voted best community
Confussed

Richmond, KY

#1 Sep 20, 2012
Can someone explain how Montgomrey Co.was selected best place to raise children ,Honestly like to know what this was based on .
hello

Mount Sterling, KY

#2 Sep 20, 2012
Confussed wrote:
Can someone explain how Montgomrey Co.was selected best place to raise children ,Honestly like to know what this was based on .
Obviously not the warped pessimistic view of the posters here. This community has great parks, theater, schools are improving and have top notch facilities, no gangs to speak of and no pollution problems. This is just a few of the wonderful things offered by this community. Sure we have our negatives just like others but they are far outweighed by the positives.
lol

Lexington, KY

#3 Sep 21, 2012
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
schools are improving and have top notch facilities,.
Schools are not improving, it is still a good old boys club. Only the previous good old boys cared about the community at least and these new ones don't it is all about them. Great facilities? My daughter has old books and crowded classrooms for several classes and you should see the weight room she has to use. Major safety and title 9 issues the school refuses to fix because it would actually be for the kids and not make the splash or have the effect on the superintendent's goal of becoming state commish of education that a $200k a year basketball coach does. New books don't make a splash either.
donnielee

Mount Sterling, KY

#4 Sep 21, 2012
This is mostly a political sell for Dr. Powell....look at all the big name Politicans, coaches and others that have visited over the past several months....They have this school system ranked one of the most improved school systems in the state...where did this come from...the school year has just started...this is the year of change....lets wait and see what the numbers are before we count our blessings....Numbers dont lie...politicians do!!!
donnielee

Mount Sterling, KY

#5 Sep 21, 2012
Let me also say...we should be proud of our community...our Law enforcement, our parks, our city officials, our factories, our growth and our people are all positive...the only missing piece IS our schools rankings...
sure

Richmond, KY

#6 Sep 21, 2012
donnielee wrote:
Let me also say...we should be proud of our community...our Law enforcement, our parks, our city officials, our factories, our growth and our people are all positive...the only missing piece IS our schools rankings...
I can agree with that
not so

Richmond, KY

#7 Sep 21, 2012
Im not trying to be negative ,but fact is true.
Our little town is drying up around us ,our parks dont save our children, Our school system is a mess ,we can't close our eyes to that. We have lost some of the best teachers this county will ever see in history again, our drug problem is rising terrible our jail is over crowded ....we are a mess... And what ever you think Mr.Powell isnt able to fix it ,
typical

Georgetown, KY

#8 Sep 21, 2012
All the negative comments won't change a thing for the better either! If things are a mess then the people of this county need to stand up and demand a change! Go to a city council meeting, school board meeting, help with community functions that make a difference and support leaders trying to make positive changes instead of sitting on the couch and complaining! Sadly the people that complain the most are those willing to do the least! As far as the schools go there is improvement but it takes the communities support! Dr Powell may not be the answer long term but at least he is trying! More than I can say for most it would seem!
right on

Lexington, KY

#9 Sep 21, 2012
typical wrote:
Go to a city council meeting, school board meeting, help with community functions that make a difference and support leaders trying to make positive changes instead of sitting on the couch and complaining!
Absolutely. And you forgot one very important thing: vote. Vote for new leadership in November for the school board and state rep.
I Know

Mount Sterling, KY

#10 Sep 22, 2012
This town is the WORST place for kids!!! is why they are doing drugs and drinking. There is nothing for them to do. If you think going to city council meetings and voting helps change anything around here then you crazy!

Since: Mar 10

Smiths Grove, KY

#11 Sep 22, 2012
mt. sterling ain't the nice 'lil town it once was. drugs are rampant and we even got hookers walkin' the streets. people complain about the schools, i don't have kids so y'all can argue that. we got a drug task force workin' round the clock and the the other side are ridin' round the clock. people drive like idiots cos there'so police presence. people park where they want to, do what they want to. there's no consideration of others any longer. came back from a walk with my dog to my rogers ave home last nite to find a car parked on the side of my street, 2 guys one snortin' drugs and the other performin' a sexual favor on him. this happens cos my neighbor deals drugs, yet when he's busted the judge let's him out cos in her words, "he poses no threat to anyone". all the good things that are done to try and make this a good little community is overshadowed by the crimes as a result of drugs and people say "it's everywhere", to hell with everywhere, this is mt.sterling, our town, MY TOWN lets give a damn about here and now!!!
Home owner

Richmond, KY

#12 Sep 24, 2012
Several months ago my home was listed for sale ,the interested couple had three children and to make a long story short they visited our schools ,made an offer on home . went back to schools and in a short time we had already turned over all the schools the children would have been attending ! Got to checking around and naturally they decided this wasnt the sort of school system they wanted to place the children in !I dont think people realize how bad things are here! Get your heads out of the sand and dont allow our school personal that are being paid by us to feed you this bull.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family Dollar bathroom 3 min Redneck 13
Family Dollar Distribution 45 min Mick 24
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 46 min Duh 166,364
Our school systems have truly become dumb 51 min Andy 26
need a change 55 min cane 7
Who is going to run for office in the county ne... 1 hr sweet thang 39
Chandra davis is ratting again 1 hr Chong 6

Salt Lick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance