Comments
1 - 20 of 78 Comments Last updated Jul 5, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jane Doe

Flatgap, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 1, 2009
 
U.S. Law says: The National Labor Relations Act states your rights at work: Employees shall have a right to self organization, to form , join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representation of their own choosing and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining.
Supervisors(employees who can hire, fire and discipline) and a few other kinds of employees aren't eligible to form unions under these same laws.
i wish

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 2, 2009
 
i wish they would go union but i can't see them doing it.
small town raised

Ironton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 2, 2009
 
if they go union they will no longer run on the good ole boy system we are all used to. For anyone who has gotten a job anywhere just by knowing someone who works there. Say goodbye to that if they go union and everyone in Salyersville can say goodbye to good jobs because going union they don't care about their workers..they can always hire someone else... you're easily replaced. This is close to home. If there's no work for union they will send you home until they get more work...who cares how you can pay your bills, no matter how long you have been loyal to their company. They are good to their employees, and very understanding if someone needs to take off work for most any reason... thats the problem, too many people want to get away from the small town living but thats the only way to keep Salyersville afloat.
usw steelworker

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 2, 2009
 
I am a usw steelworker i had never been apart of a union until i got my current job and i have come to know that without my unoion things would be different,like pay scale, benefits (they would'nt even have to give you any)pension,(heck with that to).With our union i have a vioce ,if I not treated fairly I can do something about it. Senority, it means alot when they are gonna send someone home that day or a chance to get a promotion, it means a lot. As for the good ole boy system,I think you should get a job because you are qualified not for whose ass was kissed.I really don't want to offend anyone by that or a better way to say it is for who you or you family knows or who you are politicaly connected to. How many good qualified workers wasn't able to get a job because of the good ole boy system.I am union strong and proud of it been through one stirke and will do it again if it is needed .I proud to know that my benefits ,pension and raises is what i got because i stood up for them and if it was up to ARH they would take them . I'll be nice and not say to much about the ones that crossed our line they know who they are they know what they are and I hope they like their benefits that people like myself and other got for them and if they don't realize it the company could care less that they stayed in.I say heck yeah ,go union!

Since: Feb 09

Ironton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 2, 2009
 
being union is an easy choice if money is a huge priority in your life. i'm not against being union. I have an aunt who is president of a union out west. but let CC be how it has been for years. I agree with the whole if your more qualified thing, but in salyersville there aren't a whole lot of people who are qualified for a lot of things. CC has many people working for them who doesn't have a hs diploma. who else would hire them? No where and get paid what they get paid which is great for Salyersville. I have B.A. and I hate the good ole boys system sometimes, but its the only way I have a job now. If ya don't know someone ya don't h ave a job. CC has many families whose whole families pretty much work there. They make good money for that area.
Again I have no problem with being union, but for a company that has done soo much for a small town they should be thankful more than complaining they aren't getting enough. IF they are more qualified for a higher paying job by all means go find it and leave people who need that job with it.
usw steelworker

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 2, 2009
 
It's just not about not getting enough.It's about other things pride ,benefits and your pension and your right to be able to speak up at your workplace when you are not being done fairly and your senority. Your are right not everyone has a education and not to sound hard and crude that's their fault I guess people just settle and say hey this is good enough.It will all depend on where an individual is willing to settle. You do make a good point , but how pissed would you be if you were working for x amount of years and this new person came in worked for three months and just because he/she knows the right people he/she got the promotion you wanted and maybe deserved. And did anyone that was wondering think to check into see what the wages of a unionized workplace like CC would be the internet is a great source of info.
usw steelworker

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 2, 2009
 
Also, money is a huge priority ,we all need it and it dosen't seem to go all that far today and getting worse ,, it is a huge priority.I like the home i live in and the car i drive and i have to pay for those and they require insurance and and i have to feed my family my husband and i work for what we have and don't take handouts (welfare)and oneday I will retire,not because i'm looking forward to the social security that i'm paying in for won't never see because i have a pension and i am saving for that , Yeah , it's Huge.

Since: Feb 09

Ironton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 2, 2009
 
you're right. I have been talking to my husband more about the union and he has explained a lot to me. I dunno. i'm just worried something will happen and take away CC from Salyersville and it will be a ghost town or something. it all they really have there. And it's not always their faults that they don't have diploma's. Most older men who work at CC didn't have a choice on school or not. it was work the farms..thats it. i'm just worried.
usw steelworker

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 2, 2009
 
The Union is not something to fear it can be helpful to a community and the community should back it because if they get better wages don't you think salyersville will benefit from it . Yeah, there are the older gentlemen who didn't have a choice on education and they had to do what they had to at that time and it is great that they are working close to home or even to have a job. But, to take nothing away from these men time have changed and we have to change with it or we will be left behind wondering how to catch up
owl

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 2, 2009
 
My Dad was a union carpenter his whole adult life, until he retired. He is now living a pretty well to do lifestyle. My parents are able to help myself, my siblings, and our children with small emergencies. I'm not saying we are all sponging from them, because we all work. Some are going to college, some are working poor. The reason we are lower middle class is because when it came time for us to jump on the union bandwagon, it was a dwindled opportunity. My oldest son attempted to get a job at CC a few years ago, but it was useless, since we had no family working there. So, if it wasn't run in the good old boy fashion, maybe, others in our community who are even more qualified to work there would have that chance. I say they should go with the union. A little competition would have these high school diploma boys and girls getting a post secondary education.
Bored2TearsHere

