Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,004

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#31443 Jan 16, 2014
pearl wrote:
And what do you mean by, "Human nature is to exist as any living specie"? I can't exist as any specie, I can only exist as human.
Put any living specie in a setting where their life is threatened to cease and what will most do? They will fight to exist. Understand? Am I still confusing you? Before anything else, the need to exist comes first. That's human nature. it has always been human nature. Thus my statement was very clear. Human nature is to exist as any living specie's natural instinct be it bird, fish, insect, rodent, etc is to exist. Understand?
I'll say it this way if it helps. Your natural instinct to exist is no different than most any other living mammal's natural instinct to exist. For most all living things be they cells or mammals, to exist is the first and primary natural instinct.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#31444 Jan 16, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>And seriously Surprise, do you really think most humans wanted to kill other humans, that is until laws changed that?
You should have understood that I wasn't being explicit in the word 'want' when I used it in relation to humans killing other humans. If that was true, we wouldn't exist because we all would want to kill and thus we would have killed off our specie thousands of years ago.
The want to kill is predicated on a number of factors was my meaning when I said humans want to kill. The 'urge' for a better word to kill is what I should have wrote.
If you wish to see an example of humans having an urge to kill based on varying psychological social and economic factors that they follow, I would suggest you read of Chicago's or DC's murder rates or maybe the homicide rates taking place in Mexico where people don't care what laws say they shouldn't be doing.
And yes to your question. People of past centuries where laws didn't exist, if a person wanted to kill someone for whatever reason they did it and probably usually felt justified. But when laws began to be made restricting humans from killing each other or be punished by death or severe punishment, "MOST" people would think twice before committing the act as is proof today where most people refrain from killing others whom they may have felt the urge to kill for some various reason and didn't.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#31445 Jan 16, 2014
pearl wrote:
As for your abortion analogy, I've never claimed that killing isn't instinctive, in the pursuit of survival. But your line of reasoning is off, If these women have a want to kill, as you seem to have claimed earlier, then they would be getting pregnant and aborting on a regular basis, just to fulfill the desire to kill. No, reasonable sane people don't want to kill and it's not because there are laws.
Noooo. You said in one or more ways killing wasn't a natural instinct of humans. Now your stating it is. Which is it?
By the way, my reasoning wasn't off but your's is because I didn't reference females that wanted to get pregnant so they could kill off the fetus. I said in description that females who BECOME pregnant that don't want to raise soon to be baby instinctively kill it so they don't have to raise said baby.
Humans have an instinct to kill. That's a scientific fact. We have a natural instinct to kill/murder. But we also by behavior installed into us through out tens of thousands of years regulate our instinct to kill/murder. That's based on behavior. Natural instinct didn't regulate when to kill/murder and when not to. That's ludicrous to even contemplate it.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#31446 Jan 16, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Debating things he didn't claim isn't going to change the truth of his statement or save the sinking LDS church.
Is that the best debate you have?

Pointing out a fact and quoting Tares of Wheat in the next post for people out of the BIBLE... is not acceptable to you?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31447 Jan 16, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's lame, fruitloop.
figures... you are calling the Scriptures Lame. That's un-Christian of you.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31449 Jan 16, 2014
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the aharvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together bfirst the tares, and bind them in bundles to cburn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

31 ¶Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a agrain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the abirds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

33 ¶Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto aleaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in aparables; I will utter things which have been kept bsecret from the foundation of the world.

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the atares of the field.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good aseed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the atares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; athe bharvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31450 Jan 16, 2014
40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the aend of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his aangels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that boffend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be awailing and bgnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the arighteous bshine forth as the csun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

44 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto atreasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

45 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:

46 Who, when he had found one apearl of great price, went and sold ball that he had, and bought it.

47 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and agathered of every kind:

48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.

49 So shall it be at the aend of the bworld: the angels shall come forth, and csever the wicked from among the djust,

50 aAnd shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

51 Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord.

52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every ascribe bwhich is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

53 ¶And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence.

54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were aastonished, and said, Whence hath this man this bwisdom, and these mighty works?

55 Is not this the carpenter’s ason? is not his mother called Mary? and his bbrethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?

57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without ahonour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their aunbelief.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31452 Jan 16, 2014
oops sorry if i reposted

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#31453 Jan 16, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, idiot's understand each other perfectly. This coming from one that thinks the earth is only 5,000 yrs old. That Smith saw angels with gold plates, and that God really gives a fart what kind of underwear you have on. Of course the hypocrisy and jackass thinking of No Standards makes sense, because you never make sense, Carol.
Back to childish name calling because you can? Why of course lol. Also, you should quit using the word hypocrisy because so far each time you have used it you have used it incorrectly. You haven't used the word correctly yet.
Also as I have told you, no one knows the actual age of this earth by theological theory. Except to say if what the Bible says is true that a thousand years for man is a day for God, than you must consider six days to create and one to rest equaling the first seven thousand years. And according to the Biblical time line we are at the end of the sixth day of God's time since his day of rest. That leaves one day left for the millennium before the day of judgement takes place. That's a total of fourteen thousand years, not seven or five.
But even with that information, a thousand years isn't always just that. Could be a bit longer. We also have an unknown amount of time that Adam and Eve spent in the garden after God's day of rest and their eviction from it. And than their's an unknown amount of time to take place between the end of the millennium and the judgement day when Satan is freed for a spell.
But the point of the time factor is if you believe a God made this earth and heavens, a time period for making it and for how much time humans have been on it does exist. Understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#31454 Jan 16, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
My source was LDS. Your source was nothing, nada, like your logic.
Mormonism new math: "4 million really equals 12 million boys and girls. Why? Because the church says so." Another "angel with flaming sword" or "Quakers on the Moon" story if you ask me. LOL!!!
Why can't you post from intelligence? Is it really that hard to do? Just say it is and I'll understand why you post such illogical ravings.
You said your source was LDS. But you said the LDS membership was 4 million, not 12 million. But no such LDS source claims any such statement. So you're non-LDS site was a lie and you perpetuated that lie. That makes you a liar by purpose. Your logic was nada, flawed, incorrect and wrong. Understand?
When you get into the statistical data of any organization of a million or more you will always have issues and discrepancies of the data. By the way, according to the data that most use that the LDS church uses they hit 4 million back in 1977-78. That would mean according to your logic as you stated it, they haven't had a single conversion/baptism in over 30 years. And you claim your source was reliable? lol....

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#31455 Jan 16, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
For the most part the majority of Evangelical Protestant Christian fellowships tally their membership by counting each year those tithing regularly and attending regular who have been baptized and renewing voting membership on an annual basis that is what are called members. That way they know how many have left.
The RCC and the LDS do not, they count there membership by those who are baptized LDS or RCC, they will now always be counted as member until they die regardless of attendance.
They may have not walked through the Door in a LDS or RCC building for 50 years but if they were baptized they are still counted.
Smaller numbered religions have to tally those paying tithing, those attending through recorded information like name logs and baptisms/conversions. If they tallied their numbers only be conversions/baptisms their numbers would be so very low as to yearly growth
So of course larger religion like Catholic and LDS go largely by baptism/conversion numbers to analyze yearly growth.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31456 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Back to childish name calling because you can? Why of course lol. Also, you should quit using the word hypocrisy because so far each time you have used it you have used it incorrectly. You haven't used the word correctly yet.
Also as I have told you, no one knows the actual age of this earth by theological theory. Except to say if what the Bible says is true that a thousand years for man is a day for God, than you must consider six days to create and one to rest equaling the first seven thousand years. And according to the Biblical time line we are at the end of the sixth day of God's time since his day of rest. That leaves one day left for the millennium before the day of judgement takes place. That's a total of fourteen thousand years, not seven or five.
But even with that information, a thousand years isn't always just that. Could be a bit longer. We also have an unknown amount of time that Adam and Eve spent in the garden after God's day of rest and their eviction from it. And than their's an unknown amount of time to take place between the end of the millennium and the judgement day when Satan is freed for a spell.
But the point of the time factor is if you believe a God made this earth and heavens, a time period for making it and for how much time humans have been on it does exist. Understand?
Dana,

We know you don't believe in Genesis... Do you believe in Adam and Eve?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31457 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't you post from intelligence? Is it really that hard to do? Just say it is and I'll understand why you post such illogical ravings.
You said your source was LDS. But you said the LDS membership was 4 million, not 12 million. But no such LDS source claims any such statement. So you're non-LDS site was a lie and you perpetuated that lie. That makes you a liar by purpose. Your logic was nada, flawed, incorrect and wrong. Understand?
When you get into the statistical data of any organization of a million or more you will always have issues and discrepancies of the data. By the way, according to the data that most use that the LDS church uses they hit 4 million back in 1977-78. That would mean according to your logic as you stated it, they haven't had a single conversion/baptism in over 30 years. And you claim your source was reliable? lol....
They will claim their non-LDS tally is satire... because it doesn't come from an authorized source that would know that data.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#31458 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Smaller numbered religions have to tally those paying tithing, those attending through recorded information like name logs and baptisms/conversions. If they tallied their numbers only be conversions/baptisms their numbers would be so very low as to yearly growth
So of course larger religion like Catholic and LDS go largely by baptism/conversion numbers to analyze yearly growth.
Each meeting a priesthood holder who holds that calling takes a tally of how many people are in each class (including Sacrament). THIS OCCURS IN EACH LDS MEETING HOUSE EVERY SUNDAY. That's a lot of counting.

Church members have home teachers and visiting teachers... that come visit the members every month ( the active and the non-active alike UNLESS they say please don't come anymore). They do this to make sure their okay and see if they need anything, and see if they can teach the lesson of the month, sometimes they sit and hold a hand and listen to each other.

When people are sick and can't make it to Church... the Priesthood holders are tasked to service these members, they are asked if they would like to receive the Sacrament at home once a month from the Priesthood holders who come to their home.

I've seen a Ward jump in to help a family in need. About 2 years ago a sister in our Ward... oh gosh I think she has 5 kids, her husband got hit by a Semi. He was hospitalized for 3 or 4 weeks I believe. Sisters, missionaries, priesthood holders joined in to assist their family. Jumping in to help babysit her kids (she still had to work and she had to take care of her husband). During Church you would see everyone diving in to help any way they could. People brought her meals and food. It's nice to see such giving and service from people.

At the first of the year one of my sons offered to help a co-worker move. She wasn't a Mormon, but he knows how important service is and how important helping others is. He helped her move half way across the US... he drove the U-haul, towing a vehicle, she drove a different car. She gave him 100 dollars. It cost him 500+ to get back home. He didn't complain... he just said that's enough and Thanks. He has always been like that... and it's good to see people helping other people.

The Church teaches service and how important it is. I see members jumping in to help in community projects, I've seen my husband stop numerous times to help strangers get their keys that they locked in their car, help push a vehicle out of the road, stop in the heat of the day and help get someone's car started.

***There are members that are just not able to go and sit in Church physically. They don't count them in the tallies... but they are there and they are still strong believing members. Each LDS meeting house, be it, a Stake building, Ward or Branch building keeps tallies of their members - there is a standard of how it is done.

The complaint about membership totals can not be established by the people who wrote that article. They are forgetting all this occurs because it is convenient to them OR they just don't know... maybe they just don't want to know.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#31459 Jan 16, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Does a Baptist attend 100% or the time = DOUBTFUL
Does a Pentecost attend 100% or the time = DOUBTFUL
Does a Methodist attend 100% or the time = DOUBTFUL
Does a Coptic attend 100% or the time = DOUBTFUL
... You're Analysis is that of a lunatic.
Ah no that be you looking in the mirror lunatic

I sorry only thing crazy is the LDS saying someone who attends 0% of the time is a member.
pearl

Kaysville, UT

#31460 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Noooo. You said in one or more ways killing wasn't a natural instinct of humans. Now your stating it is. Which is it?
By the way, my reasoning wasn't off but your's is because I didn't reference females that wanted to get pregnant so they could kill off the fetus. I said in description that females who BECOME pregnant that don't want to raise soon to be baby instinctively kill it so they don't have to raise said baby.
Humans have an instinct to kill. That's a scientific fact. We have a natural instinct to kill/murder. But we also by behavior installed into us through out tens of thousands of years regulate our instinct to kill/murder. That's based on behavior. Natural instinct didn't regulate when to kill/murder and when not to. That's ludicrous to even contemplate it.
There is absolutely nowhere that I have said killing wasn't a natural human instinct. And why do you write to make it look like murder and killing are one in the same? Murder surely is always a killing, but a killing is not always a murder.
pearl

Kaysville, UT

#31461 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have understood that I wasn't being explicit in the word 'want' when I used it in relation to humans killing other humans. If that was true, we wouldn't exist because we all would want to kill and thus we would have killed off our specie thousands of years ago.
The want to kill is predicated on a number of factors was my meaning when I said humans want to kill. The 'urge' for a better word to kill is what I should have wrote.
If you wish to see an example of humans having an urge to kill based on varying psychological social and economic factors that they follow, I would suggest you read of Chicago's or DC's murder rates or maybe the homicide rates taking place in Mexico where people don't care what laws say they shouldn't be doing.
And yes to your question. People of past centuries where laws didn't exist, if a person wanted to kill someone for whatever reason they did it and probably usually felt justified. But when laws began to be made restricting humans from killing each other or be punished by death or severe punishment, "MOST" people would think twice before committing the act as is proof today where most people refrain from killing others whom they may have felt the urge to kill for some various reason and didn't.
I asked you three times if you really meant your claim that most people want to kill. I even specifically said before we go any further if that was your claim. Your response was "Now you are reading what I wrote" At that point why would I not think you were being explicit? You say I should have understood otherwise, why? I asked you three times. I'm only able to read what you write, I can't read your mind. If you say something I suspect you mean it. Silly me or what?
pearl

Kaysville, UT

#31462 Jan 16, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Human History is some 6000+ years that is a fact for Christians, the math and the human population are 100% plausible when one does the math backwards to Adam Eve to get this time frame.
The issue of how old the earth is still not a an exact science as when the Humble telescope went up and did the red shift calculations outside the atmosphere we went form 4 billion to 8 billion years old the Universe that is, what we know only now is only the tip of the Iceberg with more advancement in cosmetology scientists expect this will change again.
That being said we have no idea how much time the earth universe aged while Adam and Eve were in the garden before the fall and aging entered them, I.E. death, they could have past what we call a year a million times or billion times or 10 billion times before they began to age due to the curse of sinning.
We simply don't know as the Bible does not address how long they were in the Garden before the fall.
The study of "cosmetology" is done in a hair salon and there is no "Humble" telescope. That's just the beginning of what's wrong with your post.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#31463 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow I can't believe how stupid you are, and the one that agrees with is a complete Idiot.

Catholicism - 1.2 billion
Eastern Orthodoxy - 225–300 million
Oriental Orthodoxy - 86 million
Anglicanism - 85 million
Protestantism - 600 million

LDS 14 million. what a joke most in bread in one state.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if its a number games the LDS don't qualify as a Religion let alone Christian your numbers are not even a drop in the ocean.
pearl

Kaysville, UT

#31464 Jan 16, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I woul'd say you have to be joking that you haven't noticed that females are taking over more and more leadership positions in our society in the last century of the work force and political field and males are ruling less and less as each decade goes by but, you did state you haven't noticed any of that taking place so to you I understand it was a dumb statement. According to your statement in the above, women are still chained to the home and popping out the kids and have achieved nothing more. I understand I was wrong to your information :)
You said, "males rule very little any more" again, is this exactly what you mean? And I didn't say as you claim "that I haven't noticed any of that taking place" I said I don't see a lot of women as heads of state, presidents, senator or CEO's. That's not the same as saying "haven't noticed any of that taking place." Why are saying my claims are different than they are? And if you really do mean "males rule very little any more" than who are all the heads of state, because they for the most part, aren't women.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 23 min uiha 27,096
Utah man, 77, charged for sunbathing nude 2 hr -Lea- 11
(Mrs.) Marie Osmond Sat Call me JC - really 2
female snapchst users. Sat xragnerosx 1
last post wins! (Jul '11) Dec 18 Concerned_American 351
Utah Ophthalmologists Improve Vision During Cat... (Nov '13) Dec 16 Pavlos Lombardi 3
Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Dec 12 Tagumpay 217

Avalanche Warning for Salt Lake County was issued at December 22 at 5:38AM MST

Salt Lake City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Salt Lake City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Salt Lake City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salt Lake City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News