Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,004

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#18883 Nov 20, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Get rid of you? Heck no. I want you to stick around as an object of my ridicule and derision.
Good. I'm glad to hear that you at least respect my right to post in a public forum. I love it when you post here too, because you betray the morally bankrupt truth about your own side.

I see that you have trouble with the facts just like your men Rmoney and Ryan. Namely that the extremists who've gotten on the wrong side of the law were not of the left wing, they were rightists.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#18885 Nov 20, 2012
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
We all now know that Mr. Michigan Militia thinks shocking genitals with electricity is not only NOT torture, but is hilariously funny besides! No real surprise there... Crazy I'm sure, even though he claims to have a gay "best friend" would likely think the same way. Again, no real surprise.
Now what we're all waiting for is to hear from Miss Sweet Wishy Washy Can't Decide Honey Bun about whether or not SHE believes that her cult administering electricity and ipecac to self-confessed gays is or is not torture. She of course has already denied that it ever even happened, but what would she think if it were proven that they did and still do it today... That's what I truly want to hear. It would be truly ironic if her real first name were... Sandy... As that's where her head is.
California gets it right. I'm sure Utah will be the last place on the planet to ban it....well, maybe they will tie with Uganda.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/30/1138... #

Since: Sep 12

Branson, MO

#18886 Nov 20, 2012
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
We all now know that Mr. Michigan Militia thinks shocking genitals with electricity is not only NOT torture, but is hilariously funny besides! No real surprise there... Crazy I'm sure, even though he claims to have a gay "best friend" would likely think the same way. Again, no real surprise.
Now what we're all waiting for is to hear from Miss Sweet Wishy Washy Can't Decide Honey Bun about whether or not SHE believes that her cult administering electricity and ipecac to self-confessed gays is or is not torture. She of course has already denied that it ever even happened, but what would she think if it were proven that they did and still do it today... That's what I truly want to hear. It would be truly ironic if her real first name were... Sandy... As that's where her head is.
Since you're trying to pull me out by "baiting" me, I'll play... I don't "claim" anything. He IS my business partner, and he happens to be gay, so what? But, he's much more than that. His whole identity is not consumed by his sexuality, unlike you. Also, you are incorrect in your assumption, once again. I guess that's why you are such a dumbass. You do, however, have a better chance of turning into that fly, maggot, than guessing anything correctly about me, Twink.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#18887 Nov 20, 2012
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
Now what we're all waiting for is to hear from Miss Sweet Wishy Washy Can't Decide Honey Bun about whether or not SHE believes that her cult administering electricity and ipecac to self-confessed gays is or is not torture. She of course has already denied that it ever even happened, but what would she think if it were proven that they did and still do it today... That's what I truly want to hear. It would be truly ironic if her first name were... Sandy... As that's where her head is.
Well I'm glad you think i'm so sweet, which is Ironic since my response for you after the day I have had is SCREW YOU.
I don't feel the need to tell you about the many ways I stand up for others, weather they are of my religion or not. I don't need to repeat my views on homosexuality , yet again. I feel no need to prove myself to you. You know nothing about me and it matters not to me.
Taking a stand for what I believe in doesn't mean I have to be over bearing or a Jackass. You see me as wishy washy, a naive woman with my head in the sand. Someone who sits on the fence. None of which is true. For things that truly matter to me, I make my opinions more than clear. Just ask my Bishop about the church event that I boycotted. Didn't make me a favorite among the priesthood, accept for the ones with a sense of humor. The rest asked their wives to steer clear of the trouble maker.
At the end of the day, I don't have to please you, or the church. I have to please Christ.
And I have to please me. I rest well at night knowing that I have treated others well. If you feel the need to prove yourself to everyone here, go for it. I don't need to.
In closing.......... bite me!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#18888 Nov 20, 2012
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Well I'm glad you think i'm so sweet, which is Ironic since my response for you after the day I have had is SCREW YOU.
I don't feel the need to tell you about the many ways I stand up for others, weather they are of my religion or not. I don't need to repeat my views on homosexuality , yet again. I feel no need to prove myself to you. You know nothing about me and it matters not to me.
Taking a stand for what I believe in doesn't mean I have to be over bearing or a Jackass. You see me as wishy washy, a naive woman with my head in the sand. Someone who sits on the fence. None of which is true. For things that truly matter to me, I make my opinions more than clear. Just ask my Bishop about the church event that I boycotted. Didn't make me a favorite among the priesthood, accept for the ones with a sense of humor. The rest asked their wives to steer clear of the trouble maker.
At the end of the day, I don't have to please you, or the church. I have to please Christ.
And I have to please me. I rest well at night knowing that I have treated others well. If you feel the need to prove yourself to everyone here, go for it. I don't need to.
In closing.......... bite me!
It's that cloying sickly sweet thing ..

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#18889 Nov 20, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
How un suprising..sick of eating apocalypse food yet? What exactly do u do with a 100 lb sack of wheat?
Good question: you grind it up and make bread out of it.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#18890 Nov 21, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
That statement isn't in scripture.
It is true nonetheless.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#18891 Nov 21, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Waterboarding is torture. It doesn't do any permanent physical damage, but it is torture. And what they are doing at Evergreen is not for the good of the country.
No, waterboarding is not torture.

Evergreen doesn't exist for the good of the country, but for the good of the souls of men and women.
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#18892 Nov 21, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear hear! Well said.
Leftists are primarily secular, thus they feel that civil government is the only proper authority over their lives...education, work, retirement, welfare, health care, etc. are all to be chosen, and provided, by bureaucrats and secular civil authority.
Unless, of course, you aren't born yet. Leftists want government to "stay our of a woman's uterus", thus leaving unborn children entirely unprotected.
So frankly, to a leftist, if a human being makes it though gestation without being being killed in the womb, the rest of their existence should be a predetermined life of planned mediocrity. A drab existence indeed.
One of the last organized bastions of resistance to government control is the church (not just our church, but biblical churches in general), because they provide for an authority higher than civil government.
And leftists simply cannot have that!
While a church and the government will both take your money and use it for charitable purposes, the government is held accountable. The church will make you all kinds of promises, but in the end they aren't accountable for anything. All you know is what they tell you, that you can buy your way to whichever celestial kingdom your striving for. Which you consider a higher payback. There's no charity for the sake of charity going on in the church, it's all about what you get in return. And what you get in return is a promise of the ultimate entitlement program. It's better than a ponzi scheme. At least with government you can vote their butts out, when they don't fullfill a promise.
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#18893 Nov 21, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter who you were "talking" to. I laid the bait, and you took it and responded.
As for blowing up stuff, that's the general MO of you leftists, along with your buddies in Al Quaeda.
Being that the left is going to implode eventually, guaranteed, there is nothing for me to do but go about my business, sit back, and watch.
Leftists blow things up? You really are a fool. Were the 9/11 terrorists liberal? How bout the Oklahoma bombing, was timmy a liberal? Was Hitler liberal? I think not. Your talking out your ass. You think al quaeda is liberal, come on. And what's this vomit you keep claiming about liberal hate and intolerance, when you use phrases like "liberalism is a mental disorder" and you will be "looking forward to gridlock." What are you setting some kind of example. Your idea of winning is kinda the Charlie Sheen mindset. Do you think you have tiger-blood also
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#18894 Nov 21, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
You must think pretty highly of yourself that you think anyone requires a "pass" from you.
Believe me when I say: Your opinion of yourself is considerably higher than warranted.
No one requires, nor has anyone requested, a "pass" from you.
What's more, I will fight every attempt to institute same sex marriage with my support and my vote. Not because my church has told me to, because it hasn't, but because the Holy Bible itself, used by myriad religions organizations, declares homosexuality to be "abomination".
I'll take the unchanging word of God over the increasingly unsteady word of mankind.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
The word of God changes all the time, most often in the LDS church.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#18895 Nov 21, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
No, waterboarding is not torture.
Evergreen doesn't exist for the good of the country, but for the good of the souls of men and women.
At best, Evergreen is a prime example of a road to hell being paved with good intentions. And that is just giving credit to the parents, who are clearly screwed up because of the beliefs of Mormonism, thinking it is what is best for the child. But trying to force anyone to go against their nature will always lead to a dysfunctional adult.

One aspect of torture is to get people to talk out of fear for their lives. Waterboarding qualifies as torture by that definition. I support the use of waterboarding for the safety of our country. But I'm not going to pretend it is something it isn't. Own it, and be honest about it.

Marysville, CA

#18896 Nov 21, 2012
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>While a church and the government will both take your money and use it for charitable purposes, the government is held accountable. The church will make you all kinds of promises, but in the end they aren't accountable for anything. All you know is what they tell you, that you can buy your way to whichever celestial kingdom your striving for. Which you consider a higher payback. There's no charity for the sake of charity going on in the church, it's all about what you get in return. And what you get in return is a promise of the ultimate entitlement program. It's better than a ponzi scheme. At least with government you can vote their butts out, when they don't fullfill a promise.
I agree. Any organization wanting non-profit status, should be required to have open books when it comes to their finances. People should have a right to informed decisions.
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#18897 Nov 21, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Any organization wanting non-profit status, should be required to have open books when it comes to their finances. People should have a right to informed decisions.
I think it is interesting to note, a secular non-profit must by law provide service to the people, and cannot enrich an individual. Have you seen how monetarily enriched some t.v. evangelists have become? I've seen Pat Robertson on the 700 club telling people if they only have twenty dollars to their name, to go ahead and send it to him, it could save their souls. You have to constantly jump through hoopes to provide a non-profit organization and your status can be withdrawn at any time. Churches also have the benefit of no limits on lobbyists, non-profits do not. And nowhere in the constitution does it provide for tax exemptions for a church.
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#18898 Nov 21, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
At best, Evergreen is a prime example of a road to hell being paved with good intentions. And that is just giving credit to the parents, who are clearly screwed up because of the beliefs of Mormonism, thinking it is what is best for the child. But trying to force anyone to go against their nature will always lead to a dysfunctional adult.
One aspect of torture is to get people to talk out of fear for their lives. Waterboarding qualifies as torture by that definition. I support the use of waterboarding for the safety of our country. But I'm not going to pretend it is something it isn't. Own it, and be honest about it.
Anybody who has had waterboarding used on them was terrorized, and suffered enough anguish to think they were tortured. So for them it was torture. But the sad thing is that America is supposed to be the greatest nation ever, and yet we still have the need to resort to such measures.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#18899 Nov 21, 2012
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Anybody who has had waterboarding used on them was terrorized, and suffered enough anguish to think they were tortured. So for them it was torture. But the sad thing is that America is supposed to be the greatest nation ever, and yet we still have the need to resort to such measures.
yeah, resort to such measures huh? Did you not see the aftermath of 9/11 ? Keeping our country safe, our citizens safe is job 1.
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#18900 Nov 21, 2012
Yes, i can be an ugly monotheist world out there, and of course we must be right in the middle of it. So are you saying you couldn't vote for a muslim? Or are you going to gloss over that question again? America is as barbaric as any other country, and in some ways more so.
frogmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#18901 Nov 21, 2012
youtube.com/watch... ……Mormons are not Christians I say

Marysville, CA

#18902 Nov 21, 2012
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Anybody who has had waterboarding used on them was terrorized, and suffered enough anguish to think they were tortured. So for them it was torture. But the sad thing is that America is supposed to be the greatest nation ever, and yet we still have the need to resort to such measures.
We are the greatest nation, but we still have to deal with barbarians in the only way they will respond. The number 1 job of any government is to protect it's citizens.

Marysville, CA

#18903 Nov 21, 2012
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I think it is interesting to note, a secular non-profit must by law provide service to the people, and cannot enrich an individual. Have you seen how monetarily enriched some t.v. evangelists have become? I've seen Pat Robertson on the 700 club telling people if they only have twenty dollars to their name, to go ahead and send it to him, it could save their souls. You have to constantly jump through hoopes to provide a non-profit organization and your status can be withdrawn at any time. Churches also have the benefit of no limits on lobbyists, non-profits do not. And nowhere in the constitution does it provide for tax exemptions for a church.
If by their personalities they are bringing in the donations, they are worth what they are getting paid. No one is forced to make a donation. I know of some charities that only 25% of what they receive actually get to the people they are getting donations for. Freedom of religion includes non-interference from the government, as long as they are not breaking the law, or promoting the breaking of the law i.e. polygamy etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 2 hr uiha 27,107
Utah man, 77, charged for sunbathing nude 11 hr -Lea- 11
(Mrs.) Marie Osmond Dec 20 Call me JC - really 2
female snapchst users. Dec 20 xragnerosx 1
last post wins! (Jul '11) Dec 18 Concerned_American 351
Utah Ophthalmologists Improve Vision During Cat... (Nov '13) Dec 16 Pavlos Lombardi 3
Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Dec 12 Tagumpay 217

Avalanche Warning for Salt Lake County was issued at December 22 at 5:38AM MST

Salt Lake City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Salt Lake City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Salt Lake City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salt Lake City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News