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 3, 2009
 
They don't need the union, they need some competition in town, IE: jobs. I know some of the people that work there and if there were more industry in this town "the good ole boys network" as you guys call it would be non-existent. The guys that have been there 30+ years feel they can't do any better. And yeah, some do not have a HS diploma, but that doesn't mean they can't do their job. Just means they feel stuck, because to be honest they are, where else can they go and stay close to home and make good money (at least for this area?)Most have devoted their life to this job and as in most small towns they are reluctant to change.
But in my opinion, I think they might just vote it in this time. Alot of young guys there now that come from union families.
edward

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 5, 2009
 
small town raised wrote:
being union is an easy choice if money is a huge priority in your life. i'm not against being union. I have an aunt who is president of a union out west. but let CC be how it has been for years. I agree with the whole if your more qualified thing, but in salyersville there aren't a whole lot of people who are qualified for a lot of things. CC has many people working for them who doesn't have a hs diploma. who else would hire them? No where and get paid what they get paid which is great for Salyersville. I have B.A. and I hate the good ole boys system sometimes, but its the only way I have a job now. If ya don't know someone ya don't h ave a job. CC has many families whose whole families pretty much work there. They make good money for that area.
Again I have no problem with being union, but for a company that has done soo much for a small town they should be thankful more than complaining they aren't getting enough. IF they are more qualified for a higher paying job by all means go find it and leave people who need that job with it.
Continental conveyor now only hires hs graduates and their pay won't hardly put groceries on a families table.
KayS

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 5, 2009
 
I dont think you people really know what
your talking about. CC is a heck of a job
right here at home, unless your one of those
people that are never satisfied. This day
and time people should be thankful to even
have a job right at home.

Since: Feb 09

Ironton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 5, 2009
 
KayS wrote:
I dont think you people really know what
your talking about. CC is a heck of a job
right here at home, unless your one of those
people that are never satisfied. This day
and time people should be thankful to even
have a job right at home.
YAY YOU!! And apparently the person who replied to my last post doesn't know anyone who works at CC.. lol it's not awesome pay but it's great pay for that area... haha have you drove through the parking lot of CC? then tell me those workers can't afford anything. If you can drive those cars and not afford food on the table maybe you need to rethink eating steak everynight

Since: Feb 09

Ironton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 5, 2009
 
okay... I don't know much about how a union works. I know some things. Like well i don't know what it's called in Union terms but usually in business terms it's called the glass ceiling. For those of you who don't know what that is means you can go only as far as what is already set for you. Okay the union has this law or whatever you call it about making "normal" amount of money for the area you work in. Say if in CC was in Lexington the workers could be making $50 + an hour because they have other companies around them paying their employees that much. So whats good wage in Magoffin County? Besides lawers, Doctors and Teachers??? oh lets say a good $8 an hour and that may be pushing it. So right there it is. Your glass ceiling. If the Union comes in they could say hey $8 an hour is good money for around here. So have fun topping $8 an hour.... as for having a chirstmas bonus and such... would you rather work of because they don't have the money for a christmas bonus (because they always don't have a lot of work) or would you rather get you christmas bonus and get laid off. I think as a business they have made it through hard times and have def been there to help anyone in Magoffin county out.
Just wondering

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 6, 2009
 
Well I guess now that some of them have made sure Micky McCaleb is no longer with the company after 38 years, the union isn't as important to them, afterall now that's he's gone, and that was the objective right guys?, You're not so worried about it. You may have pulled at a thread that is starting to unravel.
I agree

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 6, 2009
 
Lets just see how bad thing get now that Micky is gone. They will regret it, and the workers will feel it!!

good luck

Since: Aug 08

Salyersville, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 6, 2009
 
Going union would be the best thing for the workers at CC. They will have a voice, good pensions, good pay, benefits, etc.

Since: Feb 09

Ironton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 6, 2009
 
kibby wrote:
Going union would be the best thing for the workers at CC. They will have a voice, good pensions, good pay, benefits, etc.
have you not read any of the posts?
have you just heard someone talking because thats the same thing other people are saying.. if you have a new look on it please msg me i'd like to hear it
yep

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 6, 2009
 
small town raised wrote:
okay... I don't know much about how a union works. I know some things. Like well i don't know what it's called in Union terms but usually in business terms it's called the glass ceiling. For those of you who don't know what that is means you can go only as far as what is already set for you. Okay the union has this law or whatever you call it about making "normal" amount of money for the area you work in. Say if in CC was in Lexington the workers could be making $50 + an hour because they have other companies around them paying their employees that much. So whats good wage in Magoffin County? Besides lawers, Doctors and Teachers??? oh lets say a good $8 an hour and that may be pushing it. So right there it is. Your glass ceiling. If the Union comes in they could say hey $8 an hour is good money for around here. So have fun topping $8 an hour.... as for having a chirstmas bonus and such... would you rather work of because they don't have the money for a christmas bonus (because they always don't have a lot of work) or would you rather get you christmas bonus and get laid off. I think as a business they have made it through hard times and have def been there to help anyone in Magoffin county out.
The union term you are referring to is called a pay scale and you are correct it does vary depending on location. However,it would be alot more than $8 an hour. My husband is a union pipefitter/welder he has worked in various locations and has never made less than $21 an hour and he has done this for kind of work for 15 years. Personally I would love to see CC go union and then maybe my husband wouldnt have to travel so far for work.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Salyersville Forum right now

Search the Salyersville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 29 min Limbertwig 146,291
Andrea Hunt 48 min agree 3
And the Winner Issssss Doc Hardin 2 hr Necessity 15
What's in lees hot sauce 2 hr ouch that burns 8
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 hr Ashby 26,189
John Montgomery you got this. 5 hr seriously 1
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 hr SNYB 128,663
Mayor 15 hr smart choice 44
Church member divorcing Wed Get a life 81
•••
•••
•••
•••

Salyersville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Salyersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Salyersville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salyersville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••