Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

pearl

Sandy, UT

#29387 Nov 16, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
mouse or Mouse is fine... lol
Pearl... you learned Hopi-Navajo as a youngster it's sometimes hard to adapt to another language. You should give yourself a break. BTW... I think you are the original Pearl now.:)
Your concern is thoughtful. However, I function better when under pressure. And thanks for acknowledging who I am.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29388 Nov 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, there's no difference between a non-Mormon and a non-active Mormon. They are essentially one and the same for habits/addictions etc except one has their name on the LDS records. So your correlation is lacking because it's quite obvious active Mormons are the true minority in Utah with non-Mormon and non-active Mormon being the majority. So all of the above would logically pertain to non-Mormons and non-active Mormons. Very few true blue active Mormons since they're the small, tiny minority in Utah would be found in those statistics. Understand?
So, me being a non-Mormon and you being a non-active Mormon are essentially one in the same? I'm going to have a hard time wrapping my head around that one. But for the sake of argument, sure pal whatever you say.

Ya know, I also read that Utah has the highest rate of volunteerism. Since Mormons are the "true minority" especially active Mormons, all the above would logically pertain to non-Mormons and non-active Mormons. Very few true blue active Mormons, since they're the small, tiny minority in this state would be found in those statistics. Yeah, I understand.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29389 Nov 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Let alone correct? lol....I'm game. Paste anything from my past posts (with exception to personal opinion) that wasn't correct that you decided not to correct me about....
PS...I'm really trying on the shorter posts, it's really tough! lol ;)P
There's an easy solution to shorten your posts. Don't spend an entire paragraph going into repeated detail stating Dana is a frigging liar, lol, frigging whore, lol, frigging idiot, lol and let's not forget the always passionate, lol frigging mentally retarded remarks, lol. Paragraphs do add up quickly and there's no need to keep repeating yourself, we really do comprehend.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29390 Nov 16, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about your spelling and grammar.
Since the lines are so deeply drawn, I really don't want to see descent among the ranks . So I'm going to walk away from this one.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29391 Nov 16, 2013
ThePreacherman01 wrote:
<quoted text>You got me 100% wrong I don't do the things you might think I do. I don't live in the pass, I live day by day and I let the Holy Sprit guide me not mankind....
Well there's your problem friend, you're letting something other than your own wisdom guide you.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29392 Nov 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/lds_LowSuic...
Did that local news have this news? Some here will puke about the following...lol...
Suicide rates in each of the four age categories studied--15 to 19 years, 20 to 24 years, 25 to 29 years, and 30 to 34 years--were lower among active members of the LDS church than among less active LDS church members, nonmembers and males in the general US population, the report indicates.
Academic Articles about
Suicide Rate among Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
American Journal of Epidemiology:
Active Latter-day Saints Seven Times Less Likely to Commit Suicide
SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology 2002;155:413-419. Write-up in: "High Religious Commitment Linked to Less Suicide", by Charnicia E. Huggins (Reuters Health), Daily News (6 March 2002), URL: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20020306/hl...
NEW YORK (Reuters Health)- Young Mormon men living in Utah who closely adhere to the dictates of their faith are less likely to commit suicide than their peers who are less active in the church, study findings show.
For more than 10 years, 15- to 34-year-old males in Utah have had suicide rates markedly higher than those seen nationally. In fact, in the early to mid-1990s, suicide was the number one cause of death among 25- to 44-year-old men in the state and the second-leading cause of death among men aged 15 to 24.
"These results provide evidence that a low level of religious commitment is a potential risk factor for suicide," Dr. Sterling C. Hilton of Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, and his colleagues write in the March 1st issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology.
"If the observed association is real, then it gives us another piece of information that helps us understand suicide... which might help efforts to reduce it," Hilton told Reuters Health.
Hilton and his colleagues investigated the relationship between suicide and religiosity in an analysis of 1991-1995 state death records from the Utah State Department of Health, as well as data from the LDS church and the US Census Bureau.
Roughly 27,740 male deaths occurred during the study period, including 551 suicides among 15 to 34 year olds, the investigators report. About 6 in 10 of these suicides were committed by male members of the LDS church.
Suicide rates in each of the four age categories studied--15 to 19 years, 20 to 24 years, 25 to 29 years, and 30 to 34 years--were lower among active members of the LDS church than among less active LDS church members, nonmembers and males in the general US population, the report indicates.
"About six in ten of these suicides were committed by male members of the LDS church." So even you don't read what you write? And to think, they {Mormons} are the minority, yet, six in ten. This entire post is one of the most ridiculous things you've come up with. No wonder the poor slobs are baffled, every conclusion they came to is a contradiction.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29393 Nov 16, 2013
And if I hear one more newscast regarding the Mormon missionary miracle in the Philippines, I probably will puke. There, I feel better. Good night.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29394 Nov 17, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>"About six in ten of these suicides were committed by male members of the LDS church." So even you don't read what you write? And to think, they {Mormons} are the minority, yet, six in ten. This entire post is one of the most ridiculous things you've come up with. No wonder the poor slobs are baffled, every conclusion they came to is a contradiction.
Great catch, Pearl. HAHAHAHA!!!

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#29395 Nov 17, 2013
pearl wrote:
And if I hear one more newscast regarding the Mormon missionary miracle in the Philippines, I probably will puke. There, I feel better. Good night.
Sorry Pearl.

I don't have TV and hadn't heard anything about the situation in the Philippines. Here in the woods we barely have the Internet... and then yesterday my laptop had to go in for repair. So, I am responding now on a loaner laptop.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865590735/...

I read the story regarding the Philippines and was inspired by the missionaries telling how people were helping each other. When in a crisis it is amazing how people respond... unfortunately the looters and criminals respond also.

I recently watched a movie documentary about the plagues. I was amazed that the criminals and hermits from the hills were the ones burying the people... nobody else would do it often not even their loved ones (if they were alive and not sick also).

Do you go to Church Pearl? If so what denomination? I'm acquainted with quite a few denominations. It's interesting... however, if you would rather not say the denomination I will understand :)

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29396 Nov 17, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
School is not a church, if it is done right.
You probably learn nothing from Church or School... there is something for taking away and adding to the Gospel - which is what you do - but that is not what Christ wants from you.

Perhaps you should read Genesis maybe you will learn something.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29397 Nov 17, 2013
ThePreacherman01 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe in denomination faith of any kind or non-denomination. This may be hard for you to understand but I made the Bible my Church. I am a Pastor and my Churches are called Soul-Winners and Faith Builders Churches I have got 5 Churches. Four of those Churches are here in the USA and one in Vietnam they are street Churches.
This is strange.

Do you believe in God? Are you a Christian, Buddhist, or what?

I'm really not sure what message you are trying to send.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29398 Nov 17, 2013
Preacher

... maybe I get it...

Are you a one man "independent" guy that stands on a street corner holding up the Bible in one hand while yelling at people:

Repent or Parish?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29399 Nov 17, 2013
Please explain. I truly don't get what you do or the message you are trying to send.

Marysville, CA

#29400 Nov 17, 2013
Mormon faith brought serial killer to Utah

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57102336-78...

"Franklin said he joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1974, at age 24, while living in Atlanta.

"Franklin said he liked the faith’s strict stance on fornication and its prohibitions on smoking, alcoholic beverages, coffee and tea — the latter stimulants that affect a person’s nerves, he added.

"On a mission » His enthusiasm for the LDS Church faded and within a few years Franklin said he became disillusioned with "their attitude on race." In 1978, the LDS Church allowed African-Americans to become members of its lay priesthood."

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#29401 Nov 17, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a lot of BS for for not having any documentation. As for your "evidence". I said the very same thing concerning the honesty of membership numbers listed and you cried foul at the time.
What very same thing did you say of the honesty of membership numbers? What was the conversation about?

This is called a source you seem to have a problem understanding...
American Journal of Epidemiology:
Active Latter-day Saints Seven Times Less Likely to Commit Suicide
SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology 2002;155:413-419. Write-up in: "High Religious Commitment Linked to Less Suicide", by Charnicia E. Huggins (Reuters Health)...the fact that you want documentation that you 99.99% of the time never even give in a link for your own statements with credible/non-credible information isn't surprising.
Also you didn't note this was a set of BYU professors critiquing their own religion and Mormon suicide statistics verses inactive Mormon and non-Mormon suicide rates.
You don't like the fact that this information would more than likely also reflect(if researched) strict religious observers of most any faith having less suicide rates than less active and non-member statistics.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29402 Nov 17, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
...right. You're still doing it. Stay pathetic..
...lol...right. And that came from your lips that have mastered the defamation of people's characters in this thread and other threads for at least a year....pleaseeee.
I stated Curtis should have been responsible for his behavior instead of finding a scapegoat for it as he did for several months while at BYU. He finally owed up to his own choices. When will you?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29404 Nov 17, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>There's an easy solution to shorten your posts. Don't spend an entire paragraph going into repeated detail stating Dana is a frigging liar, lol, frigging whore, lol, frigging idiot, lol and let's not forget the always passionate, lol frigging mentally retarded remarks, lol. Paragraphs do add up quickly and there's no need to keep repeating yourself, we really do comprehend.
lol...yeah yeah so I have some weak points for real stupidity, I'm working on it ;P

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29405 Nov 17, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>"About six in ten of these suicides were committed by male members of the LDS church." So even you don't read what you write? And to think, they {Mormons} are the minority, yet, six in ten. This entire post is one of the most ridiculous things you've come up with. No wonder the poor slobs are baffled, every conclusion they came to is a contradiction.
No. There wasn't a contradiction except if you twist the information to glean one where there was none which you and dana do so very often it's becoming a normal pattern of you both.
There's a distinction you're for some reason based in idiocy not acknowledging. That's on you.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29406 Nov 17, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Mormon faith brought serial killer to Utah
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57102336-78...
"Franklin said he joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1974, at age 24, while living in Atlanta.
"Franklin said he liked the faith’s strict stance on fornication and its prohibitions on smoking, alcoholic beverages, coffee and tea — the latter stimulants that affect a person’s nerves, he added.
"On a mission » His enthusiasm for the LDS Church faded and within a few years Franklin said he became disillusioned with "their attitude on race." In 1978, the LDS Church allowed African-Americans to become members of its lay priesthood."
Hey dana, there's someone you can identify with. He was disillusioned with the new LDS race attitude policy like you!

Marysville, CA

#29407 Nov 17, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
What very same thing did you say of the honesty of membership numbers? What was the conversation about?
Go back, reread the posts, and you're figure it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Aug 15 ray 42
News A police officer ruined their Subway business, ... Aug 14 Overgrownelf79 1
So what's going on with Paul Swenson? Aug 13 Jescrane 2
I love Utah farts Aug 11 JuicyNoodles 1
Prostitutes In Valley Fair Mall.. (Oct '08) Aug 9 Slcnaked 57
why did hamulin get excommunicated Aug 8 kim kardashian 1
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Aug 8 Covenant6080 52

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salt Lake City Mortgages