Review: AMSCO Windows
Leslie

Tijeras, NM

#23 Aug 13, 2010
We live in New Mexico and purchased single hung Amsco windows for our home. While the windows have a nice look to them, we have been disappointed with the quality. We have to be super careful when opening or closing the windows, or they come off their slide rails. The company through which we bought the windows have been terrific, coming out whenever the windows "derail". We purchased our windows in two steps: the back of the house one year, and the front of the house the next. The windows installed the first year are just now showing some condensation when we get rain (which is fairly rare for our part of the state.) As far as the locks are concerned, we've already had to have one of them replaced. Unfortunately, we will not choose Amsco windows for our next home.
Robert Welker

Idaho Falls, ID

#24 Sep 2, 2010
I have a 4' X 8' window with a center glass approximately 45 1/4" high X 47 1/2" long that leaks and causes moisture on the inside of glass. These are the aluminum frame windows. Can you furnish the replacement glass for the center section? It has a sliding vent glass at each end.
Glenda

Alpine, UT

#25 Sep 9, 2010
I am very confused......I have read reviews for several different window manufacturers and it does not seem that any windows are any good. All the complaints are the same. All the issues are the same. Is there no perfect window out there?

Someone please help...I am looking to spend a lot of money and I want the best.
window guru

Alpine, UT

#26 Sep 9, 2010
Len wrote:
99% of window manufacturers give labor warranties. Amsco chooses not to. I would buy Milgard or Simonton since they offer lifetime labor warranties. You get what you pay for. If it's your home why not pay a little more for peace of mind.
well when you read the first part of milgard warranty it leads you in the way that everything is covered under a lifetime warranty but its not. if you read the full warranty (just like amsco) that there is a pretty big grey area on whats actually covered for a LIFETIME. amsco just like milgard will cover everything for a year after the date their purchased (thats parts and labor) i have copied a part of milgards warranty so maybe you can readit a little bit better.also like in my previous post the dealer you buy your windows from take care of all warranty or service issues. with that being said you call the person who you bought your windows from, amsco is only as good as there dealers so make sure you go through someone who is highly recomended from amsco, and you shouldnt run into any problems.

EXCEPTIONS TO FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY
The following products and services are not covered by Milgard’s full lifetime warranty and have the different warranty
coverage specified below: Milgard will replace any window or door screen frame and mesh that is defective in materials
or workmanship at no charge to the Original Purchaser (including parts and labor) for a period of one (1) year after Start
Date. Milgard will replace any integrated blind that is defective in materials or workmanship at no charge to the Original
Purchaser (including parts and labor) for a period of five (5) years after Start Date. Milgard will replace the electric
motor or basic drive unit of Milgard’s operable skylights that are defective in materials or workmanship at no charge to
the Original Purchaser (including parts and labor) for a period of one (1) year after Start Date. Milgard will replace at no
charge (parts and/or labor) stainless steel hardware that loses functionality in highly corrosive environments within one
(1) year after the date of installation of the windows, doors or skylights as new construction or as replacements
window guru

Alpine, UT

#27 Sep 9, 2010
Brenda wrote:
Amsco market is for homeowners not wanting to spend any money on windows. They will not service the windows if there are any problem. If you are going to live in you house for a while don't buy Amsco windows. The windows do fog up. Parts very hard to come buy. Their lock breaks easily.
brenda have you tried to contact the dealer who you bought your windows from? no window is gurenteed to not fog up over a lifetime! luckily amsco will furnish you with a new glass unit and its is a liftime warranty on fogged glas units. as for the parts if you have windows from 20 years ago it would be harder to find parts, also i know personaly that the amsco people will send you whatever parts they still have acsess to at a no charge.
window guru

Alpine, UT

#28 Sep 9, 2010
Glenda wrote:
I am very confused......I have read reviews for several different window manufacturers and it does not seem that any windows are any good. All the complaints are the same. All the issues are the same. Is there no perfect window out there?
Someone please help...I am looking to spend a lot of money and I want the best.
very true there is no great window out there. they are all close to the same, the best thing to do is go through the right person that you feel good with,not a pushy salesman. i would recomend calling the manufacture and seing who they recomend installing there windows, usually the manufacture will not lead you to someone you will have problems with.
WOW

Los Angeles, CA

#29 Nov 10, 2010
I have bought 2 AMSCO windows 3 months ago. I was about to place a few more throughout my investment property. I appreciate reading everything. Condensation is a huge problem in my units. And though I do know that the roof needs to be replaced. I also understand that windows are important. I'm glad I decided to look up the reviews. Does anyone know about Cascade? I want something that I don't need to worry about for a while.
Juan

AOL

#30 Dec 11, 2010
Leslie,

I need to replace a lock on one of the windows. Do you have any information as to who i can contact for the service in Rio Rancho?

Thanks,
Leslie wrote:
We live in New Mexico and purchased single hung Amsco windows for our home. While the windows have a nice look to them, we have been disappointed with the quality. We have to be super careful when opening or closing the windows, or they come off their slide rails. The company through which we bought the windows have been terrific, coming out whenever the windows "derail". We purchased our windows in two steps: the back of the house one year, and the front of the house the next. The windows installed the first year are just now showing some condensation when we get rain (which is fairly rare for our part of the state.) As far as the locks are concerned, we've already had to have one of them replaced. Unfortunately, we will not choose Amsco windows for our next home.
Juan

AOL

#31 Dec 11, 2010
Anybody know where I can purchase a replacement lock for these windows? Internet or local in the Albuquerque area.

Thanks
Vince

Edmonton, Canada

#32 Dec 13, 2010
I live in Alberta Canada and bought triple pane Amsco Renaissance windows top of the line on Sept,2010.I found that there was a gap between window glass frame and the around the frame.Talked to to the installer who bought the product from Montana. He called theContact person and suggested to use the shim to close the gap. The installer tried but it diidn't help. So he sealed the gap with sealant. So I tried to check rest of the 11 windows. Most of them has minimal glue used. WHAT A POOR QUALITY JOB. Seconly, few days later some of the windows started to build up condensation. At that time the room temp.and the humidity was 21C and 31% way below the comfortable zone.Finally On Dec 12,2010 , some of the windows,about the centre 1/2 " windth found ice formation .The room temp. was 21C and 23% humidity. I Called the AMsco CO. they gave genral explanation about the condensation and said it is normal. I've been living in this cold weather over 20 years and lived in differnt houses. My prevoius 10 year old triple pane windows didn't have this type of problem.I spent total of $34000 to replace and installed AMsco product. WHAT A POOR PRODUCT. PLEASE CAREFUL WHEN YOU USE THIS PRODUCT.
Jeff

Duarte, CA

#33 Dec 13, 2010
WOW wrote:
I have bought 2 AMSCO windows 3 months ago. I was about to place a few more throughout my investment property. I appreciate reading everything. Condensation is a huge problem in my units. And though I do know that the roof needs to be replaced. I also understand that windows are important. I'm glad I decided to look up the reviews. Does anyone know about Cascade? I want something that I don't need to worry about for a while.
Cascade Windows are just as bad. Both Amsco Windows and Cascade Windows DO NOT have labor warranties. So if there is a problem you can't get replacement parts or help on what to do. Buying low end windows will get you nothing but trouble. Amsco Windows are made in Utah and Cascade Windows are made in Washington.
Steve

Buena Park, CA

#34 Dec 20, 2010
window guru wrote:
<quoted text>
well when you read the first part of milgard warranty it leads you in the way that everything is covered under a lifetime warranty but its not. if you read the full warranty (just like amsco) that there is a pretty big grey area on whats actually covered for a LIFETIME. amsco just like milgard will cover everything for a year after the date their purchased (thats parts and labor) i have copied a part of milgards warranty so maybe you can readit a little bit better.also like in my previous post the dealer you buy your windows from take care of all warranty or service issues. with that being said you call the person who you bought your windows from, amsco is only as good as there dealers so make sure you go through someone who is highly recomended from amsco, and you shouldnt run into any problems.
EXCEPTIONS TO FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY
The following products and services are not covered by Milgard’s full lifetime warranty and have the different warranty
coverage specified below: Milgard will replace any window or door screen frame and mesh that is defective in materials
or workmanship at no charge to the Original Purchaser (including parts and labor) for a period of one (1) year after Start
Date. Milgard will replace any integrated blind that is defective in materials or workmanship at no charge to the Original
Purchaser (including parts and labor) for a period of five (5) years after Start Date. Milgard will replace the electric
motor or basic drive unit of Milgard’s operable skylights that are defective in materials or workmanship at no charge to
the Original Purchaser (including parts and labor) for a period of one (1) year after Start Date. Milgard will replace at no
charge (parts and/or labor) stainless steel hardware that loses functionality in highly corrosive environments within one
(1) year after the date of installation of the windows, doors or skylights as new construction or as replacements
Sorry window guru but Amsco windows aren't very good. Amsco's warranty is horrible with no labor leaves customers on the hook for paying for the windows twice. Do you work for Amsco windows?
Procell

Long Beach, CA

#35 Jan 27, 2011
Ted wrote:
I had Amsco windows installed in my home last year. Nothing but problems. The windows are not made well. The windows don't slide like they use to. Two windows aleady have fogged up and need to replaced. Amsco service department is not returning my phone calls. Horrible experience.
Ted, the AMSCO agreement with the dealer states that the dealer is responsible for the labor. This is one reason that allows them to be price competitive. In the event that the dealer is not around anymore, AMSCO is typically very accommodating in helping to find another dealer in their network of dealers and supplying them with the parts necessary. They also reimburse the dealer doing the service to be sure the customer is taken care of.
In my experience, AMSCO goes above and beyond to help customers.
Procell

Long Beach, CA

#36 Jan 27, 2011
Sammy wrote:
I bought Amsco vinyl windows two years ago and was please with the quality and installation. But with the rains my vinyl windows are not working properly and some of the glass has fogged up inside the two pieces of glass. I called the window dealer that installed the Amsco windows and they are now out of business. I called Amsco windows and they said they don't have a labor warranty and that I would have to find a installer at my cost. I just got a quote and the cost of fixing the windows is $1,300!!! That's more money then I have. Amsco windows customer service is horrible. Amsco says that I should have know that there was no labor warranty. I don't recommend Amsco windows to anyone!!!!!
AMSCO Windows are the same quality as just about every other reputable window brand out there. Mikron makes the vinyl for just about all of them. They are all fusion welded. The glass almost always comes from Cardinal. In fact, if you get Argon gas, Cardinal makes the glass package and according to statistics on them, they have less then 1 in 10,000 units that fail and get condensation.
As far as some of the reviews saying they don't slid good anymore like when they were new,.........come on you cry babies. Clean your frames and spray some wax lube or teflon lube in the tracks.
It's easy for people to post negative reviews. It's just too bad most reviews cannot be validated prior to going public.
The AMSCO agreement with the dealer states that the dealer is responsible for the labor. This is one reason that allows them to be price competitive. In the event that the dealer is not around anymore, AMSCO is typically very accommodating in helping to find another dealer in their network of dealers and supplying them with the parts necessary. They also reimburse the dealer doing the service to be sure the customer is taken care of.
window guru

Pasadena, CA

#37 Jan 31, 2011
Procell wrote:
<quoted text>
AMSCO Windows are the same quality as just about every other reputable window brand out there. Mikron makes the vinyl for just about all of them. They are all fusion welded. The glass almost always comes from Cardinal. In fact, if you get Argon gas, Cardinal makes the glass package and according to statistics on them, they have less then 1 in 10,000 units that fail and get condensation.
As far as some of the reviews saying they don't slid good anymore like when they were new,.........come on you cry babies. Clean your frames and spray some wax lube or teflon lube in the tracks.
It's easy for people to post negative reviews. It's just too bad most reviews cannot be validated prior to going public.
The AMSCO agreement with the dealer states that the dealer is responsible for the labor. This is one reason that allows them to be price competitive. In the event that the dealer is not around anymore, AMSCO is typically very accommodating in helping to find another dealer in their network of dealers and supplying them with the parts necessary. They also reimburse the dealer doing the service to be sure the customer is taken care of.
Procell you must work for Amsco or something. Amsco is one of the only companies that does this type of warranty. No labor warranty is not customer friendly. Milgard, Superior, Simonton, Green World, Ply Gem, Anlin and many others have lifetime labor and aren't that much more expensive then Amsco's pricing. Some even give a lifetime warranty on glass breakage. I just don't think this is the way companies should sell windows.
Hunter

East Greenwich, RI

#39 Apr 15, 2011
Procell wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have not bought Amsco windows if I know the warranty was with the dealer. How is that fair to customers not to tell them up front. The window salesman never mentioned their company would be doing the service. I called them and they said to call Amsco. The run around. I didn't think companies could do this to customers.
Chad Correia

Reno, NV

#40 May 4, 2011
I am in the window replacement business now for 7 years and can save you guys from these horrid cheap plastic regrind vinyl windows, that we have yanked out and replaced too many times with all kinds of problems, from locks literally hanging off, horrible uv fade/discoleration, warping, seal failure, you name it these things are absolute garbage. But some homeowners never learn, especially in the vinyl window market 'price buyers are twice buyers' and this is definitely the most expensive window that you can buy cost wise, unless your selling your home and moving tomorrow and i suggest running very fast before they fail!
Chad Correia

Reno, NV

#41 May 4, 2011
Sorry folks my goal in the above comment was to help folks not bad mouth Amsco, so let me elaborate; Amsco is a perfect window for contractors and the new construction market where bidding is aggressive and companies need to keep costs down, just not a good fit for the replacement market. There are plenty of good replacement window manufacturers and companies out there. The warranty is important most vinyl window warranties leave so much to be desired and not a lot of piece of mind. so just make sure you go through the warranty very carefully and research the company that is to install them. Stay away from resellers and companies that use subs and you should be fine
windowparts

Indonesia

#42 May 9, 2011
Try this site , maybe can help => http://www.andersonwindowparts.org
Matt

Frisco, TX

#43 Jun 21, 2011
You need to get a new quote on getting the glass replaced. Unless you have 20 or more windows that have failed which I really doubt that is too high. Shop around a bit.
And as for the comments on argon AMSCO does not put breather tubes in windows that have argon. The argon will dissipate out eventually but not for a very long time. Ignorant assumptions by the guy talking about breather tubes.
In my 8 years experience dealing with AMSCO windows I have found that most people are very very happy with them. You only see the few compainers on sites like this, and most of those complaints are about dealers who sell them (installation, service) not AMSCO products. I have them in my home and I'm extremely pleased.
Sammy wrote:
I bought Amsco vinyl windows two years ago and was please with the quality and installation. But with the rains my vinyl windows are not working properly and some of the glass has fogged up inside the two pieces of glass. I called the window dealer that installed the Amsco windows and they are now out of business. I called Amsco windows and they said they don't have a labor warranty and that I would have to find a installer at my cost. I just got a quote and the cost of fixing the windows is $1,300!!! That's more money then I have. Amsco windows customer service is horrible. Amsco says that I should have know that there was no labor warranty. I don't recommend Amsco windows to anyone!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a girl friend (May '07) 19 hr HannaBurroughs 796
cómo tener éxito Sat larson 1
News Bill to ban airport smoking soars through Senat... Jun 25 Scrow Tumm 5
LDS Church ( WAKE UP ) Jun 23 wormwood 2
Evolution is obvious (Dec '11) Jun 18 Socialism Now 56
Magic Players (Nov '14) Jun 15 IonaBurris 2
Who knows Leann Wills (Apr '13) Jun 15 nedra 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salt Lake City Mortgages