HBO, Mormons square off over airing of sacred rite

HBO on Tuesday defended its plans to depict a sacred Mormon temple ceremony in an upcoming episode of 'Big Love.' The drama about a Utah polygamous family will show an endowment ceremony Sunday. Full Story
First Prev
of 50
Next Last
JAMES DUCKWORTH

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Mar 11, 2009
A GREAT CULT TO BELONG TO 10% AND YOU GET A RIDE TO HEAVEN AS LONG AS YOU ARE WORTHY
go live

Laie, HI

#2 Mar 11, 2009
I encourage members not to hastily make decisions or emotional ones. This may bring people into the church or cause some to inquire about it. A blessing in disguise perhaps
DMac_357

Grovetown, GA

#3 Mar 12, 2009
How do you reserve someone a place in Heaven by proxy?
go live

Laie, HI

#5 Mar 12, 2009
DMac_357 wrote:
I usually don not like quoting scripture, especially in forums like this, but we get our proxy-like ordinances from: 1 Corinthians 15:29.

Since: Oct 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Mar 12, 2009
Is this like the Elks or the Mason's secret ceremonies?
Angie

Boise, ID

#8 Mar 12, 2009
Nothing to do with the Elks. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were Masons. They swore an oath that they would not tell the secrets. They did worse! They stole and used them and EVEN Masonic symbols.
Over 50 wrote:
Is this like the Elks or the Mason's secret ceremonies?
Leon

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 12, 2009
iDuDiT wrote:
Is the endowment ceremony the one with the big diapers?
No, they wear a top hat and apron.
go live

Kilauea, HI

#11 Mar 12, 2009
Leon wrote:
<quoted text> You're right. The stuff you post makes you look like a total nitwit.
wow! name calling. how old are you.. 10?

“Pig-O-Riffic!”

Since: Nov 08

Rockford, MI

#12 Mar 13, 2009
Do any of you watch Big Love? It's really an incredible show, and they totally distance the family and the compound people from the normal LDS. Even if they didn't, it's very entertaining. I'd go so far as to call it the best show on TV right now.

I don't understand why people are all up in arms over the showing of a ceremony. People who have to hide major aspects of their faith always make me question what they really believe and why they believe it. If it's truly that important to your faith, why do you have to hide it?

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#13 Mar 13, 2009
The history of Joseph Smith and the Mormons...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/712/

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#14 Mar 13, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
Do any of you watch Big Love? It's really an incredible show, and they totally distance the family and the compound people from the normal LDS. Even if they didn't, it's very entertaining. I'd go so far as to call it the best show on TV right now.
I don't understand why people are all up in arms over the showing of a ceremony. People who have to hide major aspects of their faith always make me question what they really believe and why they believe it. If it's truly that important to your faith, why do you have to hide it?
I agree, I've been watching the show since season #1. I just watched some show (can't remember which one), about the compound they raided in TX and they have not and will not use their "temple" now since people who are not worthy stepped into it. And it's this giant building, I say move some homeless in then if they aren't going to use it.
Go ask Alice

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Mar 13, 2009
Great show. Great characters.
jenn

Kalamazoo, MI

#16 Mar 13, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
You are so right. If it's that important, you should be inviting people to witness, to feel the "presence of the Lord" during the ceremony. This religion really rankles me. It takes in people that are weak, and indoctrinates them to a point were they think that questioning something about their newly chosen religion is wrong. According to the LDS, they are just another denomination of Christianity. But according to a relative of mine that joined up, I will be going to hell. I am Christian Reformed. I believe in God, the Holy Trinity, but I will still go to hell. That doesn't sound like anything my denomination has taught me about Christianity.
Sam

Boise, ID

#17 Mar 13, 2009
they do not care if the building goes to waste since it was paid for via all the public assistance and welfare this group collects from taxpayers.
wzombiegrl wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, I've been watching the show since season #1. I just watched some show (can't remember which one), about the compound they raided in TX and they have not and will not use their "temple" now since people who are not worthy stepped into it. And it's this giant building, I say move some homeless in then if they aren't going to use it.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#18 Mar 13, 2009
PiggyTail said "I don't understand why people are all up in arms over the showing of a ceremony. People who have to hide major aspects of their faith always make me question what they really believe and why they believe it. If it's truly that important to your faith, why do you have to hide it? "

Here is another of their secret ceremonies that should make your hair stand on end:

http://www.watchman.org/lds/bldaton2.htm

The official view of the church that is dispensed to the gentiles (that's the rest of us) is total denial but the proof exists despite the church's denial
go live

Laie, HI

#19 Mar 13, 2009
jenn wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right. If it's that important, you should be inviting people to witness, to feel the "presence of the Lord" during the ceremony. This religion really rankles me. It takes in people that are weak, and indoctrinates them to a point were they think that questioning something about their newly chosen religion is wrong. According to the LDS, they are just another denomination of Christianity. But according to a relative of mine that joined up, I will be going to hell. I am Christian Reformed. I believe in God, the Holy Trinity, but I will still go to hell. That doesn't sound like anything my denomination has taught me about Christianity.
we don't teach people they will go to hell if they are not members..that is you reality, but its not true.
go live

Laie, HI

#20 Mar 13, 2009
Sam wrote:
they do not care if the building goes to waste since it was paid for via all the public assistance and welfare this group collects from taxpayers.<quoted text>
memebrs of the church fund all these buildings..have absolutley nothing to do with taxpayers. Heck!! the church can teach the federal government a little something about balancing the budget. At least the church is not in debt like the gov't.

“WINGS....ROCK The Ice YEAH!”

Since: Mar 08

Allendale, MI

#21 Mar 13, 2009
Quote from article*Only church members in good standing can enter temples to perform or witness sacred ceremonies. The ceremonies are centered on religious teachings and re-enactments of Bible stories to help Mormons prepare an eternal place for themselves — and others by proxy — in heaven.***End of Quote***SO is there another God or Creator or Maker that doesnt reconize all the Humans? Guess Mormans do not want more members..But then with there strict rules (they say written by there God, most would not be approved for THEIR CULT!!!..What privacy are they hiding? Alas they do believe in something existing...

Placitas, NM

#22 Mar 13, 2009
DMac_357 wrote:
Same way you baptize Hitler, Ted bundy, and other evil people.

Simply a cult. Just like the baptists, Catholics or any other bunch of true believers.

If you believe in Judgment Day, I have to seriously question your judgment…. And at the end of the day, is magic underwear really that much crazier than giant arks, or virgin births, or talking bushes?- Bill Maher

Placitas, NM

#23 Mar 13, 2009
Only the Catholics and Baptists are bigger cults than the 15% of Americans claiming no religion. Mormons by comparison are a puny 1.4%.

Even though the bible thumpin' rapture right political active Evangelical/Born Again, &non-denominational Christian account for 75% or more of the noise, they account for only only 11.8% of the population.

"GOD told ME to tell YOU not to listen to people who say "God told me to tell you." - Robert Anton Wilson

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 50
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 6 min Wanderer2452 26,726
last post wins! (Jul '11) Wed Maverick 808 350
Utah Ophthalmologists Improve Vision During Cat... (Nov '13) Tue Pavlos Lombardi 3
Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Dec 12 Tagumpay 217
Police dog finds Utah boy who falls into manhole Dec 10 Independent1 19
Gay marriage cases await early Supreme Court de... Dec 10 DNF 754
Utah man, 77, charged for sunbathing nude Dec 9 DILF 8
Salt Lake City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Salt Lake City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Salt Lake City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salt Lake City

Personal Finance