Unsolved Murders in Magoffin County!

Posted in the Salyersville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Just Wondering

Paintsville, KY

#1 Sep 13, 2009
Are there any unsolved murders in Magoffin County?
I know of one

Sandy Hook, KY

#2 Sep 14, 2009
Just Wondering wrote:
Are there any unsolved murders in Magoffin County?
I know of one. It happened around the 1940's on 460 on the bear branch hill, just above the road that turns up to grape creek.
Sad

Staffordsville, KY

#3 Sep 14, 2009
Jonny Rice
Greg Back
XYZ

Salyersville, KY

#4 Sep 14, 2009
Whatever happened to the Williams man that was missing?
Newby Whitt went to prison for the bear branch hill killing.
A story to tell

Campton, KY

#5 Sep 14, 2009
XYZ wrote:
Whatever happened to the Williams man that was missing?
Newby Whitt went to prison for the bear branch hill killing.
Thanks for the information. I never knew they had charged anyone. That happened before I was born. I had heard my family talk about it. Wasn't this Whitt man a neighbor, did he live across the road on top of the hill? I am not sure, I am trying to remember the story. He robbed them didn't he?
1081fan

United States

#6 Sep 16, 2009
I don't believe this county has any unsolved cases. From what KSP and the media states Greg Back has been identified 100%. Charges haven't been mentioned, but in time I'm sure something will be brought out of it. Like a previous poster mentioned the Bear Branch murder was solved years ago and the convicted did time. Jonny Rice was self defense from what I have always heard, well what it got ruled. There's some missing people out there that havent been found though.
Outside looking in

Salyersville, KY

#7 Sep 16, 2009
What about Jody Baldwin who worked for Salyersville National Bank? I don't remember if that one was ever solved....
Trailor Fire

Paintsville, KY

#8 Sep 24, 2009
Does anyone remember the trailor fire up on upper flynt branch back in 1982. Three people lost their lives in that fire. Does anyone know what happened that night?
Anonymous

Salyersville, KY

#9 Sep 27, 2009
If you go to this site:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry....
You can read about all sorts of old murders, possibly even a serial killer in Johnson County as there were several bodies found dumped on the River Bank.
Anon

Staffordsville, KY

#10 Sep 27, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
If you go to this site:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry....
You can read about all sorts of old murders, possibly even a serial killer in Johnson County as there were several bodies found dumped on the River Bank.
That's a really interesting site. Does anyone know of any more that Magoffin County might be in?
Anon

Staffordsville, KY

#11 Sep 27, 2009
Outside looking in wrote:
What about Jody Baldwin who worked for Salyersville National Bank? I don't remember if that one was ever solved....
Didn't they find Jody's Husband, also murdered, when they found her?
omg i know

Morehead, KY

#12 Sep 27, 2009
Trailor Fire wrote:
Does anyone remember the trailor fire up on upper flynt branch back in 1982. Three people lost their lives in that fire. Does anyone know what happened that night?
just wondering who the people was that got burned up
Mystery

Salyersville, KY

#14 Oct 8, 2009
I know of one wrote:
<quoted text>I know of one. It happened around the 1940's on 460 on the bear branch hill, just above the road that turns up to grape creek.
Sounds interesting what happened?
oh yea

Salyersville, KY

#15 Oct 13, 2009
A woman named clora ( Minix ) Murrell was murdered in 1947 i believe it was in carver. she was the widow of Bradley Murrell. there was three suspects roy watson or watkin a Henry howard and a lady named suzy..
Friend

Staffordsville, KY

#16 Oct 14, 2009
I never heard anything mentioned after Jason Thompson was killed.I guess if your poor your not important.Some say he was robbed and burnt in his own house.I never heard anymore from it.It has been a few years now.
Just Wondering

Pikeville, KY

#17 Oct 15, 2009
Which Jason Thompson was killed and when did that happen.
Only one

White Pine, TN

#18 Oct 16, 2009
Anyone remember the Licking River Baptist preacher who was shot and his body burned in his car on Booger Hill back in the 70's. There was never even a suspect in that one. There are many unsolved murders in Magoffin County that we know of, how many do you suppose aren't known as "murders". And, Greg Back's murder is definitely unsolved and will remain so until the killer is brought to justice.
thinking

United States

#19 Oct 17, 2009
what about betcher combs. i heard they opened up his case again
middle

Salyersville, KY

#20 Jan 17, 2010
i dont think they try hard enough to solve it.
Trace

Brunswick, OH

#21 Jan 17, 2010
Wasn't there a lady killed down on Trace many many years ago and nothing was ever done about it. Didn't she run a joint of some kind down there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salyersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Mike thunkit 138,077
Haunted?!?!?! 46 min Freaky 4
Dalton combs 4 hr Sam 3
trashy Sabrina Baliey 9 hr Sad but true facts 8
arcadia 14 hr Maybe 20
Magoffin Reported Election Corruption Makes Fox... 15 hr mikey36 179
iga deli manager 15 hr whazit2ya 3
More from around the web

Salyersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]