Mathews County: Still no traffic signals

Mathews County: Still no traffic signals

There are 17 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from May 20, 2009, titled Mathews County: Still no traffic signals. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

It's not a traffic signal, but it's an improvement. That's what Virginia Department of Transportation officials are saying about changes designed to boost safety at one of the county's busiest intersections.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

josiah p

Hampton, VA

#1 May 20, 2009
my kind of people!
Simply Gern Jr

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 May 20, 2009
Nobody cares. Hicks.
Reasonable

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#3 May 21, 2009
The new turn lanes are not only a huge waste of taxpayer money but when is it ever smart to force 2 lanes of traffic into one? Especially with no warning.
Cole Younger

Gloucester, VA

#4 May 21, 2009
The way they did this is the stupidist, most moronic, idiotic engineering I have ever seen in my life time. It was bad the way it was, but what they have done now is downright dangerous and actually quite insane. Who on earth has an engineering degree that will allow for an arrangement like that? It is only a matter of time until someone ends of dead because of all those stupid posts right in the middle of the traffic lane at 55-60 mph.
I mean go and take a look at it yourself. A second grader in grade school would know better than this.
josiah p

Hampton, VA

#5 May 21, 2009
the changes were made in order to probably force a traffic signal to be more necessary, and prove that the powers to be are right!
josiah p

Hampton, VA

#6 May 21, 2009
Simply Gern Jr wrote:
Nobody cares. Hicks.
takes one to know one!
Zot

Newport News, VA

#7 May 21, 2009
Let's see what the people who want to "preserve the county's rural character" look like after they're smashed into the shape of an accordion!

- Ha!!! Ha!!! Ha!!! Ha!!!
Zot

Newport News, VA

#8 May 21, 2009

Since: Oct 07

Williamsburg, Va

#9 May 21, 2009
I don't like that right hand turn lane on rt 14. When it was first put there i was in a line of cars and didn't know it was there and almost plowed right through the poles. I think poles are a bad idea anyway because people make mistakes on lane, the speed is kind of high on that road and the signs indicating the change isn't prominent enough. I think putting poles up is a REALLY BAD idea.
As far as the other way people don't do what the signs say all of them do as they did earlier now there is just the added fear that when they do it there could possibly be people setting there waiting to turn. Than again there are poles so if this did happen the people setting to turn can't get out the way because of the poles. I'm not sure if it's needed there was never a full line to turn in the smaller turn lane but if they really thought it was nec. than they should have just extended the turn lane.
Now the corner at the little sue and 198 is dangerous. I have come down that road to all most run right into someone who thinks it's clear to go through the yield or didn't know it was one. I think that should be a straight corner.
North End

United States

#10 May 21, 2009
All this because the morons that are using Rt 3 south refuse to stop for the stop signs and pull out directly in front of vehicles going 55 mph west on 14 to Gloucester. The same with those turning onto Rt 3 from 14 heading north on 3. I don't know what mental condition these morons have but it's a wonder that more haven't been killed by their lack of driving skills.
PWT

New York, NY

#11 May 21, 2009
North End wrote:
All this because the morons that are using Rt 3 south refuse to stop for the stop signs and pull out directly in front of vehicles going 55 mph west on 14 to Gloucester. The same with those turning onto Rt 3 from 14 heading north on 3. I don't know what mental condition these morons have but it's a wonder that more haven't been killed by their lack of driving skills.
Stupidity kills.

Williamsburg, Va

#12 May 21, 2009
That is so right. I've never had a prob. with this intersection until they changed it. I don't think a light is needed i think it was fun just as it was. Now it's dangerous. Now they have the big poles everywhere so people can get killed on big poles and it actually isn't always the drivers fault. At least earlier it was the drivers fault they could fix what they were doing now it's the roads fault. Good luck

“Resistance is futile”

Since: Jul 08

Military brat, from all over

#13 May 21, 2009
Cole Younger wrote:
The way they did this is the stupidist, most moronic, idiotic engineering I have ever seen in my life time. It was bad the way it was, but what they have done now is downright dangerous and actually quite insane. Who on earth has an engineering degree that will allow for an arrangement like that? It is only a matter of time until someone ends of dead because of all those stupid posts right in the middle of the traffic lane at 55-60 mph.
I mean go and take a look at it yourself. A second grader in grade school would know better than this.
You shouldn't be so hard on the VDOT guys. They're just doing their jobs. Yes, they do it poorly, they waste alot of time and resources, but they are the absolute best at what they do. I can't even imagine how many shovels could be laying in wait to destroy your tires and suspension if the VDOT guys weren't there to hold them up and out of the road.

Williamsburg, Va

#14 May 21, 2009
Well why didn't they ask the people who use that road everyday if it needed help and if so what would have been good idea's on how to fix it. I mean those poles are Dangerous and if you don't drive it EVERY day to and from work than you wouldn't know.
Katie

United States

#15 May 21, 2009
Zot wrote:
Let's see what the people who want to "preserve the county's rural character" look like after they're smashed into the shape of an accordion!
Zot ... You are an idiot! Do your parents know that you are using the internet? Or do you work for VDOT? Oops, probably about the same thing!

FYI: The people that want to "preserve the county's rural character" don't want anyone to come to harm. They only want VDOT to use some good old common sense ... which is clearly lacking in the right turn-only lane on Route 14.

I would think even the late Ray Charles could have seen thru this poorly planned project.

Oh and by the way ... What is your problem with preserving the rural character of Mathews County? If you don't like it, then get the Hell out!

Katie
Distant Observer

Satellite Provider

#17 May 22, 2009
Amen. An example of natural selection.
North End wrote:

Williamsburg, Va

#18 May 22, 2009
lol that might be it, maybe VDOT is altering the nature by changing things...lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saluda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Hurd (Nov '09) Apr '16 sick of it too 25
Virginia Medicaid Expansion Feb '16 Patient X 1
Corrupt Commonwealth Attorney and uneducated in... (May '15) May '15 no-justice 1
Tom Brady (Nov '14) Nov '14 Not Interested 1
Urbanna-Incorporation and mayor candidates (Sep '14) Nov '14 RAMROD7 7
Urbannas Joe. H, cought with his pants down por... (Oct '14) Oct '14 peeeeeekabooo 1
Poll Is TheUrbanna Oyster Festival a drunkfest? (Feb '08) Oct '14 Town resident 81

Saluda Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Saluda Mortgages