Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

It never ceases to amaze me the way that the top 1% continually discipline the poor under the guise of helping them. It seems that mayor Bloomberg, "has asked the Department of Agriculture (USDA) for permission to add sodas and other sugary soft drinks to the list of items that cannot be purchased with food stamps." Apparently, this is in the interest of public health and to fight childhood obesity. Yes, it's the soda that is making people fat and ruining them for life. Bloomberg knows that he cannot ban pop, nor can he stop people with means from purchasing it, but he can deprive the poor because empty calories are bad bad bad.

The mayor's latest campaign to reduce soda consumption wants to be seen as part of a comprehensive anti-obesity program the city is currently conducting. The excessive use of sodas is considered a significant culprit in the ever-growing obesity epidemic that affects many parts of the population, but especially the poor and the young. As reported by The New York Times (October 7, 2010), recently released statistics have shown "that nearly 40 percent of public school children…[living in New York City] were overweight or obese, and that obesity rates were substantially higher in poor neighborhoods.

This is of course is fat phobia and classism in action. Caring about the nutrients that the poor are consuming should not involve deprivation of so called negative choices; it should involve increasing access to whole foods. How many poor live in food deserts, where a tomato is about as likely as a UFO? Even when they are able to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables, their prices are exorbitant -- yet the enemy is soda.

When we consume food or a beverage, we do so because of a need based in survival, but also out of a desire for an experience - pleasure. Why should poverty exclude people from a common everyday experience? While he is eliminating the purchase of soda, will Bloomberg also reduce the cost of things like orange juice to make it more affordable? Why is it unreasonable to assume that given adequate ability to choose, that people will not balance health with items that one would consider a treat? Oh yeah, I forgot that the by virtue of poverty, people lose the ability to think for themselves.

Childhood obesity have become trigger words. It is the epidemic that is going to destroy North America, but where are the subsidized programs for sporting events? Where are the daily gym classes to encourage children to move? It seems to me that if obesity where such an issue, these programs would be high on list. These initiatives are not about improving the health of children, they are about stigmatizing and disciplining the poor. We shame people that are fat without recognizing the conditions that lead to obesity. A health initiative means access and the maintenance of hierarchy is certainly not about empowering choice and agency.
Ralph

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

thats ok i drink beer anyway.
sam

Flatgap, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Since when did anybody need a gym to walk and get exercise. Walking ain't crowded. If they'd get their lazy asses out and walk just one mile a day that would help a lot. And hell yeah the pop and alot of other shit needs to be cut out for the food stampers.. When I was growing up pop was a treat, now a days kids drink it like it's the last can they'll ever get. If it's not a necessity for life then it should not be allowed to be purchased with food stamps. If you want extras GET A DAMN JOB!!!! Has anybody ever heard of the word JOB? Well get one if you want to buy pop...
Southern Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

I get my excerse going to and from the ice box for beer and then getting up and down to throw the empties out the window.
r u serious

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

some people kill me. putting down welfare, putting down food stamps. but if you live in kentucky then odds are you have probably been on welfare some time in your life. yes their are a lot of folks out their that take advantage of the program. so why don't we keep voting the republicans in office in washington so they will kill the welfare programs. oh yeah, and the s.s.i. programs and the sosial security dissability programs also. yes lets do this, i'm sure that most of us here in kentucky where born with a silver spoon up our a$$ anyway. ky always goes republican for elections anyways, right.....
Rednecker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

r u serious wrote:
some people kill me. putting down welfare, putting down food stamps. but if you live in kentucky then odds are you have probably been on welfare some time in your life. yes their are a lot of folks out their that take advantage of the program. so why don't we keep voting the republicans in office in washington so they will kill the welfare programs. oh yeah, and the s.s.i. programs and the sosial security dissability programs also. yes lets do this, i'm sure that most of us here in kentucky where born with a silver spoon up our a$$ anyway. ky always goes republican for elections anyways, right.....
Are you a stump jumper?
why

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

Not many people decide to be poor. Why should the poor children be deprived of having a soft drink every now and then? Now those who buy pop to sell should have their food stamps taken away from them.
Milk man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

I make my own wine.
i believe

Wittensville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

sam wrote:
Since when did anybody need a gym to walk and get exercise. Walking ain't crowded. If they'd get their lazy asses out and walk just one mile a day that would help a lot. And hell yeah the pop and alot of other shit needs to be cut out for the food stampers.. When I was growing up pop was a treat, now a days kids drink it like it's the last can they'll ever get. If it's not a necessity for life then it should not be allowed to be purchased with food stamps. If you want extras GET A DAMN JOB!!!! Has anybody ever heard of the word JOB? Well get one if you want to buy pop...
Personally, I believe the whole food stamp program should be overhauled. Should be more like a WIC voucher...only certain items allowed and in certain sizes...this is supposed to be an assistance program, not a "get an easy life courtesy of the backs of those who are willing to get off their butts and to work for a living" program!
Poor Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

I'm buying 10lb of jombo shrimp today.
Thinking

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

I get me some food stamps today,might go buy me a case of the pepsi and a box of those sweety cakes sounds good to me.What about you wont to come over for a pepsi and a cake.
ooooo00

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

i gonna get me 2 boxes a cakes and 2 kaces apepsi hahaha uwanna bite
ooooo00

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Thinking wrote:
I get me some food stamps today,might go buy me a case of the pepsi and a box of those sweety cakes sounds good to me.What about you wont to come over for a pepsi and a cake.
i gonna go get 2 boxes a cakes and 2 kases a pop 1 pepsi 1 mt du hahaha
hmmm

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Some people can't buy pop and some people do need food stamps to help them out alot right's only right
i believe

Wittensville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

hmmm wrote:
Some people can't buy pop and some people do need food stamps to help them out alot right's only right
Sure....but what percentage of food stamp recipients do you think are simply to lazy to work? I think you should have to do something....pick up litter on the roadside.....I dont care if you have to move a pile of rocks from one side to the other then back all day long....you should have to work for your keep when you are able!
Sharon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

I just buy peanut butter, strawberry jam, bread and milk. I only get 25 bucks in food stamps. Sometimes I get carried away and by beef franks too.
OOOO--K

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

I would rather see people buy their cakes and candy and their dew and pepsi than sell their card and buy whatever the drug of the day is!
John Jr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

I buy food
known

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

I will be the first to admit that I get foodstamps, I have 5 children and yes I do work. There father died two years ago in a car accident. he was hit by a drunk driver on his way to work. I am a single parent now rasing five children and had to sign up. I did not want to or never thought that I would have to. But you ppl talkin trash about ppl who draw them isnt right b/c I for one do work & believe me I work hard and I am no way close to being lazy. You never no when you need assistance one day you may be in the same situation. You shouldnt talk trash b/c some abdoned them but not all. & as for the pop deal in my opinion the kids are obese b/c of the parents "what they feed there children." its not no ones fault but the parents and cutting out pop isnt going to change nothing theres more fattening foods than just pop. if you dont want children obese feed them healthier and if pop is taken it should be taken out of schools also & the candy. they are going to get it one way or another so wy take it from one group of children & not another.
i believe

Wittensville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

known wrote:
I will be the first to admit that I get foodstamps, I have 5 children and yes I do work. There father died two years ago in a car accident. he was hit by a drunk driver on his way to work. I am a single parent now rasing five children and had to sign up. I did not want to or never thought that I would have to. But you ppl talkin trash about ppl who draw them isnt right b/c I for one do work & believe me I work hard and I am no way close to being lazy. You never no when you need assistance one day you may be in the same situation. You shouldnt talk trash b/c some abdoned them but not all. & as for the pop deal in my opinion the kids are obese b/c of the parents "what they feed there children." its not no ones fault but the parents and cutting out pop isnt going to change nothing theres more fattening foods than just pop. if you dont want children obese feed them healthier and if pop is taken it should be taken out of schools also & the candy. they are going to get it one way or another so wy take it from one group of children & not another.
You are the exception....you are the person who deserves to have assistance....but what gets me about the whole program is people like you....you get penalized because you do work....because you earn some money, you get fewer benefits that if you were willing just to lay around all day and do nothing. I think the program should be designed to match your earnings up to a point instead of rewarding those who do not want to work at all! I applaude you for the effort you are making to take care of your children and by no means were any of the comments made here directed toward people like you who are trying to help themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Salyersville Forum right now

Search the Salyersville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 42 min DITCH MITCH 147,081
anybody know a james bailey 1 hr yes 2
talbert marshall (Jan '14) 1 hr Finally 84
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr justice_- 129,005
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr yxv 1,020
And the Winner Issssss Doc Hardin 3 hr its a shame 68
Sabrina Gipson "Beanie" 4 hr Too 19
Renee Shepherd Tue We all know 38
How did that Connelley boy die? Tue Yes stupid 7
•••
•••
•••
•••