Bicyclist hit, killed on Highland road

Bicyclist hit, killed on Highland road

There are 72 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Apr 8, 2010, titled Bicyclist hit, killed on Highland road. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

A bicyclist was hit and killed on a Highland road this morning by a car full of teenagers, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
HATE ME IF YOU MUST

San Bernardino, CA

#2 Apr 8, 2010
I'll just go ahead and say this....I'm sorry for this bicyclist, but they have no business being on Greenspot Rd. The road is not right to be shared by vehicles and bicyclists. That road needs to be widened with a dedicated bicycle lane. It was only a matter of time. I hope all the other bicyclists heed warning and find a new place to ride. It makes driving very dangerous for vehicles when they have to oppose the oncoming lane to get around slow moving bicycles. Just my two cents.
foolio

Highland, CA

#3 Apr 8, 2010
Greenspot is dangerous in a car, far worse on a bike! To lose control...the driver was probably screwing around w/his/her friends and going too fast. Now they will live w/the blood of an innocent person on their hands. Everyone loses. God Bless the bicyclist and his family
Opus the Poet

Plano, TX

#4 Apr 8, 2010
HMIYM, I don't hate stupid people. The cyclist was doing nothing wrong when the out of control car hit him. All the fault lies with the driver of the killer vehicle that hit him. A car going just 25 MPH is more deadly than a .45 Cal. bullet, 10% fatal against unarmored targets (pedestrians and cyclists) where the .45 is 9% fatal. As the speed of the vehicle rises, so does the kill ratio, with even the smallest cars becoming nearly 100% fatal to peds and cyclists as the car's speed passes 50 MPH. You are blaming the victim, instead of blaming the driver of the vehicle. In 2008 there were almost 40,000 people killed by motor vehicles in the US, and 2 killed by bicycles. More than 700 of those killed by motor vehicles were riding bicycles, none of the people killed by bicycles was driving or even riding in a car.
HMIYM

San Bernardino, CA

#5 Apr 8, 2010
Opus the Poet wrote:
HMIYM, I don't hate stupid people. The cyclist was doing nothing wrong when the out of control car hit him. All the fault lies with the driver of the killer vehicle that hit him. A car going just 25 MPH is more deadly than a .45 Cal. bullet, 10% fatal against unarmored targets (pedestrians and cyclists) where the .45 is 9% fatal. As the speed of the vehicle rises, so does the kill ratio, with even the smallest cars becoming nearly 100% fatal to peds and cyclists as the car's speed passes 50 MPH. You are blaming the victim, instead of blaming the driver of the vehicle. In 2008 there were almost 40,000 people killed by motor vehicles in the US, and 2 killed by bicycles. More than 700 of those killed by motor vehicles were riding bicycles, none of the people killed by bicycles was driving or even riding in a car.
Those are good stats, I just think that bicyclists need to exercise more common sense when deciding to pedal on Greenspot Rd. They should expect to be killed by a car when they ride in places like this. Thats all I'm saying. I think it is a terrible place to ride a bike, and I hope that 1 life lost serves as a warning to others. I dont want to see this happen again.
ghost

Highland, CA

#6 Apr 8, 2010
Opus the Poet wrote:
No one is blaming the victim in this accident, fool. BUT, we as humans must measure and think about what we do BEFORE we do it. Common sense must prevail and most of the time, people ignore the little voice in their head that says, "Don't do it!" He is the victim in this and I sure hope he did not feel a thing before he died. Read the Gavin De Becker book , The Gift of Fear and you will see what some of us mean. That is a dangerous road because people drive too fast and too careless. Lots of people have died in vehicle vs vehicle accidents. The bicyclist never stood a chance. Your math does not matter, Rainman
Bunny

Yucaipa, CA

#7 Apr 8, 2010
Does anyone know who the cyclist was? Or when that information will be released??
Wow

Palmdale, CA

#8 Apr 8, 2010
What is it with Greenspot Rd? It seems like every time I turn around there is something in the paper about another fatality on that road. I used to take this road to go the back way between Highland, Mentone, and Yucaipa. I think I'll just avoid it from now on. May the bicyclist rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.
BikeRacer

Pasadena, CA

#9 Apr 8, 2010
I think it Jorge Alvarado...a pro cyclist.
Friend and teammate

Placentia, CA

#10 Apr 8, 2010
Jorge was everything people wish they could be. When I hired him to ride for my team bahatifoundation, he was the ONLY rider to say thanks for making my dreams come true.

RIP Jorge

and you fools talking about riding on city street.....ill pray that you learn a little bit about bike law and our rights. He was a very young talented young man.
Keeping it real

San Diego, CA

#11 Apr 8, 2010
Wow wrote:
What is it with Greenspot Rd? It seems like every time I turn around there is something in the paper about another fatality on that road. I used to take this road to go the back way between Highland, Mentone, and Yucaipa. I think I'll just avoid it from now on. May the bicyclist rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.
This road has to be the most dangerous in all the county. The reason is that teenage drivers from Highland use it to get to Redlands East valley HS.A few years ago another teen driver killed a District Attorney. Maybe heavy patrol by law enforcement will deter teen drivers from "Losing control" of their vehicles. Anyway the teenager in this case is fully responsible for the dead bike rider who will never take another breath.
Confused

Redlands, CA

#12 Apr 8, 2010
So why was there a car load of teenage high schoolers out at that time anyway? how did they get off school grounds? Hmmmmmm.
saddened

Redlands, CA

#13 Apr 8, 2010
God Bless the victims family. It was unecessary for that person to die so tragically.... Those kids have to live with that for the rest of their lives.....
You know

San Diego, CA

#14 Apr 8, 2010
Anybody know the name of the driver?
glass house

Lytle Creek, CA

#15 Apr 8, 2010
i dont know anything bout this road, but every day i see cyclists riding down the road in the bike lane that they let everyone knows that belongs to them and is thier entilted spot. meanwhile there is a sidewalk ten feet away. i dont care if the sidewalk is intended for walkers or even if there is any laws about bikes being on the road if a lane is avaiable? but for my money i will be on the sidewalk everytime with my bike and i tell my kids to stay on it too. i will be curtious and move over for walkers and skaters but you will never catch me in a bike lane. why do cyclists do this? i know someone who was run over and killed why riding his bike on the road. stay on the sidewalks whenever one is available. its just not worth the danger to ride in the street
RIP Jorge

Placentia, CA

#16 Apr 8, 2010
Jorge would have been 28 years old on October 30. He was the nicest and humblest guy you could ever meet. He was most proud to be a member of the newly founded Bahati Foundation Professional Cycling Team. Jorge was out in the Redlands area this morning training hard, preparing for his next big race scheduled for this Sunday in Dana Point when unfortunately was a victim of a fatal hit and run accident. He was struck by a car filled with irresponsible teenagers who wouldn't even stop to check the condition of their victim. I hope those kids do the right thing and turn themselves in sooner than later and sure hope their conscious doesn't eat them up alive tonight. If anybody knows or witnessed anything, please contact the local sheriff's department in Redlands. We will miss you deeply Jorge. Your beautiful energy and memories stay with us until it's our time to meet the Big Guy. Until then....We love you and God bless!
Tony

San Gabriel, CA

#17 Apr 8, 2010
To the bastards that killed my best friend. May you and all your friends pay for what you did to him!! He was the most kindess gentle man that I knew. He finally made it with the pro's and dreams that he trained so hard for. He always respected everyone Team Bahati was all he spoke about. And won recently UCLA Road Race and 2nd On sunday ontario. Nuff said!! Now his family and I cry for him..

RIP Jorge like you always told me "que onda gordito"

I will miss you dear friend and all your friends that admired you from San Gabriel. And I will always cheerish Tuesday's Lunch With Omar. So much to say.. God help the family of Jorge back in Mexico.
Joe

AOL

#18 Apr 9, 2010
HATE ME IF YOU MUST wrote:
I'll just go ahead and say this....I'm sorry for this bicyclist, but they have no business being on Greenspot Rd. The road is not right to be shared by vehicles and bicyclists. That road needs to be widened with a dedicated bicycle lane. It was only a matter of time. I hope all the other bicyclists heed warning and find a new place to ride. It makes driving very dangerous for vehicles when they have to oppose the oncoming lane to get around slow moving bicycles. Just my two cents.
That may be true in general. But in this case, if the facts are right, a car traveling west-bound spun out of control and hit a bicyclist traveling east bound on the other side of the road has nothing to do with how safe the road is. It deals more with the way the way the driver was operating the vehicle. Especially if hundreds if not thousands of other drivers drive through the same stretch without completely crossing the road or spinning out each day. It doesn't matter how safe the road is or how fast most drivers are going if one driver completely loses control and crosses over to the other side and hits someone head on.
Joe

AOL

#19 Apr 9, 2010
HMIYM wrote:
<quoted text> Those are good stats, I just think that bicyclists need to exercise more common sense when deciding to pedal on Greenspot Rd. They should expect to be killed by a car when they ride in places like this. Thats all I'm saying. I think it is a terrible place to ride a bike, and I hope that 1 life lost serves as a warning to others. I dont want to see this happen again.
It wasn't because the bicyclist wasn't using common sense. It could have been just as fatal if those teenagers spun out and hit a motorcycle coming down the road or even if they had crossed the road and hit a family in a van head on. If it had been a family in a small Toyota they killed would you say it was their fault for driving a small car on that road. The kids in the car spun out and hit them. This wasn't due to the fault of the road being narrow and they sideswiped a bike as they passed it. They lost control and hit him. They could have lost control and hit anyone, whether it be on a bike, motorcycle or car. In fact it may have even been more deadly if it had been a car coming down the road at 45 miles an hour and hit head on instead of just a bike.
such a tragedy

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#20 Apr 9, 2010
I would always hear how happy and grateful Jorge was for finally having his biggest dream come true that he worked so hard for and how happy he was with his life. He finally made it as a pro. May God help Jorge's brother and his family get through this devistating, difficult time. and may God bless Jorge and open the gates to heaven to him. for the brief time i met him, he was the most modest, hard-working, and determined cyclist. his dreams were finally coming true, and the support he had from his brother was remarkable. it is such a tragedy to see such a sincerely, modest and well-deserving person's life cut short. and those idiots who caused this, well, i am sure God will do them justice. no body's clueless "two cents" is needed in something that was completely the stupid teenage driver's fault who lost control and killed an innocent man. learn the rights a cyclist has and stop being such an ignorant asshole.

RIP Jorge
my deepest condolences and prayers for Jorge's family in Mexico, and especially his brother. Rest in Peace Jorge Alvarado, I am sure you had a wonderful, bright future ahead of you, i hope you are in a better place.
sad

Running Springs, CA

#21 Apr 9, 2010
It is a tragedy that this man was killed, but don't be so quick to rush out and put blame on anybody if you dont know the exact circumstances. Accidents happen all the time, these students are surely traumatized and it said drugs and alcohol were not involved. Why should you wish the wrath of god on people who are possibly also victims of this terrible accident? To the guy who said it was a hit and run, it was not a hit and run and the police know exactly who the driver was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Bernardino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Trojan 35,922
Quailridge Apartments at 210 N. Beechwood Ave. ... Fri MARIBEL AND ANTHONY 10
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen at 895 N. Mt. Vernon ... May 14 SAN BERNARDINO PO... 17
Chevron Gas Station at 895 N. Mt. Vernon Ave. S... May 14 SAN BERNARDINO CH... 15
SB Downtown Metrolink Parking at 320 S. G St. S... May 14 SB METROLINK DOWN... 40
San Bernardino Ranch HOA at 3579 N. Little Moun... May 13 SAN BERNARDINO RA... 20
San Bernardino Ranch Village Community at Miram... May 13 SAN BERNARDINO RA... 40

San Bernardino Jobs

Personal Finance

San Bernardino Mortgages