SAPD looking to fill jobs

Feb 7, 2009 | Posted by: outnleftfield | Full story: www.mysanantonio.com

In these tough economic times, when just about every industry is getting hammered with layoffs, many folks look to government careers for job security.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
THE CHAD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2009

Judged:

I sure wish the City of San Antonio Police Department would combine Airport and Park Police into our Agency. SAPD would be honored to have these fine outstanding Professional Police Officers join our ranks. This would save the TAXPAYERS MONEY. Instead of the City having to carry separate payrolls and insurance for three departments, they would only have to carry one. SAPD NEEDS HELP, WE NEED OFFICERS, SO what is keeping us from doing what EVERY other CITY in Texas has done, and combine forces to fill the empty spaces in our ranks. I fully support SAPD taking in Airport Police, Park Police, Code Compliance, and City Marshals!
Tom Tucker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

I agree with you Chad 100%, this is a necessary thing to do. If SAPD can not find enough qualified people to fill their vacancies, and there are qualified people already doing the same jobs in another department, then they should just go ahead and combine everyone.
Chad

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

You think they would just supplement the ranks with the extra officers needed to handle the call load? ok...who would do the job they are doing now? Vacate the parks and airport? This is not a fix.
Bob

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Adding a few officers and then adding the tasks that the Park Police and Airport Police does to the SAPD will not make things better. They have different jobs and roles. A gun on the hip does not mean they are the same. Adding them to SAPD means more training, more pay, more benefits and more responsibility for SAPD. That means they will continue to do what they have been but get paid more. How will that decrease call load or officer response?
Unless you want ALL SAPD trained in handling what they do which measn even more money spent. Whats the problem here? Needing more officers right? Just hire more officers. Leave these specialty areas alone. Its cheaper.
THE CHAD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Bob wrote:
Adding a few officers and then adding the tasks that the Park Police and Airport Police does to the SAPD will not make things better. They have different jobs and roles. A gun on the hip does not mean they are the same. Adding them to SAPD means more training, more pay, more benefits and more responsibility for SAPD. That means they will continue to do what they have been but get paid more. How will that decrease call load or officer response?
Unless you want ALL SAPD trained in handling what they do which measn even more money spent. Whats the problem here? Needing more officers right? Just hire more officers. Leave these specialty areas alone. Its cheaper.
You know how that goes, cheaper is not always better. If there is a problem, fix it now. If these Park and Airport Police Officers are not getting the "training, more pay, more benefits and more responsibility", then maybe there is the problem. They are capable of handling more than you think, they are Certified Texas Peace Officers who have the EXACT same powers as SAPD. The only thing that holds them back is POLICIES DESIGNED TO DO SO. The Policies do this so the City does not have to provide "training, more pay, more benefits and more responsibility". It is there way of dividing or discriminating, whatever you want to call it.

People, we have to get past this idea that ONE agency is the ultimate power in the universe. I know for a fact that MANY of the Park Police Officers are FORMER SAPD OFFICERS, and they all receive training through SAPD ACADEMY NOW!! Many Park Police Officers handle and provide backup for SAPD Officers now. They are DISPATCHED by SAPD, and have a former Chief of Police who was SAPD. Their new chief can't get any more SAPD than he already is. So what's the problem here???

Change the policy, save the TAXPAYERS MONEY PLEASE. Prolonging the problem only will cost more down the road.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

THE CHAD wrote:
<quoted text>
You know how that goes, cheaper is not always better. If there is a problem, fix it now. If these Park and Airport Police Officers are not getting the "training, more pay, more benefits and more responsibility", then maybe there is the problem. They are capable of handling more than you think, they are Certified Texas Peace Officers who have the EXACT same powers as SAPD. The only thing that holds them back is POLICIES DESIGNED TO DO SO. The Policies do this so the City does not have to provide "training, more pay, more benefits and more responsibility". It is there way of dividing or discriminating, whatever you want to call it.
People, we have to get past this idea that ONE agency is the ultimate power in the universe. I know for a fact that MANY of the Park Police Officers are FORMER SAPD OFFICERS, and they all receive training through SAPD ACADEMY NOW!! Many Park Police Officers handle and provide backup for SAPD Officers now. They are DISPATCHED by SAPD, and have a former Chief of Police who was SAPD. Their new chief can't get any more SAPD than he already is. So what's the problem here???
Change the policy, save the TAXPAYERS MONEY PLEASE. Prolonging the problem only will cost more down the road.
you might lose the checks and balances, jurisdiction issues would arise and then there is the weight limit, not all agencies work overweight officers, which imo is a form of discrimination although there are occasions to discriminate, for obvious reasons.
we have ruined the "system ourselves with lobbyist and bureaucracies.
on the jurisdiction thing, by that i mean this a trooper can seize and search without a warrant , sapd can't, a texas ranger or game warden may enter w/o warrant deputies can't so on... i'm not in anyway certain of the limits or restrictions on these matters but do know they exist and for a good reason i'm guessing! Like when an illegal is spotted by certain agencies, they can't apprehend or impede them..
Texas Ranger Chuck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

outnleftfield wrote:
<quoted text>
you might lose the checks and balances, jurisdiction issues would arise and then there is the weight limit, not all agencies work overweight officers, which imo is a form of discrimination although there are occasions to discriminate, for obvious reasons.
we have ruined the "system ourselves with lobbyist and bureaucracies.
on the jurisdiction thing, by that i mean this a trooper can seize and search without a warrant , sapd can't, a texas ranger or game warden may enter w/o warrant deputies can't so on... i'm not in anyway certain of the limits or restrictions on these matters but do know they exist and for a good reason i'm guessing! Like when an illegal is spotted by certain agencies, they can't apprehend or impede them..
HOLD ON ONE SECOND, I HOPE NONE OF MY TEXAS BOYS ARE DOING WARRANTLESS SEARCHES UNLESS THEY ARE GIVING CONSENT. THEN IN THAT CASE ANYONE CAN SEARCH UPON THE CONSENT OF SERACH IN THE GOOD STATE OF TEXAS. IF THIS IS IN FACT GOING ON, BE SURE THE TEXAS RANGERS WILL CRANK DOWN ON ANY AGENCIES YOU MENTIONED FOR VIOLATING CIVIL RIGHTS.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Texas Ranger Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
HOLD ON ONE SECOND, I HOPE NONE OF MY TEXAS BOYS ARE DOING WARRANTLESS SEARCHES UNLESS THEY ARE GIVING CONSENT. THEN IN THAT CASE ANYONE CAN SEARCH UPON THE CONSENT OF SERACH IN THE GOOD STATE OF TEXAS. IF THIS IS IN FACT GOING ON, BE SURE THE TEXAS RANGERS WILL CRANK DOWN ON ANY AGENCIES YOU MENTIONED FOR VIOLATING CIVIL RIGHTS.
can't say if they are aren't i admit i don't know where the lines are drawn but would guess it's all in the benefit risk and uniform, for me it would be , the rangers and troopers are the best dressed!
i was hoping for some input on this so that the fellas could actually debate the issue rather than just agreeing or not i don't know so i won't get in on that aspect of it but i'm curious so i will know next time!
since we've not met before ill share my secret i rarely leave my own property, dr. appts and emergencies only don't see much from my porch only what the news reports.your input and theirs may contain more pertinent data than ive received thus far.
for me it's a matter of safety my 22 yr old daughter, uses via or walks to work in dwntwn SA she lives alone but requires more stimuli than her mom and won't move home, i want her and the others like her safer.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

oh and im in atascosa co not OK
peter

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Outnleftfield, If your daughter uses via, she is being protected by someone other than SAPD. Via has their own Transit Police Department. If she walks downtown, it is either Bike Patrol SAPD or Park Police that protect her there.
Searches and seizures depend greatly on the Department and what they specialize in. TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) Agents routinely search bars in Texas, Via Police Do not. This does not mean they could not, they just leave that job to TABC. A Texas Peace Officer can in fact do a bar inspection anywhere in the State of Texas.
As far about how they look in their uniforms, well that changes from agency to agency. You can not judge a book by it's cover, same with Police Agencies. They may have an ugly uniform, but it is their Peace Officer powers of Arrest, Search, and Seizure that set them apart.
The River walk, without doubt is the most visited tourist attraction in San Antonio. Who do you think keeps all those tourist safe when they are visiting our city and spending their $$$$$$ which our economy needs? It is not SAPD, but it is San Antonio Park Police Officers.

Hope this helps, and you live in a beautiful part of the Country!

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

peter wrote:
Outnleftfield, If your daughter uses via, she is being protected by someone other than SAPD. Via has their own Transit Police Department. If she walks downtown, it is either Bike Patrol SAPD or Park Police that protect her there.
Searches and seizures depend greatly on the Department and what they specialize in. TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) Agents routinely search bars in Texas, Via Police Do not. This does not mean they could not, they just leave that job to TABC. A Texas Peace Officer can in fact do a bar inspection anywhere in the State of Texas.
As far about how they look in their uniforms, well that changes from agency to agency. You can not judge a book by it's cover, same with Police Agencies. They may have an ugly uniform, but it is their Peace Officer powers of Arrest, Search, and Seizure that set them apart.
The River walk, without doubt is the most visited tourist attraction in San Antonio. Who do you think keeps all those tourist safe when they are visiting our city and spending their $$$$$$ which our economy needs? It is not SAPD, but it is San Antonio Park Police Officers.
Hope this helps, and you live in a beautiful part of the Country!
i was sorta' kidding about the uniforms, not the rest. she claims she is secure, i still worry! thanks tho you did clarify some of it for me!
The CHAD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

At SAPD, we can not recruit enough people to fill our vacancies. Something needs to be done, since there is a nation wide shortage of Police Officers. Attendance is down in the Law Enforcement training Centers around Texas, probably because you can make more money working at McDonalds and you don't have to risk your life. The City Manager of San Antonio needs to combine forces to save money, no matter who's UNION FEELINGS GET HURT.
Pewterschmidt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

I don't see why they could not, other than foolish pride and ego. It would be a simple merging, since the jobs requirements are very similar. This stinks of Union influence, reminds me of the teamsters in Upstate.
candoshoe

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

who wants to work in that mekskun infested town?
hotguy

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

yep
minuteman

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

no kidding
wambalaa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

Yep, smells like a big pile of EGO to me! Too proud to admit when they are wrong. Too embrassed to make the change. Just my 2 cents.
bluepdinsa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

Judged:

I heard at a meeting yesterday that due to the shortages, we will be taking everyone we can into SAPD. The SAPPOA will not be happy, but they are not helping us hire anyone either.

This nationwide shortage of Police Officers has taken it's toll on SAPD. They are tired of the shortages, and consistant turn over, so they are going to make a lateral program similar to Austin PD. As it was said to me, "Let's face the music, we need help. We need to open our doors and let them in".
Tyler Durdin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

Judged:

They need to hurry up and do it. It is only costing us more money, the more time we waste..
oldblueeyes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

Judged:

I heard the same thing tyler.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the San Antonio Forum right now

Search the San Antonio Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Government threatens Doctors revealing Diseased... 18 min John Amery 1
Why are Mexicans so lazy (Apr '13) 26 min X-ray 198
Stay Away from Laredo, the Valley and the Refug... 29 min Ragnar The Impaler 21
Noegroidal feeding time at the Zoo. 31 min John Amery 1
Four-Year-Old Crosses Border -- Alone 36 min X-ray 4
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 54 min rainwater 16,793
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Defiant1 21,091
•••
•••
•••
•••

San Antonio Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

San Antonio People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••