Daisy

Nashville, TN

#103 Apr 3, 2010
saltville wrote:
<quoted text>
it's for sale....again...lol maybe we should act like we are interested in buying it and go check it out
You know, I'd like that.I've never been inside there. I've heard stories about it though, and I'm sure we could get the real estate agent to let us look at it.Most people are as curious about things as we are. I've heard that the river run red with blood the day of the battle between the rebs and the feds. Before the battle started, the women and children were taken to several houses in the area for their safety. One place is the old Allison place up in the valley, the home of David and Rachel Allison. There was also the story of the shipment of gold they were guarding, no one accounted for the gold later. One soldier stole a gold bar and they caught up with him down the valley, old man Roy Snead told me that his grandfather was one of the people who found the soldiers body, they had chased and shot him, but they never did find the saddlebag with the gold. That was somewher in the area of the old Perkins place. In the area the old Helen Henderson highway went through the valley, very different than what it is today and the old road laid back across the hills behind the Church of Christ,up and around through behind the old Poston place across the field and down through Johnny B hollow across the Cardwell place and down the lane then crossed the creek in the cove area then out the valley and across the mountain down where the Duffs , back across the mountain by the Terry's and up by the old Fullen house on the mountain. It was there the yankees took old man Thomas and killed him, he was considered a rebel sympathizer because he had 13 sons in the army. Places have had so many changes over the years, and things happened back then that we're unaware of now.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#104 Apr 3, 2010
saltville wrote:
my grandmother always tells me about signs to let you know someone is going to die. She said one morning at around 3a.m. someone woke her and her family up beating on the door. She said it was like they were trying to break the door in. After the knocking stopped everyone was already out of bed and gathered in the living room to see what was going on. She said everyone heard a voice whisper Tony (my grandpa's name) he committed suicide later that day.
People have warnings and things they see before they die, usually they see someone who has passed before them who comes back to take them on their journey. My mother died of cancer, she talked to her father, my grandfather, on sunday before she died, I was there and she introduced me to him, he told her he knew me, that he had seen me.They both thought that I could hear and see him, not that time, I couldn't see him or hear him. Me and my uncle who lived in W.Va. sat on his porch one night talking and we watched a lantern come down an old railroad track, there was no one with it. A couple of weeks later he had a heart attack and died. We all have an angel with us when we come to this world, and there have been times things have happened and we, for some reason or other, missed getting killed, or being with people who got killed."just something told you not to go or not to do that." Sometimes things happen and we have a feeling so restless and no matter what we do it's just a sad, distant feeling, no peace, yet there is nothing wrong. The old people claimed that when you feel that, it's the passing of a spirit, someone close will die. Also, I've known people who smell flowers before a death in the family. In the early years, people didn't have florists, they grew flowers, when someone passed the old women would go from home to home and gather flowers to take to the home of the deceased, back then they waked them at home. I guess that is where the flower odor came from. My father had a cousin to get killed in ww2, my fathers aunt Charles mother showed us a mirror, the morning he got killed that mirror cracked in the shape of a pine cone wreath, she knew her son was dead.As long as she lived she kept that mirror, it looked like a picture of a wreath, in a mirror.
PARA Neil

Paducah, KY

#105 Apr 12, 2010
giggly wrote:
well there was this kid see, she had a phone, but it wasn't no ordinary phone, NO WAY, grab somebody close now........It was a touch screen phone and all you had to do was touch it.........BOO lmao
:/ Why do some people bother? I hope they amuse themselves because this simply shows how childish some are.You MUST be REALLY bored... Have a good day ;)
PARA Neil

Paducah, KY

#106 Apr 12, 2010
suzie wrote:
<quoted text> The supernatural is real. Ghosts have been seen by many people who had no reason to lie about it.Some can see them some can't. I grew up in an area like sleepy hollow.It had a 200 year old history and well maintains it today.
That's really odd that the the living would already have a residual effect but that's what seems to be going on.Not saying i doubt it just have never heard about anything like it :)
PARA Neil

Paducah, KY

#107 Apr 12, 2010
Yes wrote:
The old stone house is extremely haunted. My granny's friend had some messed up stories about that place when she lived there. They aren't ghosts, demons in my opinion.
I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to bring our team in and investigate the claims of this place!! This isn't the first time I've heard about it
PARA Neil

