USDA to round up Canadian geese in Saltville

Jun 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WVEC-TV Norfolk

Federal wildlife officials are coming to Saltville to rid the town of about 400 bothersome Canadian geese.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Mar 11, 2014
Diana Fields

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Last night I was drifting off to sleep while watching the local news here in Knoxville. I hear the voice of the anchorman stating something about a town with an animal problem. The I hear the words Virginia along with ducks and geese. I think, that has to be Saltville.

I turn over and there on my screen is Mike Taylor taking about the ongoing problem of the duck and geese in Saltville.

It made me miss home! Love you all!

Since: May 13

Branford, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

I think they should leave them alone. I go down there just to watch them.
stupid

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

They don't bother anyone..yes they get in the road every once in awhile but that's it. They say they're messing up the golf course..so what? There's bigger problems then just that. They should use that money to get rid of them to do something that will actually help us. Heck, maybe even redo the roads. That would help out a bunch!
Well

Chilhowie, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

heard that the removal was canceled..
dreaming

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

No nightmare getting a glance of Taylor with his silly broken tooth grin. Does the town not have dental insurance. Spend all the money on the geese removal and not on the youth of our town. That would open a teen center somewhere. They could share the GCS building.
really

South Boston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

dreaming wrote:
No nightmare getting a glance of Taylor with his silly broken tooth grin. Does the town not have dental insurance. Spend all the money on the geese removal and not on the youth of our town. That would open a teen center somewhere. They could share the GCS building.
Why the personal attack on Mike Taylor? You can disagree with his policies, but is the other needed? I found your comments offensive in nature and did nothing to further your point. All you did is come off as a bully.
Crying shame

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

dreaming wrote:
No need for name calling however I do agree on a teen center of some sort. Council help the teens, give them a place to go. GCS building would have made a great skating rink or center for that!
Callie

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Crying shame wrote:
<quoted text>No need for name calling however I do agree on a teen center of some sort. Council help the teens, give them a place to go. GCS building would have made a great skating rink or center for that!
Then rent it and open it up! If these kids were interested in a skating rink or a teen center enough for it to pay the bills to keep it open, somebody would do it. If a private business can't make it, why waste my tax money on a building nobody will use. Look at how much we loose at the wave pool. Raise your own kids, not the town.
Booger

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Leave the geese alone darn it.
Bill

Sykesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

We love our geese!
Jasper

Glade Spring, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Leave the geese alone they are better then a dam golf course
Dilly

Chilhowie, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Callie wrote:
<quoted text>
Then rent it and open it up! If these kids were interested in a skating rink or a teen center enough for it to pay the bills to keep it open, somebody would do it. If a private business can't make it, why waste my tax money on a building nobody will use. Look at how much we loose at the wave pool. Raise your own kids, not the town.
1. You're probably right; the local kids have never seen such a thing and might be wary of a trap.

2. I like Mike and his 'what-who-me?!' grin. Figure if anyone who has Saltville to deal with can crack a grin at all, there's still hope. Or he's gone completely off the deep end--either way, I like him.

3. The geese? As long as you have ponds and wetlands, you'll have geese, ducks, cranes, egrets and whatever wants to rest, nest and run. They can spend all they want to on that piddling little golf course, I'll bet on the birds. Only in Saltville could a natural habitat set aside for birds get taken over by golfers... Does anyone else remember when it was something like a preserve for birds, or am I just losing it?

'
Mike was

Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Mike was a person to be trusted and admired,
before he got the Town Manager's job.

Now he is just another liar and we have plenty of
those here in Saltville.

Judging by his looks, health, and connections to
the dirtied local officers and rescue squad chief.
Wonder if he is involved in the
"Ring of corruption" ?

Time may tell !
the vulture

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Well it looks like they forgot the six geese that govern the town. Should have got them and some at the town hall because they've sh!t on the town citizens more and longer than the geese.
mcallister

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

bswhy wrote:
I think they should leave them alone. I go down there just to watch them.
I think they're disgusting. You can't sit or walk without getting crap all over you.
really

Chilhowie, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

You're a special kind of person just to sit around and watch those nasty birds crap everywhere. Must be watching them from your kayak!!!!
Mark witt

Newland, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

The birds are Canada geese, not Canadian geese.
Shell

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2014

You know...I'm originally from Canada, living in Saltville. The Canada goose problem is not as bad here as I've seen it - but back in Canada we have a hunting season for these birds...just sayin'.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Saltville Forum right now

Search the Saltville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
ring gurl 1 hr Kfc 5
Rector Air Conditioning 2 hr hahahaha 4
glade rescue squad 2 hr whatnow 18
Mayor 5 hr Who cares 8
who likes matt schmink aka bear 22 hr just wondering 1
Getting rid of a child /man 22 hr Fed Up 1
Back at CHS Wed League itch 2
•••
•••