commonwealth attorney
Jennifer Campbell-Poore

Paducah, KY

#1 Nov 1, 2011
Jennifer Campbell-Poore
Saltville, VA
Reply |Report Abuse|Judge it!|#12914 min ago

@ In the Know: I believe if I am not mistaken that Jeff Campbell did marry into money, which allowed him to become an attorney. He was living in a nice big house while going to school....
There are things in this life that no matter how much effort you put forth ( because we are human and we sin each and every day and will continue to do so) will cause you to have whiplash and not be able to turn the other cheek. I will say that politics are not my cup of Mt. Dew. The last "election ballot" my name was on was as a senior in high school for student body president. This election for student body offices became ugly and I can remember my Asst. Principal telling me not to worry-it's POLITICS. "If they can't take the heat they need to get out of the kitchen." Both sides of the candidates for Commonwealth Attorney have "slung mud" and been vocal in the attempts to get their points across to the public. One candidate happens to be my younger brother.(Jeff Campbell) It has truly been a test for me to keep my mouth shut but I have made every attempt to do so. Today I lost the battle. The reason for my letter to topix is to make clear to others and try to understand myself why any reference should be made as to the financial abilities of my deceased parents and why that should have any relation to how much intelligence my brother can possess. Refer to this statement posted yesterday:(@ In the Know: I believe if I am not mistaken that Jeff Campbell did marry into money, which allowed him to become an attorney. He was living in a nice big house while going to school....) It is now time to set some records straight. Our father had terrible heart trouble and started having heart attacks at 42. Our sister,Linda was 20, I was 6 and Jeff was 2 years old. My father's heart at 42 was compared to the diseased heart of an 85 year old man. He was not able to work. Our mother worked two jobs to help support our family (Supreme Mills in Chilhowie and the former SALINA RESTARAUNT in Saltville) She did not have it easy but that should in no way be related to her or my father's amount of intelligence and CERTAINLY not be a factor in my brother's ability to become an attorney anymore than his suffering from horrible asthma was a deterrent to this endeavor. My Mom had a sick husband and a sick little boy to take care of and we did not starve but we didn't have anything handed to us on (see next posting)
Jennifer Campbell-Poore

Paducah, KY

#2 Nov 1, 2011
Jennifer Campbell-Poore
Saltville, VA
Reply |Report Abuse|Judge it!|#13011 min ago

a silver platter, either. Do you think these happenings should reflect in any manner on my parents'or my brother's abilities? On their intelligence? My Dad died at 59. My brother was accepted at King College. We lost our father and it was a terrible time of grief for my family. Jeff ended up at the local community college for two years. He married the girl he had grown up with since he was 8 years old and I think he is smart but I don't believe he was "evaluating" her parents' bank account at that age. He worked third shift at Brunswick in Marion and attended Emory and Henry College during the day so that he and his wife could pay for their first home (they were blessed to find it for 18,000 dollars like they have repeatedly said) and to pay installment payments (ON THEIR OWN) each month. They had two little girls during this couple of years and after my brother graduated from Emory the new law school in Grundy, VA was opening and he wanted to apply. He did and was accepted. He drove around 4 hours each day to attend school, he studied, he worked and he helped take care of his children. I can remember praying for him to make it across the mountain in the snow and ice for three years because the schedule was hardly ever altered. He wasn't "flown" to Grundy in a private jet by his "rich" inlaws nor did he have a home there because he had a home in Saltville to support. As for the BIG HOUSE he lived in during this time it cost 80,000 and they have lived in "concrete slab plumbing Hell for years" but he just keeps fixing it and moving on. It had three beds/2 full baths-this BIG HOUSE. My brother is a good person and I know this because during the last 4 years he has helped feed my family after I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and my husband lost his job when the company was sold to new owners who praised his work but had employees fill out health question forms and laid him off 3 days after we turned ours in. If it had not been for my brother and sister-we would not have been able to buy medicine or eat. My husband and I both have worked since we were 15 and I lost my occupation of 20 years to M.S. and he lost his job at 51 to a 35 year old without a sick wife and he was this person's boss for several years! Life isn't fair. We weren't born with a "Cabbage Patch Certificate" saying we were guaranteed even ONE smile on this earth. I can overlook all of this ugly political junk and I have-but I feel like the statement posted suggesting my brother could have not achieved his goal because his parents were POOR therefore he had to find a way to buy an I.Q. has made me so sick. I am glad to be POORE. It makes you have an appreciation for what really matters on this earth. My brother has four kids to support yet he came from a poor family and he took the time to make sure his sister and her family had food during their time of need. Now that's what life should be about, don't you think? Jennifer Campbell-Poore
who cares

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Nov 1, 2011
who cares
hedgeapple

Paducah, KY

#4 Nov 1, 2011
Jennifer Campbell-Poore wrote:
Jennifer Campbell-Poore
Saltville, VA
a silver platter, either. Do you think these happenings should reflect in any manner on my parents'or my brother's abilities? On their intelligence? My Dad died at 59. My brother was accepted at King College. We lost our father and it was a terrible time of grief for my family. Jeff ended up at the local community college for two years. He married the girl he had grown up with since he was 8 years old and I think he is smart but I don't believe he was "evaluating" her parents' bank account at that age. He worked third shift at Brunswick in Marion and attended Emory and Henry College during the day so that he and his wife could pay for their first home (they were blessed to find it for 18,000 dollars like they have repeatedly said) and to pay installment payments (ON THEIR OWN) each month. They had two little girls during this couple of years and after my brother graduated from Emory the new law school in Grundy, VA was opening and he wanted to apply. He did and was accepted. He drove around 4 hours each day to attend school, he studied, he worked and he helped take care of his children. I can remember praying for him to make it across the mountain in the snow and ice for three years because the schedule was hardly ever altered. He wasn't "flown" to Grundy in a private jet by his "rich" inlaws nor did he have a home there because he had a home in Saltville to support. As for the BIG HOUSE he lived in during this time it cost 80,000 and they have lived in "concrete slab plumbing Hell for years" but he just keeps fixing it and moving on. It had three beds/2 full baths-this BIG HOUSE. My brother is a good person and I know this because during the last 4 years he has helped feed my family after I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and my husband lost his job when the company was sold to new owners who praised his work but had employees fill out health question forms and laid him off 3 days after we turned ours in. If it had not been for my brother and sister-we would not have been able to buy medicine or eat. My husband and I both have worked since we were 15 and I lost my occupation of 20 years to M.S. and he lost his job at 51 to a 35 year old without a sick wife and he was this person's boss for several years! Life isn't fair. We weren't born with a "Cabbage Patch Certificate" saying we were guaranteed even ONE smile on this earth. I can overlook all of this ugly political junk and I have-but I feel like the statement posted suggesting my brother could have not achieved his goal because his parents were POOR therefore he had to find a way to buy an I.Q. has made me so sick. I am glad to be POORE. It makes you have an appreciation for what really matters on this earth. My brother has four kids to support yet he came from a poor family and he took the time to make sure his sister and her family had food during their time of need. Now that's what life should be about, don't you think? Jennifer Campbell-Poore
it's nice to see somebody these days defending someone they care about YOU GO GIRL
Jennifer Campbell-Poore

Paducah, KY

#5 Nov 1, 2011
who cares wrote:
who cares
Well, I know God does:)
Spottswoode

Bristol, VA

#7 Nov 1, 2011
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
hatesbackstabber s

United States

#8 Nov 1, 2011
If the people of Saltville knew how Evan's office made fun of the honest, hard-working people of Saltville, they would be shocked. I have heard it with my own ears. The arrogance of ignorant, egotistical people. Why not fight this political battle with the facts, and stop trying to ruin people's lives.
Strife

Lexington, VA

#9 Nov 2, 2011
Jeff is a good down to earth guy.
just me

Paducah, KY

#10 Nov 2, 2011
Normally, I browse through Topix, but never comment. After reading Jennifer's post I felt the need to say that this is one of the best posts on the website. I am not choosing sides, and personally do not know the Campbell family. I just think that credit should be given when and where it is deserved!

We all basically start out on the same road in life, but as we grow older it is our choice to decide if we want to better ourselves or not, whether or not you come from a wealthy family! There are many less fortunate people who have decided to get an education and better themselves, as there are some who have been handed to all their lives and still expect the same as they grow older.

So, just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean it was handed to them from their parents or spouses parents. Maybe they decided to get off their behinds and work for it!!
Jennifer Campbell-Poore
Saltville, VA
Jens friend

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Nov 2, 2011
Jennifer,
I agree that this sight is set up for people wih little or not self esteem to pick apart people out there trying to make a difference. They have attacked my family, made up terrible lies and had this person jailed while he was right here at home. I only come on to make sure the liars are called out. No one wants to make comment publically about a candidate when they can hide behind a keyboard and computer. I at the present have not made up my mind who to vote for, I always want to find the truth in the candidate and their platform before I flip my vote.
Knows Jeff Well

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Nov 2, 2011
It took a lot of perserverence for Jeff to drive to Grundy every day, rain, shine, or snow. He ran his little car to death! That was to better himself, and make a life for his family. I don't know many people that could have done it. Jeff Campbell is as common a man as you will ever meet, and I am proud to call him my friend. He proved to me years ago that he is a REAL man!Jeff and I and others worked a lot of long hours negotiating the Virginia Gas contract for the Town of Saltville. So far it has brought more than $3,000,000 cash to the town, and will continue to bring revenue in for many years. What has Roy Evans done for the county? How many drug dealers has the Saltville PD busted, just to have them back on the street before the arresting officer got back to town? It's time for the good citizens to start taking our county back! Vote for Jeff Campbell for Commonwealth's Attorney!!!
Question Mark

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 2, 2011
Does Roy and Sheriff Bradley know that Steve Surber's first wife Connie was a student on his school bus when he got her pregnant? According to the on line version of the Code of Virginia, Steve should be pulling 6 years to life in prison for carnal knowledge of a person under 13 years of age, while in a supervisory position. He was removed from his job as Chief of Police for 30 days for misappropriation of public funds. So Roy and Dave hire him as a bailiff at the Smyth County Courthouse. In the last town election, he committed voter fraud, and Roy said he would do something about it. Roy hasn't done Diddly!!!
Anon

United States

#14 Nov 2, 2011
Jennifer,
I have met your brother and worked with him in the past. In my honest opinion, if you believe him to be a truly good man, you should do all you can to get him out of Smyth county politics. Sorry to say this but the job will eat him alive. To be a Smyth county drone as a good man cannot work. To many bad people make the job impossible to do with any real satisfaction. He should go back to handling his own law practice and leave this mess to the idiots who will never allow a good man to make a difference.
I believe Jeff should get away from all the small town mentality and move somewhere that he will be treated better.
The county is suppose to be a product of its best and brightest. Sadly, it has been destroyed by corrupt law enforcement, and stupid judges for so long that the only way he can make a difference is for the election replace everyone, not just a CA. We need to get all the best and brightest elected and all of the bad cops fired.
hatesbackstabber s

United States

#15 Nov 3, 2011
Can someone please tell me how a person with a record can hold a position in the Marion judicial system? Also, how many of Saltville's ex-cops are working in Marion now? What is it, a recycle bin for police officers?
GUESS WHAT

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Nov 3, 2011
I personally think he fits right in with the rest of the thieves and crooks in this county!!
GUESS WHAT

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Nov 3, 2011
hatesbackstabbers wrote:
Can someone please tell me how a person with a record can hold a position in the Marion judicial system? Also, how many of Saltville's ex-cops are working in Marion now? What is it, a recycle bin for police officers?
Hey, when you recycle sh.. it takes a long process to come out even half clean! Get the point!!
whattha

Hermitage, TN

#18 Nov 4, 2011
Question Mark wrote:
Does Roy and Sheriff Bradley know that Steve Surber's first wife Connie was a student on his school bus when he got her pregnant? According to the on line version of the Code of Virginia, Steve should be pulling 6 years to life in prison for carnal knowledge of a person under 13 years of age, while in a supervisory position. He was removed from his job as Chief of Police for 30 days for misappropriation of public funds. So Roy and Dave hire him as a bailiff at the Smyth County Courthouse. In the last town election, he committed voter fraud, and Roy said he would do something about it. Roy hasn't done Diddly!!!
She was older than 13, she was 16 or 17, and he was 19, and he loved her. Both were just kids. How much older are you than your spouse..speaking of the t shirt embezzelment, why don't you talk about the grants from Olin.?
Kika Jones

Wasilla, AK

#19 Jun 5, 2012
Jennifer Campbell-Poore
Saltville, VA
Reply |Report Abuse|Judge it!|#12914 min ago
@ In the Know: I believe if I am not mistaken that Jeff Campbell did marry into money, which allowed him to become an attorney. He was living in a nice big house while going to school....
There are things in this life that no matter how much effort you put forth ( because we are human and we sin each and every day and will continue to do so) will cause you to have whiplash and not be able to turn the other cheek. I will say that politics are not my cup of Mt. Dew. The last "election ballot" my name was on was as a senior in high school for student body president. This election for student body offices became ugly and I can remember my Asst. Principal telling me not to worry-it's POLITICS. "If they can't take the heat they need to get out of the kitchen." Both sides of the candidates for Commonwealth Attorney have "slung mud" and been vocal in the attempts to get their points across to the public. One candidate happens to be my younger brother.(Jeff Campbell) It has truly been a test for me to keep my mouth shut but I have made every attempt to do so. Today I lost the battle. The reason for my letter to topix is to make clear to others and try to understand myself why any reference should be made as to the financial abilities of my deceased parents and why that should have any relation to how much intelligence my brother can possess. Refer to this statement posted yesterday:(@ In the Know: I believe if I am not mistaken that Jeff Campbell did marry into money, which allowed him to become an attorney. He was living in a nice big house while going to school....) It is now time to set some records straight. Our father had terrible heart trouble and started having heart attacks at 42. Our sister,Linda was 20, I was 6 and Jeff was 2 years old. My father's heart at 42 was compared to the diseased heart of an 85 year old man. He was not able to work. Our mother worked two jobs to help support our family (Supreme Mills in Chilhowie and the former SALINA RESTARAUNT in Saltville) She did not have it easy but that should in no way be related to her or my father's amount of intelligence and CERTAINLY not be a factor in my brother's ability to become an attorney anymore than his suffering from horrible asthma was a deterrent to this endeavor. My Mom had a sick husband and a sick little boy to take care of and we did not starve but we didn't have anything handed to us on (see next posting)
you are absolutely correct jennifer how easy it is for people to criticize when they know nothing of personal struggles
k. jones
p.s. i need to speak with you about edith and eddy kvjones1@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saltville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Saltville board of supervisors race 19 hr Eugene 174
Ho Mon Corndick 1
William Jarboe Mon My People 21
farm use tag's?????????? (Jun '10) Mon Citizen1 74
Drugs (Jul '16) Mon Not carrot top 24
Football (May '17) Sun Riverheads 83
why Jan 14 keep sucking 22

Saltville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance