Public Contract Code Violated

Public Contract Code Violated

Posted in the Salton City Forum

NOSE AND THROAT

United States

#1 Nov 1, 2007
This NOSE smells something rotten at the Salton Community Services District and this THROAT is going to tell you all about it!

HEADLINE:
"General Manager Violates Public Contract Code"

Go to www.saltonseawest.com for the full story of yet another example of "improper" SCSD conduct.

It's simple...if a project costs more than $25,000 it must go out to bid...period!
lazy me

AOL

#2 Nov 2, 2007
not really,
make two smaller projects out of it.
I did contracting bids before I gots shot my the mafia, and went to hell, and it is a valid work issue.

by the way, buthead, get a real life and go live somewhere else, so we can enjoy out stinky sewers....were tired of your bullshit.
NOSE AND THROAT

United States

#3 Nov 2, 2007
"Who WE Whiteman?"

Let's see...I want to build a new city hall....first I'll pay someone less than $25,000 to pour the slab....then someone else less than $25,000 to build the walls....wait, I think I need a roof too, better pay someone else less than $25,000 to put that on....cool, it was three projects at less than $25,000 each so I didn't have to put it out to bid (I didn't even have to pay my workers prevailing wage)....

"lazy me", you are so intellectually dishonest in regards to this matter.....
Not Listening to Hear-say

United States

#4 Nov 3, 2007
Mr-s' McGuire & Holland:
Up to now you have both appeared to be in the same court - both touting 'recent information from Director Barrett.'
I just read recent news on SaltonSeaWest and cannot honestly determine who is in the right.
One of you boasts how bad the Salton sewer ponds are and that something MUST be done. The other critisizes the District for taking the most time economical way of fixing the current situation.
Let us know -- do either of you honestly want a solution, or are you just looking for a forum for your ranting???(I personnaly believe you are one-in-the-same person).
As a voter paying property taxes I would say 'Whatever it takes to fix the problem in the most economical mannner.'
Understanding what you are saying about project costs -- isn't fencing (required by law) totally seperate from the actual cost of building?
Dust control(water tank rental)that will also have to be in place during the actual construction of the permanent ponds a seperate on-going issue?
Were either dust control or fencing included in the original bid for permanent pond expansion back in May or June of this year? If not, then your project cost issue has no bearing!
NOSE AND THROAT

United States

#5 Nov 3, 2007
Economical is always good...but doing it legal is better.

Of course the problem needs to be fixed, but it has to be done legally. There are many reasons why the State Legislature has made public works laws. It is not for you or me or the SCSD Board or General Manager to question what the legislature has mandated. The law is the law, period.

Public Contract Code 20682.5 does not refer to specific individual contract prices exceeding $25,000, it refers to the cost of the "improvement" as a whole. All of the costs involved in getting the interim sewer pond built and operational is one "improvement".

The costs to date are well over $50,000. The law says that it needed to go out to bid. I'm sure that the SCSD's legal council would agree if asked. But the GM has a track record of not asking the laywers questions that he already knows (and doesn't like) the answer to.

No bid has been let for the new sewer ponds yet. One was advertised for back in June but was cancelled because of the possible need for a change in the scope of work.

Not Listening to Hear-say said:
"As a voter paying property taxes I would say 'Whatever it takes to fix the problem in the most economical mannner'"

"Not Listening" didn't include the phrase "and legal". I'm sure that was because its a foregone conclusion that things should be done legally.

So lets hold the SCSD's feet to the fire and demand that they follow the law...even if it's not the most economical way of doing it.
EYES AND EARS

Hereford, AZ

#6 Nov 5, 2007
For I have been to the Moratorium Lifter. I can see what Mr. Barrett is talking about;
1- Too get to it one needs a road.
2- Dust control one would need water.
3- Too get started the site needs to be cleared.
4- Too do the Digging, One would need a Fence to keep people out.
I can see running the water out to the site as One Job from Rain for Rent as One job. I can see putting up a fence by another company as the second.
The building of a road, clearing of the site, digging of the pits, running water trucks are all one company basically one job.
Now comes the UNSMART thing the SCSD allowed. Our Volunteer Fire Fighters and Fire Fighting Equipment to be used on the Job Site. SCSD equipment and PERSONELL to be taken away from their regular duties too work on the JOB SITE.
If you go to a company that does this for a living, you will find that the above is correct.
They will not let you or your company step in for INSURANCE REASONS. Not to mention that if a pond leaks a battle would arise from the Insurance Companies as to who did what!
Too place our Employees on the job site, and Volunteer fire fighters and equipment doing any kind of work for another Company and getting paid regular salary is illegal. It like the Marines fighting along with Blackwater who do the same job but are PAID more.
Imari Love

AOL

#7 Nov 8, 2007
They are all the same person, McGuire, Holland....Barrett, the only one that has been to a Board meeting is Barrett, well wait... the other two occupy space in his mind, so maybe they've been to one or two *wink*

Barrett needs a life, and like I said maybe a RECALL is in order, but it will take people that are not afraid of his digging into their past or showing up in their front lawn yelling at them, like he has done to a few employees...

This Director Barrett is BAD for our Community and our future.

All he does is stir up crap, he's never done for the people, read his rants on here... its what he wants, not what the people want....

Director Barretts been bitchin about all the bad thats gone on... someone bring a mirror to the next board meeting and hold it up to Barretts face so he can see who the real problem is.

*Back to work, have a good day!
SCSD Director Barrett

United States

#8 Nov 8, 2007
Who's front lawn are you talking about Scary Nuyen? You lie like a dog...wait a minute you are a......
Imari Love

AOL

#10 Nov 8, 2007
See you at the monthly meeting *wink*
SCSD Director Barrett

United States

#11 Nov 8, 2007
Sherie,

I grow tired of your ignorance, and that is the last word.

“I'm a Multifacted Personality ”

Since: Nov 07

West Shores of the Salton Sea

#12 Nov 10, 2007
Then quietly resign.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salton City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I want to buy cheap land near the salton sea (Nov '08) Jul 22 castilloviejo 35
What type of business are lacking in the Salton... (Sep '08) Jun '17 maryanorvell 26
News Tragic collission near Salton City (Nov '07) May '17 Well Well 29
grocer (Oct '09) Mar '17 Mr parsons 7
New owners of Captn Jim's in Salton City (May '15) Mar '17 Hanks is the mann 2
Wayne Davis Mar '17 Jim banks 2
Why Worry About Legacy? (Aug '09) Feb '17 Jim banks 19

Salton City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salton City Mortgages