Life on oil rig hard but lucrative

Life on oil rig hard but lucrative

There are 200 comments on the Desert Sun story from Apr 15, 2012, titled Life on oil rig hard but lucrative. In it, Desert Sun reports that:

CARRIZO SPRINGS, Texas - A few years ago, Frankie Gonzalez was working marginal jobs and running with the wrong crowd in his small South Texas hometown of San Diego.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Desert Sun.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
rigs open 24 hours

United States

#4 Apr 26, 2012
The job is not degrading. It is what this co workers of mine do at the rigs and out side the rigs. They do it at plain sight.
Haha

Houston, TX

#5 Apr 26, 2012
If you could see what these guys do out there you'd could see why life on a oil rig is hard..... I don't work on a oil field rig, but thanks to my job I'm capable of going out there and seeing what these guys do for America, and I appreciate the hard work, keep it up boys......
Uneducated

San Antonio, TX

#6 Apr 27, 2012
I guess if you are a loser and chose not to go to college and that's the only option you have left, go for it! jajaja Personally, I have more self respect!
People with low IQ's have to use their hands, rather than their brains to make a living! jaja
Educated

Dallas, TX

#8 Apr 27, 2012
Uneducated wrote:
I guess if you are a loser and chose not to go to college and that's the only option you have left, go for it! jajaja Personally, I have more self respect!
People with low IQ's have to use their hands, rather than their brains to make a living! jaja
I am well educated and have a great job, but I appreciate what these hard working people are doing for our country, while others are in good health and are just living in welfare collecting food stamps, being lazy, and always depending on someone else.... Not everyone is fortunate to have college paid for or maybe some didnt have parents that could afford to send their kids to college....nevertheless those thats work and make an honest living ARE NOT LOOSERS...ON THE OTHER HAND YOU ARE THE LOOSER AS YOU SOUND LIKE A MAMA'S BOY...I GUESS YOU WERE SPOON FED TILL YOU WERE 10 OR SO. I will tell you the harder you work the more you can value life and put a price on things...but if everything was given to you without sweating a drop youre the looser and have no respect for yourself and others GROW UP AND BE WHATEVER GOD MADE YOU TO BE!!!!!
Winner

San Antonio, TX

#9 Apr 27, 2012
When the world runs out of oil, 18th century technology will be what we'll all have to learn to use. Some may think it stupid to perform manual labor. I think it will pay long term dividends. I'm a professional in the medical field, but I don't shy away from hard work. In fact, I actively seek it out.
Mr chingerson

United States

#10 Apr 28, 2012
You guys forgot that the money from the oilfields comes from the chinese
So Funny

San Antonio, TX

#11 Apr 28, 2012
I love how everyone on topix claims to be soooooo educated!! Totally cracks me up!!! LMFAO
Master degree my asssssssss!!!!! jajajajaj
young gun

Euless, TX

#12 Apr 28, 2012
Pete wrote:
Who cares about the money... It's a degrading job! I wouldn't do it!
Many of these guys make more than ppl with degrees they start at pretty close at 80000 a yr
haha

United States

#13 Apr 28, 2012
Uneducated wrote:
If you only knew how much money those guys make you'd probably ditch your degree and get out there! I work in the oil field as a safety consultant. I have an associates degree in computer science computer networking systems technology. I work two weeks on and have a whole week off and make 14,000 dollars a month. A degree? Forget it buddy, I get a vacation every month and so do those guys on the rigs. You should ditch your degree and get some of this really good money out here.
bad luck

Geronimo, TX

#14 Apr 28, 2012
Hopefully it won't last. I want you to be working McDonald's before its all over with, saying " yassir massa!" For minimum wage!
bitter

Geronimo, TX

#15 Apr 28, 2012
I agree. Hopefully Obama shuts it down. We need to buy foreign oil to help the poor countries get on their feet. I think our government should be bringing people from other countries to work in the oil fields. They need the money more than greedy American. American got to much as it is. That why everybody hates you. You don't give enough to the ones that don't work!
Winner

San Antonio, TX

#16 Apr 28, 2012
I've heard projections ranging anywhere from 10 years to 70 years. My gut tells me 15 to 20 years. That's a nice run. I hope people make the most of it.
whitegirl

Arlington, VA

#17 Apr 28, 2012
i wanna work in the oil field where the application
haha

United States

#18 Apr 28, 2012
bad luck wrote:
Hopefully it won't last. I want you to be working McDonald's before its all over with, saying " yassir massa!" For minimum wage!
Why are you so bitter? When the oil boom in South Texas is over and done with there will be another one popping up in another state or country! With all the experience gained in the oil industry you will always have a career anywhere the oil boom is. And with the kind of money you earn in the oil field you can just take a flight back home whenever you're on days off! Sorry that you are so bitter because you're stuck paying back student loans on a 50,000 dollar a year job. I could never go back to that kind of money. Thats why I am very good at what I do out here. They pay me very well for keeping people safe and alive. "yassir massa!" haha! That is so funny I gotta give you that!
fiesta

San Antonio, TX

#19 Apr 28, 2012
You won't see too many people from SA working on them, that would require initiative and not being a lazy drunk.
lost a few

Portland, TX

#20 Apr 28, 2012
Has anyone mentioned how many people die working those jobs? I lost three friends already. Two on a blow out and one in transportation. So the risks are high. Life is worth more than all the money they got. On the blowout the families each received close to 5. 5 million dollars. I don't think life is worth that much but much more. You can't put a price on life period. Not even all the money in the world.
no habla english

United States

#22 Apr 28, 2012
They have to bring people from other states cause the Mexicans don't know how to do anything unless you hold their hand. They are scared to make even the smallest decision for fear they might get blamed when something goes wrong. Mexicans can't handle responsibility.
remember when

San Antonio, TX

#24 Apr 28, 2012
i dont mind all the people here i just mind the azzholes who are racist trying to make carrizo "all white" i dont think so. everyone bisshing about long lines everywhere and nothing to do in this town well i say if you dont like it get the hell out of here! for all the riggers who want to know where all the chicks and parties are at: go to eagle pass im sure your gonna LOVE IT there! heck dont be surprised if some of you dont ever come back!!! ha!
kfhfh

Bellevue, WA

#25 Apr 28, 2012
ke no se te olvide ke tu papa asi le iso pa darte tu education usando sus manos para trabajar i tu mama tambien las uso pero para mamar verga para ser un poko de mas dinero jajajajaj

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#26 Apr 28, 2012
Uneducated wrote:
Do educated people degrade other people's jobs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Antonio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beaner Pedo 1 hr White Psycho 9
Cleaning Up Ham Radio in San Antonio (Aug '10) 5 hr Bob 5,355
God Created Wo/Men To Be One 7 hr Cpt America 5
ISO Mechanic or car shop 14 hr Jeep owner 1
Avant talent agency 23 hr Curious 1
Feathers Ruffled Thu Cool hand Luke 3
new in town Thu Johnny AKA Drian 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Antonio Mortgages