Liberals & Mormons

Mar 4, 2010 Full story: Salt Lake City Weekly 16

Where are good places around Salt Lake City to take out-of-town visitors? The Spiral Jetty and Welfare Square, a knowledgeable friend assured me.

Full Story
Quiet_Dave

Tucson, AZ

#1 Mar 4, 2010
Seems like the disparity between practicing Saints and their political alignment has more to do with the poor definition and use of "liberal" and "conservative". It would more readily align if we used more accurate terms like "state-ist" and "anarchist". Most Saints worship the concept of "free agency" and individual choices and responsibility, believing that government is a necessary evil that men institute among themselves to retain some order, justice and protection of the weaker members of society. I think most would agree that the government that governs least is best.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 6, 2010
Actually I think it's much simpler than that. Rank and file mormans simply can't think for themselves; they allow salt lake to do the thinking for them. The morman general conferences should be more readily called indoctrination sessions - and with the presidency and the quorum of the twelve stubbornly keeping their hands in republican politics and discriminative causes it will never be any different. The morman cult and business/financial complex must be stopped before it controls the nation.
Quiet_Dave

Tucson, AZ

#3 Mar 6, 2010
Haw Haw wrote:
Actually I think it's much simpler than that. Rank and file mormans simply can't think for themselves; they allow salt lake to do the thinking for them. The morman general conferences should be more readily called indoctrination sessions - and with the presidency and the quorum of the twelve stubbornly keeping their hands in republican politics and discriminative causes it will never be any different. The morman cult and business/financial complex must be stopped before it controls the nation.
Have you ever listen to a LDS General Conference? They are broadcast on many cable networks and sometimes on PBS. If you had you wouldn't be making such asinine statements (presuming you are the least open minded). As for taking "marching orders" from SLC, one need only look at the wide spectrum of politicians and positions taken by Mormon candidates; they range from Harry Reid to Orin Hatch and Mitt Romney. Hardly, anything that reflects uniform marching orders from SLC, unless the order giver is schizoid.
Mrs Plasticman

United States

#4 Mar 7, 2010
In my personal experience (ie people I know personally) friends and acquaintances who have left the church are much more likely to be liberal and one of the reasons they choose to leave is their liberal social stance is incongruent with LDS social conservatism.

BUT by no means does being LDS preclude a person from being a democrat - I just think they are WRONG :)
Mrs Plasticman

United States

#5 Mar 7, 2010
Good places to visit would be This is the Place Monument Park - nice little Pioneer time town set up - very nice and historical. Also very interactive and kids as well as adults enjoy it.

Little Cottonwood, Big Cottonwood or Milcreek Canyons are all nice places for a picnic in nicer weather with hiking areas.

Thanksgiving Point is a fun place with a Dinosaur Museum. Or if you want a whole days adventure Dinosaur National Park out in Vernal is pretty cool.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 8, 2010
Mrs Plasticman wrote:
In my personal experience (ie people I know personally) friends and acquaintances who have left the church are much more likely to be liberal and one of the reasons they choose to leave is their liberal social stance is incongruent with LDS social conservatism.
BUT by no means does being LDS preclude a person from being a democrat - I just think they are WRONG :)
Yeah, once they learn to think for themselves the remaining days of their their membership in the McCult are more than likely numbered.

Praise to the Man!
Aerro424

Cedar Rapids, IA

#7 Mar 8, 2010
Quiet_Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever listen to a LDS General Conference? They are broadcast on many cable networks and sometimes on PBS. If you had you wouldn't be making such asinine statements (presuming you are the least open minded). As for taking "marching orders" from SLC, one need only look at the wide spectrum of politicians and positions taken by Mormon candidates; they range from Harry Reid to Orin Hatch and Mitt Romney. Hardly, anything that reflects uniform marching orders from SLC, unless the order giver is schizoid.
I lived in SLC for 16 years and worked for Bonneville Prod. and Video West editing general conference.I've heard dozens of them. and they are all the same. Nothing but twice yearly pep rallies. The previous poster was right. The Mormon Church is nothing but an ultra right wing PAC.
Liz

Riverton, UT

#8 Mar 9, 2010
Aerro424 wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in SLC for 16 years and worked for Bonneville Prod. and Video West editing general conference.I've heard dozens of them. and they are all the same. Nothing but twice yearly pep rallies. The previous poster was right. The Mormon Church is nothing but an ultra right wing PAC.

Ain't it great!!!
Trick Pony

Corrales, NM

#9 Mar 9, 2010
My bad...I thought the headline read..."Liberals and Morons"
octabama

Anchorage, AK

#10 Mar 9, 2010
Liberals and Morons? Where day at? The white house???

Since: Mar 10

Knoxville, TN

#11 Mar 19, 2010
I'm liberal and Mormon. I don't think the two necessarily have to be separated. Much of what we believe should actually lead more toward the liberal side. Unfortunately, if I explicitly say anything liberal around fellow LDS people, the topic is changed or I'm given some sort of peer pressure speech to make me see the errors of my ways.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#12 Mar 19, 2010
JanersM wrote:
I'm liberal and Mormon. I don't think the two necessarily have to be separated. Much of what we believe should actually lead more toward the liberal side. Unfortunately, if I explicitly say anything liberal around fellow LDS people, the topic is changed or I'm given some sort of peer pressure speech to make me see the errors of my ways.
I think you should try bearing your liberal testimony during the next F&T Sunday. Hopefully it won't turn out like this poor guy's.

octabama

Anchorage, AK

#13 Mar 19, 2010
Libs and morons? Never thought about it, I thought all libs were anti-American MORONS!

Since: Mar 10

Knoxville, TN

#14 Mar 19, 2010
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should try bearing your liberal testimony during the next F&T Sunday. Hopefully it won't turn out like this poor guy's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ubZQ5TgFRacXX
Oh, I know that if I share my views that I'll face some sort of sanctions, whether social or religious. I don't really mind that.
tambo1

Providence, RI

#15 Sep 3, 2014
Please come check out our forum at http://www.slantedpolitics.com Get our religious discussion started
Peter

London, KY

#16 Sep 8, 2014
Conservatives and Satanists!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 8 min Dana Robertson 18,831
Review: Las Aguilas/utah Eagle Transport/taxi S... 9 hr ctae 2
Review: Slickrock Towing And Recovery (Nov '12) Sun Jennifer 18
Review: AMSCO Windows (Jan '10) Sun Disgrundled 65
Review: Holladay Family And Laser Dentistry Oct 17 bcgrooves 1
Review: Poorman's Heating & Air (Mar '14) Oct 16 R Byte 2
School Marketing Research Survey Oct 15 Time2workout 1
Salt Lake City Dating
Find my Match

Salt Lake City Jobs