Northwood Highschool Prom Rule?

Northwood Highschool Prom Rule?

Posted in the Saltville Forum

Northwood Student

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 27, 2013
So accordin to Stan Dunham no 8th graders are allowed at Northwood's prom... Yet they allow students to bring dates well into their 20's as long as they fill out a form. That seems unfair to me. What's the difference between a 16 year-old bringin a 22 year-old and a 17 year-old bringin a 14 year-old. That's just messed up. Dunham also claims that this has always been the rule since Northwood's inception... Yet I know people who went their 8th grade year... Also it's only Northwood's rule. Not the school board's. All other schools in the county would allow it. What the hell? Why does it even matter? Would look like if the 8th grader was asked then they'd be allowed to go. What's everyone else's thoughts on this?
thoughts

Elizabethton, TN

#2 Jan 27, 2013
They let an 8th grader play sports at NHS. The prom is just a dance. The SCA PRESIDENT needs to ask for a ruling on this from the school board. Since we do not have an after prom anymore what is the big deal?
no prom fun

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Jan 27, 2013
the prom and after prom used to be fun. Not any more. Have to go out of town for that too.
Hmmm

Nashville, TN

#4 Jan 27, 2013
thoughts wrote:
They let an 8th grader play sports at NHS. The prom is just a dance. The SCA PRESIDENT needs to ask for a ruling on this from the school board. Since we do not have an after prom anymore what is the big deal?
HIgh school grades are typically freshman through senior. Eighth graders are seen as middle school kids to those in high school. It's kind of like having someone's little brother or sister hanging out where they're not really welcome. Plus, who would want their eighth grade child going to a prom meant for older kids? They have four more years for their time. Don't cramp their style and go watch the cartoon channel.
Nortwood Stuent

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 27, 2013
According to Stan Dunham that's their rule and always has been. Doen't seem remotely fair. We pay for the prom anyway. Should it really matter if we want to bring someone a bit younger? At least they'd still be a student. Not an adult going with a teenager as a couple. I say the students should just have our own prom away from Dunham and the school's unfair rules...
Nortwood Stuent

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 27, 2013
At some places the grades for highschool are 8th through 12th actually. And some 8th graders are the same age as the 9th graders are. There isn't any real difference. And there are at least 2 couple I know of involving an 11th grade guy and an 8th grade girl... Is that rule really fair to them?
Grounded

Rockville, MD

#7 Jan 27, 2013
Nw student, you must be a 17 yr old wanting to bring a 14 yr old to prom huh? Go find someone your own age.
Northwood Student

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 27, 2013
"Grounded" - Actually no I'm not. But two of my good freinds are in that same situation. I don't see how that small age difference is of any significance. Explain it for me. Can you?

"AAA" - The Puckett family are good people. And close freinds of mine. I like that you hide behind the screen to trash people though. Pathetic. Get a life of your own and stop trash talkin people who aren't here to defend themselves
Grounded

Rockville, MD

#10 Jan 28, 2013
I would love to explain it to you but that something your parents should be doing, I have my own kids to raise, sorry!
The Judge

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 28, 2013
14 and 15 year olds shouldn't be dating period. And certainly not dating 17 or older.
AAA

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jan 28, 2013
Northwood Student wrote:
"Grounded" - Actually no I'm not. But two of my good freinds are in that same situation. I don't see how that small age difference is of any significance. Explain it for me. Can you?
"AAA" - The Puckett family are good people. And close freinds of mine. I like that you hide behind the screen to trash people though. Pathetic. Get a life of your own and stop trash talkin people who aren't here to defend themselves
Whos hiding behind a screen name "northwood student". middle school drama
Northwood Student

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jan 30, 2013
"The Judge" - Why would 14-15 year-olds not date? They're old enough at that point to start having some freedom and make some decisions

"AAA" - I'm actually in the highschool. Not middle. And yeah I'm going to keep my name private for now. But I don't hide my name to trash people when they aren't even here to defend themselves. Seems like a coward's move to me. Wouldn't you agree?
Stupid

Knoxville, TN

#14 Jan 30, 2013
I think it's stupid for middle school kids to go to the prom. A 14 year old has no business DATING!!!!! No wonder there are so many pregnant 14 year olds these days.... The prom USED to be a special even that JRs and srs looked forward to- now, it's just a big ole 2012-13 version of romper room.

14 year olds should NOT be at prom. GO MR DUNHAM!!!!!

Since: Feb 13

United States

#15 Feb 12, 2013
First off, only juniors and seniors are allowed to go to prom unless you are asked. If you are older than it is acceptable because they have graduated and are mature enough. Eighth graders are too immature to be allowed to go to an event like this.
Secondly, this has been the rule since Dunham's arrival. It hasn't been changed, and yes they still do have an after prom. That is only two people that are being affected by this rule, why ruin it for everyone else going? If they can't take their dates then just don't go. Spend time with them on their own. Stop being ridiculous.
Lastly, if high schoolers aren't allowed to middle school dances what makes you think the high school would allow middle schoolers. As said above, they have time. Calm down and let the high schoolers actually enjoy prom.
CMS Parent

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Feb 12, 2013
I think that, as a parent of an 8th grader, this is extremely fair to all concerned. Keeps the middle schoolers safe and keeps the high schoolers out of as much trouble too. Good call Mr. Dunham. We should have enough sense as parents to stop this before Mr. Dunham has to be asked. Think about how much growing up goes on between 14 years and 17 years, and no I don't mean physically, I mean mentally.
silly

Elizabethton, TN

#19 Mar 26, 2013
The prom is no place for an th grader. Keep the MS kids away from the high school. They learn bad habits soon enough. How many girls have sex for the first time on prom night?
curious

Knoxville, TN

#20 Mar 26, 2013
Your_stupid wrote:
First off, only juniors and seniors are allowed to go to prom unless you are asked. If you are older than it is acceptable because they have graduated and are mature enough. Eighth graders are too immature to be allowed to go to an event like this.
Secondly, this has been the rule since Dunham's arrival. It hasn't been changed, and yes they still do have an after prom. That is only two people that are being affected by this rule, why ruin it for everyone else going? If they can't take their dates then just don't go. Spend time with them on their own. Stop being ridiculous.
Lastly, if high schoolers aren't allowed to middle school dances what makes you think the high school would allow middle schoolers. As said above, they have time. Calm down and let the high schoolers actually enjoy prom.
They are having an after prom this year?? Who is doing it and where?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saltville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Da Druggie Garage On Buckeye Street 9 hr Clean It Up 4
Hottest Guy 9 hr Connor 1
Name your top 5 bands ever. 9 hr You Are Missing Life 3
Football 9 hr Coach that Quit 13
The High School 9 hr Hail Fare 59
Open air dope dealing Sun Mustard Or Not 6
Rich valley fair (Aug '16) Sun Huff Kook 64

Saltville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance