Review: Cathy Jean Shoes

Posted in the San Carlos Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
GaPeach

Mcdonough, GA

#1 Jan 1, 2009
I have bought a few pair of sandals from their stores when on sale only. The shoes are overpriced b/c they are poorly made. You can see seams & glue on some. I have shopped in their stores at 3 different malls and 2 of them have very bad customer service. I sent an email to their corporate about an incident and they didn't even respond so I think this is even the case on the corporate level...SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SHOP ELSEWHERE
Karizona Chandler AZ

Tempe, AZ

#2 Jan 31, 2009
To whom it may concern,
Very little prompts me, positive or negative to hop on the computer and document an incident; but little has irritated me as much as my experience in your store today.
Sixteen days ago I purchased a slouch styled boot from your store at the Chandler Fashion Square Mall location. We have had a warn spell here in Arizona, so I didn't wear them for several days after I bought them. The first 2 times I wore them with pants, so I had a little heavier sock on with them. The third time I wore them I wore a skirt and nylons. Mid-way through the day I could barely walk my, heels were so sore. When I got home I put my hand in the boot and realized there was a 1X1 peg that was coming up through the heel in each boot!!!
I work long hours, so it wasn't until today that I could get back to the mall to exchange them. When I explained to the clerk the problem with the boot, she said they had gotten a memo about the defect and would be happy to replace them with another pair. No problem. Love the boot and she assured me that only a small number of boots had the defect. After bringing out 4 different boxes in my size, it was pretty clear the problem was more wide spread. All were defective to differing degrees. She offered me a store credit. No thank you I said, I almost never even walk in this store, the heel height on almost all of your styles are too high for me. That was all she could do. WHAT!?? Defective boot!!!! You can offer me only another defective boot? And my only option is a piece of paper to spend more money here?
I'd like to speak to the manager was my next request. Come to find out the other woman, who had not made eye contact with me or even acknowledged me while I was in there (keep in mind it's been well over 1/2 hour), was the MANAGER???? And I was informed by Kassi (the salesclerk); that it was Lauren's (the manager's) first day. Well she's off to a fine start!! Complete lack of customer service and she leaves her staff to deal with someone who is becoming a more and more dissatisfied customer.
Fine get me the district manager or someone by phone that I may speak with. No, that was not possible as they do not speak with customers......humm. So after Kassi finished speaking with the manager by phone (she left the room...odd), she came back and informed me that there would be nothing else she could do or anyone could do because it was store policy. I asked again that she make the call and get the district manager on the phone; please let her know that the customer is extremely unhappy at this point and that this is not just a typical return/exchange. Again defective item and I am given the option of another defective item or a piece of paper to shop here again???????
I am in customer service for a living, so I know there are rule and policies that must be followed. I also know when there is an extreme situation that there are always exceptions made to the rules. I was 6 days past the 10 day return policy, fine but the merchandise is DEFECTIVE and apparently your company is aware of it!!!!!!
Neither your clerk Kassi nor the new "stellar" manager you've hired for the store know much about working with people. To let me walk out of the store as irritated as I was; unbelieveable!
My rant is over. I don't feel any better because I have a yellow piece of paper worth $71 that will probably never be spent. As a single mom this is not money I can afford to throw away. I will blog and note wherever I can my experience today. It is the reason so many companies eventually fall. POOR customer service.
One dissatisfied customer,
I ECHO THE ABOVE LETTER. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SHOP ELSEWHERE!!
karliaz

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Feb 15, 2009
I have never ever got on my computer to rant and rave about a business or company but do also feel it very necessary to say something about Cathy jean shoes.

They are extremely unprofessional as well as shady with there business practices and let me tell you why. I was hired by the company and it is true the managers don't know what they are doing. The turn over rate with this company is extremely high. They have crazy standards as far as sales quotas of which they obviously cant meet due to the fact they now only have two stores in Arizona. They expect you to sell day one training forget training just sell. I mean honestly how can someone sell a product if they are not even aware of all the inventory and store practices etc. As if that weren't bad enough you are required to bring out three pairs yes three pairs of shoes no matter what really!! This is day one forget the fact you don't know inventory forget the fact it is your first day just bring out the shoes cause it all about sales.

Okay fine this is a sales position but lets talk about customer service they have none. They are the rudest sales associates and regional managers ever. I worked here for a couple days and decided I can't work for a company like this do you think i got my check nope four months later I got my check and when i did recieve the check it was dated the week I worked there shady very shady.

They also expect you to memorize a list of all there shoes before you start are you kidding me that is so you can bring out the three pairs of shoes day one. I wish i was told this in the interiew I would never have worked here had I know that. The shoes are way over priced and you can find better quality shoes for the price they are selling there shoes for.

There are several other things I can say but I will choose to keep it classy and will not totally go off like I want to. I also feel this is the number one reason companies fail poor customer service and Cathy Jean Shoes takes the cake.

Former Employee
Richie

El Dorado Hills, CA

#4 Feb 17, 2009
Good for quiting "karliaz",

But 4 months for a check ... wow!

California law requires employees to be paid on the spot if layed off, or payment on a regular payday if they quit. Definite and severe monetary penalties are imposed on employers who don't comply. Based on the amount of time it takes the employer to provide a pay check, penalties increase and are payable to employees.

Check with your state Consumer Affairs or Labor Relations, statutes of limitations apply.

Consumer fraud can be pursued through the State Attorney Generals Office. No statute of limitations on that there.

Rich
Rich

El Dorado Hills, CA

#5 Feb 17, 2009
"Karizona Chandler AZ",

If you Contact your State Attorney Generals Office for a complaint form, I'm sure they'll get a cash refund for you unless the stores return policy prevails without regard to defect?

Rich
Anonymous

Cerritos, CA

#6 Feb 21, 2009
Rich wrote:
"Karizona Chandler AZ",
If you Contact your State Attorney Generals Office for a complaint form, I'm sure they'll get a cash refund for you unless the stores return policy prevails without regard to defect?
Rich
Sorry Rich but I have been in retail for quite sometime and the way they get around giving you your money back is they generalize there return policy. Cathy Jeans return policy is refund within 10 days NO EXCEPTION. Exchange within 30 ONLY if the store still has that style in stock, if they do not you can't exchange it even for a different shoe.
I recently got hired with this company as a manager and am trying to do as much as i can unfortunetly a store manager can only do so much when company policy stands in her way.
I do pride myself and my girls on customer service but i will be the first to admit that the policies are horrible. And customers no matter how much complaining, threatening, etc. they do will not get there way because for some ODD reason the company would rather lose a repeat customer then that $71.
Annie

Eugene, OR

#7 Mar 4, 2009
I had purchased two pairs of heels on-line - at the bargain price of $60 a pair - and when they came, one of the pairs was two different sizes. Looking at the return policy on-line, I note that you send them back on your dollar. I emailed customer service, as this was no fault of mine, no reply. Eventually, I find a number for the company in California, call, and the lady I spoke to said it was her fault, as she filled the order, and she (out of her own pocket) would send me the cost of shipping. Yeah right, I paid to send the shoes back for an order they messed up ( those $60 heels turned into $70), and now, after only having them for six months the sole in the toe area is cracked in two. Nice. I love the look of the heels, but I am searching for another company to give my money to.
Jonah

Dublin, CA

#8 Mar 11, 2009
Wow! So many bad experiences everyone seems to have had. That not only frustrates me but irritates me as well. Me being a Cathy Jean Manager in CA I understand the value of outstanding customer service and quality of the product.

First what the consumer needs to understand is that when you shop at Cathy
Jean you need to go into it knowing these shoes are fun and trendy. They will not last you a lifetime but a few fun nights! Everyone knows that, thats why women love to shop there because they're getting a fun faboulous shoe for a great price! Lets face it, if your spending $350 on a pair of shoes they better last forever right? But $35? C'mon now, they're just for fun!

As far as bad experiences people have had in stores I feel really bad. While not an excuse, as a company we tend to hire High School age sales girls. This may only be their first or second job so while not a seasoned sales person you should still recieve great customer service. As far as management goes there is no excuse. I've been in sales for years and years and so has all the upper management so outstanding service and going the extra mile is definately something I pride myself and the staff on.

I hope women of all ages continue to shop at Cathy Jean because it is a great store and you can always find something fun cute and affordable there!!
Forgiven

Atlanta, GA

#9 Mar 15, 2009
I found a pair of shoes that I liked in the store but they didn't have my size. I found the same pair of shoes on their site for $22 dollars higher. Thus, I decided to write their customer service dept. and here is what happened:

**MY EMAIL**

To whom it may concern,

I am interested in purchasing this shoe, however in my area, none of the Cathy Jean's have my size. I do see that you have my size (8) available online but you are selling for $67.50. This should in the store locations is only $45. Is there anyway that I could purchase this shoe online for the in-store price?

Thanks!

