Revitaliztion draws tourists to Saltsburg

Nov 14, 2007 | Posted by: TrojanHorse | Full story: www.pittsburghlive.com

Jack Maguire stands in front of a boarded-up, nondescript building with dirty white vinyl siding on Point Street, known locally as the "Mule Barn." But this is no ordinary dilapidated structure.

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Apr 9, 2012
Jack

New Castle, PA

#1 Nov 14, 2007
This is only going to benefit a few special interests groups, not the borough. Since the borough only collects taxes on property and wages, the borough coffers will not benefit at all.

Even with increased sales for businesses, the borough does not collect a business tax. Add to that that most business owners and their employees do not live in town, their wage taxes go to another community, not Saltsburg: Shop n Save, Sorellos, Foxes, the video store, the barber shop, Keystone Rehap, the laundromat, the chiropractor, and so on. So unless the council is willing to take some aggressive and forward thinking actions, all Saltsburg will see is more people in town. But they won't 'cause they don't want to affect their friends and relatives like PJ Hruska, PJ Brown's, NAPA, and other in-home businesses owned by relatives like the dry cleaners. As long as there is a backwards council, the boro will only go backwards.

And Maguire, he who lives in glass houses... Take a look at the properties you own before you crtisize someone else.
Mr Saltsburg

United States

#2 Nov 15, 2007
Jack wrote:
This is only going to benefit a few special interests groups, not the borough. Since the borough only collects taxes on property and wages, the borough coffers will not benefit at all. Even with increased sales for businesses, the borough does not collect a business tax.
Saltsburg is not Pittsburgh nor does it have the volume of businesses to make enough difference, business taxes in small communities tend to close tiny businesses. Though thought provoking, not sure its for S-burg.
Jack wrote:
Add to that that most business owners and their employees do not live in town, their wage taxes go to another community, not Saltsburg: Shop n Save, Sorellos, Foxes, the video store, the barber shop, Keystone Rehap, the laundromat, the chiropractor, and so on..
So what...I think a better point is that these people have invested into our community and have generated revenue ...at least enough to survive and draw more people to the area. It's not just about taxes.
Jack wrote:
So unless the council is willing to take some aggressive and forward thinking actions, all Saltsburg will see is more people in town..

Isn't the whole article about how individuals are historically charming up Saltsburg to draw more people to the area. The history of that area goes back to 1769 and that alone speaks volumes. There are people moving to our town from Pittsburgh becasue of it's charm & history and they have as much motivation as Jack Maguire to make even small changes.....unlike alot of the local cry babies and politicans.
Jack wrote:
And Maguire, he who lives in glass houses... Take a look at the properties you own before you crtisize someone else.
I own properties in Saltsburg, what exactly am I suppose to look for, Real Estate taxes comparible to Murraysville, or 7% sales tax on busniess transactions like in Pittsburgh, or 5% wage tax like Philly....Saltsburg has its internal problems but there are changes occuring by individuals willing to invest their time and $$. I respect Jack Maguire for that and others that follow.

You can't expect a town to survive without local businesses drawing in people. The days of the salt mines, the coal mines, the glass works, the foundrys, the RR, the flour mill are gone....what's left are small businesses for the locals and some people willing to invest in our town and repair their properties historically so in the future, there will be a reason for visiting our town and possibly moving there to escape high city taxes bringing in new ideas. A hand full of people have started to migrate to our area for that reason. Give it some time to fix the political problems and flush out the old regime.
Jack

New Castle, PA

#3 Nov 15, 2007
Your arguments are valid, to a point. Businesses here seem to want all the benefits without the responsibility. I cite specifically the "comfort station" on the canal. That is paid for with tax payer money. It is used by "tourists" who spend money at local businesses, some of which DO NOT provide rest rooms to customers, Glassmart being a prime example. That being said, I think a .5% business tax is reasonable. They should share the responsibility. The residents cannot continue to support the non-residents. But as long as any of the businesses are owned by friends and relatives of council, this will never happen.
WTF

Mckeesport, PA

#4 Nov 15, 2007
I can't believe that these idiots are going to try and restore this shithole!! I see rats and possums and skunks and stray cats and just about everything u could imagine run out of this place every night!! If i wasn't such a good guy i'd burn it down, speaking of that? why hasn't it been torched yet. If the fire chief or his officers had any balls that place would have been torn down years ago.
I love when people come to my house from out of town during Canal Days and look over and say "what is that shithole" and I say "ur in historic Saltsburg"!! WTF is so historic about a bunch of wood and paint where animals live?
Who are these morons running this town that allow these tree huggers to let this place stand, WOW!! they tore down the back of it after how long? Every time I walk out of my house i have to look at that shithole and say why the F#$% do I live here!
John

New Castle, PA

#5 Nov 15, 2007
Blame the borough. They let it sit for nearly 15 years without doing any upkeep/maintenance. THEY let it rot and now we have to stare at it. Though I believe in preserving history, this is one time to let it go and start anew.
pop

Blairsville, PA

#12 Apr 8, 2012
this is working out good
Townspeople Inc

Wilmerding, PA

#13 Apr 9, 2012
pop wrote:
this is working out good
WTF is Townspeople Inc????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saltsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Purchase Line 58 Saltsburg 19 7 hr tonto2 2
Saltsburg vs Purchase Line Fri Chris 6
Saltsburg Football one week away Aug 28 tonto2 19
Saltsburg PTA (Aug '12) Aug 28 crystal 292
Are the bells at Kiski broken? Aug 26 John 2
Drug suspect got $9K raise from Westmoreland Co... (May '13) Aug 23 BAM 185
Saltsburg Football tow a days begins today Aug 22 Chris 11
•••
•••
Saltsburg Dating