Why Worry About Legacy?

Posted in the Salton City Forum

SaltonLee

United States

#1 Aug 22, 2009
Perhaps the saddest moment in Salton City history, as it applies to bursting of the California Riviera, must be the devastating loss of the Salton Bay Yacht Club. There was a movement in architecture known as “Googie” where buildings were designed with geometric patterns, soaring rooflines, and “atomic” themes. The Salton Bay Yacht Club with its spire-like roof was an iconic building that deserved protection and restoration like Jennie Kelly is doing with the Pop Deluxe themed North Shore Yacht Club. Pop Deluxe architecture allowed the building to represent a thing that the building was about…such as a hot dog stand that looked like a hot dog or a yacht club that looked like a yacht. Other gems demand being saved. The Administrative Services building in Salton City, built by M. Penn Phillips in the glorious roll out of Salton City, merits attention before it deteriorates so much that it must be bulldozed. It is architecturally and historically significant. The Desert Shores Marina screams out to be a museum, cultural center, and interpretive center for the Salton Sea. I imagine what the Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians could do with such an amazing structure that is 100% Googie. Personally, I have been given the freedom to renew and revitalize the West Shores Chamber of Commerce building in Salton City. The lobby of this boomerang-shaped Googie delight now sports a “museum makeover” with 25 framed historic displays, the first phase in a multipart renewal of the building to include a mural and a peace garden honoring our veterans, the 9-11 survivors, and the goal of protecting and preserving peace. I’ve also gotten half way through the build up of the Salton Skyport a WiFi hub inside the WSCC building with computers generously donated by Best, Best, and Krieger LLC. SOON, the community and travelers through the area will have instantaneous Internet service in the WSCC lobby. Let’s set a tone of hope as we seek ways to take the “Saltoncommunities” forward. If you’re in Salton City, go see the WSCC lobby. It will knock your socks off.
Atlas Shrugged

United States

#2 Aug 22, 2009
Your last comment talks of moving forward, yet in your comments you hint that the SCSD district office should be restored.

The district office is a deathtrap to it's employees and any member of the public that enters it.

The block construction building is not up to California earthquake building standards and is an accident waiting to happen.

All but one of the Directors on the Board of Directors turn a blind eye to this, and when the lone realist Director talks in public about this deathtrap, the other Directors quickly shush that Director. And not out of it not being true, but out of a desire to escape accountability when the inevitible happens and life is lost in that condemnable structure.

It's time for the Board to get their thumb outta their bum and find a way to secure alternate headquarters. It can be done, and it must be done, sooner or later.

The Board needs to do it sooner before someone dies there.

The truth hurts, and so will your head when that building comes crashing down on it in an earthquake.

The public has been warned:

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Intro to Communications

Rosamond, CA

#3 Aug 23, 2009
Here's yet another barrett post... blah blah blah. barrett have you gotten to the ethics class for your paralegal training yet?
Atlas Shrugged wrote:
Your last comment talks of moving forward, yet in your comments you hint that the SCSD district office should be restored.
The district office is a deathtrap to it's employees and any member of the public that enters it.
The block construction building is not up to California earthquake building standards and is an accident waiting to happen.
All but one of the Directors on the Board of Directors turn a blind eye to this, and when the lone realist Director talks in public about this deathtrap, the other Directors quickly shush that Director. And not out of it not being true, but out of a desire to escape accountability when the inevitible happens and life is lost in that condemnable structure.
It's time for the Board to get their thumb outta their bum and find a way to secure alternate headquarters. It can be done, and it must be done, sooner or later.
The Board needs to do it sooner before someone dies there.
The truth hurts, and so will your head when that building comes crashing down on it in an earthquake.
The public has been warned:
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
In the Know

United States

#4 Aug 23, 2009
The little man stands alone. I don't think their are two people out there who agree with barrett. The little man is a legend in his own mind.
AKA SCSD Director Barrett

United States

#5 Aug 24, 2009
Read and see for yourself at:

www.saltonseawest.com
Intro to Communications

United States

#6 Aug 24, 2009
barrett its the same stuff on that page that has been there forever, so that's your legacy: misinformation, prejudice, bias, and stereotyping. Sounds like a typical politician to me. I'm just amazed that you think taking a paralegal course will give you any credibility. I’m even more amazed that you’re running for re-election, and you think you’re going to win. Have you been drinking your own kool-aid again.

United States

#7 Aug 24, 2009
What planet are you from "Intro".

United States

#10 Aug 24, 2009
AKA SCSD Director Barrett wrote:
What planet are you from "Intro".
Nevermind... I can't name the one I'm on.

United States

#11 Aug 24, 2009
Put your mind where your (big) mouth is "Intro".
Give an example of the "misinformation, prejudice, bias, and stereotyping" that you claim that Director Barrett is putting out.
You can't can you? Or are you just afraid that the facts will prove you wrong?
I'll give you the correct answer: Everytime I open my big mouth.

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2009
What classes have I taken lately "Intro"?
Was it "Porking the Community 101"? or "how to build a hate filled and lame website"?
We already know I majored in both "pathelogical lying" and "Indentity Theft".
See now you know the truth about Director Barrett- Vote for me in November for four more years of the same CRAP, we are after all a SEWER District!
barretts ugly wife

United States

#16 Aug 25, 2009
boo hoo don't forget me, I'm a victim too....
barretts ugly wife

United States

#18 Aug 26, 2009
you are so wrong LOL about who I am. What a stupid man.
Intro to Communications

United States

#19 Aug 27, 2009
your a wussy, we know that

“I'm a Multifacted Personality ”

Since: Nov 07

West Shores of the Salton Sea

#20 Aug 27, 2009
This thread is so ridiculous. I have better things to do with my time Director Barrett. I'm saddened that in the last few years you still haven't learned a damn thing.

The Community needs help, I mean real help, not your brand of help.

I equate you with fly season here on the Salton Sea, it's a nuisance and very annoying, kind of like your life in office. But both season's are coming to an end very soon.
Westside of 86

Newington, VA

#22 Aug 30, 2009
What are the hours of the WSCC? The Skyport would be an awesome tool for all community members to take advantage of. I was saddened to learn that Solimar is closing, too many businesses w/o enough clientele. Prices are also an issue, as many residents would rather eat the cost in gas and maintenance to shop in Indio, El Centro or PDesert than shop for essentials in town. I wonder if it'd be possible for the shop owners to provide a dicount for residents to patronize their stores. Keep money locally and all of that.

On a different tangent, I believe it is time for our city park to be considered for renovation. The pool facilities and play areas are outdated, and for a community that regularly sees summer temps climbing to 110+, I think it would be good to provide some relief for our residents. Now, I understand that the budget crisis is affecting all of us, but consider the alternative. If the community elected leadership neglects the needs of the people, the people can exercise the option to leave.

United States

#23 Aug 30, 2009
Within one year of being elected, Director Barrett led, and chaired, the formation of the SCSD Community Recreational Commission, which analyzed the current and long term recreational needs of the Salton Community Services District.

Despite the efforts of Commission Members Imari-Sherrie Love-Nuyen (Salton City’s TOPIX editor) and her husband John Kariotis to derail the Commissions report, by resigning in an attempt to stop the meetings because of a lack of a quorum, the remaining Commission Members under Director Barrett’s leadership, still managed to complete it’s comprehensive report of the “industry standard” recreational requirements of the district.

Their report, which has been referenced by several public and private entities in their effort to ascertain the needs of their own communities, can be downloaded by clicking this link:

http://www.saltonseawest.com/xcorereporttoboa...

This report will be just as relevant ten years from now as it is today, but unfortunately the current Board of Directors has been stuck in the past, with their heads buried in the sand, afraid to greet the future.

Director Barrett’s goal in creating the Recreational Commission was to start planning now for a better Park System for our future. Unfortunately he is still alone in his efforts.
Westside of 86

Virginia Beach, VA

#24 Jan 20, 2010
As an unincorporated community of Imperial County, shouldn't the parks issue be directed to the County Supervisor responsible for our little slice of paradise? If, as a community, petitioned along with our other West Shores neighbors, we could take our position to the county seat.

Our community is old, but that shouldn't mean it should be left behind. My two cents.

I know emotions run deep in this community, use the past as a reference to make better decisions for the future. Flame wars on the internet only serve to alienate people and stoke fading fires.
Adam

Brawley, CA

#25 Jan 21, 2010
fa/ggot GTFO the internet if you don't want flamewarz

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salton City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What type of business are lacking in the Salton... (Sep '08) Dec '14 Samfromflorida 22
I want to buy cheap land near the salton sea (Nov '08) Dec '14 Samfromflorida 32
Imperial County Sheriff's Deputies involved in ... (Apr '14) Oct '14 Salton city 46
Another man busted smuggling heroin in shoes (May '14) May '14 karma 1
'Joey Junior Ceser' (Aug '11) Dec '13 Kmp 4
Fish Clean Up March 10, 2007 (Mar '09) Oct '13 Senmut 5
Ducks (May '13) Aug '13 Serrano Red 4
Salton City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Salton City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News