Autism cluster found in Santa Clara C...

Autism cluster found in Santa Clara County linked to parent edu...

There are 22 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jan 5, 2010, titled Autism cluster found in Santa Clara County linked to parent edu.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Researchers have identified a cluster of autism cases in the South Bay - but the elevated regional incidence seems linked to parents' ability to gain a diagnosis for their child, rather than any geographic risk.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RobtA

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Jan 5, 2010
This is a very interesting article.

I recall a time and place where the advantaged parents of advantaged kids did NOT want them to be placed in remedial school programs, even though the kids were properly placed there, because of the "stigma."

Then, when programs emerged that gave preferential advantages to kids with learning disabilities, suddenly they were all for putting their kids in the remedial programs!

Ah, but it was advantaged parents who knew the tricks. I hesitiate to use "white," since when this came to my attention nearly everyone in the community was white. It was a matter of whether or not the parents were professionals, not a matter of race.
Corralitos Taxpayer

Salinas, CA

#2 Jan 5, 2010
The anti-immunization crowd isn't going to like this.
Parent of Autistic Child

Oroville, CA

#3 Jan 6, 2010
I think parents of Autistic children are just desperate for answers...any answers...that might lead to a cure for their child. There is research into immunizations, diet, genetics, etc...but something is still missing. I truly believe that it could be any of these things, but there is still some missing link....something that, when combined with one of the aforementioned things, triggers this disorder. However, I do find the amount of progress you see in some autistic children with a change in their diet to be intriguing. Not to mention the "miracle cases" where the person just seems to "grow out of it" with time. Fortunately, my daughter has received many helpful services and has made leaps and bounds in the few years since her diagnosis....but I'll continue to pray for a cure.
giacoletti

San Simeon, CA

#4 Jan 6, 2010
I would like to see an equivalent study done in these
"cluster" areas of possible fireplace use. I know Redwood City is often polluted by dense wood smoke. People in the "upper levels" of income and education are notoriously blind to the hazards of burning wood.
In real estate ads for the most expensive houses, a wood-burning fireplace is usually one of the first
"amenities" listed.
Say No To Green Extremism

Redwood City, CA

#5 Jan 11, 2010
Oy vey. Another wood smoke Nazi!
Nancy Nutly

United States

#6 Jan 19, 2010
Obama can help you , if you pay more taxes!
Nesdon Booth

Pomona, CA

#7 Jan 20, 2010
Parent of Autistic Child wrote:
Fortunately, my daughter has received many helpful services and has made leaps and bounds in the few years since her diagnosis....but I'll continue to pray for a cure.
This really seems to be the "cure," good consistent and enduring therapy. Many very profoundly impacted children grow up to be highly functional adults with this sort of intense intervention. In fact the symptomatic distinction between Asperger's Syndrome (AS, which I "suffer" from) and other forms of high functioning autism (HFA) is so minor that the AS diagnosis is being combined with HFA.

Tony Atwood's typical way of beginning as AS diagnosis is "Congratulations..." Temple Grandin says that if not for we "autistics" humankind would still be flirting in the back of some cave. I suspect the vast majority of geniuses are on the autistic spectrum. So don't be so quick to look for a "cure" but instead try to help your child manage the symptoms and learn lesrn learn.
Nesdon Booth

Topanga, CA

#9 Jan 20, 2010
Hugh Jackmore wrote:
Let Obama help you! He can make your kid a real f---up! You people piss me off! Let obama help you have black grand kids!
Hugh, are you nuts, or just a racist fool? What does this have to do with anything we are discussing here?
Renee

Daly City, CA

#10 Jan 21, 2010
Nesdon Booth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hugh, are you nuts, or just a racist fool? What does this have to do with anything we are discussing here?
He's an alcoholic at the Blue Bonnet Bar in Sunnyvale. He is obsessed with President Obama and (Sadly) with me. And yes, he is a racist. The jerk sits in the bar and posts while drunk.
raymond

Gatineau, Canada

#11 Jan 21, 2010
Highly educated people undersand risk of diseases. Therefore they tend to vaccinate their children as per their schedule. Therefore higher vaccination rates corresponds to higher autism rate. Directly or indirectly autism relates to vaccines.

They can say all to sweep autism and vaccine link under the carpet but it will never go away since it is the truth not considering thousands of parents reporting autism shortly after vaccination.
RDC

Antigo, WI

#12 Dec 31, 2010
Consider Bartonella testing.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 Apr 10, 2011
raymond wrote:
Highly educated people undersand risk of diseases. Therefore they tend to vaccinate their children as per their schedule. Therefore higher vaccination rates corresponds to higher autism rate. Directly or indirectly autism relates to vaccines.
They can say all to sweep autism and vaccine link under the carpet but it will never go away since it is the truth not considering thousands of parents reporting autism shortly after vaccination.
I'm with you Raymond. There was a time autism was connected to highly educated people, even older parents. Of course these people were better off financially, and could simply afford vaccines. Unfortunately they were introduced to the first cases of vaccine induced autism.
Rob

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Apr 10, 2011
The autism spectrum has been stretched so wide that almost all kids can fit the definition. When I was a kid I would have fit into the current Asberger like definition...

As for the anti-immunization crowd...we know the dangers of not having a child immunized. We could not opt-out in the old days and there were fewer autism cases. I would love to see a study done with a 40+ year timeframe.

“Marching to my own drum beat.”

Since: Mar 11

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Apr 11, 2011
Rob wrote:
The autism spectrum has been stretched so wide that almost all kids can fit the definition. When I was a kid I would have fit into the current Asberger like definition...

As for the anti-immunization crowd...we know the dangers of not having a child immunized. We could not opt-out in the old days and there were fewer autism cases. I would love to see a study done with a 40+ year timeframe.
I don't think the definition has been stretched, I think we have a better understanding of what is going on. I think we all have some degree of autism anyway, but it is more pronounced in others.

And I agree with your statement concerning vaccines. There are so many dangers in not vaccinating kids, it is frightening. More people give the excuse that they don't immunize their kids for religious purposes then ever before. I find myself wondering how that is working out for them.
scout

Castro Valley, CA

#16 Apr 11, 2011
Yes,'Special Education' is a cover for intense Marxist education and tax payer rip off. Marxist politicals HATE real education, so increase taxation for the retarded while doing everything possible to decrease education for children of normal parenting.

Want to argue?

Check the cost of educating retarded at any school district. Astronomical and NO return whatsoever other than REMOVING education responsibility from the parent.

Also, SOME, but not all, parents of retarded scam districts for special 'private' school placements, AT TAX PAYER EXPENSE.

Parents are often awarded taxpayer support for legal fees! The entire system is Marxist based forcing INCREASE taxation Marxist schemes under cover of 'feel good' child relations.

Parents of retarded MUST take care of their own children to the best of their ability, and NOT rely upon taxpayers to support their problem.

Taxpayers should NOT support public education anyway as even our 'normal' children are subjected to Marxist ideology via public ed, anyway.

Best for ALL parents to homeschool with reduced taxation formula.

Still want to argue about homeschooling?

Check test scores of homeschooled children. FAR HIGHER than anything that Marxists schools produce!

Further, any child that has high public school scores come from families of strong structure, like India or Japan!

Dang!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#17 Apr 11, 2011
Rob actually has a valid point. For instance aspergers and PDD-NOS wasn't always part of the DSM until the mid 1990's so prior those wouldn't had even of had such a diagnosis. Since it's 'considered' the 'autism spectrum' when it's actually all part of the PDD's (it should be the PDD spectrum, not autism), no one really knows what of the 5 PDD's a child might have when someone says "autism spectrum". The spectrum has been stretched and these days no one even uses the proper terms yet then no one wants the changes coming to the DSM which but yet again will change how people are diagnosed.
scout

Castro Valley, CA

#18 Apr 11, 2011
friend wrote:
Rob actually has a valid point. For instance aspergers and PDD-NOS wasn't always part of the DSM until the mid 1990's so prior those wouldn't had even of had such a diagnosis. Since it's 'considered' the 'autism spectrum' when it's actually all part of the PDD's (it should be the PDD spectrum, not autism), no one really knows what of the 5 PDD's a child might have when someone says "autism spectrum". The spectrum has been stretched and these days no one even uses the proper terms yet then no one wants the changes coming to the DSM which but yet again will change how people are diagnosed.
Marxist split hairs. People that fail to perform at average speed are RETARDED. If they fail to understand abstractions then they can be directed into concrete occupations.
scout

Castro Valley, CA

#19 Apr 11, 2011
About the 'asperger' mind set. Many of the code writers have this little 'problem,' and it works for them.

Asperger must be genetic as they have kids with the same problem. Male kids, mostly. Can't abstract, but CAN use concrete stuff like math and how the logic of math applies to writing computer code.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#20 Apr 11, 2011
That's funny. Would you consider those with aspergers 'average' then? And wouldn't those parents who home school be considered not really having an actual occupation?? Would home schooling be considered a concrete occupation?? LOL!
scout wrote:
About the 'asperger' mind set. Many of the code writers have this little 'problem,' and it works for them.
Asperger must be genetic as they have kids with the same problem. Male kids, mostly. Can't abstract, but CAN use concrete stuff like math and how the logic of math applies to writing computer code.
FBOMBER

Winkler, Canada

#21 Apr 11, 2011
scout wrote:
What you describe is likely brain damage to an area, and the brain attempting to compensate in others. The brain is meant to work, and does so even with damage. Genome Project reports autistic children have mutation that did not originate with their parents. Its easy to find if you search. Of course we're not made aware of it because its against the medical status quo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Carlos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Floating comes to Redwood City near Bed, Bath a... May 26 Michelle2m 1
Police action Thursday May 21 Alameda/Brittan 8... (May '15) May '15 Deb Mangels 1
News Local painter records wedding memories on canvas (Mar '09) Feb '15 calebhart54 3
News License plate readers back on San Carlos counci... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tim Gordon 1
San Carlos Xmas street best year ever (Dec '05) Dec '14 specialyear 20
10000 acres real estate land for sale (May '09) Nov '14 Wally West 2
News San Carlos residents rise up against possible r... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Bear 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Carlos Mortgages