Paducah, KY

#108 Apr 12, 2010
Boo_ wrote:
This is an awesome topic. Anyone have any good stories to share?
Look us up on Myspace by email! We have some evps and such posted on [email protected] m
If anyone would like to discuss the paranormal or needs an investigation, we are based out of Saltville,active with the TAPS Family teams and are a scientific team that does free investigations.We'd be happy to assist you in any way way can :)
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#109 Apr 16, 2010
PARA Neil wrote:
<quoted text>Look us up on Myspace by email! We have some evps and such posted on [email protected] m
If anyone would like to discuss the paranormal or needs an investigation, we are based out of Saltville,active with the TAPS Family teams and are a scientific team that does free investigations.We'd be happy to assist you in any way way can :)
I would love to take you to the old cemetary and to the homeplace and Johnny B hollow and the stretch from the trash compactor to still branch hollow down on tumbling creek, also flint rock road.
cassanova

Johnson City, TN

#110 Apr 18, 2010
There are many stories of sightings of what appeared to be a woman in white along McHenry creek from where the old Harris trucking garage was down to the road where you turn toward the old quarry. Back in 1967, not long after the garage was built, 3 employees saw the ghost inside the garage shortly before daylight one morning. It was there when they opened the door, but disappeared when they turned on the light. Family members who lived near there told stories of sightings as far back as the mid 1920's. It was common to hear footsteps inside and around the garage at various times, sometimes in daylight. The last sighting I heard of was around 1987, when it was seen standing near a large tree above the garage. Anyone seen anything in that area?
cassanova

Johnson City, TN

#111 Apr 18, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> I'd like to go with you and see what happened there. The day the rebs were losing the battle of saltville and they had heard the war was about over, so many of the slave owners in the area murdered all their slaves. It's said the old house at the head of Possum Hollow is haunted, the Slaughter mansion.I heard they hanged the slaves from the oak trees in the yard. I've heard that they put their slaves in a smokehouse and shot them, the story was there was holes in the smokehouse several years agoit was still standing.
The Rebs did'nt lose at Saltville- they routed a much larger federal army and chased them a long way back toward Michigan. According to my great Grandpa,who fought in the battle, they cut off many negro soldier's heads and placed them atop fenceposts (mostly some soldiers from Tenn. did this.) A few months later, the feds occupied Saltville and encountered very little resistance.
cassanova

Johnson City, TN

#112 Apr 18, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> You know, I'd like that.I've never been inside there. I've heard stories about it though, and I'm sure we could get the real estate agent to let us look at it.Most people are as curious about things as we are. I've heard that the river run red with blood the day of the battle between the rebs and the feds. Before the battle started, the women and children were taken to several houses in the area for their safety. One place is the old Allison place up in the valley, the home of David and Rachel Allison. There was also the story of the shipment of gold they were guarding, no one accounted for the gold later. One soldier stole a gold bar and they caught up with him down the valley, old man Roy Snead told me that his grandfather was one of the people who found the soldiers body, they had chased and shot him, but they never did find the saddlebag with the gold. That was somewher in the area of the old Perkins place. In the area the old Helen Henderson highway went through the valley, very different than what it is today and the old road laid back across the hills behind the Church of Christ,up and around through behind the old Poston place across the field and down through Johnny B hollow across the Cardwell place and down the lane then crossed the creek in the cove area then out the valley and across the mountain down where the Duffs , back across the mountain by the Terry's and up by the old Fullen house on the mountain. It was there the yankees took old man Thomas and killed him, he was considered a rebel sympathizer because he had 13 sons in the army. Places have had so many changes over the years, and things happened back then that we're unaware of now.
I always heard the Rebs stole a gold shipment off the train in Glade, and hid it somewhere probably in a cave between Glade and Saltville. There was an article about it in the Bristol paper sometime in the early 80's. I read it,but did'nt save it.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#113 Apr 21, 2010
Does anyone happen to know any stories about the 'Happy Birthday' house?
saltville

Charlottesville, VA

#114 Apr 22, 2010
pink2010 wrote:
Does anyone happen to know any stories about the 'Happy Birthday' house?
I heard that on this girls 16th birthday she went crazy and killed her whole family and wrote happy birthday on the walls in their blood, but that is all I have heard. I have also had people show me the happy birthday house and they have shown me two different ones, so I don't really know which is which. What have you heard about it and where is the one you've heard of?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#115 Apr 22, 2010
The one I looked up is in Bristol VA. You can go to www.hauntmastersclub.com or google happy birthday house. It says on that website that there's only a chimney left. I'm not sure when all of it supposedly happened. That's the only thing that I have found on it. I would like to know the whole story.
furby lover

