Saltville Labor Day Celebration

Posted in the Saltville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

Saltville

#1 May 7, 2009
I know Labor Day is still a few months off, but I went last year and was kinda disappointed. Mostly by the vendors or, more so, the lack of. Most were mobile restaurants set up and a few games and such. Of course the new stage was the central attraction as all the vendors were set up behind the post office it seemed to me they were simply put "out of the way" for the stage. Just 2 years ago I noticed the number of vendors had started to shrink from the years prior. I asked some of those that had set up a booth there before, and those that had stopped setting up, all answered the same way. The Town wants too much money for a booth space. Now, is this a ploy for the town to run all the vendors out of labor day just to highlight the new stage? When I first started going in the eighties, Saltville Labor Day used to be a big local event, offering helicopter rides and car shows and parades that featured more than just one band. Like most things in this town, it's gone down hill. Maybe its too much for the big SPD to handle since this town is so big.(yes, that is sarcasm). Oh, and also I heard the Bluegrass music is not going to be allowed on the lower end of town this year? What next? Maybe we'll have to pay an admission to listen to the music on the stage? Maybe it can be a combo deal with that over priced wave pool. Maybe the town will put a toll booth at the end of 107 where it runs into 19 at the traffic light.(wish I had my own personal traffic light at the end of my driveway). Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramblings, I was just sitting here thinking about all of this.
The good old days

Dillwyn, VA

#2 May 7, 2009
I remember when we would be down all weekend.the whole family,4 generations.My uncle would set up his cotton candy machine in front of the 5 and dime.We would stay every night until late.didn't have to worry about all this stuff they have going on now.They don't even have fireworks anymore.We even meet Garth Brooks before he made it big.Now we don't even brother to go down there.The kids might go but they have memories that there kids will never know.They took all the good stuff away.So we go to our parents house for a cookout,usually the last get together until Thanks Giving.Atleast the kids get to see everybody.Which is what we did at the celabration.Nothing for the family now.They tell you who's down there and most of the time nobody wont to fight the crowd to listen to them.But thanks for the memories.

Saltville

#3 May 7, 2009
I remember myself and a friend waiting out a rain shower when Garth Brooks was in town. He stood right beside of us where Clarks Pharmacy used to be on main street and was telling someone how much he liked this little town. My buddy looked over at me and said "He is a good singer, but if he wants to get anywhere he's going to have to change his name from Garth!" Boy was he wrong!
the prick

Nashville, TN

#4 May 8, 2009
ask bill haynes why they run larry and the local bluegrass pickers off from the lower end

Saltville

#5 May 9, 2009
Yeah, I remember when it was fun, rides for kids, fresh pork rinds, and a few years some dude had a real rootbeer and sasafras stand. Last few years even my kids don't want to go, then when I drag em down there about all I hear is ' I'm bored", and you know what, I had to agree with them. I remember when the "Lizard Kings" had the late Saturday night showing and played for ALONG time after they where supposed to be offstage...there biggest hit of the night was a diddy they called "T-Bone Shuffle" dedicated to the Mayor of the time of course....
little mommaw

United States

#6 May 9, 2009
I heard that someone was having music up on the stage the 16th, Memorial Day. Has anyone heard any thing about it? Would be nice.
If U Only Knew

Georgetown, KY

#7 May 9, 2009
wrathchild3777 wrote:
Yeah, I remember when it was fun, rides for kids, fresh pork rinds, and a few years some dude had a real rootbeer and sasafras stand. Last few years even my kids don't want to go, then when I drag em down there about all I hear is ' I'm bored", and you know what, I had to agree with them. I remember when the "Lizard Kings" had the late Saturday night showing and played for ALONG time after they where supposed to be offstage...there biggest hit of the night was a diddy they called "T-Bone Shuffle" dedicated to the Mayor of the time of course....
Yeah... so sad the Lizard Kings are no more... they were awesome. Maybe I am a little bias though. Randy is family ;)

Saltville

#8 May 9, 2009
yeah, I was there in Chilhowie when they opened for Lou Diamond Phillips and The Pipefitters...and they OWNED THEM. I think almost everyone would rather they had stayed on stage and let Phillips stick to acting..lol..I would love to get my hands on one of their old cd's..so since Randy is fam "if only you knew" see if has has one tucked away somewhere he would want to get rid of...lol
If U Only Knew

Georgetown, KY

#9 May 9, 2009
I'll definately let u know... I'll check with Scotty (Scooter) too... he's still a good friend of mine.

Since: May 09

Dead Dog Holler,Hell

#10 May 27, 2009
put fred singleton back in charge of labor day...i guess the town had more money years ago when there were still factories here to give the town money..i guess it's a lot better now that the current mayor is trying to erase anything to remind us of what the town used to be..he spends it on the most rediculous crap..and one more thing...Jeff...when are u going to put the town basketball goals back up like you promised a year ago?
oooyougotserved

Nashville, TN

#11 May 27, 2009
Has anyone heard who the entertainment is going be for sure yet? I sure hope that it is John Mellencamp. Just wondering.
I vote 4 fred

United States

#12 May 27, 2009
They should let Fred run the show, he had better sense and more fun stuff to do!!!

Dead Dog Holler,Hell

#13 May 27, 2009
I think a battle of the bands would be a good idea and invite local bands and some from surrounding areas.let the contest run from friday to monday night.a really great band i saw at a battle of the bands at a college my son was attending was called Caiged Angel
the prick

Nashville, TN

#14 May 27, 2009
who in thier right mind wants to listen local bands all the ones around here sux my ol dog howls better than what most sound like

Dead Dog Holler,Hell

#15 May 27, 2009
the prick wrote:
who in thier right mind wants to listen local bands all the ones around here sux my ol dog howls better than what most sound like
u sir, are a prick
the prick

Nashville, TN

#16 May 28, 2009
yes i am tell me something i dont already know
Onepicker

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jun 10, 2009
the prick wrote:
ask bill haynes why they run larry and the local bluegrass pickers off from the lower end
I too would like to know why the Lions club kicked Larry Hogston and us pickers off the showgrounds. They were getting lots of $$$$ selling food the whole weekend. Id like see THEM attract bands from all over this country and organize them into a 3 day show, ALL FOR FREE.. Lions, it seems to me you cut off your nose to spite your face, correct me if Im wrong..
RatSquad

United States

#18 Jun 11, 2009
The Woolynater wrote:
I know Labor Day is still a few months off, but I went last year and was kinda disappointed. Mostly by the vendors or, more so, the lack of. Most were mobile restaurants set up and a few games and such. Of course the new stage was the central attraction as all the vendors were set up behind the post office it seemed to me they were simply put "out of the way" for the stage. Just 2 years ago I noticed the number of vendors had started to shrink from the years prior. I asked some of those that had set up a booth there before, and those that had stopped setting up, all answered the same way. The Town wants too much money for a booth space. Now, is this a ploy for the town to run all the vendors out of labor day just to highlight the new stage? When I first started going in the eighties, Saltville Labor Day used to be a big local event, offering helicopter rides and car shows and parades that featured more than just one band. Like most things in this town, it's gone down hill. Maybe its too much for the big SPD to handle since this town is so big.(yes, that is sarcasm). Oh, and also I heard the Bluegrass music is not going to be allowed on the lower end of town this year? What next? Maybe we'll have to pay an admission to listen to the music on the stage? Maybe it can be a combo deal with that over priced wave pool. Maybe the town will put a toll booth at the end of 107 where it runs into 19 at the traffic light.(wish I had my own personal traffic light at the end of my driveway). Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramblings, I was just sitting here thinking about all of this.
Ok I now for some hear say but any ways for the bluegrass I heard wasn't going to be there but instead Everyone is talking about them letting people rent the shed or what ever you call that thing out there for yardsales that people have been wanting to have. That is what I heard from some of the people that rent out there.
Larry Hogston

Hermitage, TN

#19 Jul 4, 2009
For the record. The "registered letter" (yes they paid $5.32 to send me a letter) I received from the Lions Club was dated October 24, 2008 and read exactly as follows:

Dear Larry:

Due to circumstances, the Lions Club grounds will not be available to musicians next year during Labor Day celebration.

Respectfully yours,
Lions Club Board of Directors
Warren E. Elliott, Secretary

You would think that after 12 years of working hard to have the Saltville Jam, at no expense to the Lions Club or the town that they could at least offer a better explanation. I've been hearing all the rumors, but I haven't heard any FACTS yet.

Anyone who attended the Saltville Jam knows that we have had some of the very best musicians from all over the world in full support of the event. I have a recorded history of the entire 12 years that will someday be given to the Library of Congress for historical purposes so I can backup what I say.

Rest assured, the jam will go on this Labor Day Weekend. The only difference is, it will be located at the park in Chilhowie. They have welcomed us with opened arms. Keep an eye on the website www.smtycountyjam.com or www.scjam.com or www.saltvillejam.com for updates. Major updates are in the works for both the website and brochures, so hang in there and keep watching.

The past 3 years, we had a circus tent set up much as the old Bluegrass show from years ago, and was never even mentioned in the local paper. As a matter of fact, we have only been mentioned one time in 12 years. Great reporting!

If you attended the Saltville Jam as either a picker of listener, please share your opinions.

The Smyth County Jam has grown to such proportions both with pickers and listeners, that the building will not hold them. It's funny how a little move of 9 miles made such a huge difference. Maybe getting away from the lack of leadership in the Town of Saltville is what made the difference.

I would love to see the Town of Saltville back the way it was when we had good leadership. But that will never happen; too much damage has already been done. You know the saying: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." Decisions are being made in the town that seems very foolish to me and almost everyone I talk with. What is going on?

I'll close with a brilliant saying one of my friends used to say: A thousand wise men cannot answer a fool!
Larry Hogston

Hermitage, TN

#20 Jul 4, 2009
Larry Hogston wrote:
For the record. The "registered letter" (yes they paid $5.32 to send me a letter) I received from the Lions Club was dated October 24, 2008 and read exactly as follows:
Dear Larry:
Due to circumstances, the Lions Club grounds will not be available to musicians next year during Labor Day celebration.
Respectfully yours,
Lions Club Board of Directors
Warren E. Elliott, Secretary
You would think that after 12 years of working hard to have the Saltville Jam, at no expense to the Lions Club or the town that they could at least offer a better explanation. I've been hearing all the rumors, but I haven't heard any FACTS yet.
Anyone who attended the Saltville Jam knows that we have had some of the very best musicians from all over the world in full support of the event. I have a recorded history of the entire 12 years that will someday be given to the Library of Congress for historical purposes so I can backup what I say.
Rest assured, the jam will go on this Labor Day Weekend. The only difference is, it will be located at the park in Chilhowie. They have welcomed us with opened arms. Keep an eye on the website www.smtycountyjam.com or www.scjam.com or www.saltvillejam.com for updates. Major updates are in the works for both the website and brochures, so hang in there and keep watching.
The past 3 years, we had a circus tent set up much as the old Bluegrass show from years ago, and was never even mentioned in the local paper. As a matter of fact, we have only been mentioned one time in 12 years. Great reporting!
If you attended the Saltville Jam as either a picker of listener, please share your opinions.
The Smyth County Jam has grown to such proportions both with pickers and listeners, that the building will not hold them. It's funny how a little move of 9 miles made such a huge difference. Maybe getting away from the lack of leadership in the Town of Saltville is what made the difference.
I would love to see the Town of Saltville back the way it was when we had good leadership. But that will never happen; too much damage has already been done. You know the saying: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." Decisions are being made in the town that seems very foolish to me and almost everyone I talk with. What is going on?
I'll close with a brilliant saying one of my friends used to say: A thousand wise men cannot answer a fool!
Sorry about the misspelling of the website. I was in a hurry to go picking. The correct website is www.smythcountyjam.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saltville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VB Northwood 36 min Houz if Burger 50
What ever happened to Chelsey Griffith the live... 4 hr Hmm 1
Penny Armstrong Holston (Jan '15) 8 hr Not Surprised Either 31
Saltville board of supervisors 10 hr SHAKER 74
Guy in general lee car at rite aid Tue Friend of the family 14
Greatest football player in northwood history (Jan '17) Mon Rev Donnie Hoskin... 40
Football Oct 13 Pay attention 66

Saltville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Saltville Mortgages