going for it. QUIET, water front, and it had that nature preserve on the cornor, a 10 min walk to a beach on the other side of the preserve, and the lot was 160 by 125. I saw it and I just knew this was the one. We plan on a small house so we will have space between us and the neighbors if anyone else ever builds there. I cant wait to get back down there in Aug. I want to hit that Brick house Pizza place again. LOL
yernogood

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Resourceful wrote:
Maybe that because your name says it all!
And there you have it. Thanks for proving my point doll.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
San Carlos Park Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

San Carlos Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••