Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32075 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

pearl

Sandy, UT

#33272 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I explained that I had been sarcastic in past posts using your logic in a reversed manner. Why can't you read what I write? I didn't state as fact you claimed US prisoners were slaves. I explained that to you. Please take a moment to read what I write will you?
And thanks for the reup on forced labor. I understand what it is. I saw it. We actually have it in the US Federal prison systems and some state prisons. The prison law goes like this. If you live in population and jobs are available to be had, prisoners will fill those jobs. If a prisoner rejects the work, they get sent to the hole, a tiny cell large enough for one or double bunks, a shitter wash basin combo and a table-chair affixed to the wall. They have about five feet to pace back and forth in. So all prisoners take the job as it's being forced on them.
But in UNICOR, to get inmates to work in the factories, they offer on average .80 cents to a buck an hour to start with. Months later if they haven't screwed up or broke rules and are still working, they'll get a ten to twenty cent raise. If they quit, their option is the hole till they agree to come out and work in population again.
Unicor also uses forced prison labor and slave wages to make mail bag locks for the US mail service among other non-military made items.
So understand when I use the phrase "slave wages" I'm speaking of people that are in such a economic position that the only $ to be made is by a forced choice or they make no $ at all because of the lack of work opportunities that a company is using in their favor. The company makes the only factory in the area and offers slave wages and those people there are forced to take what is offered because nothing else exists for work, understand? That's another form of "forced labor" when the worker has no other options at hand but to go without.
So that's you idea of forced labor? A choice of working or rejecting work at which point you go to a cell where you have the option to pace. No mention of threats of serious harm? No physical restraint? Gee do they still get dinner? Raped? A bed? A roof over their head? Medical attention? Safe working conditions? You obviously think you know what forced labor is, but by what you describe here, you really don't. And none of what you mention, comes close to the international standard I provided to you. What you describe here looks more like the typical American standard, except the prisoners still get food, even if they "reject" work. You even note the prisoners have the option to reject work, how is that forced labor?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33273 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Your first mistake obviously done on purpose was to rehash in part of your post about something that I made a correction about. I did use the word "most". But I corrected myself to Nomo and you saying..."I was incorrect to use the word "most". my bad."
Next, I did mock Nomo. She lives in Utah and has proven for two years she loves to read anything bad and negative about Mormons, including information about splinter Mormon polygamous groups. She's spoke of them on numerous occasions. So it was my thinking(of course I was wrong)that she would have come across numbers for how many polygamous groups there were verses individual polygamous families. That info would have allowed her to understand there are many, many consenting adults in polygamous families where children aren't being forced into illegal marriages.
You do a lot of sticking up for Nomo and Dana? Don't you think their adult enough to handle responses on their own without your constant help as a parent would do for a child? I note on occasions when you speak up for them, they don't make a reply, just like a situation where a parent speaks up for a child because the parent doesn't feel the child is intelligent enough to make a good response of their own. What is this mothering thing you do? Habit? I did some loof see in past posts. You defend Nomo more than Dana. Do you know Nomo? Are you related to her? Is that why you have this "rescue syndrome" going for her?
Nomo calls me a prejudicial bigot because I support peoples rights to believe as they do concerning marriage. Yet Nomo unknowingly till I pointed it out is the biggest and most sincerest prejudicial biased bigots about marriage going. She cries foul about inequality justice for ssm yet she sees no problem denying marriage equality to two other minority groups having their own specific forms of marriage that exist on this earth and have existed for who knows how long. Why don't you defend her on that one?
I've defended Mouse on occasion also, does that bother you too?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#33274 Mar 31, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Just a few, really? Is that more than a couple but less than a dozen? Well geez, that makes sense, if it's only a few, fuck em, it's that it?
And yes, I agree that walking up to a soldier and giving a uninvited opinion of their service is messed up. Degrading remarks can be damaging and I see you feel strong enough to speak out about that. So why do you come here day in and day out and refer to Nomo as vile, ugly, retarded and any other derogatory name you can come up with? Why do you day in and day out claim to anyone that will listen that Nomo is just an ugly person full of hate and rage? Are you performing a public service? Gotta make sure everyone knows what you think of Nomo? If your comments push her over the edge and she kills herself can we go ahead and agree that you caused it? Or is it' let me guess, your way of being helpful?
He thinks typing the word shit is vile..but typing a "*" for the "i" makes it all ok. An asterisk makes all the difference in his world.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33275 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you don't know this but the public and the Viet vets made their peace along time ago, yet the Viet vets are still killing themselves in droves. The vets knew what to expect from the public upon their return, they knew the tone of the country, what they didn't expect was the betrayal of their government, most notably the V.A. To go fight a hideous war only to have to abandon it proving it was all for not. That was the slap in the face, THEIR STILL KILLING THEMSELVES and nobody is calling them baby killers. Are there Iraq war vets killing themselves, yep, lots. Are you going to say it's because of God hates dead soldier protests? They kill themselves because they can't adjust. Not because of what a protester thinks.
Twisting things again, why do you do that? Do you have a hard time staying with the context of the conversation? Is that it?
I was addressing how Viet vets were treated during and right after the war, not 20 or 30 or 40 years later as you twisted it to. I was talking of during the war and right after the war. Go back and read what I wrote if you can't remember the time frame.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33276 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, I see your not going to let this go so, I'll address this pressing issue, tell me, what makes you think I have products in my home produced by slave labor
Because most Americans have products in their home that were made in foreign countries like China, India, Japan to name a few. And the odds are that product(s) or piecework made for that product more than likely came from some US defined form of forced/slave labor.
So unless you can state without a doubt that every product used to build the residence you live in and every single item in your residence was made and produced right here in America, you stand guilty as you charge others of being. Understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33277 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>So you believe in demons and prophets, good and evil, is that about it in a nutshell?
