Undercover visits mean less underage drinking in Utah

Jan 23, 2014 Read more: Salt Lake Tribune

Utah restaurants did a better job of keeping liquor out of the hands of minors in 2013, in large part because they knew undercover agents would be visiting more often.

Read more
Matthew Masters

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Jan 25, 2014
I'm sure these Gestapo-like tactics help the numerous Utah non-drinkers sleep a little better each night if not shear joy when the "state" ABC reveals their monthly sting statistics. In the meantime I personally know one server in South Jordan that lost his livelihood in a "neighborhood" restaurant over a planted customer that was mere days away from being 21. One of the best and conscientious servers I knew in Utah he had to leave the state and return to his home town in the Midwest because he was made a pariah in Utah over a technicality. Everyone can make a mistake.

I suppose sting operations could also be held to confirm consistent tithing frequency. As it stands alcohol consumption is a personal choice. These witch hunts do nothing to reduce the rampant at home alcohol abuse which starts Sunday afternoons and lasts through through Saturday nights that is destroying marriages and families. Alcohol consumption is a personal choice. But Imposing draconian fear tactics on restaurants in place of management oversight and common sense only harms "law abiding" patrons. Stamping on personal choices isn't anything to for the Orwellian/Young thought police to cheer about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Officer in gay pride parade incident speaks out 17 hr Wondering 63
News Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11) Tue No Surprise 32,003
News LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) Mar 29 tongangodz 30,178
Review: Slickrock Towing And Recovery (Nov '12) Mar 28 kristen 24
News Google Fiber to reach Salt Lake City Mar 28 Tom 2
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Mar 22 Waymogv001010 12
stupid utah drivers (Feb '08) Mar 18 Bullrider Class O... 115

Hard Freeze Watch for Salt Lake County was issued at April 01 at 3:45PM MDT

More from around the web

Salt Lake City People Search