Their response**

Hi,
I can not make any price adjustments, sorry.
Thanks!
Linda
So I decided to take the shoe back to one of their other store locations and this is when the CSR told me she couldn't take the shoe back because they didn't have the shoe is stock. WTHeck? So I had to take the shoe back to the ORIGINAL store location (grrrrr). If you purchase from there all I can say is BUYER BEWARE!!
cec253

Tacoma, WA

#10 Mar 29, 2009
Cathy Jean has horrible customer service! Every time i'm lured in by some cute pair of shoes, that I must beg the csr to grab from the back, just to find out they are poorly made a few days later! I will NEVER shop there again i repeat NEVER! I will also echo and say "buyers beware".
name

Bayside, TX

#11 Mar 29, 2009
wow
EX-CATHY JEAN

La Crescenta, CA

#12 Apr 3, 2009
I recently quit... and I have to agree with everything that everyone has said. I did not expect this first working here.. which of course is why I quit because they just treated their employees so bad and the managers think they can do what ever they want and make there own rules. CJ is very shady and unprofessional. I think all the negative reviews are because of the owners, which of course is an old fashioned family: the dad (BUD, I KNOW RIGHT... what a name) and his daughter which is the one who he decided to name the store after and his son, CHIP! They should honestly go bankrupt already.. BRAZIL MADE MY ASS! I do not know how they manage... I JUST DON'T KNOW.

NO COMPUTERS.. HORRIBLE RETURN POLICY... SCANDALOUS EMPLOYERS... AND THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!
Ex-CathyJean

United States

#13 Apr 6, 2009
Cathy Jean is a bad environment to work at and they take advantage of High School students and fresh College Students. My sister got hired at Cathy Jeans and they abused her. I am going to report to the BBB and Board of Labor as well as their corporate office on their unfairness and unethical business practices. CJ (Cathy Jean) manipulated their employee work hours. The store Mgr would take all the time sheets and clock the employees out at let say 8PM and REQUIRED (FORCED)them to stay back to clean the store WITHOUT pay. My sister has to put in 30 mins to 1 hr each time she work the late shift. Also, the District Mgr was unfair and schedule my sister to work more night shifts (closing shift) b/c she was better at cleaning than the other employees. This is so UNFAIR and unethical of CJ. I am sure if all current and x-CJ employees were to sue CJ, they would win. I have not heard of any law where a company is allowed to manipulate the employees working hours AND making them stay back to work extra for FREE. This is just so wrong in many ways.

If you know of anyone who want or is planning on working at CJ, be sure to warn them. CJ WILL take advantage of the HS and College students as they are unlikely to complain. They are getting free labor out of these students. SHAME CATHY JEANS. Cathy Jeans will be hearing from me.
TET1959

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Apr 27, 2009
This is the absolute worst service I have ever received. I used to work in retail as well and you always want the customer to leave happy. Not them. My high school daughter bought a pair of shoes there for prom, only to realize when she got home that they would make her taller than her date. She bought them at the Northridge store in CA. I went back 14 days later, with the receipt, shoes worn once in the house on carpet for 5 minutes. Same as everyone else says - teenagers as "managers". I asked for the district manager. Can't give out that name or number. Gave me a "customer service" number to call. Not an 800 number of course. It is a recording and they'll supposedly call you back. I left my message as urgent since this store is one we never shop in - too far from home. I've never heard of a 10 day, full refund policy. That's crap. I called the number, left my message as urgent since again I never shop in that mall and just wanted to get my money back and go home. The "manager" said it could take a while for them to call back. I went to the food court for a half hour and returned to the store determined to wait till they called. The "manager" informed me that it could take days for them to call back. Wish she would have told me that! It has been 3 days, no call. I don't ever expect one. I will never, ever, shop there again and will tell everyone I know not to and will blog everywhere I can about the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Shady and out right crooks is who they are. I hope I can get rid of these on ebay. A waste of $35. And I do expect shoes that cost $35 to last more than a few wears! I have Payless shoes that cost less than $20 that last much longer than that! As a matter of fact, my daughter bought her prom shoes at Payless and they worked out beautifully.
ComfyFeet

Hershey, PA

#15 May 11, 2009
I bought one pair of Aldo shoes while it was on sale and paid only $30. It was a pair of black leather babydoll mary janes with rubber soles and 3in heel. Although I prefer to wear flat daily, I felt that these shoes were extremely sturdy. Yes glue was visible at the seams and the shoe was a little tight at first, but it turned out to be really comfortable. I got lucky, because the customer service is horrendous and I would not want to deal with them again.
Jen

Rancho Cordova, CA

#16 Jul 6, 2009
Karizona Chandler AZ wrote:
To whom it may concern,
Very little prompts me, positive or negative to hop on the computer and document an incident; but little has irritated me as much as my experience in your store today.
Sixteen days ago I purchased a slouch styled boot from your store at the Chandler Fashion Square Mall location. We have had a warn spell here in Arizona, so I didn't wear them for several days after I bought them. The first 2 times I wore them with pants, so I had a little heavier sock on with them. The third time I wore them I wore a skirt and nylons. Mid-way through the day I could barely walk my, heels were so sore. When I got home I put my hand in the boot and realized there was a 1X1 peg that was coming up through the heel in each boot!!!
I work long hours, so it wasn't until today that I could get back to the mall to exchange them. When I explained to the clerk the problem with the boot, she said they had gotten a memo about the defect and would be happy to replace them with another pair. No problem. Love the boot and she assured me that only a small number of boots had the defect. After bringing out 4 different boxes in my size, it was pretty clear the problem was more wide spread. All were defective to differing degrees. She offered me a store credit. No thank you I said, I almost never even walk in this store, the heel height on almost all of your styles are too high for me. That was all she could do. WHAT!?? Defective boot!!!! You can offer me only another defective boot? And my only option is a piece of paper to spend more money here?
I'd like to speak to the manager was my next request. Come to find out the other woman, who had not made eye contact with me or even acknowledged me while I was in there (keep in mind it's been well over 1/2 hour), was the MANAGER???? And I was informed by Kassi (the salesclerk); that it was Lauren's (the manager's) first day. Well she's off to a fine start!! Complete lack of customer service and she leaves her staff to deal with someone who is becoming a more and more dissatisfied customer.
Fine get me the district manager or someone by phone that I may speak with. No, that was not possible as they do not speak with customers......humm. So after Kassi finished speaking with the manager by phone (she left the room...odd), she came back and informed me that there would be nothing else she could do or anyone could do because it was store policy. I asked again that she make the call and get the district manager on the phone; please let her know that the customer is extremely unhappy at this point and that this is not just a typical return/exchange. Again defective item and I am given the option of another defective item or a piece of paper to shop here again???????
I am in customer service for a living, so I know there are rule and policies that must be followed. I also know when there is an extreme situation that there are always exceptions made to the rules. I was 6 days past the 10 day return policy, fine but the merchandise is DEFECTIVE and apparently your company is aware of it!!!!!!
Neither your clerk Kassi nor the new "stellar" manager you've hired for the store know much about working with people. To let me walk out of the store as irritated as I was; unbelieveable!
My rant is over. I don't feel any better because I have a yellow piece of paper worth $71 that will probably never be spent. As a single mom this is not money I can afford to throw away. I will blog and note wherever I can my experience today. It is the reason so many companies eventually fall. POOR customer service.
One dissatisfied customer,
I ECHO THE ABOVE LETTER. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SHOP ELSEWHERE!!
TOTALLY AGREE!!! Have had my own little piece of yellow paper for nearly 2 years now - HATE this store and hope the economy sucks it under because it is AWFUL!!!!!
Dawn

Ewa Beach, HI

#17 Jul 8, 2009
Annie wrote:
I had purchased two pairs of heels on-line - at the bargain price of $60 a pair - and when they came, one of the pairs was two different sizes. Looking at the return policy on-line, I note that you send them back on your dollar. I emailed customer service, as this was no fault of mine, no reply. Eventually, I find a number for the company in California, call, and the lady I spoke to said it was her fault, as she filled the order, and she (out of her own pocket) would send me the cost of shipping. Yeah right, I paid to send the shoes back for an order they messed up ( those $60 heels turned into $70), and now, after only having them for six months the sole in the toe area is cracked in two. Nice. I love the look of the heels, but I am searching for another company to give my money to.
Do you still have the # for the company in CA? I would like to give them a piece of my mind, too!
Unsatisfied

Atlanta, GA

#18 Jul 27, 2009
one nine four nine two two five zero six zero zero. ask to speak to Jen
none

Riverside, CA

#20 Nov 9, 2009
everyone is right. Cathy Jean shoes is corrupt company. Bud, Chip and all the regionals could careless about the customer and employees. That's why keyholders get paid 8.50 and assistant manager get paid 9.50 or 10. this is hourly. Not only that but as soon as someone from management wants to quit they will offer more money as a means to shut them up.
Shopper

Atlanta, GA

#21 Nov 15, 2009
ok, no one wants to hear from disgruntled ex employees or people that think they dont have to listen to a simple return policy that's written on the receipt. I have shopped at Cathy Jean for years and have always enjoyed the shoes and customer service experience. Everyone has gone out of the way to help me and I have always gotten what I wanted. The shoes are affordable and adorable. Keep in mind all stores have return policies. This is nothing new in the world of retail so get over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Carlos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Belmont Cops Racist 16 hr justice4all 1
Disney Junior Live On Tour! in the Bay and use ... Tue multisportmom 1
Black Seadevil caught on camera at depths of 1,... Nov 24 DILF 2
Daly City Officer Charged With Excessive Force (Aug '06) Nov 24 harry singh 374
Ben smith Nov 22 old friend 1
An idea for keeping the adult school where it is Nov 21 aman jain 1
10000 acres real estate land for sale (May '09) Nov 21 Wally West 2

San Carlos News Video

San Carlos Dating
Find my Match