Humans are the only specie of billions that have lived and live on this earth that regulate themselves by what we define as good and evil. So yes, I believe that fact about us. As to demons, never saw one, never met one. I know humans that other humans have called devils and demons because of certain negative actions and negative attitudes they did and had that others didn't like. Do they count? I do believe prophets existed and do exist now. I call them "wisemen" and "wise women" who seem to have a handle on aspects of life that the rest of us are slow to comprehend.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33278 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>So that's you idea of forced labor? A choice of working or rejecting work at which point you go to a cell where you have the option to pace. No mention of threats of serious harm? No physical restraint? Gee do they still get dinner? Raped? A bed? A roof over their head? Medical attention? Safe working conditions? You obviously think you know what forced labor is, but by what you describe here, you really don't. And none of what you mention, comes close to the international standard I provided to you. What you describe here looks more like the typical American standard, except the prisoners still get food, even if they "reject" work. You even note the prisoners have the option to reject work, how is that forced labor?
Prisoners aren't suppose to work in prisons. Prisoners were suppose to sit and die doing nothing in prison unless they were released before death. You don't understand that was the original intent for prisoners.
As prisons began to increase, guards got the idea to use forced labor so they wouldn't have to spend extra $ on civilian guards to do what they decided to make a prisoner do to save costs.
So prisoners were forced to do work within and even without the prison walls in our early American centuries. If a prisoner didn't work, they beat him and punished him up until the sixties when people began to get ruffled at how prisoners were physically punished for acting out and refusing to work.
So forcing prisoners to work by threatening them to be locked up in a small tiny cell till they gave in and agreed to work has been taking place to date. It's psychological warfare and the government always wins no matter the outcome.
And yes, by your own definition, that's forced labor.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33279 Apr 1, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Prisoners aren't suppose to work in prisons. Prisoners were suppose to sit and die doing nothing in prison unless they were released before death. You don't understand that was the original intent for prisoners.
As prisons began to increase, guards got the idea to use forced labor so they wouldn't have to spend extra $ on civilian guards to do what they decided to make a prisoner do to save costs.
So prisoners were forced to do work within and even without the prison walls in our early American centuries. If a prisoner didn't work, they beat him and punished him up until the sixties when people began to get ruffled at how prisoners were physically punished for acting out and refusing to work.
So forcing prisoners to work by threatening them to be locked up in a small tiny cell till they gave in and agreed to work has been taking place to date. It's psychological warfare and the government always wins no matter the outcome.
And yes, by your own definition, that's forced labor.
But really you have no idea if I understand the "original intent for prisoners" since we never discussed that particular topic. Rehabilitation was not a concept for the original prison system as it claims to be now. During colonial times some small offenses were usually dealt with by putting the guilty on public display to humiliate and humble.And anyone that is aware of American history, is aware of chain gangs. You do tend to assume things, which explains why your conclusions are wrong. If you think I'm going to defend the prison system you're wrong again. As I mentioned before the prison system is corrupt and inefficient just like every system in this nation. But just by your own words you paint an absurd picture, as in this statement, "So forcing prisoners to work by threatening them to be locked up in a small tiny {redundant as usual} cell till they gave in...} really, opposed to what, being locked up in a large spacious cell? And as I pointed out before the definition I provided is the international standard.So if no government agency is allowed to procure products that involve slave labor and they buy products from Unicor which uses slave labor how do yo think they get around that issue? You also claim in one statement that prisoners were "beat and punished up until the sixties", then go on to state that now {according to you} they are only threatened to be locked up. This misleads the reader as to what your point really is. The prison system sucks, if that is a point you are trying to make, then I agree. If you're point is that the government is corrupt, then I agree. I'm just really not sure why you dragged Unicor into the conversation. Is it to show that government takes advantage of slave labor?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33280 Apr 1, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans are the only specie of billions that have lived and live on this earth that regulate themselves by what we define as good and evil. So yes, I believe that fact about us. As to demons, never saw one, never met one. I know humans that other humans have called devils and demons because of certain negative actions and negative attitudes they did and had that others didn't like. Do they count? I do believe prophets existed and do exist now. I call them "wisemen" and "wise women" who seem to have a handle on aspects of life that the rest of us are slow to comprehend.
I'm curious why you think human are the only species that "regulate themselves" {you use the strangest word combinations} according to good and evil. Personally, I don't believe in the concept of good and evil, so could you define that concept?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33281 Apr 1, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Because most Americans have products in their home that were made in foreign countries like China, India, Japan to name a few. And the odds are that product(s) or piecework made for that product more than likely came from some US defined form of forced/slave labor.
So unless you can state without a doubt that every product used to build the residence you live in and every single item in your residence was made and produced right here in America, you stand guilty as you charge others of being. Understand?
So you are assuming I have slave products in my home because most Americans do? And with that assumption I'm a hypocrite. Is that about the gist of it? And you'll have to show my where I charged others, I thought I just asked why one would buy a shirt from Walmart or any store knowing it was made with slave labor. I don't recall claiming you or anyone as being guilty of being a a hypocrite. I only asked how you would justify doing that. In fact I don't think I've ever called anyone here a hypocrite. I'm just trying to clarify a few things here, like if most homes and all appliances involve slave labor {as you claim} where can I get an appliance and still be opposed to slave labor? You've claimed the title of a' know it all", I didn't hear anybody else refer to you that way, so it must be self imposed. so tell me how does one live a modern American lifestyle without using slave labor? Surely you must have an answer. Is there some way I can own a fridge, speak out against slave labor, and not be a hypocrite? And while we are on the topic, you know I've heard some Christians claim they are opposed to sin, and speak out against it, yet admit they are guilty of sin almost daily, surely you must view them as hypocrites, yes? Or is there a different standard you use for varying issues?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33282 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Just a few, really? Is that more than a couple but less than a dozen? Well geez, that makes sense, if it's only a few, fuck em, it's that it?
And yes, I agree that walking up to a soldier and giving a uninvited opinion of their service is messed up. Degrading remarks can be damaging and I see you feel strong enough to speak out about that. So why do you come here day in and day out and refer to Nomo as vile, ugly, retarded and any other derogatory name you can come up with? Why do you day in and day out claim to anyone that will listen that Nomo is just an ugly person full of hate and rage? Are you performing a public service? Gotta make sure everyone knows what you think of Nomo? If your comments push her over the edge and she kills herself can we go ahead and agree that you caused it? Or is it' let me guess, your way of being helpful?
Concerning my response to the actual percentage of homosexuals wanting to engage in marriage, your response was way off base as usual. I also note when you do many posts, Dana doesn't. When Dana does many posts, you don't. Coincidence?

Next, why do you feel the need to do a Dana number and resort to out right lying to make a point? Do you like to be extreme and lie to make a point? Can't you make a point without being extreme and making lies as you go in making your point? You do it more and more often than before.
See, you're a liar that I attack Nomo day in and day out. You're a liar that I come here day in and day out and call her names. Your a liar that day in and day out I attack her as a person with names. Lies, lies, lies. Why are you resorting to lies?
I haven't ripped into Nomo using derogatory words for almost a week and a half. And when I did it, it was to false accusations she made of me in outright lies like you made in this post. And I didn't attack Nomo as a person. I attacked her dark, foul, vile negative ATTITUDE she brings here and uses like a six shooter for whoever's on her *hit list that day.
As to me saying things to drive Nomo to suicide, I'm sure even she chuckled at you hearing that remark in you thinking my words have that much influence on her which she knows isn't true. I have asked and pleaded for her to stop with her negative attitude for well over a year and to just converse in a civil tone and she'd get along with so many that don't get along with her now because of that negative foul attitude she unleashes on people.
Of lately she has been speaking in a civil tone without being extreme or using lies and it's really nice to converse with her now even if she or I use the words prejudicial bigot to describe each other :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33283 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I've defended Mouse on occasion also, does that bother you too?
That's an interesting statement. You defended Mouse? From who? Yourself? Nomo? Dana? You Nomo and Dana are the only three who consistently jump her posts. When did you defend her and from whom? Please paste the occasions and educate me that you did this. I don't remember you ever having defended Mouse from anyone. Please jog my bad memory.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33284 Apr 1, 2014
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
He thinks typing the word shit is vile..but typing a "*" for the "i" makes it all ok. An asterisk makes all the difference in his world.
Umm not. I don't think that. Why do you need to lie about me? What is your need to make lies? I never stated saying shit is vile. Purposefully calling someone shit is vile. Using the word shit in a sentence isn't vile, it's just lame. When you or Dana use the word shit in a sentence to me, I have used it in a sentence back to you to see if you could appreciate how intelligent it sounds to use it, maybe you missed that point?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33285 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
I'm just really not sure why you dragged Unicor into the conversation. Is it to show that government takes advantage of slave labor?
Holy moly, do you ever have a disconnect for making statements and then later not even understanding what you said as you'll deny it later as what it actually said that you said. The following was your original statement of forced labor.

1. Forced Labor under international standards means all work or service which is exacted from any person under the means of any penalty for it's non performance and for which the worker does not offer themselves voluntarily, and includes indentured service.
2. Forced labor includes work performed or obtained by force, fraud, coercion including:
A. by threats of serious body harm to, or physical restraint against any person;
B. by means of any scheme, plan or pattern intended to cause the person to believe that, if the person did not perform such labor or service, that person or another person would suffer serious harm or physical restraint; or
C. by means of the abuse or threatened abuse of law or legal process.

You gave the following two (2) definitions I took from those you pasted of forced labor. They apply to what is done to prison inmates in the US. That makes anything they do forced labor. You said you were against forced labor yet you seem to only be against forced labor as you want to define it as being that, not when it actually is defined as being forced labor by your own definition.

The following definitions are defined for US inmates of prisons state and federal and even some jails.
1. Forced Labor under international standards means all work or service which is exacted from any person under the means of any penalty for it's non performance and for which the worker does not offer themselves voluntarily, and includes indentured service.
2. Forced labor includes work performed or obtained by force, fraud, coercion

And this was just a really ignorant and stupid statement......

"But just by your own words you paint an absurd picture, as in this statement, "So forcing prisoners to work by threatening them to be locked up in a small tiny {not redundant as usual} cell till they gave in...} really, opposed to what, being locked up in a large spacious cell?"

Prisoners were to be locked up. Period. Nothing else to be added. Governments found if they forced inmates through coercion and threats they could get inmates out of their cells to do the work hired civilians were suppose to be doing for those prisoners. It saved $. It was a win win situation for the government. Force a prisoner to work by letting them think it was a earned privilege to work in the institution and that was one more job uncle Sam didn't have to fill with a civilian employee.

UNICOR is a made for profit forced labor industry. Do you understand? Off of forced labor UNICOR makes hundreds of millions of dollars in a single year. They do that off of forced labor. Can you connect to understand that fact?

Location hidden

#33286 Apr 1, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Umm not. I don't think that. Why do you need to lie about me? What is your need to make lies? I never stated saying shit is vile. Purposefully calling someone shit is vile. Using the word shit in a sentence isn't vile, it's just lame. When you or Dana use the word shit in a sentence to me, I have used it in a sentence back to you to see if you could appreciate how intelligent it sounds to use it, maybe you missed that point?
What point? The point that you write *hit and sh*t instead of shit and feel all smug and superior because you used an asterisk? Right, loony...who is that asterisk for? The topix police? People who would somehow be more offended if you used the word shit instead of replacing one of the letters with an asterisk? Who are those people? Your fans? Hahaha.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#33287 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Not a victim, good to hear. Why do you keep portraying yourself as a victim? Why do yo still have that victim mentality? You got a long way to go, but hey, we are all rooting for you.
Don't we all have a long way to go? AND, the trials we bare won't stop until we get to go home.

I was on heavy meds until a few days ago that's the reason you got my story out of me. I read back to your disgust of the truth of it all... but some of us have heavy crosses to bare like Jesus, Job, so many, in fact most... just in different ways.

You still don't know me. I came here and found my voice why because I found out I didn't have one and I'm a survivor... see that is not a victim mentality. That is a survivor mentality. You have a problem you find a way to fix it or deal with it.

Some things are not our fault... it's just our responsibility to fix them.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#33288 Apr 1, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>By the way Mouse, nobody here said you are old, though we are all getting older. If you don't remember where you were when JFK was killed your not even close to being old.
Interesting...

I guess the part that I forgot to mention is that for 17 years I have had cancer.... I'm on suppressant therapy... My body feels old sometimes... I get tired of being tested sometimes that gets old.

Thanks for saying nobody here said I was old... but is incorrect... when Dana believed I was Carol... I think he kept saying I was in my 60's.... over and over. That's how old the real Carol is... she is in her 60's I think 65... but I can't remember and truthfully it's not that important to me.

Location hidden

#33289 Apr 1, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting...

I guess the part that I forgot to mention is that for 17 years I have had cancer.... I'm on suppressant therapy... My body feels old sometimes... I get tired of being tested sometimes that gets old.

Thanks for saying nobody here said I was old... but is incorrect... when Dana believed I was Carol... I think he kept saying I was in my 60's.... over and over. That's how old the real Carol is... she is in her 60's I think 65... but I can't remember and truthfully it's not that important to me.
So you know carol?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33290 Apr 2, 2014
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
What point? The point that you write *hit and sh*t instead of shit and feel all smug and superior because you used an asterisk? Right, loony...who is that asterisk for? The topix police? People who would somehow be more offended if you used the word shit instead of replacing one of the letters with an asterisk? Who are those people? Your fans? Hahaha.
Maybe you're special to Topix administrators and you get a by on using cuss words. But when I use cuss words, I get a warning 'most'(not all) of the time. That is why I use asterisks so I don't usually get a warning.
Why don't you send a note to Topix administrators using cuss words and see if they do nothing or say something.
lol.....I feel superior because I use an asterisk?.....lol....fricking what a looney toon you are...lol

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#33291 Apr 2, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>... Personally, I don't believe in the concept of good and evil, so could you define that concept?
You know what good is and you know what evil is... you are playing games to get him riled up.

There are people that do bad things but that doesn't make them evil... that is still good but you need forgiveness to go be with Heavenly Father in the end.

There are people that do good things and that's how they live their life... they will go be with Heavenly Father in the end.

Pure evil... like Manson and I'm going to say etc. are evil... and I don't believe there are a chance for them to be with Heavenly Father in the end.

//
I'm not going to play 50 posts before you understand my definition. If you don't like it that doesn't mean you don't understand it. My hand hurts and I'm done with this post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More Problems with the Book of Mormon Fri Nancy 35
Mitt Romney is a turd Fri Bull Durham 36
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Thu Malcolm 85
News In a national first, LGBT advocates sue Utah sc... Thu StraightYOP 18
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) Wed Kathi 28,896
Utah sucks Dec 6 Lajeanna 3
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Dec 2 Robin 34

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance