Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32070 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

#29092 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Man....this is where your ignorance is so based on assumptions it stinks through the screen. Penfold NEVER said the Mormon church wasn't true. You assume that and as usual have made an ass of yourself. Penfold quit the church because he had differences with it's practices and rules and traditions. He's a strong feminist believer.
Below was a declaration Penfold made on his FB profile on Nov 5th 2013.
"Curtis Penfold
November 5 near Provo, UT
A VARIETY OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED WHAT I BELIEVE AND I THOUGHT I'D SHARE FOR THOSE WHO WERE INTERESTED.(FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T, FORGIVE ME FOR MY NARCISSISTIC RAMBLINGS APPEARING ON YOUR WALL).
No, I don't believe there's a God. I don't believe in supernatural entities, in ghosts, in spirits, in energy. I try to remain open that these, like faeries, unicorns and aliens, may exist, but in the mean time, I will doubt their existence until given enough evidence to convince me otherwise.
Now observe the change of what he believes just two months later.
Please absorb the below. It was written on Jan 14th 2013 this year. TBM do not, true blue Mormons do not look for the truth in every path of spiritualism as Penfold admits to doing. And a TBM doesn't play in the occult. That would be akin to a true blue Jew playing in Christianity for more truths than the Torah gives. Simply not done.
"Religiously, I'm a Mormon universalist who looks for the truth in every path. But I'm also a bit of a skeptic."
Curtis Penfold
Citizen
Talking I'm back
So, I'm not new, but I haven't really hung out here for almost three years, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.
My name's Curtis. I'm trying to study journalism at BYU in Utah. I joined this site a few years ago because I loved the symbolism of Tarot. I'm now just entering Tarot as an actual method for divining, and I've been enjoying the experience.
Religiously, I'm a Mormon universalist who looks for the truth in every path. But I'm also a bit of a skeptic. Some days, I believe in some kind of supernatural force, and other days I think it's all just in my head.
Regardless, I love anything spiritual.(Whether I think it exists outside of me or just inside of me, I love spirituality for the experience). I'm loving Tarot since it's helping me look at my life from a whole new perspective, and reading for my friends is just a fun experience for me.
Old 14-01-2013
Well as an atheist, I obviously don't believe the claims of the LDS Church are true.

You keep getting dates wrong. I wrote that facebook status November of THIS YEAR.

I wrote that status on that Tarot website January of this year. I identified as agnostic by that point. I was no longer a true blue Mormon. Not at all. I was much more open to experimenting with lots of things. You can see my doubts really settling in there right before I became full-out atheist. I'm already identifying as a skeptic, questioning the existence of a supernatural force. Within just a month, I would decide that I really didn't believe there was anything supernatural going on anywhere.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29093 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It's not always how I post. You don't like my posts when I'm reminding you that you're not posting as an adult or intelligently or as the Christian you claim to be, sometimes with sarcasm.
Most everyone addressed the imposter posing as Penfold as the real penfold. He's very interesting actually. The imposter screwed up in the first couple posts revealing to me they were an imposter. The real Penfold had been dabbling in the occult since high school in Illinois as far back as 2009, maybe earlier. His obsession with the occult continued almost up to the very month he went on a mission. His obsession with the occult began within the month after being returned from his mission.
Also, the only perversion happening here is when a self proclaimed Christian as yourself says some of the perverted things you think of to say.
Dana Robertson wrote:
Did you molest your sons this morning Carol?
Dana Robertson wrote:
She is 65 yr old trailer park trash from Colton Ca
Dana Robertson wrote:
Did you blow your sons today, trailer park trash?
Dana Robertson wrote:
What's wrong, Carol? Sons wouldn't give you any today? Time to go visit Mexico! LOL!!!
Dana Robertson wrote:
YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE TO YOU NEXT SHOW, ho!
Dana Robertson wrote:
When did your husband leave your fat ass?
Those are statements of a sorely perverted mentality of your so called Christian side. Any questions?
I said during the time your girlfriend was talking about how I like to lick shit on little boys dicks. Yet as usual, when it comes to Mormon perverts, you never get around to questioning their Christianity, from J Smith on. But you always like being the ass, so, be the ass. I don't care. You are so sick and demented there is little hope for you. I would love to know what is so screwed up about you that the LDS church won't even take you today, so that tells volumes about how "Christian" you are. You're just a waste of human flesh. Sick in the mind, sick in the soul, if you have one.

Marysville, CA

#29094 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The real Penfold doesn't use "oh shucks" or "oh shoot" in his writings. I read dozens of his posts from 4 different sites. I read his FB comments. Never once in any post that I read from 2009 to 2013 did he use those phrases. You're an impostor and a liar.
And to be noted, there is no parallel between theatre and the occult. One involves actors pretending to be who they aren't. The other involves being who they are and worshipping one or more deities. And the real Penfold worships specific deity(s) without acting.
My, you are such an expert on someone you've never met before. Amazing! What color is his underwear? You are truly a freak. Becoming more and more like your perverted girlfriend Carol, here. You two should get a room.

Marysville, CA

#29095 Nov 10, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
So? Why do you even care what he looks like???
I don't. I enjoy him looking like a horses ass telling a man he knows more about him than he does. It's entertaining.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#29096 Nov 10, 2013
Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm flattered that your such a fan of my writings. But if you check some of my most recent facebook statuses, you'll find me discussing my relationship with the Occult as being similar to my relationship with art, poetry, and theatre.
Think about this for a second. I identify as atheist. And yet, I enjoy pagan and occult rituals and concepts. Why is that? I'm trying to explain it to you. But you keep accusing me of not being me, which is making things difficult. I suggest you read more of my writings so you can better understand how I use a psychological paradigm where all things "religious" or "spiritual" are simply methods to understand my own psyche better, and not to understand external, supernatural entities.
If you think I believe Santa Muerte or Kali are real beings that exist outside of myself, you are mistaken.
I'll give this a go. Let's see how you respond.
You stated the following earlier..." I never lied to get into BYU. I was a full believer at BYU. I spent a year there and then went on a mission AS A FULL BELIEVER. I came back as a believer." Can you explain an error in that statement? Also you did lie in that quote. What was the lie by your own admission you stated a year ago? Logically you can't be a true faithful member of the LDS faith and be active in the occult. You would be disfellowshipped if you didn't repent and quit your interest in it. Any bishop will back that up. How do you justify your claim of being a true blue Mormon while being involved in occult practices while on a mission and while going to BYU? I didn't read that BYU allowed occult as a religious belief to be practiced at their schools. Is that one of your rules as a student at BYU? to be a Mormon that practices the occult and BYU should let you?

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

#29097 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I'm probably not the right person to help you with that..I was just curious
See how you divert??? I didn't ask for your help. Nor would I. Ever. But thanks for helping to prove my point.

Marysville, CA

#29098 Nov 10, 2013
Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>
Before my mission, the only spiritual experience I had outside of traditional Mormonism was going to a Hare Krishna temple and chanting the Hare Krishna chant at the Festival of Colors.
That was the first time I put into practice this concept I was playing with that all these different gods were manifestations of the One True God (which is what I believed at the time). I felt so good chanting the Hare Krishna, that I believed that Krishna was an aspect of God Himself. It was a very powerful moment for me.
But I repeat that I DID NOT PLAY WITH THE OCCULT BEFORE MY MISSION. I was interested in Tarot. I studied the symbolism of Tarot. But I did not READ Tarot, because I thought that me as a Mormon wasn't supposed to. You can ask my mom if you don't believe me. She was there when I ordered my first Tarot deck after the mission. Before then, I was just studying the symbolism of the Tarot through books and online. Also, there is a thread on that Tarot website that you've quoted me from where people get mad at me because I refused to read the Tarot, just to read about it.
I never lied to my bishop nor my stake president to go on a mission. Please stop accusing me of this. I was very open about my beliefs, my actions, and my distaste for our policy on homosexuality to my bishop and stake president. And they still let me go.
Curtis, the mistake you keep making is that you think you're replying to someone who is intelligent and really cares about the truth. No Surprise does not when it comes to the topic of Mormonism at all. His brain is so pickled by the LDS church he'll rationalize my sickness or perversion it preaches. Any and all morality goes out the door, along with any honesty.
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

#29099 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give this a go. Let's see how you respond.
You stated the following earlier..." I never lied to get into BYU. I was a full believer at BYU. I spent a year there and then went on a mission AS A FULL BELIEVER. I came back as a believer." Can you explain an error in that statement? Also you did lie in that quote. What was the lie by your own admission you stated a year ago? Logically you can't be a true faithful member of the LDS faith and be active in the occult. You would be disfellowshipped if you didn't repent and quit your interest in it. Any bishop will back that up. How do you justify your claim of being a true blue Mormon while being involved in occult practices while on a mission and while going to BYU? I didn't read that BYU allowed occult as a religious belief to be practiced at their schools. Is that one of your rules as a student at BYU? to be a Mormon that practices the occult and BYU should let you?
That's easy. I wasn't active in the occult before my mission.

And you know what? Being into the occult is not a good reason to throw somebody out of their school, their work, and their housing. It just isn't. It's so dehumanizing for such a silly thing.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29100 Nov 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I said during the time your girlfriend was talking about how I like to lick shit on little boys dicks. Yet as usual, when it comes to Mormon perverts, you never get around to questioning their Christianity, from J Smith on. But you always like being the ass, so, be the ass. I don't care. You are so sick and demented there is little hope for you. I would love to know what is so screwed up about you that the LDS church won't even take you today, so that tells volumes about how "Christian" you are. You're just a waste of human flesh. Sick in the mind, sick in the soul, if you have one.
I don't question them and their Christianity because in our conversations, your's and mine, to you they're not Christians. So to judge them by Christian standards as I do with you when you state and claim they aren't Christians would be hypocritical to the argument. So they can say whatever and not be held to Christian standards because you claim they aren't Christians.
But you claim and state you're the Christian here. You have stated you're the caring, loving, giving Christian here. So you set yourself up to be judged by Christian standards. When you purposefully fail those standards to say the filthy perverted things you have said you prove you aren't the Christian you claim to be. You don't wear the mantle of Christ when it suits you. Or you shame Christ. And you have shamed Christ often with your filthy perverted speech. When people say filthy vile things to you, don't say them back, that's what a Christian would do. You seem to struggle with that concept.
Now if you really believed mouse was a Christian, I could hold her to Christian standards and Mormons in here. But it makes no sense to hold someone to standards you claim they don't have. But you claim to have them. Understand?

Marysville, CA

#29102 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't question them and their Christianity because in our conversations, your's and mine, to you they're not Christians. So to judge them by Christian standards as I do with you when you state and claim they aren't Christians would be hypocritical to the argument. So they can say whatever and not be held to Christian standards because you claim they aren't Christians.
But you claim and state you're the Christian here. You have stated you're the caring, loving, giving Christian here. So you set yourself up to be judged by Christian standards. When you purposefully fail those standards to say the filthy perverted things you have said you prove you aren't the Christian you claim to be. You don't wear the mantle of Christ when it suits you. Or you shame Christ. And you have shamed Christ often with your filthy perverted speech. When people say filthy vile things to you, don't say them back, that's what a Christian would do. You seem to struggle with that concept.
Now if you really believed mouse was a Christian, I could hold her to Christian standards and Mormons in here. But it makes no sense to hold someone to standards you claim they don't have. But you claim to have them. Understand?
So, it no difference that they claim to being a Christian? I'm the only one who has set the standard? Again you confirm how much of a moron you are, thank you. You also justify my very low opinion of you, a man with no standards in honesty or anything else.

Ozark, MO

#29103 Nov 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>I don't. I enjoy him looking like a horses ass telling a man he knows more about him than he does. It's entertaining.
Exactly my point. If he doesn't think it's him, so what. Who cares?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29104 Nov 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The intelligent ones don't. God gave us a brain to use. Try it sometime.
Christians don't say they would kill Jesus Christ too if he taught the things you, Dana Robertson, disagree with.

Ozark, MO

#29105 Nov 10, 2013
Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>That's easy. I wasn't active in the occult before my mission.

And you know what? Being into the occult is not a good reason to throw somebody out of their school, their work, and their housing. It just isn't. It's so dehumanizing for such a silly thing.
You may not think it is; however, it's a private school and they can mandate any rules and regulations they see fit. You knew the rules and regulations before you applied. Just like everyone else. If you didn't, that's your fault. Don't like it, too bad. Go to a public university. Lick your wounded ego, quit your bitching, and move on.

Ozark, MO

#29106 Nov 10, 2013
Finally this thread is moving again. It's been so boring lately.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29107 Nov 10, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, it no difference that they claim to being a Christian? I'm the only one who has set the standard? Again you confirm how much of a moron you are, thank you. You also justify my very low opinion of you, a man with no standards in honesty or anything else.
Looks like somebody mixed up his meds again.

Location hidden

#29108 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>Exactly my point. If he doesn't think it's him, so what. Who cares?
Obviously you don't. How Mormon of you

Location hidden

#29109 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>You may not think it is; however, it's a private school and they can mandate any rules and regulations they see fit. You knew the rules and regulations before you applied. Just like everyone else. If you didn't, that's your fault. Don't like it, too bad. Go to a public university. Lick your wounded ego, quit your bitching, and move on.
And you think the rules are fair? A non Lds student can convert and remain a student and Lds students can't.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29110 Nov 10, 2013
Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>
That's easy. I wasn't active in the occult before my mission.
I asked questions of your earlier post and you don't respond. Why is that? It's telling.
Also on a certain tarot site you've been a member of since 16 Nov 2009 you have over 600 posts. Your last post there was done in the same year you went on your mission.
And for this topic I'll address you for who ever you are as I'm still not convinced you are the real Penfold. How as a one time Mormon going to a strict Mormon education system did you rationalize that at that overly moral strict theistic school you felt they should be a-okay with you dabbling in the occult while claiming to be a true blue faithful Mormon? Hmmm? How in the *-e-l-l do you rationalize that twisted logic?

Ozark, MO

#29111 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you don't. How Mormon of you
So what? He's entitled to his opinion. See? That's the difference. I let people think and believe what they want. I don't force mine on others. And, that is Mormon of me. Glad to see that I finally got my point across to you. Took long enough.

Ozark, MO

#29112 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>And you think the rules are fair? A non Lds student can convert and remain a student and Lds students can't.
Yes, it is fair. IT'S A PRIVATE UNIVERSITY!!! They can do what they want. Geez, are you really that stupid???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In a national first, LGBT advocates sue Utah sc... 18 hr Bloomp 11
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) 18 hr Lucy 28,895
More Problems with the Book of Mormon Sun Loujean 33
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Sun Cornilious 83
Mitt Romney is a turd Sun Cornilious 31
Utah sucks Sat Jaquell 2
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Dec 2 Robin 34

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance