Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32070 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Daniel

Adrian, MI

#121 Oct 20, 2011


For printing our articles please copy the web page by highlighting the text first - then click copy in the browser- paste the article into a word program on your computer. When the text is transferred into word, click to save or print.













ANOTHER GOSPEL ANOTHER JESUS

1 Cor. 15:1: "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and in which you stand By which also you are saved, if you keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless you have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scripture." the Gospel consists of Three points according to the apostle Paul.

The Gospel concerns Gods son and his work for us to remove our sin . If it is focused on something else other than the cross and his resurrection it is not the gospel of Christ. The Son of God came as the savior (1 Jn 4:14), that he is Lord of the universe, not a being born on a planet IN the universe

2 Cor. 11:3-4 "But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted-- you may well put up with it.(you will have to endure it, or you wear it beautifully, and some do).
Just saying wrote:
Here we have a religion that claims it is christian. The name of the church even bears the name of Christ. And yet so-called Christians go on and on on how they aren't Christian. Please get over yourself.
From the title page of the Book of Mormon:
The purpose of the book is for "convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations"
Unfortunately there are many people who aren't Christians because they don't believe in the bible. God gave these people the book of Mormon to convince them.
I think it's great that there are so many Christians who have faith in Christ based on the bible alone. Maybe the Book of Mormon isnt for them then???
In reality we are fighting on the same team, but somehow Satan has got Christians guns trained on their own.
Just saying

San Diego, CA

#122 Oct 20, 2011
FYI - mormons renounced their stance on blacks in 1978. Since then hundreds of thousands of black members all over the world have joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

FYI - Polygamy was renounced in 1891. Anyone practicing polygamy today is asked to leave the church and are not considered mormons.

If people knew more about mormons and their beliefs they would realize the the key tenet of the religion is that Jesus is the Christ and the redeemer of the world.

We read and respect the bible just as much as the Book of Mormon. We see them as a history of two different peoples in different parts of the world. We aren't preaching a different gospel, or a religion about Zeus, atheism, or other world religion. We are preaching Christ and trying to convince the world to believe in him too.

There are a lot of lies about mormonism or old doctrines that aren't practiced today that people keep bringing up. When Christ returns to earth he will validate our claims.

If you want to learn more, please talk to your neighbor, chances are he's mormon too.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#124 Oct 20, 2011
No they did not renounce their stance. They said in 1978 that God changed the rules. Therefore saying that "Blacks still WERE cursed" before then.

You still have doctrine in your scriptures saying that black people are black due to a mark on cain, native americans still are dark due to a mark on some Lamanites. You have a "book of Moses" saying that Cain was marked with a skin of blackness

This is in MORMON scripture... but this is NOT Biblical, Moses did not write this.

THe notion a curse like this went past Jesus redemption and remain until 1976??

THIS IS NOT CHRISTIAN!

So NO!
Just saying wrote:
FYI - mormons renounced their stance on blacks in 1978. Since then hundreds of thousands of black members all over the world have joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
FYI - Polygamy was renounced in 1891. Anyone practicing polygamy today is asked to leave the church and are not considered mormons.
If people knew more about mormons and their beliefs they would realize the the key tenet of the religion is that Jesus is the Christ and the redeemer of the world.
We read and respect the bible just as much as the Book of Mormon. We see them as a history of two different peoples in different parts of the world. We aren't preaching a different gospel, or a religion about Zeus, atheism, or other world religion. We are preaching Christ and trying to convince the world to believe in him too.
There are a lot of lies about mormonism or old doctrines that aren't practiced today that people keep bringing up. When Christ returns to earth he will validate our claims.
If you want to learn more, please talk to your neighbor, chances are he's mormon too.

Since: Oct 10

Salt Lake City, UT

#125 Oct 20, 2011
Just saying wrote:
FYI - mormons renounced their stance on blacks in 1978. Since then hundreds of thousands of black members all over the world have joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
FYI - Polygamy was renounced in 1891. Anyone practicing polygamy today is asked to leave the church and are not considered mormons.
If people knew more about mormons and their beliefs they would realize the the key tenet of the religion is that Jesus is the Christ and the redeemer of the world.
We read and respect the bible just as much as the Book of Mormon. We see them as a history of two different peoples in different parts of the world. We aren't preaching a different gospel, or a religion about Zeus, atheism, or other world religion. We are preaching Christ and trying to convince the world to believe in him too.
There are a lot of lies about mormonism or old doctrines that aren't practiced today that people keep bringing up. When Christ returns to earth he will validate our claims.
If you want to learn more, please talk to your neighbor, chances are he's mormon too.
Anybody who was an adult before 1978 and a member of the mormon church was a racist, because the church was a racist organization. Doesn't matter if the mormons renounced their stance or not, why should anybody respect anybody was used to be racist but only changed their mind because their silly god told them to?

Since: Oct 10

Salt Lake City, UT

#126 Oct 20, 2011
Just saying wrote:
FYI - Polygamy was renounced in 1891. Anyone practicing polygamy today is asked to leave the church and are not considered mormons.
And by the way, you mormons are fooling us about polygamy. You people pretend you are monogamous because men only have one wife on Earth, but just wait for the Clitestrial Kingdom when many wives are waiting for him! Almost like jihadists getting 72 virgins!
Just saying

San Jose, CA

#127 Oct 20, 2011
Many blacks were Mormon before 1978.

Racism exists in all faiths, so please don't take a holier than thou stance. There are many so called Christians today that are racists.

Mormons don't teach polygamy now or in the next life. These are extrapolations from teachings over 100 years old.

The heart of Mormonism is the belief in Christ and that is why the church is called after his name. You don't have to accept that, but the truth is we follow Christ probably just as valiantly as our fellow Christians.

Since: Oct 11

Talisay, Philippines

#128 Oct 21, 2011
all of your questions about the Book of Mormon will be answered by those who have actually read it instead of those who have never even seen a real copy..i agree, because even me i didn't saw a real copy of the book of Mormon.. so, let them spread the word of god as long as it is for the good of all.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#129 Oct 21, 2011
brennl wrote:
all of your questions about the Book of Mormon will be answered by those who have actually read it instead of those who have never even seen a real copy..i agree, because even me i didn't saw a real copy of the book of Mormon.. so, let them spread the word of god as long as it is for the good of all.
All you have to do is stay in a Marriott-owned property and you have your own Book of Moron (for the night) in the nightstand. And for my money it's the thickest piece of garbage fiction one can ever read. Mark Twain got it right - "Chloroform in print" he called it. And it is. Better than NyQuil or Benadryl for inducing drowsiness.

But no. I never had the urge to take one of them home. Believe me, if you're not already in the cult it's pure tripe.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#130 Oct 21, 2011
Just saying wrote:
Many blacks were Mormon before 1978.
Racism exists in all faiths, so please don't take a holier than thou stance. There are many so called Christians today that are racists.
Mormons don't teach polygamy now or in the next life. These are extrapolations from teachings over 100 years old.
The heart of Mormonism is the belief in Christ and that is why the church is called after his name. You don't have to accept that, but the truth is we follow Christ probably just as valiantly as our fellow Christians.
Ah, so the Morons get a pass because all the OTHER religions were also racist? I thought the Morons were the ONE TRUE church that had live prophecy from elohim himself. So hows come did it take ol' Elohim over 150 years to get them to officially (not scripturally or in thought or action mind you) purge their racism. Arent you Morons supposed to be "special" in that regard???????

How come were you the very LAST ones to get rid of your official racism?

Oh, and by the way, when referring to Polygamy, just go into D&C Section 132. Read that a while. Paste it here for all to read. If you don't, I will later. Explain it. Is this still holy scripture?

More Moron Double Talk
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#131 Oct 21, 2011
The bible says so. Do you see john smith, or the book of mormon mentioned in the bible? HELL NO!

“Philippians 4:13”

Since: Jun 11

Lexington

#132 Oct 21, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
The bible says so. Do you see john smith, or the book of mormon mentioned in the bible? HELL NO!
Well, quite the contrary. The bible foretells that there will be false doctrines and prophets that lead MANY astray. I believe that has happened many times in the past and today as well.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#133 Oct 21, 2011
Interested11342 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, quite the contrary. The bible foretells that there will be false doctrines and prophets that lead MANY astray. I believe that has happened many times in the past and today as well.
This is true...one of the false doctrines is mormonism and the book of mormon. There are also some false catholic doctrines going around.
Just saying

San Diego, CA

#134 Oct 21, 2011
Sounds like people here just want to hate on mormons just like people have hated on blacks and others throughout the centuries.

Making fun of other peoples beliefs reminds me of grade school. When adults do it that pretty much classifies you as a bigot. I'm sorry if you have a difference of opinion on Mormon's beliefs. No reason to get all crazy and make fun of them. If that means your a christian, then mormons are better off not being associated with them.

Please get over yourselves and let people classify themselves the way they think best. If mormons want to be called Christian let them be.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#135 Oct 21, 2011
SO WHAT!

Many blacks are part of gangs, does that mean gangs are correct in their philosophy?

There are many Christians that are racists, but that stance is known as "partiality" in the Bible and "contempt" and various other sins. But Mormonism goes even further. By putting those sins in the Bible as orthodoxy and scripture, as god inspired acts of goodness.
As if Moses himself wrote that racism INTO the word of God!
Just saying wrote:
Many blacks were Mormon before 1978.
Racism exists in all faiths, so please don't take a holier than thou stance. There are many so called Christians today that are racists.
Mormons don't teach polygamy now or in the next life. These are extrapolations from teachings over 100 years old.
The heart of Mormonism is the belief in Christ and that is why the church is called after his name. You don't have to accept that, but the truth is we follow Christ probably just as valiantly as our fellow Christians.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#136 Oct 21, 2011
Its not for the good of all!
brennl wrote:
all of your questions about the Book of Mormon will be answered by those who have actually read it instead of those who have never even seen a real copy..i agree, because even me i didn't saw a real copy of the book of Mormon.. so, let them spread the word of god as long as it is for the good of all.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#137 Oct 21, 2011
Blasphemy exists in various faiths, so follow the one true blasphemous corrupt one!

IN fact, follow the one that tries to literally add racism to the text of the Bible, because if you change the text and then say that you are restoring it, then it automatically means you are telling the truth, because you "feel it to be true in the depths of your heart".

As if you truly feel that this racist hate is "TRUE"!!!!

Oh and check this out, the white racist methodists and baptists, they were all, accoding to Smith, corrupt and their institutions are false... EXCEPT THE WHITE SUPREMACY!

They had THAT ONE RIGHT!
Just saying wrote:
Many blacks were Mormon before 1978.
Racism exists in all faiths, so please don't take a holier than thou stance. There are many so called Christians today that are racists.
Mormons don't teach polygamy now or in the next life. These are extrapolations from teachings over 100 years old.
The heart of Mormonism is the belief in Christ and that is why the church is called after his name. You don't have to accept that, but the truth is we follow Christ probably just as valiantly as our fellow Christians.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#138 Oct 21, 2011
Wow!

Hypocracy at it's FINEST! It's ok for Mormons to hate blacks, but not ok for blacks to reflect that hate back upon them.
Just saying wrote:
Sounds like people here just want to hate on mormons just like people have hated on blacks and others throughout the centuries.
Al Bundy

Apo, AE

#139 Oct 22, 2011
How can a religion that was founded by a guy sticking his head in a hole and seeing another holy book be taken serious by anyone?

Just read "Under the Banner of Heaven for a real understanding of the Mormons.

Yes the FLDS branch still practices polygamy.

Since: Oct 11

Dousman

#140 Oct 22, 2011
Mommy2Bof3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad that you claim to know the Bible, but you dont. It says in Duet. to not add anything. But we have Numbers and so on after that. Revelations was actually written before the rest of the New Testament. It isnt set up chronologically, but by size. So, everything after that scripture in Revelations must be null and void as well, according to your logic. Actually, everything written after Deut. would be....
The scripture you speak of means do not add or subtract from the current writings so as to change the meaning. Unfortunately, that has been done to the Bible many times. Which brings me to the question: which of the literally hundreds of versions of the Bible is the REAL Bible? Is it the one that okays homosexual relations? Or the one that states that you must pay the church money to absolve your sins? There is no original text of the Bible, so there is no way to know for sure which one is truly the word of God. That is where the Book of Mormon comes in. It validates the teachings in the Bible and clarifies what the Bible is saying by providing another testament of Jesus Christ.
Okay, first of all, just to clear this up, did you just say that Numbers comes after Deuteronomy? Because it doesn't...
Anyways, the passage you're referring to says do not add or subtract, which Joseph Smith had done to start with. Also, there are also many, many passages warning about false prophets showing up after the bible has been written.
And sure, there's no way to tell which was the original scripture, but isn't it best to just keep everything that was there there and not add in whatever you want to suit your desires?

Since: Aug 07

United States

#141 Oct 22, 2011
There is no way anyone can be convinced of the truth of anything from the outside. Nothing. Convincing someone of the truth of the LDS Church is not a trivial "procedure," that someone can do.

It is only through the influence of the Holy Spirit that a person can know the LDS Church is true. On the surface, ANY church is a stretch. To believe in ANY faith makes logic stand on its head.

As to the LDS Church, Protestants see it as a threat. That is alright, for it is. If the First Vision, which is a cornerstone of the Church, is true, it means all churches on the earth at that time were either incomplete or corrupt. Of COURSE we would be vilified by them! It is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE for them to say differently.

By the way, the name of the man is Joseph Smith, Jr. He was killed by a mob because the mob disliked him for the sins they imagined he did...which he hadn't done, but he WAS a threat to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In a national first, LGBT advocates sue Utah sc... 18 hr Bloomp 11
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) 18 hr Lucy 28,895
More Problems with the Book of Mormon Sun Loujean 33
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Sun Cornilious 83
Mitt Romney is a turd Sun Cornilious 31
Utah sucks Sat Jaquell 2
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Dec 2 Robin 34

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salt Lake City Mortgages