What type of business are lacking in ...

What type of business are lacking in the Salton City area?

Posted in the Salton City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Juan

United States

#1 Sep 23, 2008
What type of businesses would you like to see in the Salton Sea area?

1. Video Store
2. Taxi or bus service
3. Walmart
4. Video Arcade
5. Computer Repair
6. Firewood Lot
7. Craft Supplies
8. Home Repair Service
9. Hair Salon
10. BBQ Restaurant.
Diana

United States

#2 Oct 3, 2008
Juan wrote:
What type of businesses would you like to see in the Salton Sea area?
1. Video Store
2. Taxi or bus service
3. Walmart
4. Video Arcade
5. Computer Repair
6. Firewood Lot
7. Craft Supplies
8. Home Repair Service
9. Hair Salon
10. BBQ Restaurant.
There is a Video Store in Salton City and a Hair Salon just open recently in Salton City as well. Lastly, there is Dial a Ride Services in Salton City area. As for the rest I can not hardly wait. WinCo is what I would like to add though!

“I'm a Multifacted Personality ”

Since: Nov 07

West Shores of the Salton Sea

#3 Oct 3, 2008
the Dial a Ride cost will go up in Nov to $2.50 on one way here in town, as was told to me by SCSD Ast GM, that will make a round trip on the WestShores $5.00, I'm not sure what the price to El Centro and back will be on the Wednesday's when they do that trip.
Long Time Resident

United States

#4 Oct 7, 2008
Hardware store/supplies, dog grooming and maybe even reliable car repair/supplies are a few things that come to mind!
MooMoo

United States

#5 Oct 8, 2008
Well Folks, you better start taking out loans and help build the community. Don't keep wish for it, work at getting it. Everybody want some one else to put money up, but those who want, want, want DON'T WANT TO USE THEIR MONEY!!!! We have had 7 of the 10 business on Mr. Juan list but they all fell apart cause the community didnt support them. Look our 99Cent store recently closed, they say "there not enough people in our community of THE WEST SHORES to support them". Then we have business that think there in the big city and will make the money they invested back witin 6(six) month to a year. GET REAL .If you want new business support the ones we have and lets grow from there.
SUPPORT YOUR WEST SHORE BUSINESSES !!!!
Juan

AOL

#6 Oct 8, 2008
Thank you for your responses. I am moving to Salton City and I am planning to invest my own money in my business. I am kind of leaning towards a firewood lot, or hardware store. Let me know what you think. I am not coming out to make tons of money but only to live a peaceful life making an honest living while serving the community in a positive way. Money is the root of all evil, and I will never put that above the good of the people, friends and relatives. In this day and age with everything going on in the world we need to open our eyes to what is really important to us, and what really warms our hearts. thank you
West Shores Local Events

Lucerne Valley, CA

#7 Oct 9, 2008
Go for the Hardware Store, we could use one badly here. 47 miles to Home Depot is rough. Fire wood lot I will say might not go over to well here, but I'm not sure... I'd buy wood from ya! Thats how I heat my home in the winter.
Juan wrote:
Thank you for your responses. I am moving to Salton City and I am planning to invest my own money in my business. I am kind of leaning towards a firewood lot, or hardware store. Let me know what you think. I am not coming out to make tons of money but only to live a peaceful life making an honest living while serving the community in a positive way. Money is the root of all evil, and I will never put that above the good of the people, friends and relatives. In this day and age with everything going on in the world we need to open our eyes to what is really important to us, and what really warms our hearts. thank you
Long Time Resident

United States

#8 Oct 10, 2008
Juan, I wish you luck in whatever business you decide to invest in -- however, we do live on the desert (firewood, in my thinking, would not be a good choice). However, I do agree with the hardware store idea, MOST WHOLEHEARTEDLY!
As for the 99-cent store failing, they did not stock replenishible items. You buy a dish once, you buy stationery supplies once (maybe) every six months. They should have stocked items that people replenish on a regular basis.
I visited several times hoping to help them survive, but there really was nothing I could replace, or really wanted to spend my money on as a one-time purchase.
I did go in there once to specifically to buy a gift bag for a special occaision, which was a great help; but that was a one time occurance. The other times I went in there, there really was nothing I wanted to spend my money on.
The 99-cent stores 'in town' actually stock quality items for 99 cents -- I didn't feel this store did that.
Their other problem was that they opened at the
END OF THE SEASON and expected to be able to make it through the summer when no one is around, and basically no locals go out shopping.
They just expected to much to soon. I really do feel sorry for them, because if they could have hung on another year and paid attention to the clantels' suggestions, they really could have survived.
j third

New Orleans, LA

#9 Oct 14, 2008
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A WALMART, HOME DEPOT AND AN AMERICAN CHAIN SUPERMARKET, THIS WOULD BE A GOOD START FOR US THAT LIVE HERE AND FOR MORE JOBS IN THE AREA. THANK YOU
Long Time Resident

Roy, WA

#10 Oct 17, 2008
J third --
You are not going to get WalMart, Home Depot, or a Major grocery store until we have a population.
GET REAL!
The small business'es are the ones that are going to start to build this community. i.e.- Juan's idea of supplying the thing that we really need right now.(He creates a few jobs, provides a service to the residents, and makes a comfortable living for himself).
Those of us that have lived here for years, believing in this area, know that the SMALL CONVENIENCES ARE WHAT WE WANT!
We are used to driving 30+ miles to the large box store, to WalMart, and the large grocery stores.
It's really nice, I think, to have a local grocery store that ACTUALLY has fresh produce and excellent meat (American or Not). Where did you get that idea? Because the name is Solamar?????
My only criticizim is that the bread selection does not expand to include French, Sourdough, and etc.
Just because a business has a Hispanic sounding name should not exclude it from local business! WE DO LIVE ONLY 50 MILES FROM THE BORDER!!
Juan

AOL

#11 Oct 23, 2008
J third,

I agree with you, as a major chain store will not come to the area without a population. I went into the Solimar store and found it very convenient and they still had space inside to expand. Business is a learning process and we as consumers need to let the owner know what we would like to see and what we really need. They have room for a small hardware section which would benefit all.
My thoughts about the Salton Sea before I came here. There are so many bad things that are said about the area. Just about everything you look up is about plaques, dead fish, smell, druggies and theivery. We all need to give things a chance and most of these bad comments are from people that have never been here, or have only been here a long time ago. We need to create a positive image of the area. We need to green it up and that we need to do it on a personal basis. We need to make the area inviting, then the people will come. Post beautiful pictures of what you have online and they will overpower the negative.

Juan
Long Time Resident

United States

#12 Oct 26, 2008
J third -- if you move here knowing there is none of YOUR conveniences here then you can only wish, for a very long time.
Juan, is right -- you PERSONALLY can help this area get a population (and those stores on your 'wishlist') by responding to the negative press, the bad publicity, and spreading the news about THE GREAT SUNSETS, THE WONDER OF SEEING A SKY FULL OF STARS AT NIGHT, AND THE SIMPLICITY OF ACTUALLY KNOWING YOUR NEIGHBORS!
The small business that approaches this area with the basic needs in mind, have patience (the money to survive the lean parts of the year), AND a love for this area will be the basics to bring a popluation here. Once that happens -- then you will get your 'wishlist stores!'
NCalTransplant

United States

#13 Nov 3, 2008
Really, people actually want WalMarts?
Long Time Resident

United States

#14 Nov 3, 2008
WalMart will come when you get the population. You will get the population by promoting the area -- the state sure won't do it. THEY CAN'T EVEN DEECIDE ON A BUDGET UNTIL THE FISCAL YEAR IS ALMOST HALF OVER!!!!!!!!!
The Daily Informer

United States

#15 Nov 6, 2008
Juan, If you want to know some of the reasons why a lot of people haven't moved here, i.e. why we don't have a big customer base, then go to www.saltonseawest.com or www.saltonseafarer.com

Small towns have a great appeal to a lot of people but not when the local government is so corrupt and incompetent. What this town really needs is an efficient, intelligent, MORAL local government and associated management.

BTW, don't get sick or hurt here, the Volunteer Fire Department is staffed by some great volunteers but they are undertrained (if trained at all) and are managed by some real ditwads.

Good luck in your ventures
observer

United States

#16 Nov 6, 2008
barrett, as the daily informer, just can,t resist acting like a little child and resort to name calling. His web site is nothing but name calling and baseless bull. Dribble on little man

#17 Nov 6, 2008
The Daily Informer wrote:
BTW, don't get sick or hurt here, the Volunteer Fire Department is staffed by some great volunteers but they are undertrained (if trained at all) and are managed by some real ditwads.
*Editor hat OFF*

Jimbo Jimbo Jimbo
When you wrote your piece of crap about the SCFD that night while drinking your beer and tapping on your keys, the SCFD Firefighter's were out on a TC with 4 casualties at the Checkpoint, with 60 mile an hour winds whipping sand in their faces, they worked to remove people out of their crushed car and get them transported to hospitals.

SCFD Firefighters are trained and have continuing training every month, training is on a Saturday I believe.

As a scsd director Jimmy, you getting involved in the day to day operations is a big no no, but you never learn, and won't I gather.

If you as a Director had a problem with Fire Services, then you could have added that to the time when the scsd board sat and talked over the fire Contract with the County, but here you are again a day late a several dollars short.

Jimmy, some of the things you see are correct, but the way you bring them out, is a definite power over play, look at what McCain did during this election, and figure out what I'm saying.

And if you want to bitch and moan about the SCFD and you seem to know it all, and how it should be done, then may I suggest that you get up off your dead arse, put on some turnouts and but your life right on the line with the rest of those that answered the call.

If not, then just shut up, because if your gonna piss into a bowl of cornflakes, then by Gods, let it be your own bowl!

Enuf said!

*Editor hat ON*
Long Time Resident

United States

#18 Nov 6, 2008
Daily Informer,
WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? The topic was about missing conveniences!
Any chance to criticize local government, right?
The SCFD has a great group of volunteers manning it -- that is the point, VOLUNTEERS!
They spend a lot of hours in training, getting their required (higher A/B) driver's licenses, and being available for local functions -- without even mentioning their being present (long before the ambulance) on medical aids, fire calls and traffic accidents.
While you are sitting at home in the middle of the night on your computer critcisizing them, THEY are out there on the highway (in unbeleivalble weather) helping people in a traffic accident (and that includes the 'ditwad' administration you feel so free to call names)!
Get a life and DO rather than criticize and sit on your posterier and type BULL!
The Daily Informer

United States

#19 Nov 7, 2008
The denial of the SCSD cover-ups continues.

"If you let government continually cover things up, then the government will continually up the cover"

#20 Nov 7, 2008
In the words of our on SCSD Village Idiot: Yada Yada Yada

Your term in office is almost over that the Gods!
The Daily Informer wrote:
The denial of the SCSD cover-ups continues.
"If you let government continually cover things up, then the government will continually up the cover"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salton City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Earthquake: 3.5 quake strikes near Borrego Spri... Aug 9 LSMFT 1
News Magnitude 5.2 earthquake rattles Southern Calif... Jun '16 okimar 1
News As California's Largest Lake Evaporates, A Coun... May '16 Three Psyche 3
Consuelo Falomir (Apr '15) Nov '15 Harvey Dent 3
$100 Starbucks Gift Card FREE (Oct '12) Aug '15 chula 3
dead fish clean-up (Jul '15) Jul '15 Drew kline 1
New owners of Captn Jim's in Salton City (May '15) May '15 Mary Butler 1

Salton City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance