Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32099 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

RachelEC

Brussels, Belgium

#7266 May 4, 2012
Old Man wrote:
<quoted text>
9. The Mormon is the biggest cult group in the world.
10. They practice child marriage, and more than one wife.
11. They brain wash children in Sunday School, so they can't make the right choices.
time to put yourself up to date...
RachelEC

Brussels, Belgium

#7267 May 4, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Being born and raised in the church, did I really have a choice but to believe? It is natural for children to trust their parents. But I remember my first doubts concerning Mormonism begin when I was 5 or 6. It had to do with the General Authorities "suggesting" that members don't drink cola's. In my home, a GA "suggestion" was a command straight from the mouth of God. I remember jsut thinking how stupid it was that God would care about soft drinks.
<quoted text>
The evil teachings are the ones that call the black race cursed, and that black skin was the curse. The teaching that God demanded polygamy or be damned. The denying of the grace of Jesus Christ and the members thinking they get their glory based on their righteousness and not Christ's. The lie that families can be forever, when Jesus clearly taught they are not, especially eternal marriage. The denial that the blood of Jesus wasn't enough to cover all sin, these are evil teachings that take people away from the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. I can list many more if you wish.
I'd dearly like to know where Jesus said in the Bible families could not be together forever. And being born IN the church does not oblige you to believe in it, and stay for 33 years. And yes, dark skin is a curse, but that is WRITTEN IN THE BIBLE !! People who have black skin are descendants of CAIN : that doesn't make us RACIST ! When I left the USA to go to Europe, the first thing I missed was seeing blacks around because I had very close colored friends, and I usually got along well with them ! And the think about soft drinks : it's got to do with the coffee in cola, but you can find cola without coffee and I never heard general authorities say you couldn't drink cola. We're not denying the grace of Jesus, because we are teaching of his grace and we even have hymns about it. Christ's righteousness put us on the right path, now it's up to us to decide if we'll be like him or not, so we can't think we'll be saved just because Christ was righteous because it would be a bit too easy. Jesus' sacrifice allowed us to be saved if we do what we must. We can't be saved otherwise, we've got to repent of our sins too. But then again, can't prove any of it until we die and it happens, but I think it's better to believe in something happy (such as being together forever if we make the right choices) than believing as in greek mythology that when we die we all go to hell. Otherwise, what's the point of being on this earth ???
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7268 May 4, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
My definition would include not denying people rights because of the color of their skin. It would also include not judging people for being what God made them to be. The LDS church isn't tolerant in those areas.
we have never judged them on their color, it's even in the old testament, and we certainly don't today !!
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7269 May 4, 2012
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text> you need to also throw in lies and @#!*%. It's sad that the members of the LDS are living a lie. Their whole life is a lie and they all are to dumb to see it..
well live your life the way we want and so will we and see when we die who goes in the spiritual prison and who does not !
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7270 May 4, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The dishonest one is you. The saying came from a First Presidency Message of the Church's own Ensign. That is a Mormon leaders message to the members, and the leaders certainly mean what they say. He goes on in that message to reaffirm that he meant it:
"I pondered his statement at the time. I did not then have the full understanding of it that my father had, but I remembered it every time I approached temptation. I understand it better now, and I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT MY MY SONS AND GRANDSONS AS HE FELT ABOUT ME."
In other words, he would rather they died than have sex. That is really sick and disgusting. What will come next in the LDS church? Honor killings? The message was plain and written in simple English. The only one lying here is you about your church.
<quoted text>
I didn't know you were there, shocking. Again, you can lie to yourself, but any honest Mormon here will admit they have heard the same slogan and maybe even used it on their own kids.
<quoted text>
He wasn't talking about killing his wife to save their souls? What does: "and put a javelin through both of them, you would be justified, and they would atone for their sins, and be received into the kingdom of God" mean to you? You tell us what he was really saying then.
<quoted text>
"Thinking they were wise, they became fools..."
might I know which statement ?
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7271 May 4, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me about your "free agency" the next time a member may be breaking the word of wisdom but still wants a temple recommend. Tell us about how you don't compel your members then.
If they truely believe in the church, they won't break the word of wisdom, besides, everyone knows drinking destroys your brain, and smoking kills you, and drinking coffee makes your nervous system topple, and drugs basically kill you too... If the person really wants a temple recommend, then he'll know what to do, but he certainly has a choice to whether or not he will break the word of wisdom, and that is the "free agency" of choosing whether he wants a temple recommend or not !
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7272 May 4, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
Mitt Flip Flopper is not a Christian but Obama is.
Evangelicals in the GOP are such hypocrites.
so what exactly is a christian ?
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7273 May 4, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
"Does the Mormon church condemn other religious systems? The answer is definitely, "Yes."
carm.org
depends what you call "condemning"
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7274 May 4, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
"Mormons Hope to Become Gods of Their Own Worlds
Procreating Endless Numbers of Children
The LDS scriptures declare that the ultimate goal of a Mormon is to become a god and procreate for all eternity."
Become a God?
Now THAT is something for whackadoodles.
believe what you will and I will believe what I will, ok ?
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7275 May 4, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to see them as a Mormon child or teen.
Well I think I'm well placed to say I see it as a teen, and that effectively I'm not obliged to anything. I had some "spiritual trouble" not long ago (now I'm over it, evidently) and if I didn't want to go to church, well, my parents could try to make me go there but I wouldn't, and even if I was sent along, pulled in the car in my PJs, I didn't attend the meetings, remained in the parking lot the whole of the three hours, which I now realize is sorta sad. I can break any law if I want. It's like killing or stealing. It's against the law (of the country). I can kill if I want to, but I don't control the consequences, good or bad. Same here. Can go whichever way I want, and the consequences will depend of the choice that I made.
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7276 May 4, 2012
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
In the same way they tell gay people that they can marry anybody of the opposite sex that they want.
In the same way that s psrent allows their brussels-sprout hating child to have their dessert at any time if they choose to eat their brussels sprouts first.
Yeah, they can certainly say that they aren't compelling anybody to do anything, but it's like denying that Joey aaid anything about the planet Kolob - because it was a star near the planet Kolob.
There was an excellent piece on Mormon hair-splitting on RFM a while back.
that's what you don't get ! we're not compelling anyone to do anything, it's the private choice. Of course as a teen, your parents are going to be bringing you to church whether you like it or not and teach you what they believe in, because 1 : they think it's best for you (and you might believe they're wrong and I used to think like that too) 2 : simply because they are your parents and that you are not 18 yet and therefore they have responsibility over you. That doesn't OBLIGE you to follow the teachings : you can doze off during sunday school for all I care (actually I do because I'm sad when I hear someone doesn't want to listen), you don't have to follow the law of chastity and so on, up to you. people who are gay can marry someone of the same sex if they want to : they just have to choose between being gay or following the church because the two don't go together, and that's a personal choice and I (I don't know for other people) am not judging anyone who goes that way. They do whatever they want, I just believe there are consequences afterwards and it pains me.
RachelEClarens

Brussels, Belgium

#7277 May 4, 2012
Old Man wrote:
hey all Mormons do you all give good head or do you not beleive in oral sex. Most other religions see Mormons as a cult, I sure do. All Mormons want preteen wives, and the more the better. You guys are sick.
can't you be slightly more respectful, and put yourself up to date ? and you can see the church as you wish (though it might not necessarily be true)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#7278 May 4, 2012
RachelEClarens wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I think I'm well placed to say I see it as a teen, and that effectively I'm not obliged to anything. I had some "spiritual trouble" not long ago (now I'm over it, evidently) and if I didn't want to go to church, well, my parents could try to make me go there but I wouldn't, and even if I was sent along, pulled in the car in my PJs, I didn't attend the meetings, remained in the parking lot the whole of the three hours, which I now realize is sorta sad. I can break any law if I want. It's like killing or stealing. It's against the law (of the country). I can kill if I want to, but I don't control the consequences, good or bad. Same here. Can go whichever way I want, and the consequences will depend of the choice that I made.
Very wise thinking on your part! Bravo!

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#7279 May 4, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! What a fine collection of quotations! Did you type all that, or just cut and paste? Either way, thanks!
But if you wanted folks to learn about God's Church, you could have saved yourself a lot of time and just sent them to this link:
www.moron.org
No problem! I love showing people how ignorant you are of your own faith. I've done that every time you have called me a liar.

utlm.org
exmormon.org

Marysville, CA

#7280 May 4, 2012
RachelEC wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd dearly like to know where Jesus said in the Bible families could not be together forever.
Concerning marriage after death, Jesus clearly taught:
Matthew 22:30
For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Marriage is the family foundation. If there are no married people, there will be none of the same family relationships
And being born IN the church does not oblige you to believe in it, and stay for 33 years.
You're right, but I didn't wanted to come to terms with the fact my parents were ignorant when they joined the LDS church. I wanted to believe they knew what they were doing. I kept trying and trying to make Mormonism work, but it never did, and it wasn't until I read the Bible without trying to make it fit the teachings of the LDS church that I saw what was really being taught in the Bible. Mormonism, was not it.
And yes, dark skin is a curse, but that is WRITTEN IN THE BIBLE !! People who have black skin are descendants of CAIN : that doesn't make us RACIST !
No where does it say that the curse of Cain was getting black skin. It said he was "marked". Marked could have been like a birth mark, or tattoo. It is racist to call black skin a curse from God. It is intolerant to say otherwise, and you should be ashamed.
When I left the USA to go to Europe, the first thing I missed was seeing blacks around because I had very close colored friends, and I usually got along well with them !
Did they know what you really thought of them? That they were cursed? I bet would have changed their feelings towards you.
And the think about soft drinks : it's got to do with the coffee in cola, but you can find cola without coffee and I never heard general authorities say you couldn't drink cola.
The church back away from it now, even though you still can't buy a regular cola on the BYU campus. But 1972 in "The Priesthood Bulletin" the leaders advised members not to drink colas. Vaughn J. Featherstone talks about it in this speech:

"I was over in England a while back and a bishop asked me,“What is the Church’s stand on cola drinks?” I said,“Well, I can’t remember the exact wording of the bulletin, but I remember seeing the bulletin when I was a stake president. The Church, of course, advises against them.”

"He said,“Well, I have read the Priesthood Bulletin, but that isn’t what it says to me.”

"And I said,“Would you get your Priesthood Bulletin? Let’s read it together.” And so we found under the heading “Cola Drinks”:“… the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs.…”(The Priesthood Bulletin, Feb. 1972, p. 4.)

"He said,“Well, you see, that doesn’t mean cola.”

"I said,“Well, I guess you will have to come to your own grips with that, but to me, there is no question.” You see, there can’t be the slightest particle of rebellion, and in him there is. We can find loopholes in a lot of things if we want to bend the rules of the Church."

Many members fanatically avoided colas after that bulletin, and it was only a suggestion.

To be continued...

Location hidden

#7281 May 4, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem! I love showing people how ignorant you are of your own faith. I've done that every time you have called me a liar.
utlm.org
exmormon.org
No, what you do is merely demonstrate your own rigid bigotry, and hostile attitude towards God's church on earth, which you have openly rejected.

The words you quoted stand on their own, and are shining examples unto themselves, as long as you refrain from offering your own negative commentary.

Folks can find out more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ here:

www.mormon.org

Location hidden

#7282 May 4, 2012
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>Carey, I noticed that you are still living a bullshit lie...
If that is what you noticed, then you had better work on your perception skills.

Marysville, CA

#7283 May 4, 2012
We're not denying the grace of Jesus, because we are teaching of his grace and we even have hymns about it.
If your salvation depends on your ability to keep the commandments and not solely on the grace of Jesus Christ, you are denying his grace:

Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

2 Timothy 1:9
who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Christ's righteousness put us on the right path, now it's up to us to decide if we'll be like him or not, so we can't think we'll be saved just because Christ was righteous because it would be a bit too easy.
And with that statement, you have just shown you don't understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Jesus' sacrifice allowed us to be saved if we do what we must.
Read the verses again, if you have to earn it, it is no longer a gift, therefore it is no longer grace.
We can't be saved otherwise, we've got to repent of our sins too. But then again, can't prove any of it until we die and it happens, but I think it's better to believe in something happy (such as being together forever if we make the right choices) than believing as in greek mythology that when we die we all go to hell. Otherwise, what's the point of being on this earth ???
Believing in something happy, if it is a lie, does you no good. If you think hell is Greek Mythology, then you are saying that Jesus believed in Greek Mythology, because he certainly taught about hell:

Matthew 16:18
I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

Luke 10:15
And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will be brought down to Hades!

In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.

You can't claim to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ and deny what he clearly taught. Fairy tales from Joseph Smith get you nothing.

Marysville, CA

#7284 May 4, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
No, what you do is merely demonstrate your own rigid bigotry, and hostile attitude towards God's church on earth, which you have openly rejected.
The words you quoted stand on their own, and are shining examples unto themselves, as long as you refrain from offering your own negative commentary.
Folks can find out more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ here:
www.moron.org
Be an idiot all you want, the honest will see things clearly.

To go where there are no idiots:
utlm.org
exmormon.org

Marysville, CA

#7285 May 4, 2012
RachelEClarens wrote:
<quoted text>
might I know which statement ?
The Brigham Young one? Sure:

Suppose you found your brother in bed with your wife, and put a javelin through both of them, you would be justified, and they would atone for their sins, and be received into the kingdom of God. I would at once do so in such a case; and under such circumstances, I have no wife whom I love so well that I would not put a javelin through her heart, and I would do it with clean hands.(Brigham Young,“Instructions to the Bishops, Etc.,” Journal of Discourses, reported by G.D. Watt 16 March 1856, Vol. 3 (London: Latter-Day Saint’s Book Depot, 1856), 247. The entire sermon is on pages 243-249.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News These two 'Gilmore Girls' stars just posted a p... 20 min GREG 3
Jayden Sterzer (Apr '16) Wed White 54 25
Review: Anna Trupp Lcsw (Jun '14) Jul 14 Speakout 8
News Christopher Muther/Globe Staff Christopher Muth... Jul 14 Tea Bag Residue C... 2
Coffee leads to longer life and better health, ... Jul 13 Bull Durham 3
News UTA PARATRANSIT: UTA says Paratransit riders ma... (Feb '10) Jul 12 Tyler 4
News Name of man who shot neighbor Murray shooting s... Jul 11 Cchristoff 2

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salt Lake City Mortgages