Hermitage, TN

#116 Apr 25, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> I would love to take you to the old cemetary and to the homeplace and Johnny B hollow and the stretch from the trash compactor to still branch hollow down on tumbling creek, also flint rock road.
do you have a website?
adamdogbert

Johnson City, TN

#117 Apr 26, 2010
saltville wrote:
I've heard the trussel entering tin bridge hollar is haunted...does anybody have any specific tales about the stone house? I've also heard that the jeb stuart house on smokey row is haunted, but I haven't heard any specific stories.
Speaking of Tin Bridge hollow, there were reports of a "monster" sighting there years ago, maybe 1958-1960. Some kind of large creature chased a car,supposed to have put large claw marks and badly damaged the trunk lid. Driver claimed the creature kept up with the car at 45-50 mph. Creature was sighted by several, and reported in local papers.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#118 Apr 26, 2010
furby lover wrote:
<quoted text>
do you have a website?
I have an email address. My daughter knows a lady who can communicate, and she looked at a picture of the homeplace, and told of things that had taken place there, she doesn't know the people, nor the place but she was right on about some of the events. she wants to come take a look for herself and can tell who these people were. One person who haunts it killed and robbed people, they would spend the night and never be seen again. there was stories to this effect about the place in the 1700's. I'm trying to find the woman, and take her to the place. If you would be interested, I'll give you a time and a day when I find out something from the woman who can communicate. You can't be afraid of these things, if you are you could be in danger. My daughter don't want to go with her she's afraid of getting something up that would follow her home.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#119 Apr 26, 2010
cassanova wrote:
<quoted text> The Rebs did'nt lose at Saltville- they routed a much larger federal army and chased them a long way back toward Michigan. According to my great Grandpa,who fought in the battle, they cut off many negro soldier's heads and placed them atop fenceposts (mostly some soldiers from Tenn. did this.) A few months later, the feds occupied Saltville and encountered very little resistance.
The Feds occupied the valley before the battle of Saltville, down in the Hayter's Gap area. My ancestors lived down there. They took the food and the animals from the people. In Tumblin Creek, one family had their little slave boy take their jewelry, their silverware and other valuables out and hide them, before he got back, he was shot, the only thing they found out about where their valuables were he could look into the door of the old schoolhouse and see the stove. The old schoolhouse set near the point in front of Colleen Taylor's house. THe door faced the Tumbling creek bridge. They were never found
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#120 Apr 26, 2010
cassanova wrote:
<quoted text>I always heard the Rebs stole a gold shipment off the train in Glade, and hid it somewhere probably in a cave between Glade and Saltville. There was an article about it in the Bristol paper sometime in the early 80's. I read it,but did'nt save it.
Frank Sanders use to write for the paper about the history of Saltville, he wrote many things and his book is in the library. Have you read any of his stories? I read them but can't remember very them.
cassanova

Johnson City, TN

#121 Apr 27, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> Frank Sanders use to write for the paper about the history of Saltville, he wrote many things and his book is in the library. Have you read any of his stories? I read them but can't remember very them.
I have never read the stories-will try to check it out. The articles I referred to appeared in the sunday edition of Bristol paper in the early 80's. It was a series that went on for 3-4 weeks. Not all were about our area,some were about Swift's silver, and the Beale treasure near Roanoke. Very interesting series, I wish I still had them.
cassanova

Johnson City, TN

#122 Apr 27, 2010
saltville wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard that on this girls 16th birthday she went crazy and killed her whole family and wrote happy birthday on the walls in their blood, but that is all I have heard. I have also had people show me the happy birthday house and they have shown me two different ones, so I don't really know which is which. What have you heard about it and where is the one you've heard of?
My son says the house is at Goose pimple junction outside Bristol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saltville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Softball 1 hr Basketball Jones 11
Fred Sparks 3 hr Ol Baby 2
Michelle Boardwine 4 hr Hum 2
Amy Mitchell Sun Tina 4
Landon smith Nov 17 Just being honest 24
saltville medical center (May '17) Nov 15 Curious 17
Sports Nov 15 Harry Of The Redwood 21

Saltville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance